Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 12:48   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Most of the cars you are quoting seem to be front engine water cooled. I am talking more the rear and mid engine variety, which you say heat up in traffic Can you share if any of your mid and or rear engined car friends have indeed done road trips. The porsche you are talking about is a air cooled 911? or a front engined water cooled variety?
Please be more specific hence forth as the cars i have mentioned are also supercars. The engine placement or their being air cooled or water cooled does not change their Status in the car world.

I believe a Lamborghini is a mid engined car..and the Aventador is a v12. The front engined 599 also heats up in traffic.

The 458, F430, Lp 560-4, porsche 991 have all done road trips..these are mid and rear engined cars. A supercar even with the engine mounted in front (Ferrari 612) is still a supercar. I suggest you should look it up instead of just making posts for arguement sake.

The Porsche is a 2012 911 carrera S water cooled.

Anyways we have gone offtopic from this thread topic, so i suggest we leave it here or take it via PM.

Last edited by speedy : 11th June 2013 at 12:53.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:56   #122
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Most of the cars you are quoting seem to be front engine water cooled. I am talking more the rear and mid engine variety, which you say heat up in traffic Can you share if any of your mid and or rear engined car friends have indeed done road trips. The porsche you are talking about is a air cooled 911? or a front engined water cooled variety?
Heat is certainly a factor, but I don't think it's that significant a variable. If sports cars and supercars can be driven around in Dubai, I'm sure they can tolerate the subcontinent's tropical heat. The problem is indeed poor fuel and infrastructure. Even these factors are being addressed because the politicos have to drive their supercars somewhere.

Oh, and I've never heard of a front-engines watercooled 911. unless you were referring to 928, 924, 968?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th June 2013 at 12:58.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:59   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Heat is certainly a factor, but I don't think it's that significant a variable. If sports cars and supercars can be driven around in Dubai, I'm sure they can tolerate the subcontinent's tropical heat. The problem is indeed poor fuel and infrastructure. Even these factors are being addressed because the politicos have to drive their supercars somewhere.

Oh, and I've never heard of a front-engines watercooled 911. unless you were referring to 928, 924, 968?
Yup suhaas referring to 928/924 etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Please be more specific hence forth as the cars i have mentioned are also supercars. The engine placement or their being air cooled or water cooled does not change their Status in the car world.

I believe a Lamborghini is a mid engined car..and the Aventador is a v12. The front engined 599 also heats up in traffic.

The 458, F430, Lp 560-4, porsche 991 have all done road trips..these are mid and rear engined cars. A supercar even with the engine mounted in front (Ferrari 612) is still a supercar. I suggest you should look it up instead of just making posts for arguement sake.

The Porsche is a 2012 911 carrera S water cooled.

Anyways we have gone offtopic from this thread topic, so i suggest we leave it here or take it via PM.
Speedy READ my post FIRST CAREFULLY before dishing out advice, I have asked a question and not made any statements of finality regarding super cars Seems you got of the wrong side of your bed today so lets leave it at that

The mumbai 308 has been captured on tbhp with its hood raised in several shots on one of its documented outings

Suhaas I too thought about Dubai coincidently and perhaps you right as in our infrastructure etc, but Dubai has traffic jams as well, so getting stuck in the traffic cannot be avoided these days wherever one goes. Could it also be that we have humidity in Mumbai which together with heat may be the reason I keep hearing of these instances of overheating in Mumbai over the years

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th June 2013 at 13:22. Reason: please avoid posting consecutively. use the EDIT and MULTI QUOTE buttons henceforth :)
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 13:21   #124
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post

The mumbai 308 has been captured on tbhp with its hood raised in several shots on one of its documented outings

Suhaas I too thought about Dubai coincidently and perhaps you right as in our infrastructure etc, but Dubai has traffic jams as well, so getting stuck in the traffic cannot be avoided these days wherever one goes. Could it also be that we have humidity in Mumbai which together with heat may be the reason I keep hearing of these instances of overheating in Mumbai over the years
Good point. Yes the humidity can be be an issue. But other than corroding the bodywork and metal (rust) in the long run, I can't think of any other reason why the conditions would be comparatively more unfavourable for supercars. Dubai has its fair share of issues other than the blistering heat. Sand storms strike the city often and this does affect cars in the long run, perhaps not in the same way as humidity, but the long term effects can be seen on the rubber parts and engine components. (yes, I've been watching Wheeler Dealers - Trading Up ) Mumbai may be a tad worse because of the concrete roads that eat away the tyres.

It's also worth noting that Mumbai is probably 10 times the size of Dubai and has a much larger road network. Commuting from one part of Mumbai to another will be like a Dubai - Abu Dhabi round-trip.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th June 2013 at 13:27.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 02:23   #125
BHPian
 
Joxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mechelen, BE
Posts: 265
Thanked: 329 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
For that matter in a recent piece a current gen lambo owner too went on record saying his car heats up often. Also the R8 that caught fire, reckon the same v10 in both got me thinking, surprised, and wondering if any of these super cars will last through even a single road trip in India, so much for genuine super car dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Coming to the R8 that caught fire was due to bad maintainance and the owner driving the car on its limit and like a lunetic. The owner was warned of oil dripping and smoke being emited but he ignored the warnings and sped off, just to have his car toasted on the other side of the sea link.
I know I'm late in posting this, but I couldn't help but notice that Canonball has gotten it wrong in stating that the Audi R8 that went up in flames had a Lamborghini engine. It was an Audi R8 V8 and not a V10 which got toasted. Picture and link to the thread below for your reference. And I agree with Speedy here in thinking that the car catching fire would definitely be due to the owner ignoring all warning signals from his car just to show-off to the crowd .

Would also like to add that any highly tuned engine, be it car or bike, would overheat if pushed hard to the limit, or stuck in traffic due to the lack of free airflow. Heck, even my KTM Duke 200 heats up in traffic jams or crawling traffic . It only cools once I start moving faster

Thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...re-mumbai.html
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Joxster : 12th June 2013 at 02:24. Reason: Grammar mistake
Joxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 18:22   #126
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,954
Thanked: 2,724 Times
Default Re: The Hidden and Unseen Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
The Bombay 308 has heating problems as well, I suppose it is the Indian heat.............
The Mumbai 308 did not have a heating problem during the Mahableshwar run. Some rubber part gave a problem, a part was got and fitted or something. This happened on the expressway. It was not serious, will have to make a few calls to find out exactly what had happened, if that is important. The car came the ghats at Mahableshwar beautifully, no over heating at all. That, for me says it all. Sanghi motors had done the job very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The 308 that you speak off did the last long distance drive with no trouble at all as per the reports. The Lamborghini owner that you speak off is a V12 ......... Coming to the R8 that caught fire.........
It is true that V-12 engined cars can give overheating trouble. Dubash Ferrari was front engined, and he could never go fast enough. They got fedup almost immediately when the car was new because they could hardly even use the third gear, traffic was too slow. That time Mumbai had Ambys and Fiats, max possible city was maybe around 40KMPH.
Talking about rear engined cars, no need to go to Supercars with big engines. VW's, beetles and vans, have been catching fire. Basically it always boiled down to proper maintainance, proper settings, and having proper parts in place including the rubber and proper fuel lines. And coming back to that super looking Ferrari 308 with lovely paint, the engine will need attention as much as was given to the body. You must import engine tune up parts, belts etc. Then that car will run well.
Those who owned expensive foreign cars up to the 1980 or more got them maintained by Shetna, Swadi, Garware etc. These folks had manuals and trained mechanics, use genuine spares and the cars ran reliable over a long time. There were others who went to compounds, like David's, D'Souza, Apte, Sun Mill etc where small workshops did jugaad. They never had manuals, worked by instinct and ruined many automatic gearboxes and used parts of questionable origin. The reason why people went to these smaller garages was the lower cost. Ofcourse not all cars were ruined.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 12th June 2013 at 18:25.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts laluks Travelogues 580 6th November 2017 16:16
The hidden paradise with splendid beauty and sparkling lakes Western Arunachal PointZero Travelogues 51 11th December 2016 23:02
Photologue: BMW Classic Museum. Many unseen Beauties Maverick5490 The International Automotive Scene 23 2nd January 2014 15:45
OHC OE Fog Lamps: Hidden treasure or Hidden trash? ankitahuja Modifications & Accessories 38 7th November 2012 00:04
Unseen Idukki-How I got out of my armchair WhiteKnight Travelogues 27 29th August 2008 10:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks