Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2011, 21:22   #1

Default Importing a motorcycle for temporary use

Hey,

Did a quick search but couldnt find any threads on this, so here goes..

Has anyone had any experience/info on bringing in a motorcycle from overseas for the purpose of riding around India for a few months, and then taking it back when leaving the country.

Thanks,
Hans
Old 28th May 2011, 00:21   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Importing a motorcycle for temporary use

Yes, I imported my BMW R1200GS on a temporary carnet to india during the end of 2010 and did a fabulous trip. The carnet procedure is not too complicated provided your designated clearing agent in India knows his job. If you plan to ship it by sea, my clearing agent in Cochin seaport is really good at it. If you are shipping by air, I can search out a german rider who shipped his 1200GS Adv to Delhi and cleared it from there.

The general details for Carnet import to India are mentioned in my below link on another forum (my ride report is also at the bottom of this link in my signature).

Renewing a Carnet - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 10:27   #3

Thanks Haroon. This is exactly what I wanted

I'm stilling thinking over whether to do this or not - a ride around parts of India sounds alluring to me. The bike Im bringing over is a Street Triple R..just worried about possibility of running out of spares etc

Hans
Old 28th May 2011, 17:45   #4
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2011 at 13:36.
Old 28th May 2011, 21:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdus001 View Post
Thanks Haroon. This is exactly what I wanted

I'm stilling thinking over whether to do this or not - a ride around parts of India sounds alluring to me. The bike Im bringing over is a Street Triple R..just worried about possibility of running out of spares etc

Hans
Hans, quite a few mechanics in the major metros like, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, bangalore etc are familiar with the inline 4s from japan. I am sure they can work on Triumphs also, however, spare parts etc will just not be available for your Triumph.

Sure touring on your own bike is much more fun, but if you want to rent a bike (No, Royal Enfield is not the only option!), an outfit in bangalore also does tour packages with their Suzuki DR650, here is their link (indiMotard adventures - motorcycle experiences, india and beyond!).

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2011 at 13:37. Reason: Second quoted post has been deleted
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 11:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

Two similar threads :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...3-lhd-bmw.html (Importing a '73 LHD BMW?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ring-back.html (I want to take a bike abroad for a trip and bring it back.)

cya
R
Closed Thread