Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 26th July 2011, 09:33   #106
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

A few pics which Aditya clicked during one of our rides. Had almost forgotten about them.

Thanks Aditya!
Attached Images

JVH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 10:40   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
A few pics which Aditya clicked during one of our rides. Had almost forgotten about them.
Nice Snaps Jayant,

@ Aditya,
Which is the camera you use for taking snaps? Bridge or DSLR
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 12:33   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
@ Aditya, Which is the camera you use for taking snaps? Bridge or DSLR
Nothing fancy Mahesh, I use a plain jane point and shoot Canon 7.1 mp digicam. That explains why the pics are so grainy.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 13:03   #109
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Default 1st Service report

After a small ride in the morning yesterday, went to the showroom/service center to get the first service done. The ODO read 1013kms after 2 months.

The total damage was Rs. 6,615 and below is the split

Engine oil (Shell Ultra 4T Helix - 3 litres) - Rs. 2,265
Oil Filter - Rs. 1,000
DDS upgrade (Diagnostic check-up) - Rs. 1,200
Washing and Waxing - Rs. 150
Labour - Rs. 2,000

The job was done too slowly to my liking and in the end I was getting a bit frustrated. They had promised the bike to be ready by 2.30pm and it was handed over by 3.45pm. I gave this feedback to the manager. Though the boys do the job cleanly, they need to be faster and more organized. The 1st service should hardly be more than 2 hours IMO while this one took nearly 4.5 hours.

And I'm delighted to say the least after the engine oil and filter change. The pick-up has become much smoother. Now I can revv up to 7k rpm . In the filter and even on the periphery of the threads of the locking nut, I could feel the small metal chips as a result of the run-in.

The guys were helpful in answering numerous questions which I was firing away during the service and must they are pretty passionate about these bikes too. If only they were quicker :-). The next service is due at 12000 kms. But I will be planning to get the oil and filter change done at 7000 kms. Air filter cleaning every 2500 kms and chain tightening and lubing after every 500 kms. The dealer concurs to my schedule.

The mileage returned was averaging at 15 kmpl which is below the quoted reference of 18kmpl.

BTW, there was a white monster 796 which had trouble getting started. It was diagonized right infront of me. They first emptied the fuel and collected in litre bottle. And you know what, there was a clear transparent portion right at the bottom of the bottle...say 70% fuel and 30% water. Wow! And this was Speed 97 filled at Sadashivnagar Bashyam circle where I regularly fill up. Grrrrrr so much for the these BPCL outlets. We pay 85/litre and they are giving water in return.

OK, now some pics from the ride and the service bay
Attached Thumbnails
Ducati Monster 796 ownership-img00514201108061329.jpg  

Ducati Monster 796 ownership-img00521201108061342.jpg  

Ducati Monster 796 ownership-img00524201108061346.jpg  

Ducati Monster 796 ownership-img00525201108061346.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by JVH : 7th August 2011 at 13:08.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 13:33   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 1st Service report

Quote:
And you know what, there was a clear transparent portion right at the bottom of the bottle...say 70% fuel and 30% water. Wow! And this was Speed 97 filled at Sadashivnagar Bashyam circle where I regularly fill up. Grrrrrr so much for the these BPCL outlets. We pay 85/litre and they are giving water in return.
Not excusable at all. I am filling up with Speed 93 and the there is jerkiness/snatchiness at low revs when engine is cold.

And your helmet is sick, it appears retro yet modern. Kudos for your choice
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 19:03   #111
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The helmet is really really good. Very well ventilated and light at 1350gms. Thanks!

Its a sad state of affairs on fuel in this country. I initially thought the owner might have filled somewhere in the countryside but the fuel station name was a shock to me. I don't have the confidence to go there anymore . The owner was taking taking pictures and I hope he takes some action. The dealer and I were discussing the hardships faced by the bikers in general inspite of spending lacs...bad infrastructure, bad riding/driving discipline, bad fuel and what not :-(
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 20:12   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DDS upgrade (Diagnostic check-up) - Rs. 1,200
Labour - Rs. 2,000

They first emptied the fuel and collected in litre bottle. And you know what, there was a clear transparent portion right at the bottom of the bottle...say 70% fuel and 30% water. Wow! And this was Speed 97 filled at Sadashivnagar Bashyam circle where I regularly fill up.
Jayant,
Nice reading your service stop, was unsure on the difference between Diagnostic Check-up & Labour? Thought both of them should be packaged as one

Wow hair raising incident to read your story on the other white monster, do keep up posted on what the owner plans to do against the bunk. Would he take any legal action against the bunk?

Also what are the parts that have been damaged due to this mishap? Suspect the injector/head to be prime components that might be affected. Do keep us posted on the developments on this.

4 1/2 hours is okies considering the fact that you have got it done to your satisfaction
Old 8th August 2011, 00:53   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

I would sincerely request Ducati dealership along with the blokes who were present during the time when tank was emptied to file a complaint at the highest BPCL authority they can.

We can't be taken for a ride like this. We are charged every paisa, we go over to get the finest and despite this, what do we get in return...? Its time they are punished.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 09:22   #114
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
was unsure on the difference between Diagnostic Check-up & Labour? Thought both of them should be packaged as one
Labour charges are charged for oil change, filter replacement, chain tightening, cleaning and lubricating, washing and waxing, air filter cleaning and rubbing and polishing.

While the DDS upgrade is just a software upgrade telling the ECU that this fella has been ridden for 1000 kms, he can now rev upto 7k rpm and his next service schedule is at 12k kms. Through this, the DDS also checks for any errors on the various systems both electronic or mechanical. Hope this answers your question.

Quote:

Wow hair raising incident to read your story on the other white monster, do keep up posted on what the owner plans to do against the bunk. Would he take any legal action against the bunk?

Also what are the parts that have been damaged due to this mishap? Suspect the injector/head to be prime components that might be affected. Do keep us posted on the developments on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I would sincerely request Ducati dealership along with the blokes who were present during the time when tank was emptied to file a complaint at the highest BPCL authority they can.

We can't be taken for a ride like this. We are charged every paisa, we go over to get the finest and despite this, what do we get in return...? Its time they are punished.
I did not check with the owner upto what level he's going to escalate but he was understandably serious about the incident. I think he intends to take action, legally or not (was from an influential family...some MLA and had several jap bikes as well). And thankfully, there was no damage at all. The dealer was smart enough to identify the root cause as bad fuel on the first attempt and promptly emptied the tank. I did not keep up with them as to what they did later since I was busy with my own bike but l know for sure that it was tanked by Shell Super, started in one go and test ridden to find out no problems whatsoever. It was even checked using DDS as well. I'll keep posted if I get any updates on the same. Will also try to get pictures of the bottle.

@Sheel - The dealer is ready to provide all the support to the owner through facts and data. The owner just has to take the initiative and hopefully he does.

Quote:
4 1/2 hours is okies considering the fact that you have got it done to your satisfaction
C'mon Mahesh, it was just routine. No way the double time is justifiable
Old 8th August 2011, 11:58   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Well the reasoning that the bunk guys would give is "Saar..we're actually making your bikes hybrid by mixing water with petrol ".

On a more serious note,it is sad to know what a common man has to go through to pay for the precious fuel.When they can do these sort of things for Speed97 which retails at Rs 85/liter,just imagine what they could do with the normal petrol.
Porschefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 12:50   #116
BHPian

Quote:
And this was Speed 97 filled at Sadashivnagar Bashyam circle where I regularly fill up.
What is the recommended fuel for your bike?

Does Shell supply the required variant, if yes - I think that is one safe bet.
salunkhe.vizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 13:04   #117
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
When they can do these sort of things for Speed97 which retails at Rs 85/liter,just imagine what they could do with the normal petrol.
Sadly, fleecing money is sort of a given nowadays and the criminals go to any length. No different in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
What is the recommended fuel for your bike?
95 Octane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Does Shell supply the required variant, if yes - I think that is one safe bet.
Nope. Shell serves 91 octane. Most of the owners I know are filling the super shell variant without problems though.
Old 8th August 2011, 14:31   #118
Senior - BHPian

Jayant, just to be safe tank up at Nagpal's garage on residency road.

AFAIK, most SBK's and supercar's tank up here so the quality might not be compromised.

I hope the victim lodges a complaint with BPCL on the adulterated fuel from the sadashivanagar bunk.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 23:50   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While the DDS upgrade is just a software upgrade telling the ECU that this fella has been ridden for 1000 kms, he can now rev upto 7k rpm and his next service schedule is at 12k kms. Through this, the DDS also checks for any errors on the various systems both electronic or mechanical. Hope this answers your question.

C'mon Mahesh, it was just routine. No way the double time is justifiable
Jayant,
You got me more confused now, why would i pay the dealer to let them input a software upgrade that's gonna facilitate their understanding that the bike has done 1000 Kms. Would it mean that ECU will be having a different map compared to the running in period?

Well do understand on the timing part, but i would be more of chalta hai typo as long as the bike has been done neat; understand your requirements might be different
Old 9th August 2011, 11:38   #120
Senior - BHPian

Cool, am sure the bike will feel better once you had few more k of kms and few more services

On the fuel, this is something which i feel will be a hindrance, not only the bike wont ride great but also may do some damage...

btw on the helmet, why green????

Quote:
The helmet is really really good. Very well ventilated and light at 1350gms. Thanks!

Its a sad state of affairs on fuel in this country. I initially thought the owner might have filled somewhere in the countryside but the fuel station name was a shock to me. I don't have the confidence to go there anymore . The owner was taking taking pictures and I hope he takes some action. The dealer and I were discussing the hardships faced by the bikers in general inspite of spending lacs...bad infrastructure, bad riding/driving discipline, bad fuel and what not :-(
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote