Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 15:01   #316
BHPian
 
Dante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nasik
Posts: 374
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Hey bro have you ever had a puncture on your tires yet?

How regularly are you checking your tire pressure?
Nitrogen is a pain if tire is punctured.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 20:13   #317
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,367
Thanked: 22,583 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
....Nitrogen is a pain if tire is punctured.
Why would you say that?
(Other than the fact that you have to get your tyre refilled at a station with nitrogen once its repaired/replaced.)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 20:37   #318
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Yeah, saw that vid...then again I met an M5 owner who swore that it made a world of difference to his car. We'll see...
OWS has a good octane booster in their product lineup. You should definitely try it out. German for german.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 20:44   #319
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 343 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Hey bro have you ever had a puncture on your tires yet?

How regularly are you checking your tire pressure?
Nitrogen is a pain if tire is punctured.
Yup, I've had one flat so far, just as I was leaving Pune for Bombay. Had just passed Aundh. Turned around and drove back slowly, fortunately it wasn't fully flat, but was leaking air. Fixed it and came back!

I'd have been in a spot of trouble if it happened on the highway!

As for Nitrogen, it's a scam. My tyres are filled with air. My tyres never get hot enough to make having Nitrogen a requirement (and this is at some pretty crazy speeds, so...)

Last edited by kbk_75 : 28th August 2009 at 20:45.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 20:51   #320
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Yup, I've had one flat so far, just as I was leaving Pune for Bombay. Had just passed Aundh. Turned around and drove back slowly, fortunately it wasn't fully flat, but was leaking air. Fixed it and came back!

I'd have been in a spot of trouble if it happened on the highway!

As for Nitrogen, it's a scam. My tyres are filled with air. My tyres never get hot enough to make having Nitrogen a requirement (and this is at some pretty crazy speeds, so...)
Hehe, thats an input which should be read by those nitrogen lovers. Maybe they can inhale some instead
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 11:37   #321
BHPian
 
Dante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nasik
Posts: 374
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Why would you say that?
(Other than the fact that you have to get your tyre refilled at a station with nitrogen once its repaired/replaced.)

cya
R
Because once you are in middle of a highway with nitrogen filled in, and you get a tire punctured, there might not be a nitrogen available and you might have to fill in normal air at that time and drive slowly and carefully with a tension a tire alignment problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Yup, I've had one flat so far, just as I was leaving Pune for Bombay. Had just passed Aundh. Turned around and drove back slowly, fortunately it wasn't fully flat, but was leaking air. Fixed it and came back!

I'd have been in a spot of trouble if it happened on the highway!

As for Nitrogen, it's a scam. My tyres are filled with air. My tyres never get hot enough to make having Nitrogen a requirement (and this is at some pretty crazy speeds, so...)

Yeah thats the reason i asked.
Woah now thats a trouble with nitrogen.
So you fill normal air in your tires instead of nitrogen?
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 11:53   #322
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 343 Times
Default

Yes, that's what I said. I don't understand your point about alignment, to be honest. The only purpose of using Nitrogen instead of air in pneumatic tyres is that nitrogen does not expand and contract as easily as air at regular tyre temperatures. Therefore, in theory, the pressure of the tyres will remain more constant even if they heat up significantly (for instance if you were driving very hard at a race track).

The simple fact is that street car tyres never get so hot that it makes using Nitrogen a requirement. This is just one more way for you to be separated from your money. Apart from which, how would you even know if your tyres have actually been filled with Nitrogen?
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 16:58   #323
BHPian
 
hkanitkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: pune
Posts: 643
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

kbk - were you in pune today afternoon ? saw a white M3 on Law College road opposite Kobe's.
hkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 17:02   #324
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 343 Times
Default

Nope, someone else.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 22:23   #325
BHPian
 
hkanitkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: pune
Posts: 643
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

ohk.. she sported a reg. 0192 or something similar, and was driven pretty sedately.
hkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 22:54   #326
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 343 Times
Default

Haha! Well that is your answer right there, then!
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:57   #327
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,367
Thanked: 22,583 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Because once you are in middle of a highway with nitrogen filled in, and you get a tire punctured, there might not be a nitrogen available and you might have to fill in normal air at that time and drive slowly and carefully with a tension a tire alignment problem!
Filling regular air if nitrogen is not available is hardly an issue. Just get back to a place with nitrogen and re-inflate. Hardly a loss IMO.

As for tire alignment? I am not sure what your point is either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
....The only purpose of using Nitrogen instead of air in pneumatic tyres is that nitrogen does not expand and contract as easily as air at regular tyre temperatures....
Actually that's not the only reason, and probably not the most important one in street applications either. Read on...

From this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-nitrogen.html (Inflating tyres with dry nitrogen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
...
...
...
I guess the main advantage of nitrogen in tires is that it does not permeate through the tire as easily as the other gasses in air, hence your tire pressure doesnt drop as quickly as it might normally.
(This can be said to provide better milage, handling, treadware since tire pressure is more likely to be set right for a longer duration)

In addition to that, nitrogen doesnt combine with the metal rims or rubber tire easily. Which could be said to resist corrosion better. (Along with the fact that compressed nitrogen wont contain as much water vapour).
...
...
...
cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2009 at 15:59.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:44   #328
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 343 Times
Default

Come to think of it, apart from the rather unsexy image it portrays, an M5 touring would suite my needs perfectly. Wonder what the next gen M5 Touring will look like!
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:45   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 1,398
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

Getting old already KB? Finding the M3 a lil to harsh for daily use?
ecksreturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:38   #330
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 343 Times
Default

No, just getting of sick of sending a second car to Pune for my dogs every ten days! ;-)
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bmw ///M3 E92 Maverick5490 Super-Cars & Imports in India 116 30th September 2016 10:10
DIY: Oil Change - BMW E90 (E91, E92, E93) aah78 DIY - Do it yourself 13 9th February 2016 11:54
M shopping for my E92 BMW M3 accord masters Super-Cars & Imports in India 136 1st August 2013 06:57
She is home, She is Hot & Yes its Punto arishi1 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 91 13th November 2009 10:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks