Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Old 22nd January 2008, 15:16   #16
BHPian

I guess the dealers dont make thier customers aware that the car is 'Hot' due to the fact that once the car is on Indian shores theres not much a international insurance company or its agents or even interpol can do to take the car back.( insurance company cos they have already paid the cars owner in uk for the car and it belongs to them so once thier fraud squad traces a car they go to collect it )
Hence the dealers are aware that once a landed car on indian soil they dont care stolen or not. The only time problem arises is when the client who the car is sold to is overseas and is perhaps buying spare parts or ordering a new spare key.

It has been tried before when Land cruiser was stolen in Uk and traced back to Bombay they tried to get the car out of india but it was just not possible. A lot of court and red tape in India.

I know a fella who works in the met (metropolitian police) and the intel tells that a lot of High end cars are being either flown or sent by container directly to Bombay. They used to go to Dubai on transit but now i think people must have figured a way of bringing them directly from Uk into India. Just 2 weeks agao a Ferrari 430 and a Lambo Gallardo were seized on air pallets all wrapped and ready going on an air india flight to bombay. If this route gets hot from time to time they are driven across to mainland europe and flown or put in containers from either germany, Holland, Belgium
BAD 130Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 00:22   #17

But importing of used cars is prohibited in India unless its TR(Tranfer of residence), so how do customs clears these used cars.
pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 06:06   #18
BHPian

These cars are virtually new and have maybe a few hundred miles on the clock max. And besides its very easy to put the miles back on them cars. And i dont think Indian customs are that sharp that they can pick out if a car is brand new or even 6 months old. You are dealing with proffesional gangs here who can make a used car look and smell new right down to replacing the rubber foot housings on brake and gas pedals so that it looks new.

And people who are in this game do it cos there is big money in it. I dont know how much a lambo or a Phantom cost in India but they would pay about 10% of what it cost in uk and add another 5% to get it out and paperwork and freight to land it. the rest is all profit.So you do the math!!!
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Unlikely that stolen UK cars land up in Dubai. UK has right hand driving system (same as India) whereas Dubai has left hand driving system
Incorrect. Dubai is a massive transit bay for RHD cars with literally hundreds of repair shops that cater to "working" on these cars. Thousands of cars are imported in, repaired/rolled back/vins changed etc and then exported to their final destination.
hskhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskhan View Post
Incorrect. Dubai is a massive transit bay for RHD cars with literally hundreds of repair shops that cater to "working" on these cars. Thousands of cars are imported in, repaired/rolled back/vins changed etc and then exported to their final destination.
Ok, I was completely unaware, even though I lived in Dubai for 1 year! In fact when I was exploring options to import a car back to India, I came across many 'specialized RHD export warehouses', but none of the sort which you mentioned.

And the impression that I got from the above quote was that 'stolen cars land up in Dubai from UK, to be used in Dubai market'

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 23rd January 2008 at 12:18.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:35   #21
BHPian

13ad BOY... you are correct on a lot of things except one. The indian Custom officers are so sharp they can tell if the car is brand new before they even see it. Its different if they choose to look the other way, but they know there ****. They may seem like fools but they know everything. Probably even the value of the boxers you are wearing and if they have come from point of origin. As you already said, nobody knows whats going on till the cars are in need of parts or the dealers check the VIN. But even then the dealers dont inform anyone since they know if the car is in India, its probably coming to them for a service. Suits everyone. Lets not forget some of India's biggest dealership owners are all into this scam. But as you know when the cars go missing in england they are not treated as stolen but disputed... so half the cars never even check up as stolen in dealerships and parts can be ordered. I love your collection of Ferrari's. Not to forget the range... You looking into a 599 any time soon?

Last edited by liv2drv : 23rd January 2008 at 12:45.
liv2drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2drv View Post
13ad BOY... you are correct on a lot of things except one. The indian Custom officers are so sharp they can tell if the car is brand new before they even see it. Its different if they choose to look the other way, but they know there ****. They may seem like fools but they know everything. Probably even the value of the boxers you are wearing and if they have come from point of origin.
I agree. Very true. Sharp critters they are...
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 16:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

does this mean one can bargain hard and get far cheaper deals on these cars than say a new one from the showroom. If so has anyone out here bought beauties from these dealers and if so how % wise can you bring them down.

One example offered to me is a 2005 Range Rover Diesel with 3000 Km!! for Rs.65 lacs. I see many more newer Q7's, Rangie's...etc on sale on various websites. How much should this 2005 car or newer Rangies that are grey imports be worth (with the few hundred kilometer you guys mentioned they come with after being smuggled out of the UK)?

Thx
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 14:53   #24
BHPian

Well i dont know about excatly but a 05 rangie with 3000km ' you must be on planer crack' is the first term that come into my mind. On average a car in uk does about 14,000 miles per year. But even if this car has been clocked which im sure it has it would be worth in uk about £20,000 but if its a hookie one then i would say the car is not worth more that £7,000.

Ciao
Old 24th January 2008, 15:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have not seen the 3000km rangie but did suspect meter tampering. Don't know if it was carted into the country now or in 2005 which agian seems stretched...so net net the car is not worth more that say £40K (with duties etc.) which I think transaletes into the mid 30 lacs bracket...the question is I see theses cars in different hands all the time/more with brokers and rarely in the hand of an owners that to not for long....will they part with it at half the price? Is it worth taking the risk of even buying one after negitaiting hard as they are public property??? What do you guys think...so far I have never come accorss anyone on the forum who can actualy say thay have transacted with these guys and how does one handle these dealers.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 23:27   #26
BHPian

I say keep away from them kindda cars as they are cheap but u know that it has a 'history' to it.
Old 21st February 2008, 09:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD 130Y View Post
I guess the dealers dont make thier customers aware that the car is 'Hot' due to the fact that once the car is on Indian shores theres not much a international insurance company or its agents or even interpol can do to take the car back.( insurance company cos they have already paid the cars owner in uk for the car and it belongs to them so once thier fraud squad traces a car they go to collect it )
Hence the dealers are aware that once a landed car on indian soil they dont care stolen or not. The only time problem arises is when the client who the car is sold to is overseas and is perhaps buying spare parts or ordering a new spare key.

It has been tried before when Land cruiser was stolen in Uk and traced back to Bombay they tried to get the car out of india but it was just not possible. A lot of court and red tape in India.

I know a fella who works in the met (metropolitian police) and the intel tells that a lot of High end cars are being either flown or sent by container directly to Bombay. They used to go to Dubai on transit but now i think people must have figured a way of bringing them directly from Uk into India. Just 2 weeks agao a Ferrari 430 and a Lambo Gallardo were seized on air pallets all wrapped and ready going on an air india flight to bombay. If this route gets hot from time to time they are driven across to mainland europe and flown or put in containers from either germany, Holland, Belgium
Are you sure the flight was for Bombay because cars flown in are only custom cleared at Delhi airport.
Supercar King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:09   #28
BHPian

and let me add to all your point

most of these cars go to pakistan and
you can actually see a lot of imported stolen cars there even with uk number plates
alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 02:57   #29
BHPian

Alias, The cars you see in Dubai for Pak were reconditioned in Dubai and then sold in Pak. I dont know if they were stolen per se but I heard they were used to transport contraband. Dont know how true that is but sounds pretty believable.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2008 at 06:38. Reason: typo corrected.
Raj1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 06:49   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Stolen cars in India

Surprising to see most of your acuracy in this thread with respect to this incident

Article in todays Times of India newspaper titled as "Bentleys, Rolls, stolen in Europe, sold to desi rich"

Bentleys, Rolls, stolen in Europe, sold to desi rich - The Times of India

Last edited by rubicon : 1st May 2011 at 06:50. Reason: Typo Corrected.
rubicon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote