Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 30th January 2013, 20:47   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Got info from following link that triumph might start accepting booking from march 2013 onwards.
http://www.bikewale.com/news/142-tri...arch-2013.html
As discussed earlier, there is no law against speculations and the one's like us - who are SERIOUSLY interested in going for this, live on the hope that this be a credible piece of information! Alas it is not to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsh11 View Post
That article was posted in early December, and it seems like they're just speculating like all the other auto blogs on the internet. Not one person has credible evidence to support their claims and the fact that Triumph keeps saying 'later this year' doesn't instil confidence either..
How else would they get hit rates on their sites if they put up something like "Triumph motorcycles - We don't know when it is launching or would launch at all."
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 10:10   #272
Senior - BHPian

Got hold of a Bike india february edition. It is published that Bike India spoke to some seniors in triumph and they are expecting to make some positive anouncement by May-June 2013. Triumph has appointed four distributors and they may start accepting bookings in Jul-13.
djay99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 10:52   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got hold of a Bike india february edition. It is published that Bike India spoke to some seniors in triumph and they are expecting to make some positive anouncement by May-June 2013. Triumph has appointed four distributors and they may start accepting bookings in Jul-13.
djay - Bro, you are always (welcomingly) one step ahead in this! Looking forward to 1. picking up a Bike India mag. 2. Booking announcement!
Old 31st January 2013, 12:00   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
djay - Bro, you are always (welcomingly) one step ahead in this! Looking forward to 1. picking up a Bike India mag. 2. Booking announcement!
Yeah man. Trying to get as much info as possible about launch and delivery.
Infact some days back almost finalized buying a ninja 650 but did not like 2013 green-black combo. Hence back to street triple.
Please share if you come accress news about launch date.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:04   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah man. Trying to get as much info as possible about launch and delivery.
Infact some days back almost finalized buying a ninja 650 but did not like 2013 green-black combo. Hence back to street triple.
Please share if you come accress news about launch date.
Nooo! Please don't ditch the ST plan! I need your company (so does everyone else who are keen on this) I will keep my eyes/ears open for any update and will update you/this thread first thing if I get to know of something concrete. But I am sure you are two paces ahead of all of us!
Old 4th February 2013, 20:41   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Man! The Street Triple is absolutely gorgeous Most people buy Ducatis and Triumphs for the way they look. Period.

I've been trying to resist it, but I think even I've decided to wait for Triumph to launch their bikes before I take a call.

Since I am due for a D segment car this year, I think my budget will not allow me to stretch for Streeet Triple

However, going by the specs, history and sheer gorgeous looks, I am tempted to at least stay put till they launch it (to say the least). In all probability, I'll wait for the turn of the year (Auto Expo 2014- Jan,2014)before taking a call on my bike. Of course, I have the KTM Duke 390 as a back up plan. Till then, I have the modest Bajaj Avenger to sit in my garage and never be ridden again (its such 'local-chap' stuff). All I do is to pay some 100 odd bucks per month to get it cleaned.

BTW, is it a common trend to go for a bike with loan? Or do most folks tend to buy the bikes cash down, even if they go for superbikes. What's your plan. Part ways with a lot of 'Gandhis' right away? Somehow, I've never been mentally prepared to buy a bike on loan...

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 4th February 2013 at 20:47.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 13:21   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

BTW, is it a common trend to go for a bike with loan? Or do most folks tend to buy the bikes cash down, even if they go for superbikes. What's your plan. Part ways with a lot of 'Gandhis' right away? Somehow, I've never been mentally prepared to buy a bike on loan...
There is no trend as such. Whoever can afford cash down, will do cash down. Duke 200 was affordable for a "cash down purchase" for ME. but putting down a 5+ Lakhs of Gandhis -- would not be a good idea -- again for ME only. I might put in as much as I can - rest - Loan! so it doesn't pinch that hard.
Old 5th February 2013, 16:00   #278
BHPian

None of the statements from Triumph in the article below inspire confidence in an early launch in India ...

Source : http://www.livemint.com/Companies/7m...-Thailand.html

Triumph may import its bikes from Thailand
Initial study by the firm says volumes in India not good enough to justify setting up an assembly operation

Shally Seth Mohile
First Published: Mon, Feb 04 2013. 11 03 PM IST
Updated: Mon, Feb 04 2013. 11 09 PM IST

Mumbai: Triumph Motorcycles Ltd, the UK’s largest bike maker, may import motorcycles from its Thailand factory since selling locally-assembled bikes in India may not be viable given the low volumes, three people with the knowledge of the matter said, requesting anonymity.

“The initial study done by the company revealed the volumes are not good enough to justify establishing an assembly operation,” said one of the people. “The proposed facility (Triumph’s factory near Bangalore) will start operation only in 2015.”

It was more than a year ago that Triumph showcased its models, including the Bonneville, the iconic Speed Triple and Street Triple, the off-roader Tiger 800XC, supersport Daytona 675 and cruisers Storm and Rocket III, at the 11th Auto Expo in Delhi on 5 January 2012.

The Leicestershire-based firm had then said it would assemble some of these models locally.

However, 12 months after it made the announcement, “there are no Triumph dealerships open in India and the plan is to have dealers operational by 2013 and sales, bookings to start after that”, according to the company website.

“I am unable to comment on any of our future plans for India,” Simon Elliott, in-charge of dealer development at Triumph Motorcycles, said by email. “We will be making announcements later in the year on the dealer network and expectations for bookings and deliveries.”

Triumph’s India operations have also been delayed by the unexpected resignation of Ashish Joshi, who was its managing director. Joshi quit the company in April and is yet to be replaced.

Triumph may also take advantage of the reduced duty structure and sell some of the imported bikes from Thailand at a competitive rate, said the second person cited above.

Triumph has three divisions in Chonburi, Thailand, to manufacture motorcycle components, for wet painting and assembly and for making high pressure die-casting and machining parts, according to company’s website. Thailand is also the only country outside the UK where Triumph has a factory.

India attracts an import duty of 60% on completely built vehicles, 30% on semi-knocked down and 10% on completely knocked down units.

One of the provisions in the India-ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nation, which includes Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, among other countries) free trade agreement, signed in August 2009, allows manufacturers to import bikes of certain cylinder capacities at a concessional duty.

The duty has been progressively reduced since. According to information available on the commerce ministry website, “motorcycles with reciprocating internal combustion piston engine of a cylinder capacity exceeding 250cc but not exceeding 500cc” will attract a 20% duty with effect from 1 January 2013, while those with an engine capacity exceeding 800cc will pay a duty of 5%. The duty on 800cc bikes (and above) will be zero by 31 December 2013.

Priced between Rs. 5.5 lakh and Rs. 22 lakh, Triumph models compete with motorcycles from companies such as Harley-Davidson Inc, Ducati and BMW Motorrad. While some of Harley’s models in India are locally assembled, BMW and Ducati have been selling imported units.

“With the presence of every global bikemaker worth its name in the country, the market for the so-called recreational biking is evolving,”, said Tarandeep Ghai, principal, auto sector, at Boston Consulting Group. The superbike segment, estimated to sell around 2,000 units per month, is only set to expand at a brisk pace, said Ghai. As a brand, Triumph has a high brand recall among biking enthusiasts, said Ghai. “While it may not be too late for them (Triumph) to enter, they should not delay it further.”

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th May 2014 at 13:17. Reason: Removing some links
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 11:13   #279
Senior - BHPian

Some bike magazines are speculating that triumph may start accepting bookings by Jul-13.
They cannot bring ST, Daytona as CBU as the present rules do not permit them as they fall under <800CC bikes.
I am surprised to see that duty on 800cc bikes (and above) will be zero by 31 December 2013. Will this lead to reducing prices of FZ1, Speed Triple and Honda CBR1000?
Old 6th February 2013, 12:29   #280
BHPian

Hey yeah, that Live Mint article says:

"...motorcycles with reciprocating internal combustion piston engine of a cylinder capacity exceeding 250cc but not exceeding 500cc” will attract a 20% duty with effect from 1 January 2013, while those with an engine capacity exceeding 800cc will pay a duty of 5%. The duty on 800cc bikes (and above) will be zero by 31 December 2013."

(Not too clear, "800cc" is mentioned twice, at 5% and 0%, might be a misprint.)

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/7m...nd.html?ref=mr

Won't this have (reduced) cost implications on all the foreign bikes assembled/imported here?
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 13:43   #281
BHPian

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motorc...-demand-67350/

If what is described in the above link really happens, dreams of all those people planning to buy Street Triple, Bonneville, etc in India will be shattered.

Bad for the Indian motorcycling enthusiasts!
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 14:11   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Bad for the Indian motorcycling enthusiasts!
I understand what you are saying from a bike enthusiast point of view, personally I'd love to see the Triumphs here too!

But from a business point of view, with a potential market like ours, the loss is Triumph's if they can't get their act together and release in the market. There will always be another manufacturer who can fill in the demand.
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 18:30   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I understand what you are saying from a bike enthusiast point of view, personally I'd love to see the Triumphs here too!

But from a business point of view, with a potential market like ours, the loss is Triumph's if they can't get their act together and release in the market. There will always be another manufacturer who can fill in the demand.
This leads to the next question - Which manufacturer is in the pipeline to fulfill that gap? :(
Old 6th February 2013, 18:39   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This leads to the next question - Which manufacturer is in the pipeline to fulfill that gap? :(
Well, except for Kawasaki, all the other Jap Big 4 have India operations. And small bikes.

Then of course there is Bajaj-Husky-KTM.

Of the other global marques, the only ones possible and who also have small.mid sized bikes would be Aprilia and Derby.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 18:48   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Well, except for Kawasaki, all the other Jap Big 4 have India operations. And small bikes.

Then of course there is Bajaj-Husky-KTM.

Of the other global marques, the only ones possible and who also have small.mid sized bikes would be Aprilia and Derby.
Kawasaki is only with the Ninjas. Twin cyl.
Other Japs don't have anything that is close to the Triumph gap.
Husky's are far far away - 2015 and beyond!

And Doc - The talk was NEVER of small bikes! For that we have the Boxers and Platina's and Discovers!

Last edited by Shubz : 6th February 2013 at 18:49.