Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2008, 00:29   #1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Mercedes ML 350??

Hey guys spotted this car some time back. Had the Photos in my Cell phone but forgot to post them.

I had another photo too but somehow lost it.
Can someone explain what that 4MATIC Badge is????

@Mods-Please merge if similar thread exists.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes ML 350??-dsc01305.jpg  

Mercedes ML 350??-dsc01306.jpg  


Last edited by Cyrus43 : 23rd March 2008 at 00:30.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 00:49   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

4Matic is the name Merc uses for their AWD transmission system.

Last edited by iraghava : 23rd March 2008 at 00:51.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 03:02   #3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
4Matic is the name Merc uses for their AWD transmission system.
Thank you for clarifying that.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,108
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Ishan, Arent all ML's awd drives?
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 22:13   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 844 Times
Default

GTA, both Iraghava and Scooby05 are right.
Ill attempt at an explanation of the 4matic fro you which should put an end to all doubts;
4matic is a registered trade mark of Mercedes Benz and means nothing but an AWD so in short it is the name of Mercedes's AWD system but it does not work as a full-time 4WD although it is called the "Full time AWD".
In everyday driving conditions , the clutches are disengaged, making the car behave and operate like a normal rear wheel drive. But in demanding conditions say driving in the snow or sleet when the car is bound to loose traction, the computer sends signals which engages the clutches progressively thereby transferring torque to the front wheels too, as, when and as much as required. So in factually it is only a part time AWD and not a full time AWD. In Mercedes suvs the division is 50-50 and in its E-Class sedans, the division is 40-60, In the S Class and luxury sedans if im right, the split is 45-55. This configuration keeps on changing as Mercedes keeps on making its cars more and more technologically advanced. Actually 4MAtic actually meant 4wheel driven Automatic cars (except the older gen US spec. S Classes and 300D diesel)
All Merc suvs which are AWD are essentially 4Matic
.
The 4matic badge is actually used on sedans to denote their AWD characteristics. Most 4Matic badges can be found on the US spec cars as that is where the maximum sales of 4Matic cars take place.
Hope its clear now

Check out this brilliant Ad.

ImageShack - Hosting :: bestcarcommercialeverjw7.flv
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 22:32   #6
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
GTA, both Iraghava and Scooby05 are right.
Ill attempt at an explanation of the 4matic fro you which should put an end to all doubts;
4matic is a registered trade mark of Mercedes Benz and means nothing but an AWD so in short it is the name of Mercedes's AWD system but it does not work as a full-time 4WD although it is called the "Full time AWD".
In everyday driving conditions , the clutches are disengaged, making the car behave and operate like a normal rear wheel drive. But in demanding conditions say driving in the snow or sleet when the car is bound to loose traction, the computer sends signals which engages the clutches progressively thereby transferring torque to the front wheels too, as, when and as much as required. So in factually it is only a part time AWD and not a full time AWD. In Mercedes suvs the division is 50-50 and in its E-Class sedans, the division is 40-60, In the S Class and luxury sedans if im right, the split is 45-55. This configuration keeps on changing as Mercedes keeps on making its cars more and more technologically advanced. Actually 4MAtic actually meant 4wheel driven Automatic cars (except the older gen US spec. S Classes and 300D diesel)
All Merc suvs which are AWD are essentially 4Matic.
The 4matic badge is actually used on sedans to denote their AWD characteristics. Most 4Matic badges can be found on the US spec cars as that is where the maximum sales of 4Matic cars take place.
Hope its clear now

Check out this brilliant Ad.

ImageShack - Hosting :: bestcarcommercialeverjw7.flv
Thanks for explaining gogi bhai. By the way, Excelent advertisement.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 01:35   #7
BHPian
 
VIPER_SRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 432
Thanked: 171 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
GTA, both Iraghava and Scooby05 are right.
Ill attempt at an explanation of the 4matic fro you which should put an end to all doubts;
4matic is a registered trade mark of Mercedes Benz and means nothing but an AWD so in short it is the name of Mercedes's AWD system but it does not work as a full-time 4WD although it is called the "Full time AWD".
In everyday driving conditions , the clutches are disengaged, making the car behave and operate like a normal rear wheel drive. But in demanding conditions say driving in the snow or sleet when the car is bound to loose traction, the computer sends signals which engages the clutches progressively thereby transferring torque to the front wheels too, as, when and as much as required. So in factually it is only a part time AWD and not a full time AWD. In Mercedes suvs the division is 50-50 and in its E-Class sedans, the division is 40-60, In the S Class and luxury sedans if im right, the split is 45-55. This configuration keeps on changing as Mercedes keeps on making its cars more and more technologically advanced. Actually 4MAtic actually meant 4wheel driven Automatic cars (except the older gen US spec. S Classes and 300D diesel)
All Merc suvs which are AWD are essentially 4Matic.
The 4matic badge is actually used on sedans to denote their AWD characteristics. Most 4Matic badges can be found on the US spec cars as that is where the maximum sales of 4Matic cars take place.
Hope its clear now

Check out this brilliant Ad.

ImageShack - Hosting :: bestcarcommercialeverjw7.flv
Yes V-16 you are right! Normally almost all germans except Audi A4's are RWD. 4-Matic badge is a terminology used by Merc for AWD. Likewise BMW terms it by "X" .... for example 335i (RWD) 335xi (AWD) and of-course you all know X5's. Audi says it "Quatro".

I bought a 4-Matic bcos of snow where I live in winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes ML 350??-img_0007.jpg  

Mercedes ML 350??-img_0010.jpg  

VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 05:33   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto.
Posts: 143
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I had seen a 4-5 year older Merc M-class at Mumbai airport.
cncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 08:40   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
hanmust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calicut
Posts: 2,480
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

ML320 CDI near Nariman Point, Mumbai
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes ML 350??-img_7183.jpg  

hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 10:29   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Yes Gogi Bhai absolutly right. the only Difference Between Scooby uncles car and the New ML is Technology for the all wheel drive system.

let me contribute with mine. ML 320 CDI.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by speedy : 7th September 2008 at 10:33.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 11:38   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
hanmust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calicut
Posts: 2,480
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Yes Gogi Bhai absolutly right. the only Difference Between Scooby uncles car and the New ML is Technology for the all wheel drive system.

let me contribute with mine. ML 320 CDI.
I love the new ML, its far better than the earlier one, but most of them are un aware of the fact. Anyway dude, how long have u being using ur ML?
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 11:49   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
I love the new ML, its far better than the earlier one, but most of them are un aware of the fact. Anyway dude, how long have u being using ur ML?
Hanmust, it is far better than the previous ones in all aspects (no offence meant Scooby uncle).
The car was driven for around 500 kms by my father when it went for registration on 4th, he just could not resist. i got delivery of it yesterday.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 12:02   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
hanmust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calicut
Posts: 2,480
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Hanmust, it is far better than the previous ones in all aspects (no offence meant Scooby uncle).
The car was driven for around 500 kms by my father when it went for registration on 4th, he just could not resist. i got delivery of it yesterday.

Oh so its very new, Congrats. So its almost on same time we both got our new drives.
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 12:06   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
Oh so its very new, Congrats. So its almost on same time we both got our new drives.
Yes Hunmust. that is why i PMed you . we also took almost the same time from deciding. one week to get them home.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 23:18   #15
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Finally!! Very nice Speedy!! When do i get a spin??
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes SLK 350 modifications zenzi12 Modifications & Accessories 12 19th June 2010 19:00
Std 350? Hmmm Electra 5s? Or Mach 350? vinit.merchant Motorbikes 38 10th August 2009 13:57
spotted mercedes brabus slk 350 honda_dude Super-Cars & Imports in India 30 5th October 2007 20:10
Mercedes Benz CLS 350 lamborghini Super-Cars & Imports in India 31 21st December 2006 07:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks