Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 15th July 2011, 00:43   #106
BHPian

Default Re: A Harley dream comes true !!

Data from Bombay showroom

Booking amount : 50k (fully refundable)
Waiting period : 6-8 months (80 superlows already booked in town)
Service : every 6 months around 5-6k including consumables
Screaming Eagles exhaust : around 25k
rear seat: 7-8k
full seat : 20-40k

FE : as mentioned by DKG sir earlier, around 18-20kmpl if driven sedately at 60 kmph
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 08:25   #107
Senior - BHPian

That's nice piece of info I may not go behind performance parts just factory stock bike is enough for me as of now, only waiting period is looking bit on higher side but it's OK at least when it's a question of iconic Harley Davidson name when Jap players are asking to wait for 3-4 months for small scooters.
What's the service interval in terms of miles covered?
Mileage is also good and it should not matter when its going to be weekend bike and one should not ask also when its Harley Davidson(my poor RD's hardly puts 12-15 KMPL)
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:37   #108
NIP
Senior - BHPian

DKG congrats the 883 looks fantastic !!! One question...with such a low ground clearence, are long road trips out of the question on the superlow? How is it possible to ride this on Indian roads with speed breakers like walls ??!
NIP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:54   #109
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
How is it possible to ride this on Indian roads with speed breakers like walls ??!
Fortunately in India where there's a road and a suspension breaker you have off the road too Lately I've just been bypassing speedbreakers as its pointless to try crossing them. Ofcourse if you try doing it at an angle then it works but in traffic situation you can't always have that luxury of taking up space sideways
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 14:12   #110
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Fortunately in India where there's a road and a suspension breaker you have off the road too Lately I've just been bypassing speedbreakers as its pointless to try crossing them. Ofcourse if you try doing it at an angle then it works but in traffic situation you can't always have that luxury of taking up space sideways
Sure I understand what you're saying, but what about a long road trip, like say Hyd-Goa ? Is it possible on this machine ??
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 15:17   #111
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
what about a long road trip, like say Hyd-Goa ?
I think its possible and I will be doing a few long trips. I would be running out of leave post my Ladakh trip otherwise the plan was to ride the bike to Coonoor this September. That will be a 2000 km round trip. Will do a Hyd-Goa trip too and one to Hampi
Old 15th July 2011, 22:15   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think its possible and I will be doing a few long trips. I would be running out of leave post my Ladakh trip otherwise the plan was to ride the bike to Coonoor this September. That will be a 2000 km round trip. Will do a Hyd-Goa trip too and one to Hampi
Guess with a 17 liter tank capacity should not be much of a pain with frequent stops.
Ladakh trip --> Sounds interesting, would that be on the HD or your Thar?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 22:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

Here is the Detailed Price List and Finance quote I received from Harley Davidson
Attached Files
File Type: xls Harley Davidson Updated Pricelist 2011-12.06.xls (68.5 KB, 781 views)
File Type: xls FIN QUOTE FR mr dhiraj s.low.xls (508.5 KB, 530 views)

Last edited by dkaile : 15th July 2011 at 22:28.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 22:58   #114
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Harley is two weeks old and just past 300 km and the Thar just a week old and only 170 km. Once I complete the first service and another 1000 kms then both will head out for long rides/drives. For this trip will be using a Scorpio from Mahindra Adventure
Old 15th July 2011, 23:37   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess with a 17 liter tank capacity should not be much of a pain with frequent stops.
Mahesh,

The range of 883 is about 200 KM at sustained speeds above 120 KMH. In our group in Dubai, there is a 883 Nightster and our fueling stops are often dictated by it.

Probably at an average speed of less than 100 KMH, it can improve by about 20%

These day at laest in South India I am told that there is fueing station in every district and most of it are separated by a maximum of 160 KMH. Hence, the longs shouldn't be a problem.

Best Regards and Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 00:04   #116
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Ram for the long rides we will have the Harley-Davidson service van trailing us with fuel and refreshments

Have already made arrangements with the dealership and they have agreed to it. We have a couple of 8 litre peanut tank Forty Eights so needed to plan for them too.

I actually thought about "in ride" refuelling like the airforce too, but I think we'll settle for pit stops !

Last edited by DKG : 16th July 2011 at 00:06.
Old 16th July 2011, 07:59   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ram for the long rides we will have the Harley-Davidson service van trailing us with fuel and refreshments
Dont take me wrong long distance riding is another form of adventure where you ought to explore the new avenues, challenges that come in the way. Trying out new food, new stuff enriches your self. Dont we think with all these facilities we are riding just for the sake of it?
Do not mean to hurt/brush egos here but this is my 2 cents.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 10:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way to increase the 100mm ground clearance of the superlow?
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 11:32   #119
BHPian

There is a possibility of changing the existing rear shock's to the Harley Nightster Shocks, Nightster has 120mm clearance and for a solo rider there has never been a problem in taking the speed bumps,i had problems when i had a passenger.otherwise its good to go.
freakrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 12:15   #120
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
long distance riding is another form of adventure where you ought to explore the new avenues
When on a 240 km run to a place like Srisailam where there are very few pumps and many a time out of petrol with only diesel what new avenues do you suggest we explore? Once while returning from Srisailam my VFR almost ran out of fuel as most pumps were out of petrol. Trust me its no fun riding worrying about the bike stopping in the middle of nowhere ! And the VFR is a tourer with a large 22 litre tank. Can you imagine what would happen to bikes with small tanks?

The Forty Eight has just a 8 litre tank. The entire ride will go for a toss if one rider gets stranded. Adventure to me is not about worrying about whether I will find fuel. Its about exploring the Indian countryside and enjoying it. Being organised in terms of carrying fuel doesn't lessen the adventure in any way in my opinion. Besides I prefer riding a bike without a load on my back, would anyday prefer the clothes and essentials are in the truck on a long journey. As for trying out new cuisine along the rode in the superbike group we ate food off roadside dhabas. If we have a truck following with fuel, some nice refreshments can come along and it only makes the ride so much more enjoyable

Last edited by DKG : 16th July 2011 at 12:29.
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote