Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Old 22nd June 2011, 16:09   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Stolen cars in India

If they stolen, my bet is they will rot before any sort of legal process rescues them. If they have been stolen abroad, though, I'm sure the insurer will do something to attempt to recover their loss.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 17:56   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Came in today's TOI.
Attached Images

manishasrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:52   #123
BHPian

And now a Maserati seized yesterday in Chennai by DRI officials,

Imported Maserati seized - The Times of India
BulZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 17:07   #124
PPS
Senior - BHPian

From todays TOI - Red sanders worth 50cr seized, 5 held - The Times of India
Article Window
The cars seized are one Ferrari, two Bentleys, one BMW and two Mercedes, collectively valued at Rs 9 crore! I'm wondering if the Ferrari seized is the same ex A.P F430 Spyder ?
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 17:11   #125
BHPian

Quick Question Guys, whats the status of the cars that are with the DRI, will they get auctioned or rust in peace?
ab500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 17:32   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Any idea what would be the fate of these vehicles? Like people will they also be deported What about the superbikes, heard the DRI also was on a crank down of the two wheeled beauties.
I'm guessing vehicles seized in India are either returned to their owners or auctioned off. In UAE, the re-possessed vehicles (abandoned by owners at airports and 'seized' by banks) that have outstanding bank loans are sold at an auction; earlier, one could get a good deal there but now it's mostly stuff at regular used-car market prices.

I'm surprised at how the authorities determined that the Merc was using a fake number plate. Was it something they determined during a routine check after getting less-than-satisfactory reports from the owner? Or perhaps when giving a fine (I imagine the policeman writes down the color and plate number which are matched at the police station when sending the challan in post)? I rarely see vehicle numbers being checked on the streets.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 11:05   #127
Senior - BHPian

Source: 42 stolen cars recovered - Express India

[[["[COLOR=#0062af]Chandigarh[/COLOR] The Chandigarh police has recovered 42 high-end cars which were allegedly stolen and later sold by fastening registration numbers of totally damaged vehicles. Five persons, including a car dealer, have been arrested by the police.

Police said that out of the total cars recovered, 28 were sold from the Chandigarh’s car market. The Chandigarh car market had come under the scanner in August this year also when Delhi police arrested a dealer of the market, Kuldeep Singh alias Lali, from Delhi, after he was caught selling a stolen car with a registration number of a totally damaged vehicle.
After Lali, the second dealer of the market to land in custody is Harinder Singh alias Goldy.
“After investigations, we found that this is an inter-state gang of car lifters, scrap dealers, insurance companies and the car dealers. We have so far been able to arrest a car dealer, a mechanic and three scrap dealers and are looking for other accused who are part of the large racket,” said Deputy Inspector General of Police, Alok Kumar, at a press conference.
He said that the police is also investigating the role of the surveyors and insurance companies. “ Our focus is on to break the nexus of vehicle lifters, scrap dealers, surveyors and insurance companies and car dealers,” he said.
Giving details, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Chandigarh Naunihal Singh said that out of the 42 high end cars, majority of the them were sold from the Chandigarh’s car market.
“This gang would keep an eye on vehicles fully damaged in the accidents which were later sold to the scrap dealers along with the documents of the vehicle. The gang would ensure that a similar model car was stolen from various states and they would install the registration and chassis number of fully damaged cars on the stolen cars, showing that they have got the damaged vehicles repaired,” SSP said.
Singh said that during the one month investigations so far, they have found that 11 vehicles which were fully damaged in the accidents were in fact stolen cars.
“We are investigating about the other cars and are are waiting for the CFSL report,” he said.
The five arrested have been identified as Harinder Singh alias Goldy; Nadeem of Bhapu Dham Colony, a mechanic; Vipin Kumar alias Bhalu of Mohali, Mohammad Amir and Kasim, residents of Bhapu Dham and all were scrap dealers. “During the investigation, we came to know about the gang, whose members we just apprehended. On September 22, Chandigarh Police received a tip-off that Vipin Kumar a scrap dealer in Burail village, Chandigarh purchases damaged vehicles in scrap and converts stolen vehicles of the same colour and model into genuine vehicles. On this information, Vipin was arrested and a white Innova was also seized. The vehicle of this registration number had met with an accident on December 31, 2010 at Phagwara, Punjab and the original owner of the vehicle had sold as scrap to Vipin,” said a police officer investigating the case.]]]

Raab Rakha (& I mean it)
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 17:44   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
From todays TOI - Red sanders worth 50cr seized, 5 held - The Times of India
Article Window
The cars seized are one Ferrari, two Bentleys, one BMW and two Mercedes, collectively valued at Rs 9 crore! I'm wondering if the Ferrari seized is the same ex A.P F430 Spyder ?
Yes, its the same F430 Spyder.

He now has a white H2 and a 7-series. The Bentleys (Arnage and Conti) are nowhere to be seen. Same with the black SLK. And from what I've heard, he has got the Fezza back from DRI.

EDIT : Talking of DRI, here's what a friend managed to click at the DRI office near SNDT. Any guesses for whats under the cover and the dark-colored car to the right ?
Attached Thumbnails
Stolen cars in India-img20111123wa0001.jpg  

Last edited by Rosso Corsa : 13th March 2012 at 17:49. Reason: Added more info
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 18:58   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
EDIT : Talking of DRI, here's what a friend managed to click at the DRI office near SNDT. Any guesses for whats under the cover and the dark-colored car to the right ?
The car under the cover looks to me like a Porsche or an Aston.
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 19:23   #130
BHPian

Quote:

looks like a F360/430 to me
samyakmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 19:50   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He now has a white H2 and a 7-series. The Bentleys (Arnage and Conti) are nowhere to be seen. Same with the black SLK. And from what I've heard, he has got the Fezza back from DRI.

The dark car could be a Bentley, going by the rims. The one under the covers looks like a F430 to me.
shamik.bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 23:18   #132
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Bentleys (Arnage and Conti) are nowhere to be seen.
The Bentley's were also seized back then , don't know where they are now.
Not exactly sure which is the dark colour car on the right,could it be a Range Rover?
DRI should update their website with a list of all the cars that they seize!
Article Window

Article Window
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 09:00   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa

That's a Lexus Suv and a Porsche I think
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 14:25   #134
BHPian

F430, Lexus RX/Toyota Harrier & Phantom or a Sport (going by the edgy fender)
fre2bpowerless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 12:00   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
F430, Lexus RX/Toyota Harrier & Phantom or a Sport (going by the edgy fender)
Any idea about the cars which were seized in 2011,they are going to be auctioned or returned.And those cars are in Delhi or Mumbai?
Kishan Shah is offline   Reply With Quote