Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 12:07   #121
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Jayant, just to be safe tank up at Nagpal's garage on residency road.
I had thought about that bunk itself for my next fill up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Jayant,
You got me more confused now, why would i pay the dealer to let them input a software upgrade that's gonna facilitate their understanding that the bike has done 1000 Kms. Would it mean that ECU will be having a different map compared to the running in period?
LoL! Its not for their understanding its an input fed to the bike's ECU for its understanding that this chap has undergone 1st service...please schedule the next one at 12000 kms and show a spanner sign on the LCD console. And like I said before, its also a diagnostic tool to check and rectify errors, if any. The dealer tells me that even the map is tuned and I just believed but frankly I don't know.

And don't the japs have this kind of diagnostic tool? I would also be interested to know the split for servicing the jap bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Cool, am sure the bike will feel better once you had few more k of kms and few more services

btw on the helmet, why green????
Haven't taken for a ride after the service. Was all prepared for this morning but couldn't wake up

And the helmet is not exactly green da...its a white-green-red combo. Main preference was a lighter colour for visibility and this was running a good deal. Checked with a friend in the US and sealed the deal. Ain't it nice?

BTW, sorry about that day...I owe you a call. Will do soon bro!
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 12:15   #122
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
please schedule the next one at 12000 kms and show a spanner sign on the LCD console.
And don't the japs have this kind of diagnostic tool? I would also be interested to know the split for servicing the jap bikes.
Lol probably will have a discussion with you when we catch up, unfortunately this weekend seems to be packed one with another major release due :( sigh this would mean 2 weekends on a trot.
Am too far away for the service able to manage her for only 70 odd kms which i could manage to do with the bit of sun shine this weekend. For sure will not take her out during the rains.

For sure will keep you posted on the service break up once i get to that stage.
Was planning to catch up with you this weekend but for the work huh!!!
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 13:30   #123
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Unleashing the Monster

Went for a short ride this morning and came back awed and slightly nervous. Awed because I was able to open the throttle a wee bit more given that the Monster just finished the 1st service and boy what an experience it was! Slotted the 1st gear and took it all the way to 8k rpm and I could see 75 kmph on the console and could hear and feel a big big roar. Like a tigerís roar. Slotted into 2nd and could just reach 120 kmph before I encountered the traffic and speed breakers and jaywalkers. Hope you get the gist of what was in store for the next set of gears. All my dear friends were right. Youíve got to open up the throttle of these machines to really enjoy the best of them. For everyday usage, 5-6k rpm will be more than sufficient to keep up with most of the fast cars but youíve got to see and experience what these machines are all about beyond that. Really!

On the route which I took, Monster smiled when it saw a few twisties but was not aware that the rider on it was not yet ready to tame them. The first corner had a large radius, its center towards my deep left followed by another on the right. No problems here. Then another set followed with a shorter radius and therein I missed the apex and braking went for a toss. I almost went into the bushes had it not been for the powerful brakes. I must have been doing around 70s. Wow! It was real scary. I took them again slowly and would have taken them again had it not drizzled. It was short and sweet and real fun! And as usual, thought today was just not enough and the Monster nodded vigorously.

P.S - Where are the damn twisties yaar in and around Bangalore? Nandi is always crowded

Last edited by JVH : 11th August 2011 at 13:32.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 15:53   #124
BHPian
 
sriramv.iyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 835
Thanked: 710 Times
Default Re: Unleashing the Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
s! Slotted the 1st gear and took it all the way to 8k rpm and I could see 75 kmph on the console and could hear and feel a big big roar. Like a tigerís roar. Slotted into 2nd and could just reach 120 kmph before I encountered the traffic and speed breakers and jaywalkers. Hope you get the gist of what was in store for the next set of gears. All my dear friends were right. Youíve got to open up the throttle of these machines to really enjoy the best of them.
Awesome! I have had my fair share of fun with ZMA after the first service - I can multiply with a large factor for Monster and imagine the fun you had!

Quote:
Then another set followed with a shorter radius and therein I missed the apex and braking went for a toss. I almost went into the bushes had it not been for the powerful brakes. I must have been doing around 70s. Wow! It was real scary.
Careful dude! You need to be healthy and fit to enjoy the monster. Take curves with care!

Quote:
P.S - Where are the damn twisties yaar in and around Bangalore? Nandi is always crowded
[/quote]
Let me know once you see them :-) - Btw, Ride to Devarayadurga - I enjoyed my ride to that temple...
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 16:56   #125
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Unleashing the Monster

Come down to Mangalore and you will find enuf twisties to test your skills
Magadi road is nice in early hours, the one which connects to kunigal..

btw take it easy dude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

P.S - Where are the damn twisties yaar in and around Bangalore? Nandi is always crowded
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 08:08   #126
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

Sriram, where are you man? Your missing the weekend rides :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

Careful dude! You need to be healthy and fit to enjoy the monster. Take curves with care!
I know. I was excited as a kid and that got the better of me. But this surely is an incentive to be fit and hit the gym ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

Let me know once you see them :-) - Btw, Ride to Devarayadurga - I enjoyed my ride to that temple...
Finding the twisties is like finding Atlantis. Yes the last ride was to DD but I couldn't make it there and turned back from Tumkur CCD itself. Aditya and the other folks did a lot cornerning though. Will try next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Come down to Mangalore and you will find enuf twisties to test your skills
Magadi road is nice in early hours, the one which connects to kunigal..

btw take it easy dude...
Mangy and the western ghats is a plan. A friend and I are planning to do. Its coming soon buddy...late Sep or 1st week of Oct .
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 08:20   #127
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Mangy and the western ghats is a plan. A friend and I are planning to do. Its coming soon buddy...late Sep or 1st week of Oct .
Jay,
Be careful heard that the roads to Mangy are all broken up, Should be ready to join you folks if there is room for me
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 09:58   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Yes the last ride was to DD but I couldn't make it there and turned back from Tumkur CCD itself. Aditya and the other folks did a lot cornerning though. Will try next time.
Glad you didn't have anything more than a scare Jayant. Slow-in fast-out

DD Hills are OK. Nothing to rave about. The wide sweeping corner at Nandi is the best by far in and around Blore. The curves on DD Hills are sharp and tight so you cant take them at good speeds.

Best option is to head to Ooty or to the track
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 08:55   #129
BHPian
 
sriramv.iyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 835
Thanked: 710 Times
Default Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Sriram, where are you man? Your missing the weekend rides :-)
I got some issue with the front fork being tight the day before you / Sammy / rbsan were planning to ride. I think it was a side-effect of first service. I got it fixed the next day - CBR250R is not an upgrade for me from R15. Planning to give it away and do some real upgrade - N650R may be (when they reopen the bookings) - I also did some upgrades on my R15 (Joel's Race Dynamics ECU, Big Bore Kit, High Lift Cam and Performance exhaust etc). R15 is in run-in again.. I'll join you guys once I am happy with my rides...


Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I know. I was excited as a kid and that got the better of me. But this surely is an incentive to be fit and hit the gym ;-)
I am seriously overweight dude - I was thinking the best way to increase power-to-weight ratio was to reduce my weight by 20 kgs


Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Slow-in fast-out
Learnt this the hard-way too! Nick Ienatsch's book is awesome. Should've gotten that before. But, nothing beats learning it on our own by first principles. (and a few falls!)


Quote:
DD Hills are OK. Nothing to rave about. The wide sweeping corner at Nandi is the best by far in and around Blore. The curves on DD Hills are sharp and tight so you cant take them at good speeds.
I agree - Lot of curves, but all are quite sharp. I have fun on the descent though. I work on exit speeds in the hebbal flyover -> kr puram exit. Not big, but good visibility, low traffic and a nice curve!
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:32   #130
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default FE Update

For those who are interested in the FE figures -

City --> 14~15 kmpl
Highways --> 19~20 kmpl

This is after 1600kms.

Am getting a paddock stand from the dealer for 10.5K. Has a few scratches and it belonged to a customer who sold off his bike. The original costs 17K. Do you think its a good deal?
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:34   #131
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH
For those who are interested in the FE figures -

City --> 14~15 kmpl
Highways --> 19~20 kmpl

This is after 1600kms.

Am getting a paddock stand from the dealer for 10.5K. Has a few scratches and it belonged to a customer who sold off his bike. The original costs 17K. Do you think its a good deal?
Nice healthy average
if the structural rigidity of the stand is intact then it's a great buy, it's a functional piece so it should not matter if it's second hand. I say go for it.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:12   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: FE Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Am getting a paddock stand from the dealer for 10.5K. Has a few scratches and it belonged to a customer who sold off his bike. The original costs 17K. Do you think its a good deal?
Buy the Paddock and find a good decent painter who might want to charge you 1000 to get it painted and make it appear like new
If you need any help lemme know will take you to my painter who has his shop in Mavalli

As usual try to haggle as he has kept an interesting odd number like 10.5K why not 10 or 11 K

Not bad mileage eh!!! considering the speeds/acceleration you make

Last edited by ku69rd : 22nd August 2011 at 16:14.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:26   #133
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
if the structural rigidity of the stand is intact then it's a great buy, it's a functional piece so it should not matter if it's second hand. I say go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Buy the Paddock and find a good decent painter who might want to charge you 1000 to get it painted and make it appear like new
If you need any help lemme know will take you to my painter who has his shop in Mavalli
Thanks Guys! My thoughts are the same on the functional part of it. Not really sure about the painting Mahesh, I'm Ok with the way it is now. But I know whom to call now

Sniper - I owe you a video on the paddock. Should be able to do it this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
As usual try to haggle as he has kept an interesting odd number like 10.5K why not 10 or 11 K
Actually, the dealer showed me the proof of his purchase from the customer for 10.5K. He's selling me with no P/L just because I was haggling him all the time.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:56   #134
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH

Thanks Guys! My thoughts are the same on the functional part of it. Not really sure about the painting Mahesh, I'm Ok with the way it is now. But I know whom to call now

Sniper - I owe you a video on the paddock. Should be able to do it this weekend.
I say if the scratch is localized (say in same position) then there is nothing that CF tape can't beautify also the equipment is such that it will gathers war marks over the year. So leave it like that.

Thanks mate for remembering this one. Will be a great on for YouTube DIY. Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 17:53   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

Jayant,
Would you have any idea if the Streetfighter 848 has been launched in our Ducati Bengaluru Showroom when you were there? It definitely deserves a look.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Ducati 796 Monster Required. Sensible? n.devdath Superbikes & Imports 13 29th March 2012 16:02
Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster shayne Superbikes & Imports 130 10th February 2012 15:40
A different kind of thread - Target: 80 kgs by Sept 11 2011. Prize:Ducati Monster 796 djpeesh Shifting gears 24 28th October 2011 03:49
Unleashing the Red Devil: The Ducati Monster 796 - Initial Ownership Report nadim_90210 Superbikes & Imports 34 13th May 2011 09:47
Impulsive Buying: Booked The Ducati Monster 796 - RED!!! nadim_90210 Superbikes & Imports 125 11th December 2010 01:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks