Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 27th August 2013, 11:25   #466
BHPian

Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

The bonneville is expected to be the bread and butter of triumph india ops. It checks all the right boxes :-
- Decent amount of power delivery - sufficient for pottering around the city as well as long rides on the highways
- Retro looks and styling (we know this works, just look at the runaway success of the cl 500)
- The triumph name - it still enjoys a fair deal of brand recall with many beautiful models still enjoying the limelight at vintage car and bike shows in india
- A jack of all trades machine - takes care not to offend any sensibilities by branding itself as a cruiser, or a sportsbike or an enduro

With all this in the bag triumph needs to focus on getting three things right :-
- giving it a good introductory price so as to tempt people who ordinarily wouldn't spend on extravagances like "big bikes" i.e. the middle class
- Have a fairly widespread dealership network extending to the burgeoning tier II cities as well apart from the metros eg ahemdabad, lucknow, ludhiana, vizag etc
- As Haroon pointed out, "out of sight is out of mind" so triumph will have to focus on brand marketing akin to harley - sponsor big events, lifestyle events, tours, vintage rallies etc
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 12:06   #467
BHPian

This could be a welcome change in the market where limited choices are available as Harley (elite buy) or Enfield (non-elite) yet riding such machines make a difference from the mass produced machine.

Other high end machines produced by Kawasaki / Yamaha / Honda could not get much of acceptance in the Indian market.

Right now with CKD option, Enfield has nothing to worry as they will be sailing smooth due to better price point, though in due course of time if domestic manufacturing starts for this machine, it is quite possible that Enfield might find it difficult to sustain as their product quality is consistent (bad) for past 2 decades and people with such desires will consider alternates even at a higher price point.

This machine cannot be a hit or miss, I am certain that even the CKD machines will find enough buyers to let the company sustain in India.

Cheers to the new choices available at disposal to Indian customers
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 12:21   #468
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville gets mild updates for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Link to News Section

The iconic Bonneville, an entry level motorcycle in British motorcycle marque Triumph's portfolio, has gotten an update for the 2014 model year. The motorcycle gets a slew of cosmetic changes and new colours for 2014.

Here's a list of the changes that the 2014 Bonneville comes with,
  • Redesigned exhaust system
  • New tank decals
  • 3 Refreshed colours: Black, Silver, White and Blue
  • Machined cooling fins on the engine block
  • Solid black paint finish for the oil cooler lines
  • Redesigned seat with a focus on improving comfort
  • Grab rail for the pillion
Is it really an upgrade

If you go in to the Triumph UK website - there is an option to build your own bike - i.e. put together the kit you want and get it priced

All of the above including the pipes were available as option from 2009 to 2012 (I haven't been to the site for long)

Now may be they have decided to make it the standard - which no doubt would translate to higher price as well.

Is Triumph looking at this as an excuse/explanation to come in with a higher price than what thet were touting for India (with the way the Rupee is going, the price definitely will be higher any way)

Is it India specific ? and a knee jerk reaction from Triumph for India to be on par with the competetion who is already entrenched in a sort of way in India (I mean the HD) and their entry level model - which is more of black shade.

On a lighter side - instead of all these I would have been happier if they had put in a Centre Stand - which costs almost GBP 200/- to buy seperately

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 27th August 2013 at 12:23.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 13:13   #469
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville gets mild updates for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Is it really an upgrade

If you go in to the Triumph UK website - there is an option to build your own bike - i.e. put together the kit you want and get it priced

Ram
Previously optional, now standard. No, not India specific.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 17:35   #470
BHPian

This photo was shared by I am biker FB page, photo credit:Varun Sharma

Guess few bikes have already reached Delhi. Finally some good news
giri1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 17:44   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
This photo was shared by I am biker FB page, photo credit:Varun Sharma. Guess few bikes have already reached Delhi. Finally some good news
Are these pictures new? Wasn't a similar picture there from the thread of 2012 Pragathi Maidan show or in this thread itself in the earlier pages.

If this is new, then its not good news. As this may mean that they are going the CBU route that the CKD route as initially announced - as these packing is for CBU bikes delivered to dealer/customer - which could in turn translate to higher prices than previously announced or being currently expected.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th September 2013 at 16:03. Reason: removed pic from quoted post as it can inconvenience small screen and mobile users.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 18:59   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Are these pictures new? Wasn't a similar picture there from the thread of 2012 Pragathi Maidan show or in this thread itself in the earlier pages.

If this is new, then its not good news. As this may mean that they are going the CBU route that the CKD route as initially announced - as these packing is for CBU bikes delivered to dealer/customer - which could in turn translate to higher prices than previously announced or being currently expected.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Some sources on the same page have posted that only initial bikes will be CBU ! I guess triumph will absorb the price difference between CKD and CBU for the initial customers, but I am only guessing.
giri1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 11:08   #473
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone shed some light as to where their showrooms are opening and how does one book a bike if he wants ?. A friend of mine and myself are keen on the Bonneville and the 675 Daytona but dont know how to go about it. Everytime my friend sends a mail to them, they say we will get back to you shortly. The wait for a reply also has been slowly putting him off and now with the Kawasaki's here he would jump the zx10 way.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 21:28   #474
Senior - BHPian

Unconfirmed sources say - Bangalore dealership has been given to Adya Motors. (Fiat Dealers) on ORR, Opp Manyata Tech park. Incidentally, they have even taken up Ducati dealership as well.

I hope this doesn't mess things up a la Ducati/precision combo.

Regarding the pic above, this has been going around in a few pages. It could be display bikes / Initial lot of CBU's for Nov launch. or anything.

There wasn't encouraging news about pricing either! (though I don't want to spit the numbers out as I don't like those numbers! <boohooo!!>
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 16:44   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

I hope this doesn't mess things up a la Ducati/precision combo.
Ducati has set the benchmark in messing up. Audi's takeover doesn't seem to change things as well. With a super small market, the customers have no leverage on the brands.

Quote:
There wasn't encouraging news about pricing either! (though I don't want to spit the numbers out as I don't like those numbers! <boohooo!!>
Now you make me sweat! I am really planning to clean up my garage to welcome a Daytona. Can you please share the numbers (even if you don't like them)? (I might have to take my GT650N off sale!)
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 16:47   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

Ducati has set the benchmark in messing up. Audi's takeover doesn't seem to change things as well. With a super small market, the customers have no leverage on the brands.

Now you make me sweat! I am really planning to clean up my garage to welcome a Daytona. Can you please share the numbers (even if you don't like them)? (I might have to take my GT650N off sale!)
Sriram sir... I dread to mention the double digit figures. :-(
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 17:25   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...........double digit figures......

That will be a total downer!! I was looking up at Triumph as a company that will shake up the motorcycling scene, just like Harley Davidson did. But if they do come out with double digit figures, It'll be a total downer and another ducati debacle in the making.

Its one thing to make great bikes, its quite another to make them market successes. Something HD has succeeded in even though, from a completely technological standpoint, their bikes are still not up to the mark.

I think my bonneville dream will remain a dream for some time. Not that I'm not having a great time with the GS. :P
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 17:39   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Sriram sir... I dread to mention the double digit figures. :-(
Thanks for your quick response.. That would squarely put it out of reach in the short term
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 18:21   #479
Senior - BHPian

Now that we are talking of possible prices, I thought it would be realistic to have a look at the retail prices in a market close to us and where they have a taxed economy and where bikes are produced as well - Thailand

These are the prices from Triumph Thailand website

http://www.britbike.co.th/Triumph_Mo...t_ENGLISH.html

The price rage of Classics, some of which are manufactured in Thailand and Supersports, again some of which like the Daytona are produced in Thailand

The current Exchange Rate THB to INR is 1:2.16. This was around 1.60 in Jan 2012, when Thriumph made the anouncements

Even if we assume that the Production Cost and Landed Cost to be 50% of the prices shown in the price list, unless there is huge subsidy by Producer, I can see now way how the prices they mentioned are acheivable. Specially if they are going to be CBU, with the Customs Duty of around 113% plus the various State Sales Tax etc.

Even assuming they will be on CKD (can anyone tell what the import duty on CKD is ?) the story is not going to be different.

Even with a ASEAN concessions on import, what is the minimum import duty

May be I am totally wrong, and if so would like to be corrected, so that the people who are waiting for Triumph will rest a bit easy.

I also hope that I am wrong, so that the dealerships and Service points happen sooner than latter.

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 10th September 2013 at 18:26.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 14:51   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, so that the people who are waiting for Triumph will rest a bit easy.
Ram sir - Don't think any of the potential buyers (including myself) would rest easy till the prices are officially announced!

Going by the exchange rate (courtesy www.xe.com)

STREET TRIPLE R ---> 750,000 Baht = 15+ L (just for comparison - not that it will be a straight conversion for the bikes here)
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote