Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 15th May 2011, 08:50   #1
BHPian

Smile Which Superbike to buy?

Hi guys.
Have seen a number of threads on similar topics and here I am now contemplating on purchasing a SBK.
Briefly about myself, I have owned a couple of SBKs in the past, the last one being the Honda VFR 800 Fi (which is incidentally the first SBK in the Superbikes spotted in India Thread ).
I have had a look at a few of the offerings and so far am leaning towards the Honda CB1000R.
The hefty price of 10.8 on road to pay for a strictly leisure machine which will be unused for half the year (I am a sailor) is however holding me back and to be honest am still hoping to find a good 2nd hand bike in Pune or Mumbai with clean papers. (Am looking for a Honda F4i / Blackbird).

Cheers.
plimsollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 11:18   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Which Superbike to buy?

Just for the record, the VFR series has been more in the sport touring category than superbike category.

The 1000RR, blackbird and the F4i are all very different machines. So, would be helpful to understand how you plan to use the bike - spirited riding, touring, track days etc.

Just trying to help..

Krishna
ksanjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 12:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post
Just for the record, the VFR series has been more in the sport touring category than superbike category.

The 1000RR, blackbird and the F4i are all very different machines. So, would be helpful to understand how you plan to use the bike - spirited riding, touring, track days etc.

Just trying to help..

Krishna
Hi Krishna,

To be honest with the overall slim pickings and forbidding costs I cant be too choosy. I am however not looking at the 1000RR, you probably read my post incorrectly, I was looking at the CB1000R. The Blackbird and F4i are just wishful thinking on my part that I should get a clean bike with clean papers 2nd hand !
I am 6'2" tall and big sized hence most bikes are too small for comfortable riding. I had a feel of the Ducati Monster (one of the 'cheaper' options today) and found the riding position for my size to be uncomfortable.
In a nutshell, I want a bike for some leisure riding but with a sporty feel to it and one which I could easily do a long distance weekend trip if I wish !
Old 15th May 2011, 14:21   #4
BHPian

Sorry...I did not read the letters properly..a world of difference it makes however.

There are several aftermarket vendors that make adjustable rearsets for monsters - Sato Racing and Rizoma are popular -

SATO RACING | DUCATI Monster 696 (-'09) Rear Sets take a look. You can write to them and ask them for suggestion for a 6' 2" rider.

I have designed rearsets for 748/1098 series and an inch of adjustability makes all the difference.

Now the smaller (or any) Monster is nowhere near a black bird or the 1000 in performance but will be hell of a lot of fun to ride on longer trips.

F4i is not big either.

-Krishna
ksanjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 16:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsollmark View Post
I have had a look at a few of the offerings and so far am leaning towards the Honda CB1000R.
The hefty price of 10.8 on road to pay for a strictly leisure machine which will be unused for half the year (I am a sailor) is however holding me back.
Not much of a saving really, but an obvious option would the the Yamaha FZ1, something I highly recommend for the price point you are looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsollmark View Post
To be honest am still hoping to find a good 2nd hand bike in Pune or Mumbai with clean papers. (Am looking for a Honda F4i / Blackbird).

Cheers.
BEST OF LUCK! You are going to need a lot of that whilst looking out for a well kept used superbike in India with clean papers.
A clean papers 600 cc is almost impossible to find here because the government policy prohibits import of sub 800 cc motorcycles. The only examples you will find if any would be the ones brought down on transfer of residence. The F4i being a universal favourite through all age groups gets just a few shades more difficult to come across.
Now, coming to the larger bikes (liter class of hyper sports), realistically speaking you would at best find a 2003-2004 example in the range of 6L odd, give-take 50K depending on condition and history of the bike.
Infact it gets a little more difficult to find a Blackbird or a ZX 11 because owners of these bikes (mostly the older lot) usually know their machines and are not impulsive. They are mostly very reluctant to let go of them, let alone letting go for a discount. To give you an idea, I personally know of someone who was offered 6L for his 2001 Blackbird and he simply wasn't interested.
If I were you, I'd ascertain a maximum spend on a used bike first and then compare it to buying a spanking new CB 1000R or an FZ1.
manson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 00:24   #6
BHPian

plimsollmark : There is one ZX-9R and a ZX12R that I know of that are fully legal and well kept, both around half the cost of the CB1000R. For eg..

However, if you are looking for something new, I would look at the Bandit. I somehow found the CB1000R and the FZ1 a bit too docile. They lack that special something (zing?) which a good ol Zook or Kwacker brings to the table.

To get you started, check this out was just browsing for good nakeds (pun unintended) when I read your post! : Buy used Suzuki Bandit 1250S in Pune, Maharashtra . Bike Id is 49653 - Bikes4Sale.in

By the way, the Bandit retails for 8.8 ex showroom which for a somewhat lesser price than the competition gets you "bigger mill" bragging rights and a proven performer with outstanding sporty capabilities for something its size.

Plus if you pick it up, you can feel free to drop it over at my place while you're at sea (again pun unintended) so I can take care of the naked beauty (god these puns!! must stop!!)
DevilsOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 08:49   #7
BHPian

Manson: Thanks for your feedback and advise. I know how difficult it actually is to get a clean blackbird and even more so, the F4i, but doesnt hurt to dream ! I have already finished 4 weeks out of my scheduled 8 weeks vacation and soon approaching the point where I have to pause my quest for another 8 weeks till I get back next time. A maximum spend on a used bike would be about 5L in my opinion. You didnt mention the Bandit alongside the FZ1. Any reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
plimsollmark : There is one ZX-9R and a ZX12R that I know of that are fully legal and well kept, both around half the cost of the CB1000R. For eg..
DevilsOwn: Do PM me with the details of the kwackers that you mention in your post. I have a friend in Bangalore (if the bikes are there) who, although a 4 x 4 enthusiast will definitely take a look for me. Meantime shall take a closer look at the Bandit since she is in Pune itself !

Cheers

Last edited by manson : 17th May 2011 at 18:40. Reason: Kindly do not quote full length posts.
Old 17th May 2011, 09:55   #8
BHPian

plimsollmark: The 9R is in lucknow if I recall correctly, will ask for details, the 12R am buying in fact I joined this forum hoping to meet someone with a 12R/10R for sale...

You cant go wrong with the Bandit, arguably the best hooligan bike of the 90s, enormous torque as low as 4000 rpm, doesnt get better than that. As for your question regarding the FZ1 in comparison, it likes to be revved, takes some doing for the power to kick in and peak out, which is not really such a good thing on road going nakeds, the first gear is too tall too. Although some prefer that style of delivery, just dont expect to be the first of a traffic light unless you launch it right (and have a spare set of clutch plates!). Lastly, it doesnt handle bumpy roads well. Stiffer upper lip than the queen.

To put it simply, Suzuki is serious about the Bandit, its not just a "detuned" version of their excess litre mills from the Gixxer 1000 like the rest of the Jap 4s are bandying around. So what you get, is something which was designed keeping a lot of things in mind than just lets build a naked out of the same block and see if it sells policy of the others!
Old 18th May 2011, 00:20   #9
BHPian

@plimsollmark: Although I dont promote the Bandit and I don't agree to what DevilOwn has to say , if you are still looking for a Bandit , there is one for sale.

For 30k more , I will always get the Fz1. If I am a Honda fan , then a cb1000r. I wouldnt even shy away from the Ducati monster 796. All are better than a Bandit.

Send me a private message and I will give you the details. Oct2010 model , black , 1500 kms done , VIP number.

P.S. visit my fz1 thread to know more about the bike -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ip-thread.html
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 01:02   #10
BHPian

Niks: It is good to disagree with someone however there has to be a certain logic to it. I urge you to please consider some reading during your spare time and check out the history of the Bandit, and compare it to the FZ1 as a naked road going sport bike.

What you arent probably aware of is that your bike has a faulty injection, it accelerates in a jerk when you blip the throttle back on after declutching, which is fine, but try that in a corner and it is not the best thing ever. The suspension is too stiff to soak in the potholes which our roads are endowed with. (By the way, if you think these are my personal views, let me state that this is an industry fact accepted and acknowledged by journalists the world over, the Bandit, does NOT have either of these flaws).

Owning a machine does not make it better than the rest, it is the machine itself when compared to the rest which becomes MARGINALLY better. Marginally being the key word here because at the end of the day its the riders preference, some like it to rev high, some want instant gratification. And note, I have a lot of friends who enjoy the high-free revving nature of the FZ1 and are ok with the suspension considering they stick to the highways.

For eg. I could tell you that someone looking for a naked bike would look for torque and instant acceleration which the Bandit offers with a peak around 4000rpm rather than wait for 7000rpm which the competition offers even though they have 25 odd hp extra.

If you think my views are in some way biased, here is a sample review (there are more) which may enlighten you, note, it is the current Kwacker Z1000 which is supposed to be the buzz word (time will tell), and not the Bandit. And that is inside information which am privy to being an auto journalist.

Suzuki Bandit 1250S - Motorcyclist Magazine

And by the way, any motorcycle afficianado worth his salt knows the Bandit, there's a reason for its well deserved fame regardless if its bikini faired dodgy looks (although the non S version it does come without it).

Does it mean the FZ1 is a bad bike or a bad choice? No, it just means that the Bandit offers something different, just as the FZ1 offers something different. And in the real world, I have always found better torque curves to be a boon.

But when you say that the FZ1, CB1000R, Ducati 796 (what is this even doing here, its a different category altogether!) are ALL BETTER than that Bandit, you are giving an opportunity for people to question your basic knowledge about motorcycle models, their lineage and their abilities.

If they were indeed ALL better, the Bandit wouldnt be the bike of choice of wheelie schools around the world, or be reverred as a hooligan bike, or be used by afmed stunt riders across the globe.

plimsollmark: I urge you to take a test ride of both machines and decide for yourself because as is obvious, one cannot always get objective fact based information from an online forum. If you enjoy the free revving nature of the FZ1, pick it up and get the suspension corrected and fuel injection sorted, it will put a smile on your face everyday, if you're looking for that feeling in the guts, the Bandit is the one. All the best!
Old 18th May 2011, 01:11   #11
BHPian

@devilown : The problem was rectified from 07 model onwards . the suspension is good for potholed roads too.

Btw , you lost me after 2nd para. Its not the first time I have found people who google and post info. The article you posted is from 07 ... then and there all discussion ends.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2011 at 14:24. Reason: Keep things polite on this forum
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 02:02   #12
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2011 at 14:25.
DevilsOwn is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 18th May 2011, 04:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Relax Guys, Lets put out yours suggestions to OP as per your knowledge, you don't need to put down others suggestions

Having said that, I must say that Bandit certainly has its plus points as sports Tourer which means that it will behave well in city too.

The FZ1 on other hand its brawny looks and a high revving engine which many enthusiasts like.

So its up to plimsollmark to decide what suits his riding style & of-course the budget
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 07:18   #14
BANNED

@plimsollmark,

Hi there. I would like to recommend to you the Honda CB1000R from personal experience.

I have not test rode, nor even seen up close other than pictures of the competition, so I cannot compare.

I have a similar work schedule to yours, and from my 1.5 years/10xxx km ownership experience, I have not had any trouble yet with off/on usage.

Always starts at the first crank after over a month of storage, not much bodywork, so easy to clean after storage (cobwebs, etc), get regularly scheduled maintenance through HMSI techs at a reasonable cost, great fun for city as well as long distance riding (Would rate it best for short trips, not exactly cross country), runs on 91+ fuel, easily available everywhere.

I would recommend you visit the Honda Wing World in Saki Naka, Mumbai.

Some of the drawbacks:
European market bike, introduced in the US only in 2011, so accessories and parts are not as easily available online (yet) as compared to say, an R1.
Detuned for low end torque 2007 Fireblade engine, though is loads of fun, eats up the 180/55/17 rear tires pretty quick if you like to give it joy. I need to replace the 2nd rear since new in about 1k kms.

Honda might cost a little more, but in my opinion, it is worth every Rupee.

Whatever you decide to get, Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 08:34   #15
BHPian

Niks devil666 , Devils Own, your feedback and opinions are great, since I am due to get back to dea in 4 weeks, am going to hold out for a couple of months more for a 2nd hand bike as have spread the word, if nothing good comes up, when I come back next time, I intend to buy a brand new one !
@gthang, I agree, you cant go wrong with a Honda, but having already experienced a variety of Honda Bikes (see my signature) I want to explore more options !