Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 13:37   #136
BHPian
 
jubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

what a video dude .
superb.
i'm glued to this thread .


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
A classic video from the early 90s

A skinny Jeremy Clarkson reviews the W140 600SEL on Top Gear

Last edited by Dippy : 10th November 2009 at 13:41. Reason: Avoid quoting the video link in your replies. Thanks.
jubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 14:26   #137
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun m View Post
hey sorry SPEEDY. But i guess now u r officially a V12, HAHA. My e36 is sold. Owning the W140 was not a nightmare. I guess people have it in their mind that a mercedes S CLASS is expensive to maintain. Its definately true for the newer ones, the w140 is not expensive to maintain at all. I had no problems with my ride. Onlt the fuel consumption was a bit low but hey its a very heavy car. I drive mine between 1.5k and 2k rpm and it returns around 8 in the city constantly. I guess yours would return 5 max as its a V12 and mine is an inline 6.

But maintaining this baby was not expensive. I would recomend you to change the transmission filter immediately and forget about the transmission for ANOTHER 40K kms. Its not expensive too. i got mine for 3.3k. Every 5k kms, get it servised, dont wait for 10k. I get mine servised from khan marker. All filters, oil and labour costs 6.5k max which is not at all expensive for a s class. You spend 1 k a month on her if you see the yearly expences you make on these cars. My car doesnot have electronic seats, my cousins S500 had them which were very expensive to repair when they motor got spoilt. Rest my car has all the features and it never troubled me. I want a sports car now so selling her :-( if you know anyone who would be interested, let me know as im selling her cheap.
I asked about the E36 as she is still up for sale on the adds.

The car weighs two tons and with the powerfull engines to carry her through would give a fair average. That does not worry me atall as most of my cars are 6 and 8 cylinders. If you drive at 2k rpm and it returns 8 kmpl with me she would give 6 and according to you the v12 would return 5 kmpl i would count 3 kmpl as i would not drive her at 2k rpm. My 325i which is a inline 6 and gives me 5 kmpl.

The first thing i have instructed is for all the filters to be changed. There is no two ways about it. Woh thats an eye opener, i expected it to be far more expensive. 6.5k is nothing for the S class. Mine has electronic seats so the expense would be there but in my car everything works. Now do you get the parts for the car or the Mechanic at Khan market get it for you? I used to see your car at Khan Market when i was in Delhi and i presume you stay in the same area..My car would be serviced at the official mercedes service center so i guess i would look at nothing below 30 thousand .
Thank you for the insight it has opened my eyes a bit more, really appriciate it.
Would let you know if anyone is interested. Which sports are you looking at?
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 15:34   #138
BHPian
 
varun m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: mumbai and delhi
Posts: 93
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

speedy, i get my spares myself. There is agarwal in khan market and arihant in palika bhawan who deal in genuine parts. taiwanese spares are flooded in khan market but these 2 guys are genuine. i stay in gurgaon but get her servised myself. never leave her at those places with the mechanic. Sorry to say but once i did the mistake of droping her at a authorised merc showroom for a regular service along with some electronic door mirror work ( switch was changed to be precise ), i had to pay a bill of 21k. it wasnt worth according to me when i can get the same job done for 6 - 7 k.

neways i wish you all the best with your car and its a lovely ride. Im looking for a MR2 turbo or a supra. lets see, once i sell my w140, i will go and meet these few guys lined up with these cars. Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I asked about the E36 as she is still up for sale on the adds.

The car weighs two tons and with the powerfull engines to carry her through would give a fair average. That does not worry me atall as most of my cars are 6 and 8 cylinders. If you drive at 2k rpm and it returns 8 kmpl with me she would give 6 and according to you the v12 would return 5 kmpl i would count 3 kmpl as i would not drive her at 2k rpm. My 325i which is a inline 6 and gives me 5 kmpl.

The first thing i have instructed is for all the filters to be changed. There is no two ways about it. Woh thats an eye opener, i expected it to be far more expensive. 6.5k is nothing for the S class. Mine has electronic seats so the expense would be there but in my car everything works. Now do you get the parts for the car or the Mechanic at Khan market get it for you? I used to see your car at Khan Market when i was in Delhi and i presume you stay in the same area..My car would be serviced at the official mercedes service center so i guess i would look at nothing below 30 thousand .
Thank you for the insight it has opened my eyes a bit more, really appriciate it.
Would let you know if anyone is interested. Which sports are you looking at?
varun m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 17:11   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
hanmust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calicut
Posts: 2,480
Thanked: 99 Times
Default

Any new photos buddy?
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 00:32   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun m View Post
speedy, i get my spares myself. There is agarwal in khan market and arihant in palika bhawan who deal in genuine parts. taiwanese spares are flooded in khan market but these 2 guys are genuine. i stay in gurgaon but get her servised myself. never leave her at those places with the mechanic. Sorry to say but once i did the mistake of droping her at a authorised merc showroom for a regular service along with some electronic door mirror work ( switch was changed to be precise ), i had to pay a bill of 21k. it wasnt worth according to me when i can get the same job done for 6 - 7 k.
Point taken my friend. At the end of the day the cr has to be in top form and where it is done is not imprtant . The reason i asked was i had seen your car when i was in delhi and always thought it was from Golf links. My car would go to the authorised center as it has been ages since it was driven and no one can do a diagnosis better than Mercedes. The parts shall be provided to them by me. So i do not mind a little extra cost to get the car in top mechanical form, The rest of it shall be done by my inhouse guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun m View Post
neways i wish you all the best with your car and its a lovely ride. Im looking for a MR2 turbo or a supra. lets see, once i sell my w140, i will go and meet these few guys lined up with these cars. Cheers.
Thank you sir. Nice do keep us posted on the happenings. Hope you get a good home for your car and the new entrants come soon. Both are very good cars and my friend still owns his Mr2 turbo an its a monster.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
Any new photos buddy?
Unfotunately not Hanni. The car is still awaiting its turn for a service. I shall take some fun pictures with other Mercedes tommorrow if the weather permits as it has been raining in Bombay.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 10:34   #141
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 474
Thanked: 25 Times
Lightbulb A lot of Contradictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The parts shall be provided to them by me.
According to me(I do own a W124), No Authorised Dealer will accept Parts for a Customer. Please give me Name & Number of Person you speak to at the Service Station if he accepts parts from you.

I was also interested in buying this S600 sometime ago but did not buy as it was supposed to be an Expensive Car to maintain. Anyway we do not have the Space on our roads to drive this car so I guess you are planning to drive it only Late at Nights.

I was informed by some Service Advisor that this car had the Variable Cylinder Technology. Have you disabled it ?
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 10:53   #142
BHPian
 
Prithvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 301
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun m View Post
congrats V12....awesome ride. Welcome to the w140 club. I own the baby w140, the S280. Wahat a sturdy car it is. But unfortunately its up for sale at the moment as i got 2 new cars. But what a car. Check out some pics of my car.
Why you selling this beauty?
Prithvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 12:34   #143
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
According to me(I do own a W124), No Authorised Dealer will accept Parts for a Customer. Please give me Name & Number of Person you speak to at the Service Station if he accepts parts from you.
You are right. The authorised dealer does not accept parts from a customer, but when the dealer is a customer for someone they do. It also applies if the car is not of a production model they ask the client to provide the parts if they cannot organise it. Example when my 635csi went to infinity motors for a service when i bought her. The filters etc were provided by me. When i spoke to Navneet Motors for restoring my Rolls they firstly said they cannot restore it and can only paint it for me, then they said you provide all the parts and we shall try to restore it. I am restoreing her myself now. I can give you the name and numbers of the Heads at Auto Hanger but it would be of no help to you as they would not take parts from you or any other client except if you have a classic or vintage Mercedes. There are always exceptions to the rules .

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
I was also interested in buying this S600 sometime ago but did not buy as it was supposed to be an Expensive Car to maintain. Anyway we do not have the Space on our roads to drive this car so I guess you are planning to drive it only Late at Nights.
This car was not for sale brother, it took me alot (6.5 months) of convinceing to make them (even though the owners son is a friend of mine) agree to sell this and their other cars. Anyways your change of heart got me a Master piece. Thank you.
We do have ample of space on our roads (she is smaller than the Phantom) and i plan to have her as my daily drive and no longer an only night car. In the day since my father and me go to work (andheri) together we would be taking any of the other cars. After 530pm she would be in use for week days. Saturday and Sunday the full day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
I was informed by some Service Advisor that this car had the Variable Cylinder Technology. Have you disabled it ?
I have not disabled anything on the car. I did some research and the 92 model did not have it. They were experimented upon the v12 engines and a few cars after 95, but launched on the W220 S 600. I can get the Variable cylinder technology put on my car but this would involve opening the engine and experimenting. I do no not wish to open the engine as she is like brand new.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Why you selling this beauty?
He mentioned he wanted to get either a Mr2 or a supra after selling his W140 S280 and he did not have parking space. Lets keep discussions for Varuns car on Pm please. Thank you.

Last edited by speedy : 11th November 2009 at 12:36.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 17:12   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

The rains played spoil sport but i did manage to get a few pictures.

Supercars i hope you enjoy this. The Man and his Bodygaurd. True Blue Mercedes Men in a now Mercedes Womans world .
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-11112009302.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-11112009305.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-11112009306.jpg  

Bought a "Big Daddy" W140 Mercedes S600 V12-11112009303.jpg  

speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 17:30   #145
Senior - BHPian
 
avishar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: kolkata/bangalore,india
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 686 Times
Default

Those two look like they will withstand a nuclear blast.Very special pics speedy.Thanks for them.The stocky w124 compliment the rounded edges of the w140.That is a wonderful car you got there speedy.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 18:04   #146
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Those two look like they will withstand a nuclear blast.Very special pics speedy.Thanks for them.The stocky w124 compliment the rounded edges of the w140.That is a wonderful car you got there speedy.
Thank you. The W124 is a compact version of the W140 body wise and compliment each other completely. Features of the S are much more thats all.

The last picture Makes it look like all the newer Mercedes are running helter skelter and clearing the path for the original tough guys .
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 18:51   #147
BHPian
 
jubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

nice pics speedy
i'm beginning to love my W124 even more .
does this model feature parking rods on the boot (as it has in the video dippy has posted ?)
i'm also told by a friend that it has a feature of orthopedic seats ?
where the cushions inflate and deflate as per the drivers seating position ?

also if you could attach a sound clip of the V12 exhaust note.

Last edited by jubin : 11th November 2009 at 18:53.
jubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 23:12   #148
Senior - BHPian
 
AyAn!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Durgapur/Calcutta/Pune
Posts: 2,167
Thanked: 850 Times
Default

Nice pics man! The color really stands out in these pics! Did you put up tints already?!
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 01:08   #149
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubin View Post
nice pics speedy
i'm beginning to love my W124 even more .
does this model feature parking rods on the boot (as it has in the video dippy has posted ?)
i'm also told by a friend that it has a feature of orthopedic seats ?
where the cushions inflate and deflate as per the drivers seating position ?

also if you could attach a sound clip of the V12 exhaust note.
You should have already been in love with your W124 Jubin, its never to late to start over . No mine does not have that facility, i guess they were options.
These have individual seats at the rear with the recliner facility like the Maybach, but nothing that inflates or deflates. The drivers seat is just like your car seats but with electronic adjusters.
That would have to wait as i have not started her for more than a few seconds and that too thrice this week. She is still awaiting the fuel and oil change and a new exhaust. The time the exhaust gets on she will growl for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Nice pics man! The color really stands out in these pics! Did you put up tints already?!
No she is just cleaned everyday and covered up. Today infact she is muddy as it was raining and was not cleaned. So the moral of the post is she looks better dirty . No she has tinted glasses, the tints are yet to come on.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 09:04   #150
BHPian
 
jubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

hey on the rear windshield i see a small black object?
whats that. and do mention what oils etc are you using so some young turks like me can benefit from your experiences of owning a 3 pointed Star.
jubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics : Mercedes S500 and S600 (W140) Aditya Super-Cars & Imports in India 204 13th December 2017 21:45
Big Daddy S-class in Bombay: Mercedes S65 AMG! Sahil Super-Cars & Imports in India 171 13th August 2016 21:09
Wanted: W140 Mercedes S Class S500 or S600. Dippy Shifting gears 8 25th July 2007 15:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks