Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 2nd July 2011, 14:40   #46
BHPian

Default Re: A Harley dream comes true !!

Congratulations DKG sir on your HOG acquisition.

I just came across this thread and was very happy to see your bike.

Cheers
girishpv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:12   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

DKG, Heartiest congratulations on your Harley! Buying such an iconic brand has got to be a special moment. Do ride safe. I've been sitting on the fence WRT buying a sports bike, and such threads always push me that much closer to signing on the dotted line. Considering that they are available officially in India now, there's no headache of shady grey market dealers either.

I must say, you have one heck of an interesting garage. I love the way you carefully choose your steeds, each of them reflective of your personality in some way or the other.

Perhaps, we can be treated to a panoramic picture that includes all your cars & bikes parked next to each other?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

Deepak, Heartiest Congratulations on living your dream & here's wishing you thousands of kilometers of pure nirvana!

Awesome presence the Harley has, simply unmatchable
suman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:45   #49
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've been sitting on the fence WRT buying a sports bike, and such threads always push me that much closer to signing on the dotted line.
Just go for it GTO !! Being a hardcore enthusiast this is a pleasure you simply should not miss. Do check out the thread on the superbike rides around Hyderabad. Some amazing machinery covered in there.
Quote:
I must say, you have one heck of an interesting garage. I love the way you carefully choose your steeds, each of them reflective of your personality in some way or the other.
When choices get driven by passion as I know it is the case with you and so many of our friends here, invariably our cars and bikes will as you rightly say reflect our persona.
Quote:
Perhaps, we can be treated to a panoramic picture that includes all your cars & bikes parked next to each other?
Wonderful idea !! As soon as the Thar joins the garage will do just that

Last edited by DKG : 3rd July 2011 at 14:50.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:19   #50
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
can the handle bar be lowered from the current position ???/
Yes it can. They align it with the forks when delivered but its pretty easy to tweak the setting to your liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
1. How's the sound?
2. That deep mahroon looks a lot like black?
3. Total OTR price? any discounts/freebies?
4. Accessories planned? any photos of those accessories?
Stock pipes are muted for sound level norms. After the first service I plan on fitting the Stage 1 Screaming Eagle pipes to get the sound for which Harleys are so known for

The colour is so deep that it does look like black late evening and in artificial light

In Hyderabad the bike has costed me Rs 6.5 lacs on road. On account of a longstanding association with a senior official at Harley and the fact that I gave them a huge biker address list in Hyderabad Harley gifted me a beautiful full face helmet. BTW I wouldn't be surprised if other customers have benefitted so too, just that I happen to know someone at Harley too.

Accessories planned are:

Screaming Eagle pipes
Foot pegs of a better finish than what comes as standard
Chrome tank strip
Leather saddle bag for long journeys
Temp guage oil cap
Air horm
Axle caps
Engine nut chrome caps
Etched Leather seat

Not decided yet on:

Front foot pegs and controls
Auxillary lights
Pillion seat (to be used only when needed)
Acrylic windscreen deflector for long distance journeys

Quote:
By the time I have money to burn, my fire will have burnt out. Luckily your fire is still burning.... and so is mine...
You need to fuel that passion periodically and indulge yourself for it to keep burning !! I know just how to tweak mine to levels which then literally keep me going for a decade or so. That after 13 years of ownership I still love my VFR and still wouldn't trade it for anything shows how much joy and pleasure that machine allows me everytime I ride it. The Harley too will unravel knew avenues of pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
but why not the Iron ?
The big Harleys that made the first impressions on me were all chromed and retro. I am not a fan of Black denim. If the Iron had other colours and more chrome I would have unhesitatingly bought that. Its a great bike and I like its styling. Plus you have better ground clearance.

The Super Low is a typical Harley in the tradition of chrome and retro and love its detailing. Phenomenal stuff. Also that it was Rs 1 lac cheaper made it out to be a better VFM proposition as compared to the Iron. The engines are the same, so paying Rs 1 lac more for ground clearance and Black Denim was really not enticing enough.

Last edited by DKG : 3rd July 2011 at 15:20.
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

DKG: COngrats. SO the Thar is on the next buy list

Really nice ride and i can totally understand your emotions. Must have been like a Kid celebrating his 1yr bday.

The cake was a really nice gesture.

Could you post a video of how it sounds. Gosh am so grammatically incorrect. Could you put the sound of the bike on youtube
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 16:24   #52
BHPian

Congratulations DKG sir. I am also a big fan of Harleys and I was following every bit of updates from the date of Alfonso Mango vs Harley news item.

I feel the 883s offer the best value in Indian context, apart from the styling, I think they are the best for the Indian driving conditions. I am a big fan of tourers, and the big sports bikes are not my cup of tea. I always had this lingering doubt in my mind that at 43, whether I am too old for such a bike (infact my riding experience is limited to the Bullet350 I was riding between 16 and 24), still I really like to have one as and when my finances permit.

Currently waiting for their Kochi dealership to open, so that I can get a first hand feel of those machines, planning to get one of them in next 2-3 years. In the mean time glued to your thread for the updates and your riding experience. Kindly update your thread as and when time permits. Congratulations once again.
AjiGTI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 21:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Deepak on the awesome buy. I too have been contemplating getting one of the super lows simply because of my awe for Harleys (have to admit the awe was more for the Fat Boy but thats too much money for weekend fun, as you put it) In fact i almost went and booked one but again the thought appeared to me, am i doing justice to the money i will spend? So i went and got myself a MM550 Still it may not be long before i read on your thread and get tempted to bring one of these beauties home. What worries me is the low GC and the scraping of the foot rests at turns. That is a bit dangerous isn't it?
In the meanwhile enjoy your awesome ride.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 23:39   #54
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
What worries me is the low GC and the scraping of the foot rests at turns. That is a bit dangerous isn't it?
I think its only a matter of adapting your riding style to suit the bike. I know I will quickly learn to not lean the bike as I normally do the VFR and become more wary of dips and bumps in road surfaces as it could cause more things to scrape. Today I found myself opting for the side of the road to bypass a speedbreaker. You simply learn to stop expecting the Super Low to go over a speedbreaker

Its a small tradeoff for the pleasure both in riding and the visual delight it affords. The bike is a real gem of a Harley and at its price super VFM.

I know these are the tradeoffs on supercars too so for me its not a very big issue that I need to avoid speedbreakers in order to enjoy the Super Low without scraping the belly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
SO the Thar is on the next buy list
Yes the Thar it is for my India road travels and expeditions !!

Quote:
Could you post a video of how it sounds.
The stock silencers are too muted, as soon as I change to Screaming Eagles will take a video and post (that reminds me I need to get a good digital cam).

Last edited by DKG : 3rd July 2011 at 23:41.
Old 4th July 2011, 05:12   #55
BHPian

Congrats on your new possession.
Few cosmetic mods which enhances your MC look

Lay down license plate (must,must,must)
Remove the reflectors from the back
Forward control

Performace:
Definitely get dynabeads & put it on your tires & remove the wheel weights (its day & night difference).

Finally select a theme with HD and enhance it, it'll look lot cooler

Last edited by shrini78 : 4th July 2011 at 05:14.
shrini78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 12:29   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations DKG. Fab bike for a fab man - the combo looks terrific. Got to see this in the flesh - hope to meet you at Hyderabad in November!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 13:39   #57
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Congrats on your new possession.
Few cosmetic mods which enhances your MC look

Lay down license plate (must,must,must)
Remove the reflectors from the back
Forward control

Performace:
Definitely get dynabeads & put it on your tires & remove the wheel weights (its day & night difference).

Finally select a theme with HD and enhance it, it'll look lot cooler
Interesting suggestions, will check them out. The plate they have in the store is not a lay down, may have to order it.

Will explore your suggestion on the dynabeads (never heard of it maybe you could throw more light on how they improve balance
Old 4th July 2011, 13:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Will explore your suggestion on the dynabeads (never heard of it maybe you could throw more light on how they improve balance
Deepak Ji, as far as I have heard. These are small beads, which are put in your tyres. These rotate freely as per your tyre and these tend to create a balance in the tyre as opposed to using weights to balance the tyres. These do it automatically and also tend to improve the stability of the vehicle. Hope the DynaBeads gurus can throw more light on this.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 19:18   #59
BHPian

@ DKG whatever traveloholic mentioned is right.
I've used it in US & our memeber "gthang" uses here.
Prolly he will be the best person to ask for when it comes to where to find it in IND or where to source from.
You can also check the site for more info

Dyna Beads for Motorcycle Riders and Dealers
shrini78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 19:33   #60
BHPian

Would love to work on that 883 cc motor, just need a willing 'murga'. DKG are you planning on a Stage 1 mod's soon? You could easily take your 883->1200.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote