Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2009, 15:01   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Will manufacturers please stop adding boots to nice looking hatchbacks and selling the resulting mutants in India. Most of these have got to be the ugliest cars ever made (eg. Swift Dzire, NHC, Jetta, Fiat Petra).

VW, give us Golf and Polo hatchbacks, and if you're really serious about India, you can give us the Scirocco as well.

End of Rant
I totally agree on that. It may even be termed car slaughter. Somebody must take initiative and provide top class hatches to Indians.

However, I don't have any problem if manufacturers launch both hatch and sedan variants so that customers can actually choose what they want, current cars like Maruti SX4, VW Jetta, Ford Fiesta etc., would have been lovely if even their hatch versions were made available.
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:08   #32
BHPian

Looks like a mix between a siena and an indigo if you ask me.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:17   #33
BHPian

I know this is a old thread, but the car in the picture's below is a consulate car. Notice the "D" Deutschland meaning 'Germany', and there is a EU insignia on the plate as well. All Embassies and Consulate's can import their car and use them India. I have seen Indian cars with such numbers lots of Qualis in TN and KA have UK plates.
Old 4th May 2009, 23:08   #34
BANNED

saw this VW van near BKC Telephone Exchange, Mumbai, this place is close to that Mysterious BLDG. where many other members have found many VW's and Audi's parked.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo Sedan in Mumbai-akbar000new.jpg  

VW Polo Sedan in Mumbai-akbar048.jpg  

VW Polo Sedan in Mumbai-akbar049.jpg  

Old 13th May 2009, 09:35   #35
BHPian

Default VW Polo Sedan - Also in the making

Global car majors to follow Maruti route

NEW DELHI: Global carmakers looking to the booming Indian car market to salvage their fortunes are planning to imitate Maruti Suzuki’s strategy of launching hatchback and sedan variants of the same model, as they explore ways to cut costs.

Maruti’s Dzire, the highest selling sedan in the country, owes its origin to another best-seller, the Swift hatchback. Now companies like the world’s largest carmaker Toyota, Europe’s largest car maker Volkswagen, Japan’s Honda and America’s Ford Motor plan to use the same technology to make both hatchbacks and sedans for their future launches in India.
Toyota’s will use its small car platform, Yaris, to launch a small and a big car in India next year. Volkswagen’s small car Polo as well as Ford’s new small car will have additional sedan variants.

Dzire, priced at Rs 4.6 lakh- 6.7 lakh (diesel and petrol) sold 60,000 units in the last fiscal, and some of its variants have a delivery lag of over two month owing to high bookings.

Toyota Kirloskar Motor’s deputy MD for marketing Sundeep Singh says that the company hopes to achieve its sales target in the country with the twin hatchback-sedan strategy. “We have already begun ground work for the small car. While the premium hatchback is for customers upgrading from entry-level cars, the sedan will target customers wanting a bigger car,’’ he says.

Volkswagen, after launching Passat and Jetta sedans in India, will add a third sedan based on the Polo platform. Its main model under the same brand will be a hatchback. “India will be the only market where both versions of the Polo will be made available. Both cars will be positioned in a way to avoid competing with Skoda Fabia,” said Jorg Muller, Volkswagen India president and managing director. The hatchback will be launched later this year and the sedan version will follow after few months.
Auto analysts tracking the Indian market said that as competition intensifies in India, manufacturers will find ways to cut costs and multi-product platforms will be used to remain competitive. “Dzire is just the beginning and we will see many more companies rolling out two or more cars from a single platform,” says Mohit Arora, senior director, JD Power Asia Pacific.

Honda Siel Cars India has gone a step ahead to launch two different cars from a single platform. Its soon-to-be-launched premium small car, Jazz, will be based on the Honda City platform.

Source : Global car majors to follow Maruti route- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 13th May 2009, 10:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

more and more ugliness defined on Indian roads (except fiat punto/ linea, honda city/ jazz) which have a common platform but totally different exterior and interior design.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:40   #37
BHPian

Ugh it's spreading, they need to change the exterior instead of simply offering a boot to us.

Dzire sold because of it's price, VW and toyota wont be coming at that price so just adding a boot without changed exteriors won't cut it.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but they need to learn from Fiat and Honda...oh my that sounds strange
Old 13th May 2009, 11:17   #38
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Have to wait friend, Polo itself is supposed to be launched in 2010. Realistically, it can be only in late 2010 or 2011.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but they need to learn from Fiat and Honda...oh my that sounds strange
Indeed. So volkswagen has to do a first time ever in India. Segment is getting heated up.. So much to be on Offer!
Old 13th May 2009, 11:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnieboy View Post
.... “...... Both cars will be positioned in a way to avoid competing with Skoda Fabia,” said Jorg Muller, Volkswagen India president and managing director....
It is interested to understand how they will differentiate themselves from the Fabia - pricing cannot be greatly lower.

Cheers,
Old 13th May 2009, 11:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Have to wait friend, Polo itself is supposed to be launched in 2010. Realistically, it can be only in late 2010 or 2011.

Yes indeed JVH. Me too felt ill-informed. As far as I knew Polo was to be launched in late first or early second quarter of 2010 as per another newsitem from the same media house suggesting the new plant coming active very recently. But this news item suggests of it happening much earlier. Is this a gimmick they wanna play to avoid very own paparazzi from hunting for scoop shots You never know and lets just hope and dream this latest one is truw and they do launch it late 2009 itself.

As for sedans who needs them anymore. If they see a business sense let them launch em. We are anyways happier in our hatches with a sedan's comfort now that they come with. Atleast that may push you bring them in asap. That's all that matters eventually

Last edited by ajmat : 13th May 2009 at 11:55.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:56   #42
BHPian

No, an Indians life revolves around family which means we need SPACE and a BOOT.

Try fitting even 2 suitcases(which is less for a family of 4) in our cars and see the problems.

Not everyone is going to select a hatch when they come at the 7L range, so yes we do need sedans, I'm not liking this premium hatch fad to be honest.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
It is interested to understand how they will differentiate themselves from the Fabia - pricing cannot be greatly lower.

Cheers,
Yeah, I think they gonna progressively lower the price of the Fabia to make space for the Polo. Otherwise I dont see the the Polo under pricing the Fabia any day.
In any case I heard there have been price cuts offered for the Fabia. A friend of mine is geting the top end Fabia with Leather seats and sun roof for 7 lakhs OTR Bangalore.
Old 13th May 2009, 14:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
more and more ugliness defined on Indian roads (except fiat punto/ linea, honda city/ jazz) which have a common platform but totally different exterior and interior design.
to what Tata and Maruti have done with their hatches but don't think VW would be some way near of getting that design crap.

They have been doing the same with Golf and Jetta, both looks good & sells well in the markets globally. Expect the same from Toyota, Corolla is been doing the same for it.

I think these global players will give some designing lessons to Desi Manufacturers, How to integrate boot to a Hatch

Last edited by S_budhiraj : 13th May 2009 at 14:16.
Old 13th May 2009, 17:04   #45
BANNED

ugh!!
another indica -> indigo -> marina
Closed Thread