Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 19:16   #256
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Delhi/Dhaka
Posts: 163
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
As discussed earlier in the thread, Mr Tata in his Civic.

Attachment 1001870


Video is still awaited!
This is how a real human being should be,does what he thinks is right, doesn't give a damn about what others have to say,and being right at the same time doing what he does.

Even a RM of a remote area in Tata group will drive something better,but he has grown out of that "materialistic" phase(I am not complaining,even I will go for something flashy and lightening fast). A lot of respect for the guy.


PS:No one can confirm whether its Mr.Tata himself on the 458 from the video itself.Someone has to do a number plate run.
Kishan Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 05:25   #257
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 735
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Nothing to do with Mr Tatas car but Tata group is bidding for The Orient Express hotel groups along with Ferrari president Luca Di Montezmelo. The press release further goes on saying Tata has long running family friendship with Ferrari.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 09:55   #258
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai/Jamshedp
Posts: 320
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishan Shah View Post
This is how a real human being should be,does what he thinks is right, doesn't give a damn about what others have to say,and being right at the same time doing what he does.

Even a RM of a remote area in Tata group will drive something better,but he has grown out of that "materialistic" phase(I am not complaining,even I will go for something flashy and lightening fast). A lot of respect for the guy.
That might not be really true. It could just be a "perception management " exercise to show how humble the man is.

While you might praise him, I can equally call him arrogant and an intentional law breaker ( bending rules to get an LHD when RHD of the same car was available) and giving a damn about what others have to say, does what he likes,openly flaunts it in magazines and knows nobody can touch him. A nice example of double standards.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 10:14   #259
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,541
Thanked: 1,277 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
( bending rules to get an LHD when RHD of the same car was available)
Sorry, I couldn't get it.

Is this about the civic he is driving? Because the one in pictures is RHD. I apologize in advance if you were referring something else.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 11:31   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
That might not be really true. It could just be a "perception management " exercise to show how humble the man is.

While you might praise him, I can equally call him arrogant and an intentional law breaker ( bending rules to get an LHD when RHD of the same car was available) and giving a damn about what others have to say, does what he likes,openly flaunts it in magazines and knows nobody can touch him. A nice example of double standards.
That is not true at all..please do meet the man and talk to him and you shall know the fact of how Humble he truely is. I had flagged him down to see his car and show him my car and he obliged by stopping and spent a good 20 mins seeing my car and showing me his car. He did also mention we should swap cars as his caddilac suited my age and mine his. Do try this with some of the other big wigs and lets see if any of them give a smile or glance forget stopping and spending time with someone they dont know.

Mr. Tata has paid the penalties against the LHD cars he owns when they were brought in and this is possible for any person who wishes to bring a LHD car..so no rule bending or as you mentioned "intentional law breaker". Mr Tata reserves his high end cars for his liesure but for his everyday use prefers his w124, w211, civic and even one from the tata fleet.

As you say "openly flaunts it in Magazines"..that cause his cars are legit and why should'nt he flaunt it..He has not stollen the money, borrowed the money or not paid his employees and bought the cars or spent on his life style.
speedy is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 14:51   #261
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
That might not be really true. It could just be a "perception management " exercise to show how humble the man is.

While you might praise him, I can equally call him arrogant and an intentional law breaker ( bending rules to get an LHD when RHD of the same car was available) and giving a damn about what others have to say, does what he likes,openly flaunts it in magazines and knows nobody can touch him. A nice example of double standards.
From which angle in this snap it looks that Mr. Tata is driving a LHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
That is not true at all..please do meet the man and talk to him and you shall know the fact of how Humble he truely is. I had flagged him down to see his car and show him my car and he obliged by stopping and spent a good 20 mins seeing my car and showing me his car. He did also mention we should swap cars as his caddilac suited my age and mine his. Do try this with some of the other big wigs and lets see if any of them give a smile or glance forget stopping and spending time with someone they dont know.

Mr. Tata has paid the penalties against the LHD cars he owns when they were brought in and this is possible for any person who wishes to bring a LHD car..so no rule bending or as you mentioned "intentional law breaker". Mr Tata reserves his high end cars for his liesure but for his everyday use prefers his w124, w211, civic and even one from the tata fleet.

As you say "openly flaunts it in Magazines"..that cause his cars are legit and why should'nt he flaunt it..He has not stollen the money, borrowed the money or not paid his employees and bought the cars or spent on his life style.
I agree. he is the most respectable and humble business tycoon we have
he is also famous for driving his tata cars only during visits in tata motors

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 19th October 2012 at 14:53.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 14:55   #262
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
T
Mr. Tata has paid the penalties against the LHD cars he owns when they were brought in and this is possible for any person who wishes to bring a LHD car.
Would you know the details of how much these penalties are. Not asking for the California but in general.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:52   #263
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Would you know the details of how much these penalties are. Not asking for the California but in general.
I am not entirely sure but from what i was informed a while is 40% or 50% of the duty or invoice amount of the vehicle, memory does fail me.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 21:01   #264
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,703 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Our humble compliments and best wishes to Mr Ratan Tata, one of the most able Captains of our Indian Industry, who shall be laying down office in a few days from now. He shall however remain Chairman Emeritus of the Tata Group and also Chairman, Tatasons.

True, they don't make industrialists like him anymore today.

These pictures are from Autocar that feature him with his Ferrari California and also his notes on the cars he owned in 2009.

Ratan Tata's cars-picture-5832038.jpg

Name:  Copy of Copy of Picture 5832039.jpg
Views: 6685
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  Copy of Picture 5832039.jpg
Views: 18379
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  Picture 5832039.jpg
Views: 7549
Size:  64.6 KB
anjan_c2007 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 18:34   #265
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,938
Thanked: 1,924 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Mr. Tata has taken delivery of a white XF-R & the F-type is also going to make it to his garage as per the HT article.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/busine...e1-985562.aspx
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 19:34   #266
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Our humble compliments and best wishes to Mr Ratan Tata, one of the most able Captains of our Indian Industry, who shall be laying down office in a few days from now. He shall however remain Chairman Emeritus of the Tata Group and also Chairman, Tatasons.

True, they don't make industrialists like him anymore today.

These pictures are from Autocar that feature him with his Ferrari California and also his notes on the cars he owned in 2009.
A fine gentleman. They broke the mould on that type of 'real gent'.
I love the comment of his where he has removed the rear seat of the Indigo Marina and put a mattress so that he can take his beloved dogs out in it.
One day soon I am going to buy a second hand car like an old Maruti 800 or Alto and make it my exclusive dog- mobile.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 20:29   #267
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 956
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

A few points ( which might have been mentioned somewhere above) :

1. His car batteries are trickle charged as the vehicles are not driven very much
2. Chocks are used to ensure that his cars stop well before the walls in the parking area ( basement)

Let me put my hand up ( hope I am the first!) as and when the California is up for disposal - of course I have to raid a bank for it.

Regards
issigonis
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 15:59   #268
BHPian
 
samyakmodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

btw - read in yesterday's paper that Mr. Tata also has a sl500 - which again is a LHD

what i am unable to understand - how did he manage to get the LHDs in the country at the time when they were not allowed.

and even if he did bring in the cars as R&D - won't they be a property of TATA motors?!?
then how can they be his personal cars?
and registered?

ADD : just read speedy's comment - but my only point is - why bring in LHD cars and pay penalty (which wasn't a provision earlier as far as i am aware for new cars - there was a provision for the older ones - but before bugatti, i am quiet certain LHD were not allowed - penalty or no penalty, maybe i am misinformed) but again - why buy LHD cars and pay penalty when the RHD ones are readily available in India?!?!

Last edited by samyakmodi : 9th January 2013 at 16:14.
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 12:08   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
btw - read in yesterday's paper that Mr. Tata also has a sl500 - which again is a LHD
The SL500 is an Indian billed car bought in 2006. The media is misinformed about this car. It has clocked 2400 kms since new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
what i am unable to understand - how did he manage to get the LHDs in the country at the time when they were not allowed.

and even if he did bring in the cars as R&D - won't they be a property of TATA motors?!?
then how can they be his personal cars?
and registered?
Mr.Tata in his interview had mentioned he likes the cars as they are produced and does not like the cars tampered with or modified from external sources. This implies a car produced in Lhd would be left a LHD and not converted.

If a car has come as an R&D car it remains so. I guess there is a provision within the customs that the R&D cars can be sold later on. The fine penalties and duties are paid so the Govt has no issues in registering the cars. As Chairman and Director on the Board, Mr.Tata can transfer the cars to his name or keep the cars on the company name and use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
ADD : just read speedy's comment - but my only point is - why bring in LHD cars and pay penalty (which wasn't a provision earlier as far as i am aware for new cars - there was a provision for the older ones - but before bugatti, i am quiet certain LHD were not allowed - penalty or no penalty, maybe i am misinformed) but again - why buy LHD cars and pay penalty when the RHD ones are readily available in India?!?!
I have mentioned the reply in my above post. Mr.Tata also deals directly with the Manufacturers and not dealers for his purchase. The time when the Ferrari and Maseratti were bought, there was no dealer in India for the same.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 15:15   #270
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,353
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: Ratan Tata's cars

Love the cadillac....that is exquisite taste.

Speedy - what were you driving when you met up with the tycoon?

Also, isnt the TATA and FIAT deal falling through? I read in an Auto magazine recently that TATA are no longer going to share showrooms with FIAT to sell the latter manufacturers cars.

Ive also read that Mr. Ratan's father had connections with Enzo himself. So family friends indeed!
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TATA NANO to be launched on December 28, during Ratan Tata's birth day sidindica The Indian Car Scene 38 30th October 2008 04:23
TATA Motors may pull out of Singur-Ratan Tata. Update: Pull out announced! nickatnite The Indian Car Scene 651 6th October 2008 14:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks