Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 3rd December 2014, 16:55   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Detailed info on importing a bike from USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesbee View Post
hi all,

Good info... thanks
but i would like to know if we Indian's working/living abroad could take bikes home even if not on TR? as i want to take mine home but same time i still continue working abroad!

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Did you get an answer to this question at all?

1) Yes, you can very well take used bikes home.
2) It can be only on TR. Which means you can avail TR once EVERY 3 years (TR does not mean that you are stopping work and returning back to India permanently. You can avail TR, but can CONTINUE working abroad. Only thing is that to avail another TR, you have to wait another 3 years- to bring a second bike )
3) To take a bike on TR, you should have continuously owned that bike on your name abroad for atleast 1 year.

All other details are there in this tread anyway
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 12:54   #107
BHPian

Thanks Haroon. Also, I saw in the attached pdf document that the bike should not be more than 3 years old?

My brother-in-law is in the US and has owned a bike from 2004 which he bought from the showroom. He now wants to sell it and is getting quite a low offer there. I told him that I would pick it up and bring it here if I could manage it under TR. Do you think it makes sense? It is a 2004 Hayabusa.
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 15:37   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Thanks Haroon. Also, I saw in the attached pdf document that the bike should not be more than 3 years old?

My brother-in-law is in the US and has owned a bike from 2004 which he bought from the showroom. He now wants to sell it and is getting quite a low offer there. I told him that I would pick it up and bring it here if I could manage it under TR. Do you think it makes sense? It is a 2004 Hayabusa.
As far as my knowledge goes (this is till January 2014),the rule is that you can import your personal bike not older than 15 years. My own bike imported was 9 years old.

When you say "you will pick up your brother in laws bike", I am presuming you will fulfill the condition that- You are an NRI (means you have not stayed in India for more than 180 days in the past 2 years) and you will register & own the bike abroad under YOUR name continuously for 1 year and subsequently you will import it under TR. If you dont fulfil any of the above you CANT import it. Alternatively your brother-in-law can import it immediately under TR in HIS name as he has already owned it for more than 1 year.

Last edited by Haroon : 4th December 2014 at 15:42.
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 17:33   #109
BHPian

Yep, 2nd point, was thinking of asking him to import it here for me.
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 06:37   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
1) Yes, you can very well take used bikes home.
2) It can be only on TR. Which means you can avail TR once EVERY 3 years (TR does not mean that you are stopping work and returning back to India permanently. You can avail TR, but can CONTINUE working abroad. Only thing is that to avail another TR, you have to wait another 3 years- to bring a second bike )
3) To take a bike on TR, you should have continuously owned that bike on your name abroad for atleast 1 year.

All other details are there in this tread anyway
Thanks for the info Haroon
So this mean i missed out on 4 bikes already!!

I have been in UAE since 2001 and have never availed this TR ever, therefore could i take 4 bikes now or only one? moreover on TR we could presumably also import a car+bike every three years?

Thanks once again
Hesbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 14:13   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesbee View Post
Thanks for the info Haroon
So this mean i missed out on 4 bikes already!!

I have been in UAE since 2001 and have never availed this TR ever, therefore could i take 4 bikes now or only one? moreover on TR we could presumably also import a car+bike every three years?

Thanks once again

Yes, you indeed missed out on 4 bikes i guess, but unfortunately you cant now bring them all together. And the rule is you can bring on TR one bike OR one car, not both at the same time. Anyway since its from UAE, Indian customs dont allow import of LHD cars (except probably those used RHD cars from Japan sold in Sharjah)

P.S: Btw, I think in your signature you have to correct it from Kawasaki GXR 750 to Suzuki

Last edited by Haroon : 31st January 2015 at 14:16.
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 02:04   #112
BHPian

any new updates on the importing procedure and charges

i would like to know if any changes were made to the customs structure
gt_mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 01:08   #113
BHPian

@gt_mustang
rules has not changed, the number crunching of the duty might vary a bit by few % but other than that, it is what it is..

As most bikes are available in India I suggest folks who are living abroad think twice before bringing your bike coz its a long drawn process with lots of mental agony involved.

If you own one of the bikes, then I beleive it's worth bringing it on TR
1. Any HD CVO version (these are not available or they are super expensive in India)
2. Any VRSC version as they too are expensive in India
3. Any Road Glide/Electra Glide from HD (falls under the above category)
4. Any 1200GS version
5. Any Diavel or Multistrada from Duc
6. Triumph Rocket
7. Honda Goldwing

& the list goes on & on & on

Bottom line is if you own bike overseas and/or if you planning to buy one and keeping it with you overseas for minimum period of ownership and bringing it here, then kindly first search if the bike is available in India..
Do all the above math to see if it is viable to bring it in a TR route, if you think it is then don't hesitate to bring it

For example:
I would not bring any sportster or bonnies or dyna's or softails or daytona etc...coz these bike by the time that you land and all things assesed you would have ended up paying more than what you could have purchased a new one in IND.
shrini78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 02:07   #114
Senior - BHPian

Guys

I want to carry an exhaust with me when i am travelling back to India. Can someone with information guide me if its better to ship*via sea. I want to ship some items as i am closing down my time in US and returning for good.

I want to get some motorcycle parts including some performance parts for a future buy(RC390).

Anyone has experience on this.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote