Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 9th August 2011, 18:44   #136
BHPian

Default Re: A Harley dream comes true !!

This was the rent inclusive of Insurance for me and the Harley...I think the rates u quote are during the recession that hit USA....

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 9th August 2011 at 18:47.
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 01:59   #137
BHPian

Hi DKG,
Came to know while reading the 4x4 threads, that you got a Harley too.
Indeed it is a dream come true. Congrats.
Can you comment on the After Sales service experience so far.
thanks
Ameet
ameet_pv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 11:42   #138
Senior - BHPian

Looks like DKG is away - doing what his machines are meant to do - be on the road.

Eagerly awaiting a detailed review after actual "usage in the field".

I have been reading about hard suspension, less than ideal seat comfort, GC troble, etc. Has put me in dual mind after the Hyosung ST7 test ride.

Hyosung ST7 (based on my own test ride experience which was in line with media reviews):
+ves: great comfort (seat, suspension), braking is also very good.
-ves: Engine is not refined and low end torque is lacking.

HD Superlow or Iron 883 (based on media reviews):
+ves: Great engine, 70Nm @3500 RPM.
-ves: Lack of comfort, GC, harsh ride, pillion seat only as an afterthought...

As is the case with most of us on T-BHP 70Nm @3500RPM would pull it off but I will be sad to let go of that awesome comfort and suspension of ST7 :-(.

Afterall, it's a lot of money these guys are charging. Maruti makes a C-O-M-P-L-E-T-E swift out of this much cash. Just wondering how awesome the margins would be in the superbikes business.

Cheers!
Anand

Last edited by anandpadhye : 12th August 2011 at 11:45.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 13:54   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
We should start a Team Bhp HOG club.

Was going through the pricelist on Turbanator's post. Quite steep.

I mail ordered my forward controls and including shipping came to ~$500. It was not difficult to do the install at home.

If you are the kind of guy who likes to tinker with stuff (rhetorical, as your activities are well known on TBHp ), would suggest you order online and save quite a bit. The Dealer (Stealer?) is useful for engine and other hardware related stuff.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
hi,
can you please share the website from where you have ordered.
thanks
nvluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 10:27   #140
DKG
Senior - BHPian

My apologies for not replying earlier.

I've been riding the Super Low every weekend and infact many days of the week too, so it's with a fair amount of riding that I can say with confidence that this really is a very fine bike.

The Super Low is very useable in our traffic conditions. It's very maneuvreable and with loads of torque is a delight in traffic when you want to effortlessly pull away.

The ride is comparatively more soft than the Iron and I find it very relaxing to ride it. Infact not having ridden my VFR for sometime I took it out last weekend to instantly notice the extra effort super bikes entail in terms of concentration and riding effort. And mind you the VFR is one of the most comfortable super bikes you could desire.

The Super Low starts instantly with no fuss and idles smooth regardless of ambient temperature. I am actually impressed the bike is as reliable as Japanese bikes in starting. I am sure it's all thanks to the modern electronic ignition.

With the exception of low ground clearance the Super Low is a charming Harley. It feels light and maneuvreable, has a soft comfortable ride, loads of torque and great looks.

if you can pay extra attention to avoiding large potholes and speedbreakers then you can (almost completely) avoid scraping the bottom. The other downside is you can't lean the bike too much. But this is down to riding styles and having been spoilt on the VFR my riding style needs to be toned down on the Harley to avoid scraping pegs and lower silencer bracket nuts. I keep joking with the Harley boys that one of the consumables on my Harley are silencer bracket bolts as I keep shaving them into half the size with sharp leans on turns.

Last edited by DKG : 13th November 2011 at 10:29.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 20:55   #141
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Service on Harleys is expensive. I paid about Rs 4500 for the first service which included all the synthetic oils being changed and the oil filter. But its okay, as for me the Harley is about pure pleasure and like the VFR I never bother about what mileage it gives me or what it costs to maintain. The thrill and fun I've been having riding the Harley every weekend is something I wouldn't trade for anything.
Old 13th November 2011, 21:42   #142
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Now that I have a Royal Enfield Classic 500 and I've been riding it everyday since I picked it up last week I have a interesting perspective on the Harley. In every aspect the Harley is just such a richer and deeper experience. Its deeply satiating everytime I ride it. Which is why I don't want to spoil the fun by using it in areas where I can't ride it how I prefer to. When I accelerate the Harley its like playing music. I pull long enough to enjoy the sound in each gear and then change up. All this is possible when you are on congestion free roads. Then you can play the Harley song on full.

For all other roads where I cannot ride the Harley the way I need it to I am liking the lazy thump of the 500. Its such a unhurried experience and allows you the pleasure of enjoying the machinery despite the traffic.

Having said this the 500 is a fine bike in its own right and can be a source of great riding pleasure. The Harley is just richer in every aspect.
DKG is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 14:00   #143
Senior - BHPian

Hi Deepak,

Congrats on your Classic 500

As you said (in a very diplomatic manner) RE is a great machine in its own rights and eminently better suited to typical Indian City ride conditions.

You may know this - in Dubai there is an Authorised Dealer (not the old Nadoo Motors) and an active RE Riders group (Goras and Indians both). They had done three expeditions in Leh etc in the past summer (with support vehicles etc).

I ride often with the group as the dealer is a friend and Triumphs on its own are still less than 5 in nos UAE. Only issue in the ride is that I have to really hold back the Bonnie so as not to hurry the REs, which tend to develope its own peculiarities in speeds in excess of 100 kmph.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 14th November 2011 at 14:01.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 18:16   #144
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. So till the 100 kmph mark the RE's are beautiful and easy riding machines. Something one would love on a Leh trip or any trip in himachal and Kashmir. This is the plus point of RE. No other machine is as relaxed and as sturdy on the broken and non existent roads to Leh. If you have even slightly more power then one starts worrying about the throttle control and has to be careful with the right wrist. In case of the RE, in most places you can safely whack open the throttle knowing things would not be that sudden and you can enjoy the surroundings and just enjoy the ride without worrying.
Don't get me wrong, RE is not a bad bike. I have a machismo 500 and this is why i love it. Its relaxed pace. I just don't need a fast bike to enjoy myself. I can be found riding my machismo 500 just about all the time.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 22:47   #145
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
speeds in excess of 100 kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
So till the 100 kmph mark the RE's are beautiful and easy riding machines
I have found a really sweet spot on the 500. Been too busy enjoying it to notice at what speed that is but will check it out and report. I think its somewhere between 70-80 kmph. Everything becomes super smooth at that speed and the bike feels divine.

As a matter of fact I don't like riding the Harley beyond 80 too. I just love it upto that speed. Beyond 80 the wind becomes an issue and you kind of start losing the Harley sound. The Harley boys want to ride fast but I keep telling them its not the way to enjoy the Harleys. In fairness to them I have had more than my share of crazy speeds on my VFR and now have no interest in riding fast, although when on the VFR the comfort factor sets in at 120-130. Its another story that the VFR is ultra smooth right upto its max which is 240 !!! That's Honda tech for you !!

Quote:
Something one would love on a Leh trip or any trip in himachal and Kashmir. This is the plus point of RE. No other machine is as relaxed and as sturdy on the broken and non existent roads to Leh.
You know this August when I drove through Patnitop in mist covered mountains I told myself I need to travel with a bike. Being deeply in love with India I want to explore the hillstations on a bike. This is part of the reason why I picked up the 500 as I can send it across the country by train when the destination is beyond a 1000 kms. I know riding up in the Himalayas on the 500 would be the closest you can get to biking nirvana. Will do it soon !!!

When you want to enjoy the scenery you need to be on a bike that is comfortable and doesn't demand your attention too much letting you blend into the environment completely. Everytime I ride the Harley its like I am playing a musical instrument. It involves me completely and I lose myself to that glorious sound and ride it in a particular way to enjoy the sound. In the Himalayas I don't want a tussle between the Harley and the mountains. I want to simply focus on the mountains and vistas and for that the 500 would be perfect.
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 17:33   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
I had a question about the brakes - does the SuperLow come with ABS? I think ABS is necessary for such a powerful bike.
IMHO the ABS would seriously reduce the fun factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axp817 View Post
I'd recommend finding a Harley dealer in your area that has rentals (and a lot of dealers do) and renting a Sportster for a day (~$90/day) and then a big twin after that (~$130/day), before making your purchase decision.

Of course, if you're going to get a used one in good condition for a very good price off of something like a Craigs List, you can flip it in a year or so without losing much on it.
Hmm, Harley rentals. Criaglist

From the above statements your location (somewhere) doesn't seem like India to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I have a interesting perspective on the Harley. In every aspect the Harley is just such a richer and deeper experience. Its deeply satiating everytime I ride it. Which is why I don't want to spoil the fun by using it in areas where I can't ride it how I prefer to. When I accelerate the Harley its like playing music. I pull long enough to enjoy the sound in each gear and then change up. All this is possible when you are on congestion free roads. Then you can play the Harley song on full.

For all other roads where I cannot ride the Harley the way I need it to I am liking the lazy thump of the 500. Its such a unhurried experience and allows you the pleasure of enjoying the machinery despite the traffic.

Having said this the 500 is a fine bike in its own right and can be a source of great riding pleasure. The Harley is just richer in every aspect.
So does that mean, 500 would be a better commute and Harley would be a better highway cruiser
captrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 18:23   #147
BANNED

Congratulations! Most of us can only dream of owning the divine Harley Davidson but you have gone ahead and made it a reality. I have been reading this thread and what I gather is that you own a Harley, a RE 500 and a Thar. I think you also owned a Honda sports bike in the past.
One of the things I was wondering was the elimination process for you to pick up a Harley. I own a Thunderbird and have always looked up to Harley. However, there are so many options from the Honda CBR to Ninja and Ducati these days in India, I wouldn't know where to start. May be you could share how you found your way through the plethora of options.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 20:31   #148
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrajesh View Post
So does that mean, 500 would be a better commute and Harley would be a better highway cruiser
I use both as a commute when the weather is pleasant. Both do fine, entirely upto you to choose either as a regular commute.
Old 19th July 2012, 21:02   #149
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
May be you could share how you found your way through the plethora of options.
The first bike I really fell in love with was the Harley Davidson. That was 30 years ago and I simply couldn't afford one. At the same time I also fell for the Honda Sabre, a V four from the Honda stable and a great sounding bike.

In the late 90's when I finally could afford to treat myself to a big bike I went straight to the Harley showroom and test rode one. That was the first time I rode a Harley and it was a springer softail and was disappointed with the ride and crudeness of the whole experience. It didn't put me off Harleys as I loved them for their styling and the sound.

Then as I worked at the Honda showroom in Dubai I went through all the superbikes as the manager looking after the bike showroom was a friend and he encouraged me to try them all out. I rode all the Honda's offered in 1997. Each had a distinct character and excelled at one or the other aspect of performance, handling and comfort. Finally my friend seeing my dilemma suggested I go for an all rounder which gives me the best of everything in a composite package. That was to be the VFR which I still have and love dearly. It's an outstanding machine and the motor is to die for. It's a V four and the performance of this engine is mind blowing. The ride comfort and sportiness of this bike make it an ideal all rounder and 14 years down the line even today when I ride it I am in awe of the depth of it's richness.

Having owned and enjoyed the VFR for so many years I thought it would be nice to try out a Harley again as I am a huge fan of it's sound and appearance. I rode all the bikes at a boot camp and while I think the finest is the RoadKing the budget made me take a serious look at the Super Low. It's now over a year since I've had it and honestly its a darling. Far more refined and chuckable than the bigger Harleys it's a great buy. A week ago I rode one from the dyna series and truthfully didn't like it.

I am a DIY kindof guy which takes me to all kinds of places in the town and more often than not it's a drag going to such places in a car. I kept feeling the need for a scooter as a go anywhere park in front of the shop option. Purely from a utility aspect as a errand bike. I would have bought an Activa for the purpose but it just so happened that a friend wanted to test ride a 500 and I ended up riding the new one. I was very impressed by the ride and loved the looks. it cost triple what an Activa would but I figured even when running errands why not enjoy the ride and that includes drooling over it's styling. So the RE 500 was an easy decision and all three bikes are distinct in their appeal and I wouldn't trade one for the other.

I have ridden almost the entire spectrum of Japanese super and sports bikes including the Ducatis and while they all excel in some aspect or the other they don't appeal strong enough for me to want to trade in the VFR for any of them.

I am not into racing so the litre bikes with their blistering performance is not for me. I don't enjoy very high speed riding. To me it's the pleasure of the machinery and how it delivers power in short bursts which draws me in.

You just need to try out various bikes and then decide. If you want a general purpose bike which is more of a all rounder then the naked street bikes are the ones for you.

I do feel it's a very individual thing as what appeals to me may not appeal to you. Do keep in mind that Indian roads simply don't offer you the space whereby the hardcore super bikes come into their own. i feel the street bikes are a much nicer option and more useable.

Hope this helps

Last edited by DKG : 19th July 2012 at 21:07.
Old 19th July 2012, 22:00   #150
BANNED

DKG-That's a great response. Loved reading it. Thank you very much.
You are a lucky man to own such fine machines. I don't know about bikes beyond Royal Enfields but will definitely read up on the Hondas and Ducatis before taking the plunge. I have always been smitten by Harleys but I feel having one cruiser and another sports bike would be the ideal diversification, before picking up a Harley. I will research into the Honda VFR for sure.

You've definitely got BHP

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 19th July 2012 at 22:02.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote