Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Old 16th October 2008, 17:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Amazing writeup , great pics and pretty lucky you are.

Is the testing being done to get this car into India .
Please say yes.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 19:10   #17
Team-BHP Support

This is one SUV that should be sold here. Good to know that it might happen after all.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 19:34   #18
Jay
BHPian

Hey nice write up and nice pics Mav !
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 21:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

I personally don't like the looks of the Freelander 2....in the 2nd pic it reminds me of the ugly and flop Nissan X-trail somehow. But lucky you for getting to ride her, I'm happy for you Mav.
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 03:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Jesus, what are they waiting for. Launch the whole LR range in India I say.

Is it going to be sold thru the BMW dealer network or the Tatas. Selling them side by side in BMW showrooms would nicely complement the BMW sedans and also keep the dealers happy with more cars to sell and service.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 06:50   #21
BHPian

The LR Freelander has been an enigma. In Europe it was hailed as a great SUV and when it was introduced in the US, I bought it immediately. What a disappointment. Now, the ride and AWD are great - however the quality, price and (lack of) spares are terrible. We finally sold it a few weeks ago, and lost a lot of money. The LR dealers told us that the model has been discontinued in the US - so it begs the question - why is LR introducing it in India? Something is amiss.

IMO, too much of electronic control is a huge problem. I wish that LR had a AWD SUV/MUV that had more of the good old manual controls. That would be fun to drive.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Nattusbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 08:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
I personally don't like the looks of the Freelander 2....in the 2nd pic it reminds me of the ugly and flop Nissan X-trail somehow. But lucky you for getting to ride her, I'm happy for you Mav.
Come on man, its not that bad! The X-trail is a disaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom_ariel View Post
You said that the interior(in the rear) is disappointing.Can we see actually how bad the rear is?Have you any pics?
Will post the pics in due course, and its not that disappointing!
Maverick5490 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 10:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

How much does this one sell for in the western markets and what would be its appx. cost if sold in India?
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 11:25   #24
Team-BHP Support

Nattu,

The version you bought was the first Freelander - this was a lemon, poorly designed prior to the BMW takeover and known to give trouble. The latest Freelander has had a lot of inputs from Ford etc and is supposed to be much better
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 01:36   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
We finally sold it a few weeks ago, and lost a lot of money. The LR dealers told us that the model has been discontinued in the US - so it begs the question - why is LR introducing it in India? Something is amiss.
Wasn't really discontinued per se. Its replacement was christened a new name, the "LR2" for US market. The same one is coming here as the Freelander. Built on Ford's EUCD platrom same as Mondeo.

SUV residuals in US have tanked after July and the Freelander is probably worse than average.

Last edited by Mpower : 18th October 2008 at 01:39.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 08:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Buddy Sushil, great review. When'll it be launched in India. A great LR fan a friend of mine is looking out to buy one. He enquired about the launch!
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 10:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Here are the remaining pics as requested.As for the launch, I have no idea when will it happen.Also its the last day for the FR2 on Indian soil as it heads back to the UK today.
Attached Thumbnails
A Day with the Freelander 2!-dsc00619.jpg  

A Day with the Freelander 2!-dsc00620.jpg  

A Day with the Freelander 2!-dsc00624.jpg  

A Day with the Freelander 2!-dsc00627.jpg  

A Day with the Freelander 2!-dsc00626.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 18th October 2008, 11:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Here are the remaining pics as requested.As for the launch, I have no idea when will it happen.Also its the last day for the FR2 on Indian soil as it heads back to the UK today.
I hope LR takes notes and introduces the car soon. Maverick i was wondering what are the three blue strips under the speedo? The interiors look good but the rear leg room looks crammed or is it because the navigator seat has been taken all the way back.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 11:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I hope LR takes notes and introduces the car soon. Maverick i was wondering what are the three blue strips under the speedo? The interiors look good but the rear leg room looks crammed or is it because the navigator seat has been taken all the way back.

Those blue strips are temperature sensors which have been stuck all around the inside and outside of the car for the data analysis.And yes, the seat has been moved way back!
Old 18th October 2008, 11:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Those blue strips are temperature sensors which have been stuck all around the inside and outside of the car for the data analysis.And yes, the seat has been moved way back!
I thought as much but was not sure on the sensor part. So i guess this car is good for a normal sized person. I also wanted to know if this car can be ordered if not launched by Feb or March. I have managed to stall my brother till then to consider this as an option too. He is waiting for Dec as the Tiguan and the Q5 are said to launch, otherwise there is the X3.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote