Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2013, 09:51   #871
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 185 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish.Krovvidi View Post
@ black12rr - Thanks for adding precise information of the crash.
What does the FIR/analysis of the cause of the accident say? No matter what you say or give as supporting, the fact remains that 99.99% of folks on super bikes are driving fast, rash, and revving. Please don't discredit people's observational powers and experience, I have been observing super bikes and bike driving behaviours change for the worse in our country since 1980. Our indian environment is such that it will never let you safely get the satisfaction of riding a bike slow fast or anything else, until such time I am sorry you have a tough task ahead of yourself in putting forth any argument in a culture where the doubt will always be cast on the ridder. We all know the devil in us when we get on bikes . Like some concerned folks in my house say the speed limit set in India is meant for a perfect environment BEST is to remain below it and not above by slightly/only/or merely or you may pay with your life like this gentleman has.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th November 2013 at 10:14.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 13:06   #872
BHPian
 
azeemhafiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 295 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
What does the FIR/analysis of the cause of the accident say? No matter what you say or give as supporting, the fact remains that 99.99% of folks on super bikes are driving fast, rash, and revving. Please don't discredit people's observational powers and experience, I have been observing super bikes and bike driving behaviours change for the worse in our country since 1980. Our indian environment is such that it will never let you safely get the satisfaction of riding a bike slow fast or anything else, until such time I am sorry you have a tough task ahead of yourself in putting forth any argument in a culture where the doubt will always be cast on the ridder.
While I agree that the we do have a lot of super bike owners drive fast and rash, it is extremely unfair to generalise this statement for every single instance. I find such statement to be preposterous especially in the event a life has been lost.

Wires tangling on the front wheel could be fatal even to a cyclist at really slow speeds, let alone a biker or in this case a super biker.

I also have a great admiration for fellow members in the forum who at the first chance indicate exceeding the speed limit. I have been guilty of breaking it several times, but I admire patience and maturity of 'speed limit advocates' to have never driven above 80kmph ever on roads. Since access to a race track is difficult, I admire the maturity of not taking the car or bike to triple digit speeds ever. Hat tip.

Apologies for going off topic, but I really do feel for the guy who lost his life in an accident that in many ways could have been avoided if our civic bodies had any civic sense.
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 13:18   #873
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 1,374 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish.Krovvidi;3295259
[B
So am not surprised the SHOIE broke at 70 when he hit the tree head first, after all it's plastic.[/b]
MODS - Can you please move this to an appropriate forum as this may be slightly OT here


Hi Harish,

I respect the views expressed by you and do agree largely with your analysis.

However, I would request you to kindly elusidate on the above statement - for the sake of calrity and probably saving thousands of "fools" like me world over who have been using Shoie, with confidence and conviction.

May be you know something none of us know about one of the best rated helmets in the world, who still has not gone to the questionable mnufacturers to manufacture their product ? As of now Shoie is about the only brand that is still Made in Japan and has DOT & Snell aproval as well.

Awaiting your inputs

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 17th November 2013 at 13:21.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 13:23   #874
BHPian
 
Harish.Krovvidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 70 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
What does the FIR/analysis of the cause of the accident say?
First report was that he was speeding and hit the median and the tree, nothing more it was just 9 lines. On pressing that a thought detailed report be submitted. The ATM, security cams from independent house and shop was used.
It was observed that the rider was driving fast, noticed a cable that had been cut in the road, while trying to avoid it he served too much towards the footpath and hit it. On impact the rider as thrown off the bike. He flew off the bike hitting the tree head first.

Do you want a copy of the FiR and death report. I don't mind spending the next weekend to clear the air for you. Don't opinionated the incident based on your bad experience with SBK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
No matter what you say or give as supporting, the fact remains that 99.99% of folks on super bikes are driving fast, rash, and revving. Please don't discredit people's observational powers and experience.
My point just is that the % your quoting is wrong. And this guys at the point of time the accident happened was not a part of the % you quoted.

But I do agree some of them are careless and ride wreckless lay, but with the motorcycle clubs coming into picture which ride groups have rule this % has reduced drastically.

Why are you not bashing any of the BEST, BMtC, Volvo, scorpions innova or ItEs company cabs and buses? I think your biased.


Revving is done because when a SBK honks and cars don't move that is a way of telling to move over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I have been observing super bikes and bike driving behaviours change for the worse in our country since 1980.
Sir you were 6 years in the 1980 looking at the profile age and I was just born and Mumbai had just handful of 400-750 cc bike back then.

And please don't generalize driving behavior going to the worse only to motorbikes have you seen the way cars drive? The last thing I want to do is bash my own fraternity of TBhP posting videos of member cars with sticker driving rashly on public roads skipping stops signs in The rash driving section.

Pls PM if you want any more info on the incident it's not useful for me to post in this thread beyond this point.
Harish.Krovvidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 20:36   #875
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 185 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish.Krovvidi View Post
First report was that he was speeding and hit the median and the tree, nothing more it was just 9 lines. On pressing that a thought detailed report be submitted. The ATM, security cams from independent house and shop was used.
It was observed that the rider was driving fast, noticed a cable that had been cut in the road, while trying to avoid it he served too much towards the footpath and hit it. On impact the rider as thrown off the bike. He flew off the bike hitting the tree head first.

Do you want a copy of the FiR and death report. I don't mind spending the next weekend to clear the air for you. Don't opinionated the incident based on your bad experience with SBK.



My point just is that the % your quoting is wrong. And this guys at the point of time the accident happened was not a part of the % you quoted.

But I do agree some of them are careless and ride wreckless lay, but with the motorcycle clubs coming into picture which ride groups have rule this % has reduced drastically.

Why are you not bashing any of the BEST, BMtC, Volvo, scorpions innova or ItEs company cabs and buses? I think your biased.


Revving is done because when a SBK honks and cars don't move that is a way of telling to move over.



Sir you were 6 years in the 1980 looking at the profile age and I was just born and Mumbai had just handful of 400-750 cc bike back then.

And please don't generalize driving behavior going to the worse only to motorbikes have you seen the way cars drive? The last thing I want to do is bash my own fraternity of TBhP posting videos of member cars with sticker driving rashly on public roads skipping stops signs in The rash driving section.

Pls PM if you want any more info on the incident it's not useful for me to post in this thread beyond this point.
6 is a good enough age for a true blue Motörhead like me, seen several folks like garry lawyer and my cousins, i was around bikes, so much that my folks banned me from ever buying one, plus I have fairy well developed observational skills/ started drawing cars mostly w115 mercedes all the time at age 4. Anyway I am not going to dwell on this, that's your prerogative. Please note we are currently discussing this accident related to bikes, I have the same opinions about innovas, buses, cars what have you. So your assuming it is about bikes only is completely unfounded. I for one surely think you are perhaps in some sort of denial and are taking a lot of trouble to defend what happened which you nor I were there to see. Indian road environment is COMPLTELY reckless, some cars themselves are death traps, bikes even worse as they don't protect the body at all, it's about being practical and hopefully living longer. Yes you live only once, it is your right, and we are a democracy, blah blah. I think this forum and thread is read by a lot of impressionable people so better safe than sorry as you and I can't do anything about our civic environment (mostly irresponsible, un accountable etc) in a drastic manner until which time again better safe than sorry.
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 22:28   #876
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Roads in India are pathetic and the lower visibility at night makes it even worse. While everyone agrees that the infrastructure is bad, it is also a well known fact that every driver is aware. Its not like the road was up to international standards till sunset.

While I'm not trying to defend either side, anyone who is riding a bike in India should expect at least some of these death traps on the road. Instead of the cables in this case, even an unscientific speed breaker or an improperly refitted manhole cover (and so on) could lead to fatal accidents, just to name a few I've come across. It is just common sense that we should not go at any speed where you cannot stop on time, though most people (including myself) often forget or overlook this fact. Putting a number like 60 or 50 or 35km/h as an 'acceptable speed' is nonsense - the rider was above the speed where he could brake safely after seeing a cable on the road. That's all that mattered for him in the end. RIP

With bike riding at night, it is much easier to lose balance and control during hard braking since most head lights are not good enough for giving proper visibility of your entire braking distance. By the time you see something, there is not enough distance in front of you to brake normally and you are forced to resort to hard braking hoping you still have the balance after the bike stops.

In case of a lot of bike accidents, the bike suffers lesser damage than the rider since the powerful brakes reduce the speed at impact for the bike. However, the inertia of motion causes the speed of the rider to be still high resulting in riders getting thrown away from the bike, mostly head first as that is the heaviest portion of the human body and our hands gripping the handle bar acts as a lever-fulcrum mechanism aiding this motion.

I assume the above view holds good irrespective of whether the bike in question is a super bike or a common man's 100cc bike.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 10:42   #877
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 185 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Roads in India are pathetic and the lower visibility at night makes it even worse. While everyone agrees that the infrastructure is bad, it is also a well known fact that every driver is aware. Its not like the road was up to international standards till sunset.

While I'm not trying to defend either side, anyone who is riding a bike in India should expect at least some of these death traps on the road. Instead of the cables in this case, even an unscientific speed breaker or an improperly refitted manhole cover (and so on) could lead to fatal accidents, just to name a few I've come across. It is just common sense that we should not go at any speed where you cannot stop on time, though most people (including myself) often forget or overlook this fact. Putting a number like 60 or 50 or 35km/h as an 'acceptable speed' is nonsense - the rider was above the speed where he could brake safely after seeing a cable on the road. That's all that mattered for him in the end. RIP

With bike riding at night, it is much easier to lose balance and control during hard braking since most head lights are not good enough for giving proper visibility of your entire braking distance. By the time you see something, there is not enough distance in front of you to brake normally and you are forced to resort to hard braking hoping you still have the balance after the bike stops.
Zenren, bulls eye!! Better safe than sorry, we are still backward no point trying speed up and be forward

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 20th November 2013 at 11:44. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:05   #878
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Delhi's Chrysler 300C T-Boned a Santro in Rohini a few minutes ago. While the Santro seems to have lost much of its parts, the only visible damage to the Chrysler is near the number plate. The santro's owner claimed that he was standing on the road waiting for other side's traffic to clear as he had to join the road and Chrysler guy was unable to brake. However, knowing how people drive here(and especially on this road), I'm very sure Santro was not being driven very sanely either. Personal opinion, not sure.
It seemed Chrysler was going to attend a wedding(judging by the flowers on boot). My sympathies with both the involved parties.

Attaching pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-3.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-4.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-1.jpg  

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-2.jpg  

N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:40   #879
BHPian
 
RIC.BURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 101 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Roads in India are pathetic and the lower visibility at night makes it even worse. While everyone agrees that the infrastructure is bad, it is also a well known fact that every driver is aware. Its not like the road was up to international standards till sunset.
why so much hate? Have you seen the earlier days of our roads, its one of the improving areas in India, give it sometime. Have you seen the highways outside the metros in US, the visibility is up to your vehicles headlight. I would not bash the infrastructure if there is not much visibility, instead i would reduce my speed by 15 or 20mph.
RIC.BURNS is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 08:32   #880
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,875
Thanked: 4,377 Times
Default

Jag on the Mumbai sea link last night at approx 1am. Probably happened a minute before we passed. Sorry for the blurry pics. This is at the worli end at the blind sweeping turn.
Attached Images
       
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 10:15   #881
BHPian
 
Pheonix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hi-drive-a-bad
Posts: 186
Thanked: 97 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Jag on the Mumbai sea link last night at approx 1am.
Wonder how it turned topsy-turvy negotiating a curve,but it looks to be a smooth upside turn as the roof doesnt look to collapse inside and i am sure the passengers wouldnt hve been much hurt if they got their belts on. Interiors all look pretty intact.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 12:49   #882
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,260
Thanked: 702 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Looks like it has dragged along the road upside down for quite a distance. Notice the white scratch marks on the tarmac. Any idea what exactly happened? Hope everyone is ok.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 23:28   #883
BHPian
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 526
Thanked: 423 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish.Krovvidi View Post
are you sure?

KA04 EH is 2008 series number issued in bangalore and R1 was selling at about 10.5Lac invoiced by wheels bangalore.

this ones a EM so assume its a much later bike..

its up for sale last i heard 3 weeks back.
My friend owned this bike back in 2006. I clearly remember having taken it for a spin sometime in mid 06 and it handled like crap.

As per the docs, iirc, it was Registered in 2005.

Cheers!
james is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 03:26   #884
v12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,523
Thanked: 2,461 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Todays TOI reported news of a Bentley being involved in an accident on the Mumbai-Ahemadabad highway. Here's the article and a pic of the car in its good old days.
Name:  BentleyCrash.jpg
Views: 7365
Size:  209.0 KB

Name:  Bentley.jpg
Views: 7549
Size:  103.7 KB
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 14:38   #885
BHPian
 
charan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 83
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
This car prolly belongs to the owner of one of the famous multiplexes in Chennai.
The Car is no longer with the multiplex group.The incident took place after the sale.
charan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A look at the Supercar/Import section in the 80/90's..... v12 Super-Cars & Imports in India 54 13th September 2014 03:06
Mr.Bean crashes his McLaren F1 Supercar in UK kraft.wagen The International Automotive Scene 12 8th August 2011 21:35
Air India Express Flight from Dubai crashes at Mangalore airport - Over 160 Dead sidindica Shifting gears 114 29th May 2010 14:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:40.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks