Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 01:02   #106
BHPian
 
Car-e-ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 222
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

I was just wondering even if someone buys it . How practical would it be getting it restored . The point i want to make is that fair enough if you have a vintage car you get aftermarket parts counterfitted onto it and get it to work . Ferrari is ferrari at the end of day it was still sky high expensive years ago and still now . Moreover its old now so i dont think so one can get exact the same new parts to build it . Moreover its very hard to find ferraris in scrapyard . Unless somebody wants it to run on 4 wheels somehow (doesnt matter the right engine,suspension,right functions)and happy being on a ferrari.
Like i said its not impossible , Its just not practical . Probably thats the reason its lying there unused,untouched and getting more and more worst.
Car-e-ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 16:42   #107
BHPian
 
Rosso Corsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOM - ATL
Posts: 541
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
the mondial i believe is still not done up properly it has been temperarily fixed. the 275 gtb that was featured was Dr russi's car that was in dadar parsee colony and had been exported by his sons after his death. this is another car that now belongs to a textile house.
the dino is in yellow i have to get in touch with my friend to get the exact location of the car.
So that means there's one more 275 GTB still in Mumbai ? Is it also a Competizione version ?

Talking of the Dino in Mumbai, if thats true, then the total count of Dinos in India will be 3. 2 in Bangalore, 1 here.
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 23:38   #108
BHPian
 
Taronish_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 266
Thanked: 239 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

To see any car in such condition is sad. To see a Ferrari like this is heartbreaking.


It seems to be a forgotten relic from a days gone by. Surely isn't in running condition, nor is the interior in top nick.


Italian cars are notorious for electrical trouble and having this car submerged in a flood would surely have messed them up even further. This thread brought tears to my eyes. If I had the money I'd try to rescue the old girl but even for someone with the money to do it, it will end up a gamble as the panels may have been rusted beyond repair and the chassis may have rotted away underneath as well.
Taronish_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 20:51   #109
BHPian
 
evoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Is there any update on the Ferrari? Has it been succesfully restored? Is there any other thread with the pictures?
evoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 23:32   #110
BHPian
 
Rosso Corsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOM - ATL
Posts: 541
Thanked: 492 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
Is there any update on the Ferrari? Has it been succesfully restored? Is there any other thread with the pictures?
No other thread and highly unlikely that it was restored.
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 10:12   #111
BHPian
 
evoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 16 Times
Unhappy Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
No other thread and highly unlikely that it was restored.
That is very sad. After going by the initial enthusiasm in this thread, I was really hoping that it will be restored to its former glory by one of the enthusiasts.
Just a few posts ago, there was a talk about the car being shifted from Navnit and taken to some place else right?
evoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 13:59   #112
BHPian
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 467 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Completly forgot about this thread!

Yes! The car has been restored but still needs some fine tuning. From what i hear, the motor runs and the car moves but thats about it. Kudos to the guys behind the restoration though.

The car is still with the restorer. Attached herewith is a pic of the car taken from the restorers FB album.

Sunilrj from the forum could shed more light on the current situation of the car.

Cheers!
Name:  ferrari.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  38.6 KB

Last edited by james : 8th June 2013 at 14:09.
james is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 21:05   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Completly forgot about this thread!

Yes! The car has been restored but still needs some fine tuning. From what i hear, the motor runs and the car moves but thats about it. Kudos to the guys behind the restoration though.

The car is still with the restorer. Attached herewith is a pic of the car taken from the restorers FB album.

Sunilrj from the forum could shed more light on the current situation of the car.

Cheers!
Attachment 1094123
Can you point us to the FB page pls, so we could also look at the pics . Paint looks nice, the biggest problem with these is that they could never really cope with our heat. Even new cars/intact cars heated up, I wonder if the mechanicals will ever be upto the mark, sad but true. Credit to,the owner and restorer on the body and aesthetic effort.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 21:43   #114
BHPian
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 467 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Can you point us to the FB page pls, so we could also look at the pics . Paint looks nice, the biggest problem with these is that they could never really cope with our heat. Even new cars/intact cars heated up, I wonder if the mechanicals will ever be upto the mark, sad but true. Credit to,the owner and restorer on the body and aesthetic effort.
This is the only pic in the album. All other pics have been deleted for reasons best known to him!

Paint quality is top notch. They have a paint booth and some very expensive paint guns. The workshop is run by 2 brothers and from what i hear, one of them personally painted this car.

You are spot on with regards to the overheating issue- This baby overheats in a matter of minutes. Im not aware of the current situation of the motor though. They were faced with a LOT of issues during this restoration and had to go the jugaad way with some of them. Its been spotted just a handful of times. Also, the tyres are the old ones that the car came with(equipped with cracks et all).

Cheers!

Last edited by james : 8th June 2013 at 21:45.
james is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 21:54   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
This is the only pic in the album. All other pics have been deleted for reasons best known to him!

Paint quality is top notch. They have a paint booth and some very expensive paint guns. The workshop is run by 2 brothers and from what i hear, one of them personally painted this car.

You are spot on with regards to the overheating issue- This baby overheats in a matter of minutes. Im not aware of the current situation of the motor though. They were faced with a LOT of issues during this restoration and had to go the jugaad way with some of them. Its been spotted just a handful of times. Also, the tyres are the old ones that the car came with(equipped with cracks et all).

Cheers!
Sounds like good from far, far from good resto, common approach I see the only thing improved over the years is the paint work as we get better material, and skilled paint labor being more available. I wonder what they will do NOW! Are the papers on the car even straight? I know this car and she was part of a stock lot that got confiscated years ago. I saw her in her prime circulating amongst dealers in the 80's, when the lot was confiscated by DRI and thats when she disappeared went underground.
.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 23:04   #116
BHPian
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 467 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Are the papers on the car even straight?.
Im sorry but my knowledge is limited only to how the car looks and runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I know this car and she was part of a stock lot that got confiscated years ago. I saw her in her prime circulating amongst dealers in the 80's, when the lot was confiscated by DRI and thats when she disappeared went underground.
.
Wow thats quite an interesting bit of history on the car.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 15:20   #117
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Well, cars confiscated do get auctioned off if the owners don't retrieve them. And condition of such cars often deteriorates. If only customs authorities all over India had kept confiscated cars properly, they would have earned much more revenue for the government. Confiscated or held back cars were often vandalised.

Maintaining a Ferrari is not a joke. There is a 308 in Mumbai up and running very well. One must just speak to the owner about maintainance. There are not many skilled enough to work on such a car, and those having the skills must know when and which parts to import and replace, PERIODICALLY. Then the car will run properly for ever. Jugaad just will not do in the longer run (beyond 5 minutes).

I do not know who is restoring this car, if someone wants to get in touch with a person maintaining such a Ferrari please send a PM to me. All can see that efforts have been made on this car, apparently a little bit more than cosmetics needs to be done.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 22:59   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

The Bombay 308 has heating problems as well, I suppose it is the Indian heat. For that matter in a recent piece a current gen lambo owner too went on record saying his car heats up often. Also the R8 that caught fire, reckon the same v10 in both got me thinking, surprised, and wondering if any of these super cars will last through even a single road trip in India, so much for genuine super car dreams
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 11:51   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
The Bombay 308 has heating problems as well, I suppose it is the Indian heat. For that matter in a recent piece a current gen lambo owner too went on record saying his car heats up often. Also the R8 that caught fire, reckon the same v10 in both got me thinking, surprised, and wondering if any of these super cars will last through even a single road trip in India, so much for genuine super car dreams
The 308 that you speak off did the last long distance drive with no trouble at all as per the reports. The Lamborghini owner that you speak off is a V12 and will over heat in stop go conditions as would any other v12. The time was peak heat when it happened. I am sure you are aware that V12's need loads of air and open or semi open roads to perform well. Coming to the R8 that caught fire was due to bad maintainance and the owner driving the car on its limit and like a lunetic. The owner was warned of oil dripping and smoke being emited but he ignored the warnings and sped off, just to have his car toasted on the other side of the sea link. As per your wondering if a supercar can last through a single road trip in India..Ferrari has done it with the 612's. A friend has done half the country in his porsche. Someone i know via a friend has taken his SL upto Leh, crazy but true. You dont see many supercars touring the Country is due to the lack of infrastructure in the form of proper roads and availability of high octane fuel everywhere. Buy a Ferrari California, Bentley GT or a Maseratti and one can tour the Country with ease.

Last edited by speedy : 11th June 2013 at 11:55.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:23   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The 308 that you speak off did the last long distance drive with no trouble at all as per the reports. The Lamborghini owner that you speak off is a V12 and will over heat in stop go conditions as would any other v12. The time was peak heat when it happened. I am sure you are aware that V12's need loads of air and open or semi open roads to perform well. Coming to the R8 that caught fire was due to bad maintainance and the owner driving the car on its limit and like a lunetic. The owner was warned of oil dripping and smoke being emited but he ignored the warnings and sped off, just to have his car toasted on the other side of the sea link. As per your wondering if a supercar can last through a single road trip in India..Ferrari has done it with the 612's. A friend has done half the country in his porsche. Someone i know via a friend has taken his SL upto Leh, crazy but true. You dont see many supercars touring the Country is due to the lack of infrastructure in the form of proper roads and availability of high octane fuel everywhere. Buy a Ferrari California, Bentley GT or a Maseratti and one can tour the Country with ease.
Most of the cars you are quoting seem to be front engine water cooled. I am talking more the rear and mid engine variety, which you say heat up in traffic Can you share if any of your mid and or rear engined car friends have indeed done road trips. The porsche you are talking about is a air cooled 911? or a front engined water cooled variety?
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts laluks Travelogues 580 6th November 2017 16:16
The hidden paradise with splendid beauty and sparkling lakes Western Arunachal PointZero Travelogues 51 11th December 2016 23:02
Photologue: BMW Classic Museum. Many unseen Beauties Maverick5490 The International Automotive Scene 23 2nd January 2014 15:45
OHC OE Fog Lamps: Hidden treasure or Hidden trash? ankitahuja Modifications & Accessories 38 7th November 2012 00:04
Unseen Idukki-How I got out of my armchair WhiteKnight Travelogues 27 29th August 2008 10:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks