Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:51   #661
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BHT, SKM, USA
Posts: 74
Thanked: 89 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Man, no Scrambler, what a shame! I wanted one for riding the hills! As for differences between the Std. Bonnie and T100, bunch of you folks have already given most of the answers. I sat on them at the Triumph/Ducati dealer in New York last year and the immediate difference I felt was height. The Std with smaller wheels sits slightly lower than the T100. Reviewers and people who've ridden both also say the Std. mag-wheel Bonnie is ever so easier to maneuver and handle than the taller spoke-wheel T100. I owned an older Std. Bonnie, a 2006 model, with same wheel size (spoked wheels) as current T100s and ran on carburetors - pre-EFI and pre-mag wheels - and I must say, coming from an Enfield Bullet background, it didn't take me much to get used to it at all - heavier, peppier and more powerful of course! Styling-wise the mag-wheels resemble 1970s style Bonnies, while the T100 is designed to channel the spirit of the 1960s. I like the T100 styling better and if Triumph isn't going to bring the Scrambler to the Indian market, will probably go for the T100 in the near-future (fingers crossed!)

Also, 2014 models are supposed to come with slightly louder, throatier-sounding exhausts from the factory itself. Otherwise that was one of the biggest complaints from Bonnie riders in the US - the weak, "sewing-machine" sounding exhaust note. Many opted to change to aftermarket pipes. I changed the stock pipes on my '06 to British Customs' Predator kit, as well as removing airbox, etc. and boy! what a difference that made to the sound as well as adding a few extra horses worth of punch, so worth it!

Last edited by grplr02 : 22nd November 2013 at 05:55.
grplr02 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:29   #662
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 916 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Dealership for Bombay appointed as well.
Shaman Motors has got the dealership for Bombay.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grplr02 View Post
Man, no Scrambler, what a shame! I wanted one for riding the hills!.I like the T100 styling better and if Triumph isn't going to bring the Scrambler to the Indian market, will probably go for the T100 in the near-future (fingers crossed!)
Triumph will get its entire range eventually to India. The models announced right now are just for the launch and to get the ball rolling.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:12   #663
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pune, Dubai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 73 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Hello Folks,

grplr02 - I had the only Scrambler in the entire GCC. It is a blast to ride. It will handle tarmac and also gravel tracks. My only complaint was the Bridgestone Trailwing tyres. The wild persona got a boost when Michelin tyres were put into service after 20K kilometers. In my opinion, the scrambler with its higher ground clearance, dual purpose tyres, 270 degree firing order is a better bike for India. However, the populace will have concerns with the hi-level pipes.

I echo your concerns for the sound.

My friend and rider (Mr Ram) has not changed his muffler.

I had TORS on my Scrambler after replacing my original mufflers.

On my Thruxton, I had D&Ds finally, after replacing a pair of British Custom predators from a standard pair.

The Indian motorcycling scene is changing and it is changing fast indeed.

While the Scrambler was loads of fun, the Thruxton was mad as a box of frogs.

Lets see how this story unfolds.

Regards,

BB
Britishbangers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:39   #664
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,288
Thanked: 88 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Shaman Motors has got the dealership for Bombay.
Yes I knew that but didn't want to reveal just yet because they will start getting unnecessary calls, mainly from time wasters.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 05:40   #665
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BHT, SKM, USA
Posts: 74
Thanked: 89 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Triumph will get its entire range eventually to India. The models announced right now are just for the launch and to get the ball rolling.
Thanks! That's wonderful to hear. It'll probably be a while before I'm set to buy a Triumph in India so a bit of a wait is fine by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishbangers View Post
Hello Folks,

grplr02 - I had the only Scrambler in the entire GCC. It is a blast to ride. It will handle tarmac and also gravel tracks. My only complaint was the Bridgestone Trailwing tyres. The wild persona got a boost when Michelin tyres were put into service after 20K kilometers. In my opinion, the scrambler with its higher ground clearance, dual purpose tyres, 270 degree firing order is a better bike for India. However, the populace will have concerns with the hi-level pipes.

I echo your concerns for the sound.

My friend and rider (Mr Ram) has not changed his muffler.

I had TORS on my Scrambler after replacing my original mufflers.

On my Thruxton, I had D&Ds finally, after replacing a pair of British Custom predators from a standard pair.

The Indian motorcycling scene is changing and it is changing fast indeed.

While the Scrambler was loads of fun, the Thruxton was mad as a box of frogs.

Lets see how this story unfolds.

Regards,

BB
I really like the Thruxtons - once in a while I ride with a bunch of guys in New York, several of whom own Thruxtons, one with D&D pipes, they're super neat & so stylish, very popular in the city. Back home I'll mostly be in the Eastern Himalayas (where I'm from) and your experience with the Scrambler echoes what I understand about them - I think they'll be most appropriate for the environment I'll be in, already thinking about the mods 2-into-1 Arrow pipes perhaps? Will look into the tires too. Not too worried about the high-pipes, they look way cool!

And yes, very happy to see the changing Indian motorcycling scene - back in my college days in Delhi it was all cast-iron Bullets, yezdis/jawas, Japanese 100ccs, and the holy grail RD350! So much more choices now & more to come!
grplr02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 12:09   #666
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,612
Thanked: 1,346 Times
Default Man Reunited with Long Lost Motorcycle

May be Slightly OT - But its about a man's relation to his Triumph - so it would be of interest to the potential Triump Owners

I am attaching the scan of a news paper article.
Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-triumph-tiger-53-theft.jpg

Two things touched me from the story
  1. The perseverence of the Investigators - Keeping track of a USD 300 Motorocycle for 46 years and recovering and reuniting it with the original owner - Remarkable !!!
  2. The first reaction of DeVault - the owner - Take it for a spin !!! at 73 years of age
This is the typical reaction a "Triumph" evokes in a man, who loves his motor cycles

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

PS: By the way - 1st new gen Bonnie has been registered in Bangalore (and probably in India) - I GOT MY REGISTRATION CARD TODAY
r_nairtvm is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 13:21   #667
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Man Reunited with Long Lost Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Two things touched me from the story
  1. The perseverence of the Investigators - Keeping track of a USD 300 Motorocycle for 46 years and recovering and reuniting it with the original owner - Remarkable !!!
  2. The first reaction of DeVault - the owner - Take it for a spin !!! at 73 years of age
This is the typical reaction a "Triumph" evokes in a man, who loves his motor cycles
Lovely story Ram!

Though as an Indian, albeit a bit on the cynical side, another thing actually struck me first above all else.

50 years later a stolen bike still carrying its original chassis and engine number!
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 18:44   #668
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,007
Thanked: 6,043 Times
Default Re: Man Reunited with Long Lost Motorcycle

An endearing story Ram. Simply Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
50 years later a stolen bike still carrying its original chassis and engine number!
In india, it would have done multiple rounds of number transformations from every part of the bike
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 09:20   #669
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pune, Dubai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 73 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Hello Folks,

Mr Ram -Yes, great story there. Congratulations on the registration, finally it is over and the powers that be, have succumbed to your relentless follow up!

Ebonho & mobike008 - I echo your sentiments, in India, the numbers on the engine and chassis would have been changed. However, while I was involved in the Classic & Vintage biking scene, I had access to chassis & engine numbers and also to shipping / dealer details for BSA, Triumph and a few other marques.

So, it is still possible to check the credentials of bike vis-a-vis the chassis and engine numbers therein.

All bets are off in case the chassis and engine numbers are copied from a legitimate bike.

Regards,

BB
Britishbangers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 10:56   #670
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishbangers View Post
Hello Folks,

Mr Ram -Yes, great story there. Congratulations on the registration, finally it is over and the powers that be, have succumbed to your relentless follow up!

Ebonho & mobike008 - I echo your sentiments, in India, the numbers on the engine and chassis would have been changed. However, while I was involved in the Classic & Vintage biking scene, I had access to chassis & engine numbers and also to shipping / dealer details for BSA, Triumph and a few other marques.

So, it is still possible to check the credentials of bike vis-a-vis the chassis and engine numbers therein.

All bets are off in case the chassis and engine numbers are copied from a legitimate bike.

Regards,
BB
The worst kept secret in biking circles (both grey market SBK as well as Vintage) in India is the ease with which you can get an insurance write off and use its numbers on another bike and happily ride around all over the countryside. Its almost an industry here, definitely way above cottage levels when you see the market cap involved, with cross state networks working together like well oiled machinery.
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 11:20   #671
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 916 Times
Default Re: Man Reunited with Long Lost Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Yes I knew that but didn't want to reveal just yet because they will start getting unnecessary calls, mainly from time wasters.
In that case one should not take a dealership as not every call made for inquiries are from serious buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
May be Slightly OT - But its about a man's relation to his Triumph - so it would be of interest to the potential Triump Owners.
Its wonderful to see people being reunited with their beauties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
50 years later a stolen bike still carrying its original chassis and engine number!
In India people only see marques, price they are paying and nothing else, while abroad the history is also looked into. Thats the reason if the chassis no or engine no is tampered with the vehicle however rare or historic looses value. All records pertaining to the vehicle, like manufacturing date, shipping details, first owner details etc are all lost.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 11:43   #672
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,352
Thanked: 136 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Another 3 days to go, lets see what Triumph has got for us, lots of hopes are there with them.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 12:56   #673
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,007
Thanked: 6,043 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Iam given to understand there is an improved FI version of the Bonneville in 2014 model.

Is that what is going to be sold in India or we are yet again going to be treated as dustbin for their outgoing products?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 13:07   #674
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 916 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Iam given to understand there is an improved FI version of the Bonneville in 2014 model.

Is that what is going to be sold in India or we are yet again going to be treated as dustbin for their outgoing products?
I presume the bikes would be the 2014 models and not the 2013 ones.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 13:10   #675
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,007
Thanked: 6,043 Times
Default re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I presume the bikes would be the 2014 models and not the 2013 ones.
Hmm. Even I expect the same considering the time of launch.

But, I was looking to understand if we get the same improved engine ( Iam not even sure if there is even an improved FI engine for 2014 model, just someone casually mentioned so wanting to know on that aspect)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regal Raptor (Chinese) motorcycles to enter India Tushar Motorbikes 19 3rd November 2015 20:04
Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai. EDIT - Now in Bangalore, India. r_nairtvm Superbikes & Imports 202 28th October 2014 11:27
VW to enter the used car market. EDIT "Das WeltAuto" Launched libranof1987 The Indian Car Scene 22 17th December 2012 15:09
Vespa Set To Re-enter India. EDIT: Now Launched @ Rs.66,661/- ex-showroom Maharashtra Car-Agey Motorbikes 42 26th April 2012 18:02
Triumph Motorcycles @ Auto Expo 2012 parrys Superbikes & Imports 77 24th February 2012 18:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks