Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 9th May 2013, 15:39   #361
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Its always better to run them on high octane fuel and good news is we have couple of fuel stations with these fuel in Bangalore, I will not run any bike on normal fuel if the compression ratio is anything above 10, slight detonation which we wont feel in multiple cylinder bikes will kill the engine in couple of thousand kms.
Its possible to run these bikes on low octane fuel as well with different custom map and exhaust.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 01:22   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

And to Ram sir - who is bringing his Bonnie to India - Wonder if you are doing anything about it to run on the fuel grade available here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Its always better to run them on high octane fuel and good news is we have couple of fuel stations with these fuel in Bangalore,

Its possible to run these bikes on low octane fuel as well with different custom map and exhaust.
Shubz and Ajay,

As per the spec I can use from 93 - 98 octane, but recommended is 95 oct. I think 95 oct should be available in Cities. As Ajay confirmed Blore it shouldn't be an issue.

Further, if I understand the electronics of the bike correctly, the engine management is set to sense the fuel quality and compensate with an auto retardation in the timing sequence.

Probably as Bonnie falls in to the touring category, like in a GS1200 the electronic gizmos are set to tolerate occasional use of lower octane fuel. I have run it on 93 (rural areas in Oman) and have had no noticeable issues at all so far.

As I said I am keeping my fingers crossed on all counts

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 14:03   #363
BHPian

Hi folks. Just wanted to take the time to put some info down about Triumph's entry into India. This is just a way I feel could help in avoiding some rumours.

1. Triumph motorcycles will have it's dealerships operational by July 2013 but has not given any details as to when they will officially launch their bikes in India. The news about a September 2013 launch is only a speculation.

2. As per their Facebook page, they have no plans to bring their bikes via the CKD route and therefore all their bikes will come via the CBU route from their Thailand factory. This is because Triumph does not expect to sell the required numbers to make the CKD route profitable enough to operate.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motorc...-demand-67350/

3. Triumph will have dealerships in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore open in 2013. There have been no announcements as to the launch of the other cities on their website however the info for these will be given in 2014.

4. Triumph will launch 7 motorcycles out of it's international line-up which have been listed on it's website. The bikes will be tuned to EU regulations as per CBU import rules. When Triumph officials came to India with British PM David Cameron the main reason was for waiver of the import duty on CBU bikes. That however is probably not happening. The bikes coming to India are-

Name:  bonn.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  38.4 KB
Bonneville

Name:  tig.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  45.4 KB
Tiger 800XC

Name:  strtri.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  50.9 KB
Street Triple

Name:  spdtri.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  46.6 KB
Speed Triple

Name:  day.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  48.2 KB
Daytona 675

Name:  storm.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  38.1 KB
Storm

Name:  roc3.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  47.1 KB
Rocket III Roadster

This is all the official information which Triumph has shared through it's news mediums till now and they have mentioned in their website that more info will be given closer to July/August. I know we are all very impatient for our favorite bikes to come but in the end, we will just have to wait. The departure of Mr. Joshi (their former India head) may have delayed their entry to the country but now that news is in the past and irrelevant. Triumph are finally coming to India in 2013 and I personally am happy with knowing just that.
bharat.joshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 17:28   #364
Senior - BHPian

Bharat sir - I beg to differ on a couple of things.

The September 2013 launch is not a rumor/speculation - They have categorically mentioned the same in their official FB page. (now if you ask me who is running that page, I wouldn't know)

Secondly - the pics of Speed and Street triple that you have posted are the 2012 models probably, the 2013 one's do not come with exhausts as seen in the pictures (as much as I would've loved it to be that way)

Thirdly - If they are not able to keep the prices competitive - this could also hurt them as only die hard fans of the icon may go for it. (just my 0.02 paisa)

Thanks nevertheless for the info.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 17:32   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Secondly - the pics of Speed and Street triple that you have posted are the 2012 models probably, the 2013 one's do not come with exhausts as seen in the pictures (as much as I would've loved it to be that way)
Yes, the fugly bug eyes without the crown.

Quote:
Thirdly - If they are not able to keep the prices competitive - this could also hurt them as only die hard fans of the icon may go for it. (just my 0.02 paisa)

Thanks nevertheless for the info.
Are hopes of that happening not waning if not altogether dissipated, with the route being planned?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 17:43   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yes, the fugly bug eyes without the crown.

Are hopes of that happening not waning if not altogether dissipated, with the route being planned?
Not to disregard Bharat's post - Triump sure would've foreseen the consequences of CBU import (a la Ducati) and sure wouldn't want to be another Ducati India in the making.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 18:42   #367
BHPian

Quote:
The September 2013 launch is not a rumor/speculation - They have categorically mentioned the same in their official FB page. (now if you ask me who is running that page, I wouldn't know)

Dear Shubz sir,

Yes I also have read about the September 2013 launch news however even the Triumph 'robot' has mentioned that as a planned date. Even the website states that they plan to have dealerships operational by Third quarter of 2013 and shall begin taking orders shortly after that.

Seeing how they were originally planning to launch in Sept 2012 and then got delayed by a year I would wait until they made a formal announcement of their plans rather than them mentioning on the Facebook group page.

The news about the CBU decision was announced many times in the news even during PM Cameron's visit. Again, I would rather believe official news from Triumph at this moment. Of course, I could be wrong in that regard. So if you have any official info I did not know then I am willing to admit that I am wrong. Also, the pictures i put up are what they have shared on their facebook page.

So again as I said, let us just wait till more info gets shared so as to further discuss the topic.
bharat.joshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 23:06   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat.joshi View Post

The news about the CBU decision was announced many times in the news even during PM Cameron's visit. Again, I would rather believe official news from Triumph at this moment. Of course, I could be wrong in that regard. So if you have any official info I did not know then I am willing to admit that I am wrong. Also, the pictures i put up are what they have shared on their facebook page.
Bharat sir - I would like to add that Triumph no where mentioned (not even during cameron visit) that they are planning for a CBU route. It was livemint which said this and every other website & magazine started spreading this news.
Triumph took help of Cameron to push things as govt of KA is very slow in providing all approvals. Also they don't have a dedicated indian partner to handle our local govt.

What i also think is that when they are planning to setup a manufactuing & assembly plant/facility- why will they go for CBU? Does not make sense to me. Ofcourse CBU will help them to start selling their bikes early and lesser investment but if they wanted to go CBU way, they could have done this earlier .

Also i believe <800CC are not eligible as CBU import as per govt norms. So their speculated hot selling models cannot be imported et all. Please correct me if i am wrong.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 19:01   #369
BHPian

djay99 sir - Triumph has mentioned in one of it's posts on the facebook page that it has made no announcements on the CKD route. The fact that they have requested the Karnataka government for land allocation was something I was unaware of. Thanks for another clarification.

As for import of bikes under 800cc, I believe there are different rules on importing bikes as CBU from Thailand. Ducati imports their entire range of motorcycles from Thailand save for the super sport category and the Monster range of bike does include below 800c engine specs. (Or are these brought in as CKD?). I remember that during the Auto Expo 2012, a Triumph executive did mention that the first few bikes would be sold in India as CBU until their assembly plans are operational.
Old 11th May 2013, 22:35   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
djay99 sir - Triumph has mentioned in one of it's posts on the facebook page that it has made no announcements on the CKD route. The fact that they have requested the Karnataka government for land allocation was something I was unaware of. Thanks for another clarification.

As for import of bikes under 800cc, I believe there are different rules on importing bikes as CBU from Thailand. Ducati imports their entire range of motorcycles from Thailand save for the super sport category and the Monster range of bike does include below 800c engine specs. (Or are these brought in as CKD?). I remember that during the Auto Expo 2012, a Triumph executive did mention that the first few bikes would be sold in India as CBU until their assembly plans are operational.
IMO Triumph said that they have not finalized about completely going CBU way as mentioned by livemint. Their CKD plans are intact .

Karnataka govt has already alloted over 30 acres of land in Narsapura, near kolar. This has happened before 6 months.

They have appointed 4 distributors to handle region level distribution.

Govt allows a limited number of bikes to be imprted as CBU at reduced customs duty provided a company is setting up an assembly/manufacturing plant.
Old 19th May 2013, 01:58   #371
Senior - BHPian

An update from Triumph:

Thanks for the email. We are getting on well with establishing our dealerships and putting the supply routes in place to get our bikes to Indian customers. I can’t advise specifics right now but can say that the launch is getting much closer now. Most likely timing for this is September with bookings starting immediately afterwards but could vary slightly depending on dealer locations.

Really not much longer to go now. Your patience and continued interest is really appreciated.
djay99 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 01:12   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Most likely timing for this is September with bookings starting immediately afterwards but could vary slightly depending on dealer locations.
So by the time I return to India from Milan I will be in time to witness the arrival of one of my favourite bike manufacturers. After a very patient wait since Auto Expo 2012 this is a very good news. You know what, I am so happy.
Old 20th May 2013, 18:04   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So by the time I return to India from Milan I will be in time to witness the arrival of one of my favourite bike manufacturers. After a very patient wait since Auto Expo 2012 this is a very good news. You know what, I am so happy.
And then there is a chance that the price tag could read upwards of 8 Lakhs INR (just a thought) </3
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 18:49   #374
BHPian

Quote:
And then there is a chance that the price tag could read upwards of 8 Lakhs INR (just a thought) </3
Well Shubz sir, let us not tempt the evil eye now shall we.

Even if the price is that high the saying 'Where there is a will there is a way' would be apt for really big Triumph fans like me and my brother.
Old 20th May 2013, 18:53   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And then there is a chance that the price tag could read upwards of 8 Lakhs INR(just a thought) </3
Why the thought of 8L and why not 6L for ST?
Please give us some more info on this 8L guessing part

Quote:
Well Shubz sir, let us not tempt the evil eye now shall we.

Even if the price is that high the saying 'Where there is a will there is a way' would be apt for really big Triumph fans like me and my brother.
Will you buy ST for 8L?

That will be close to 9.5L on road in bangalore

Last edited by djay99 : 20th May 2013 at 19:03.