Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 12:05   #661
Senior - BHPian
 
Anand123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 1,873
Thanked: 2,322 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

RIDING A SUPERBIKE IS NOT AS SIMPLE AS U THINK. UNLESS YOU GET USED TO IT, NEVER TRY TO PUSH IT HARD.

Yet another crash in Kerala and this one is a very bad one too. The rider is no more alive. RIP.
Heard that he lost control and banged into a tree last night, at around 2 AM.
It was a Yamaha R1.

Pic Courtesy- Vishnu Dev.
Attached Thumbnails
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-32411_442084632494046_1911111486_n.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-46194_442084739160702_647668887_n.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-46527_442084865827356_1124830765_n.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-183884_442084789160697_656160352_n.jpg  


Last edited by Anand123 : 31st October 2012 at 12:09.
Anand123 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 16:05   #662
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Scorcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Trivandrum, KL
Posts: 4,719
Thanked: 4,629 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Adding my two cents,

The bike belonged to a very dear friend of mine. He bought the bike used this year after years of planning. He is an amateur track racer at the moment and got the bike to graduate up in his track racing career.

Coming to this incident, he took the bike from Trivandrum to Cochin a few weeks back, where his college is. He suddenly fell ill and had to come back to Trivy last week. He left the bike at a friend’s place and this mishap happened when the friend, a 20yr old law student, decided to take it for a joyride.

The accident happened at 2am this morning at Edappally highway, near Oberon Mall. The estimated speed was north of 200kmph, he veered off a corner and rode straight into a tree. The rider passed away instantly and the bike literally disintegrated into its basic elements. The engine was found 100m away from the wreck.

My heart goes out to the deceased’s family and friends.

Lessons to be learned,
  • Said this time and again, Respect the machine’s capabilities and it will respect you.
  • Supercars/bikes can snap, and they can snap fast.
  • Never trust your vehicle with another person, no matter how close they are, they will never value it as much as you do.
  • Joyrides are fun, right till the moment your mind says, “who’s gonna know, it’s not my ride anyway”. It’s your life!

I really didn’t want to share this here but as Anand already posted the pictures, I said this to avoid further speculation and confusion. It could’ve got messy, so.
Scorcher is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 16:31   #663
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,254
Thanked: 264 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
  • Said this time and again, Respect the machine’s capabilities and it will respect you.
  • Supercars/bikes can snap, and they can snap fast.
  • Never trust your vehicle with another person, no matter how close they are, they will never value it as much as you do.
  • Joyrides are fun, right till the moment your mind says, “who’s gonna know, it’s not my ride anyway”. It’s your life!
The bike is totally ripped apart :O.

A real friend or even a real biker would never do that , he would know the limits, difference between lets try it and push it to limits / lets just ride it .
I think the person never rode a powerful bike before ,probably 2 gear full whack rev limiter ,before he could know what happened ,he would have hit something,that too in night ! .Very sad to see .Your friend would be repenting leaving the bike with his friend . Any idea if insurance would cover the bike ?

Last edited by black12rr : 31st October 2012 at 16:34.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 16:49   #664
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,526
Thanked: 900 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
The accident happened at 2am this morning at Edappally highway, near Oberon Mall. The estimated speed was north of 200kmph, he veered off a corner and rode straight into a tree.
Was he trying to turn into the service lane? Otherwise it doesn't make sense because that road is just straight as an arrow. Or maybe he was trying to avoid some other vehicle on the road.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 17:12   #665
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Scorcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Trivandrum, KL
Posts: 4,719
Thanked: 4,629 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Any idea if insurance would cover the bike ?
The bike is a clean Indian invoiced example, so I guess he would have insurance cover for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Was he trying to turn into the service lane? Otherwise it doesn't make sense because that road is just straight as an arrow. Or maybe he was trying to avoid some other vehicle on the road.
Intricate details are still sceptical as it was way too early in the morning for anyone to witness. This what we think happened, it was not a sharp corner, it was a slight bend, he either could’ve overtaken some other vehicle or the road must’ve been wet or too uneven which made him lose traction. Mind you, the tyres were brand new.
Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 18:44   #666
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportygellar View Post
Because the roads are crowded people go and crash Delhi and Bang roads are not less crowded too but we dont see many accidents happening
Read this link:-
http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/ma...le/File419.pdf
Make sure to scroll down to page 19 pointer 5.2.
Read the possible factors that cause accidents to educate yourself.

Best,
-Rohan
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 18:52   #667
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,757
Thanked: 1,509 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Damn,that R1 looks like it went through a paper shredder,may the departed soul R.I.P.

About 2 years back,I had this (2008)R1 with me for a month(Belonged to a Cousin who relocated for good).During that tenure,i used to ride it pretty often,but knowing its capabilities,i always handled it with utmost care,and hardly even touched 100km\hr.

People riding these bikes should realize that while riding there is no scope for error on these machines,a little carelessness and there is a fat chance one might end up as Late Mr\Ms.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 23:39   #668
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwin.terminat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,352
Thanked: 1,238 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Yet another crash in Kerala and this one is a very bad one too. The rider is no more alive. RIP.
Heard that he lost control and banged into a tree last night, at around 2 AM.
It was a Yamaha R1.
Sad to see an R1 trashed like that. But even worse to hear the rider didn't make it.
My condolences to the family. That friend is going to regret falling sick for a very long time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
People riding these bikes should realize that while riding there is no scope for error on these machines,a little carelessness and there is a fat chance one might end up as Late Mr\Ms.
I've got to agree with this. It takes the slightest lapse in concentration to land up on the wrong side of the road. Most people hop on these mean machines neither knowing the capabilities of the bike nor their own. Just because it's an R1 or a Gixxer, doesn't mean you will never crash. 200+kmph is not the kind of speeds you should be doing outside of a racetrack.

In Bangalore, I've seen people upload pictures of people pulling off some stunts on these bikes without wearing the appropriate safety gear. This kind of adulation they receive gives them the false impression that we're all impressed. I strongly believe that unless a system is established where an amateur incapable of handling the prowess of a superbike/car cannot buy one, you can expect a lot more of such pictures in the future considering how importing these bikes now isn't as much as the hassle it was in the late 90's and money flow is better too.

My 2 cents. May the departed soul R.I.P.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 07:09   #669
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Scorcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Trivandrum, KL
Posts: 4,719
Thanked: 4,629 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
It was a Yamaha R1.
Some pics of the baby in her days of glory!
Attached Thumbnails
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-241953_339908736086927_1400539321_o.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-575827_341040249307109_1018236536_n.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-170438_340627879348346_1697317553_o.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-523962_344011422343325_167878565_n.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-291604_340294249381709_725971832_o.jpg  

Scorcher is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:25   #670
BHPian
 
jalex77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thodupuzha
Posts: 103
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Adding my two cents,

The bike belonged to a very dear friend of mine. He bought the bike used this year after years of planning. He is an amateur track racer at the moment and got the bike to graduate up in his track racing career.

Coming to this incident, he took the bike from Trivandrum to Cochin a few weeks back, where his college is. He suddenly fell ill and had to come back to Trivy last week. He left the bike at a friend’s place and this mishap happened when the friend, a 20yr old law student, decided to take it for a joyride.

The accident happened at 2am this morning at Edappally highway, near Oberon Mall. The estimated speed was north of 200kmph, he veered off a corner and rode straight into a tree. The rider passed away instantly and the bike literally disintegrated into its basic elements. The engine was found 100m away from the wreck.

My heart goes out to the deceased’s family and friends.

Lessons to be learned,
  • Said this time and again, Respect the machine’s capabilities and it will respect you.
  • Supercars/bikes can snap, and they can snap fast.
  • Never trust your vehicle with another person, no matter how close they are, they will never value it as much as you do.
  • Joyrides are fun, right till the moment your mind says, “who’s gonna know, it’s not my ride anyway”. It’s your life!

I really didn’t want to share this here but as Anand already posted the pictures, I said this to avoid further speculation and confusion. It could’ve got messy, so.
I feel so sorry for the owner of the bike. I know how hard this will be for him as my own bike was crashed by friends two times in a year. I used to take part in the INRC 2 Wheelers and one of the crashes was a week before a rally. My friend had managed to crash and slide the bike under the front axle of a moving truck. He escaped with minor bruises and cheated death by a hairline. But the bike was literally totalled, all that was left unharmed was the engine block. I was still in college and there was no way for me to get the bike back to shape and hundred percent. Also lost on practice runs and so could not participate in the event.

The lesson I learnt then and there is never to lend your bike or car to anyone. And like you said they will never take care of it like you do.

I also thank you for sharing the info here. Hope people learn from this and think twice before entrusting or lending the keys of their car or bike to someone.
jalex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 02:15   #671
fb1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 5 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

RIP, really sad. I remember lending my Pulsar back in the day to a friend and he ended up totalling it, luckily he didnt suffer any major injuries. I think we should all learn a lesson from this. We should not give our friends keys to our vehicles unless we are there with them to supervise them riding/driving it. If I ever leave a SBK/CAR at a friends place I will keep the key with me. RIP young soul, cant blame him, I would have been extremely tempted to take the bike out myself, with these powerful machines you dont realise how quickly you can touch 200 KM/HR.
fb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:48   #672
BHPian
 
darklord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TVM (KL-16)
Posts: 421
Thanked: 586 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

The bike is possibly not a clean one; at least ToI and Kochi Police suspect so.

In Kochi, superbikes come easy
Quote:
Kochi: The police investigating the accident in which a 20-year-old was killed after he crashed into a median in Edappally on a borrowed Rs 15-lakh Yamaha R1 I now suspects a major superbike smuggling racket operating in the state.

The owner of the Yamaha R1 bike has not submitted the registration certificates yet, prompting the police to suspect the hands of a smuggling racket.

“We suspect the registration documents of the bike to be fake. Though the bike has a Goa registration, preliminary inquiry has revealed that there are no records for the bike on the website of the motor vehicle department in Goa,” said a police official.

When TOI contacted the owner of the bike, the so-called owner claimed that he had brought the bike from another friend, and there was no clarity in his version on the bike’s ownership.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:50   #673
BHPian
 
MaddyCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ALPY/TRV/SYD
Posts: 68
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

I've got to agree with this. It takes the slightest lapse in concentration to land up on the wrong side of the road. Most people hop on these mean machines neither knowing the capabilities of the bike nor their own. Just because it's an R1 or a Gixxer, doesn't mean you will never crash. 200+kmph is not the kind of speeds you should be doing outside of a racetrack.

In Bangalore, I've seen people upload pictures of people pulling off some stunts on these bikes without wearing the appropriate safety gear. This kind of adulation they receive gives them the false impression that we're all impressed. I strongly believe that unless a system is established where an amateur incapable of handling the prowess of a superbike/car cannot buy one, you can expect a lot more of such pictures in the future considering how importing these bikes now isn't as much as the hassle it was in the late 90's and money flow is better too.
+1 to that ashwin.

Its not just Bangalore. Thanks to the booming economy, in every Indian city there are uber rich dad's n mom's getting these mean machines as birthday/ graduation presents for their sons. The result is visible on youtube and other online communities, with barely 20 year olds doing fly-bys and stunts on litre class machines on public roads. You can also easily spot a few instances from Kochi, featuring even a few tbhp-ians / their friends and their "antics". Such irresponsible behavior and the sad state of roads & traffic in Kerala, would ensure that accidents like these are going to happen more frequently.

With all due respect to the Indian Biking community, I think that "majority" of us Indians are better off riding lower spec motorcycles since we just don't seem to realize what these mean machines are capable of. Like Scorcher aptly put it, the mantra should be "Respect the machine’s capabilities and it will respect you"

On a side note, IMO it is high time that the government on its part implements a strict licensing scheme like the western countries - where a rider graduates from the smaller machines to the bigger ones. That way, not every guy with big bucks will get their hands on these monsters and in the process get themselves/ the people around them seriously injured/ killed.
MaddyCrew is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:44   #674
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Scorcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Trivandrum, KL
Posts: 4,719
Thanked: 4,629 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
The bike is possibly not a clean one; at least ToI and Kochi Police suspect so.
Total bull I'd say, I know for a matter of fact that this particular bike is totally legal Indian invoiced bike. My friend paid north of 9 lakhs for the 2008 bike. So he clearly preferred to stay on the safe side and chose against going for a grey market bike. This is classic media hype scenario.

As a matter of fact, I would go ahead and say that the number of illegal bikes in the state has really come down in the past few years. Majority of the imported bikes/cars in the state are now either Indian invoiced or running on full duty with DRI certification (most prefer not to re-register the vehicles locally simply to not harm the resale value).

Quoting a friend’s words (who own a locally registered superbike), “We pay such huge amount of our hard earned money and buy a road legal vehicle and register it locally paying the HUGE taxes levied upon us and still have to fear the cops* and public** every time we go out for a ride. This is the most unfortunate factor of owning a superbike in Kerala.”

I would also love to add that India’s superbike scene CANNOT be compared to other countries. There if people see someone riding a superbike, they get that, they think “Okay, he is a biker and is riding a bike of his choice” Simple. No one comments upon anything else.

On the other hand, in India owning high performance vehicles is something which is always frowned upon. It is a rich spoilt brat’s toy, I admit, we have such nut cases, but classifying the whole biker community as hooligans for a handful of such people is really unfortunate.

*One word, Bullying. They’re totally ignorant of the facts that if the vehicle is legal or not, you were riding sanely or not, you were following the rules or not. If you are riding a superbike, you ARE a hooligan, you ARE uncivilized, you ARE a criminal. Took for granted!

** Several instances occurred when public reported cops that a large number of superbikes are “parked” at public places, suspecting they must be preparing for “racing”. Duh!
Scorcher is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:22   #675
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,900
Thanked: 4,541 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Totally agree about the stereotyping.... We jeepers go through the same thing.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A look at the Supercar/Import section in the 80/90's..... v12 Super-Cars & Imports in India 54 13th September 2014 03:06
Mr.Bean crashes his McLaren F1 Supercar in UK kraft.wagen The International Automotive Scene 12 8th August 2011 21:35
Air India Express Flight from Dubai crashes at Mangalore airport - Over 160 Dead sidindica Shifting gears 114 29th May 2010 14:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:13.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks