Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Old 21st September 2009, 14:12   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
hey speedy the ones i have seen are S280 & S320.wouls love to own a 500 though.do you have the lead of the concern person for the car?
I dont remember the persons address as it was years ago, when i was training at work. Had visited the persons office and in the same compound this car was standing. Thats when i fell in love with the W140.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Anytime Nandishpal.

The 500 on the W140 is not very common. The W140 came to India mostly with the 320 trim. Some S320-L and some the normal wheel base. REally rare would be the S300-L which i have seen only one till date. It usd to be Yash Chopra's car and had come to me for sale many many years ago for a really sky rocket price.

i remember these cars sold for 45 lakhs in their prime. Today, well maintained cars should be well within the bracket of 7 lakhs or so. I always maintain, if one finds a car like that which is well maintained and original, its never a wrong move to pay 25-50K extra. It saves a lot of headache.

Of course some guys want the earth and moon for their cars but who can stop them. I remember a Dukkar in Delhi which Ishan had said was for sale for ( lakhs!! ALso when there was a sudden spurt in prices of all cars and especially MB Jeps, Karlji and me enquired about a pristine Ford Jeep in Pune also for 9 lakhs.

Stop laughing you guys, its true!!
, the 300, 500 and 600 was not the most common of W140's that were present in India. The 280 and 320 were in abundance at the time. The same family where you recently bought your new car had 5 W140's. Two were 280's, two 320's and a 500. I was in school then so did not have the means.

Oh yes bhai these were the kings of the road and commanded a high value too. I remember asking my uncle about the 500 and he would say i could have bought a porsh property in the suburbs instead of the car. I gathered in those days the cost would have been 30 lakhs upwards. The last s600 belonging to a hotel got sold for 4 lakhs. The 280 or a 320 would be in the same range or a little more expensive. 7 for an immaculate car would be good.

There are so many cars that go to the ground due to the owners asking such ridiculous prices. I remember the pune jeep and the fiat, you told me about it. There was a Mercedes 190 and the guy was asking 18lakhs for it. A Land Rover 70's model asking 22 lakhs. I went to see the car out of curiosity and the whole car was not original. He had made a dash with wierd things on it, seats looked like you were sitting on a garden bench. .

Quote:
it often happens that the car you want to buy you tend to see it more often on the road.in my case that did not hppen in bangalore as there are very few w140's in bangalore.BUT last night i was watching the transporter on Star Movies & i saw atleast 5 to 6 of them in the best condition with lot of after market stuffs.sometimes your passion can be just too amazing
I agree, it used to happen more often now a little less as the choices of cars are fewer in numbers. I would suggest you fly down to Dubai and at the Sharjah market you would get everything for the W140. Brand new as well as Secondhand stuff. The after market goodies for this baby is also unlimited. I have seen so many things for the W140 when i used to go there, that i had practically made a car in my dreams.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 23:36   #92
BHPian

These Mercs are Common & owned by locals here in KSA
bugatti_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 01:50   #93
Senior - BHPian

besides the Transporter, W140 is seen also in the peacemaker, being thrashed and bashed....and it still goes on.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:10   #94
Senior - BHPian

Say a great silver W140 pass by my house over this weekend. She seemed an early 90's nonupdated model in prime condition nothing tampered and seemed to have a higher spec engine as the note was very gutteral and not the 280/320 variety I think she is with some dealer. There is a silver car needing a lot of work mostly body/rust (owner lives near the sea) she has low miles not sure of engine saw her when I went to see another car she is a long. A dealer friend just dilevered a 400se to south boy was she one hot single south mumbai well kept car. hse was dark sea blue.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:41   #95
BHPian

check this out.would a benz start by shorting the ignition wires?i would never drive a benz like this.
nandishpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:14   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

check this out.would a benz start by shorting the ignition wires?i would never drive a benz like this.
Haha, that was on tv two nights ago!
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:24   #97
BHPian

hey brother i mentioned this a few posts ago
Haha, that was on tv two nights ago![/quote]
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:57   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Of course some guys want the earth and moon for their cars but who can stop them. I remember a Dukkar in Delhi which Ishan had said was for sale for ( lakhs!! ALso when there was a sudden spurt in prices of all cars and especially MB Jeps, Karlji and me enquired about a pristine Ford Jeep in Pune also for 9 lakhs.

Stop laughing you guys, its true!!
I completely agree to you Gogi. I too face a similar situation, Ghaas Gali where I met up with my old contact. It had two super selects being done up. Was curious and asked the guy if there were any on sale. he said forget it these are Vintage cars and either you wont get them or get ready to pay fancy prices.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:49   #99
Senior - BHPian

Check the W140 chase in the Peace Maker pitted against the BMW E28

Last edited by V-16 : 22nd September 2009 at 17:53.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:14   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah the W140! They dont make em like that anymore. I think it looks best in white, silver and gold.

Only the S600 has the headlight wiper and the finer grille? am I right?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:04   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Ah the W140! They dont make em like that anymore. I think it looks best in white, silver and gold.

Only the S600 has the headlight wiper and the finer grille? am I right?
Everyone has their choices i prefer them in Darker colours, Actually any colour would do. The car can carry them all.

I have seen the headlight wipers on a s320 and s500 as well. I am guessing it was an option for the lower spec cars and standard on the S500 and S600.

Guys bad news the car is offered at the moon looking at the stars. I am trying to convince the owner to see the light but i doubt this car would see the day again.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:08   #102
BHPian

guys i told you when you think of buying a particular car ou can only see that everywhere.dont miss out on khatron ke khiladi today on colors channel at 9 pm.they have shown a stunt where contestants will be pushed off a small hill in a W140 might be a W126 also.see where all i get to see the car i want to buy.
Old 9th October 2009, 22:13   #103
Senior - BHPian

Going to speak to the owner of the S600 for the 5th time hope he sees the light and is ready to hand it over to someone who would care and take care of her. I have not lost hope on the car and would keep trying. It is one of the most gorgeous cars in my eyes and the big daddy deserves her spotlight.
Old 9th October 2009, 23:30   #104
BHPian

all the best bro! I hope you crack the deal this time.
Can i know what is the reason for the owner not letting go this car?
Old 10th October 2009, 00:08   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
all the best bro! I hope you crack the deal this time.
Can i know what is the reason for the owner not letting go this car?
Thank you brother. I have my fingers crossed and since the owner has called me, i hope it is good news.

The owner normally does not sell his cars but gives it off to relatives or in some cases when the relatives are done useing it they are in bad shape ndgo in the ground. Money and space also is not an issue with him and so he does not care. I have been chaseing him right from the first time GTO posted the picture and at that point the answer i got was its not for sale to now when the price asked for is beyond the market value and cars condition. I have given him an offer that is higher than normal and i know after i get the car on the road i would be loseing money. I dont know why but this perticular car has hit a soft spot in my heart and i am willing to take a hit for it.
I was informed of another W140 S 600 and 500 that have come for sale but they do not interest me at all.

Last edited by speedy : 10th October 2009 at 00:10.