Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 16th July 2011, 16:19   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A Harley dream comes true !!

Hi Mahesh,

Idea of a long ride - DKG has put it very nicely in his post # 120 below. I fully second that.

Another 15 or so summers down the line you will also second that.

Hey ! I am no old goat !!! Have done a stretch of about 1200 Km in about 20 hours recently (you really know how old I am)

When I am in B,lore for good (hopefully soon) we will ride to HYD to visit DKG & Co. I am sure your RD 350 A will be all setteled dowm for full action by then

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 17:14   #122
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
When I am in B,lore for good (hopefully soon) we will ride to HYD to visit DKG & Co.
Wow ! Now that's what I would eventually like to see happening. Friends riding across India to meetup atleast once a year on bikes. Sounds like a plan. We have a phenomenal road connecting Hyd and Bangalore now, you will love it !!

BTW are you aware Triumph is heading to India soon?

Last edited by DKG : 16th July 2011 at 17:17.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 17:39   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Wow ! Now that's what I would eventually like to see happening. Friends riding across India to meetup atleast once a year on bikes. Sounds like a plan. We have a phenomenal road connecting Hyd and Bangalore now, you will love it !!

DKG do count me in.
Waiting for my HD to arrive next month from container.

Will hit you up from Chennai to Hyd once the dust settles down
shrini78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 18:32   #124
BHPian

DKG - lets meet up. I'm in Bangalore...you decide when/where. I'm planning to ride Tirupati - let me know if you are interested.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 21:07   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
When I am in B,lore for good (hopefully soon) we will ride to HYD to visit DKG & Co. I am sure your RD 350 A will be all setteled dowm for full action by then
Ram
Ram,
Shall look forward for your move into Bangalore, and yes my RD 350 should be done and dusted with the ride in by that time. Probably might have a choice between 2 bikes to select for the rides

Quote:
When on a 240 km run to a place like Srisailam where there are very few pumps and many a time out of petrol with only diesel what new avenues do you suggest we explore?
DKG,
Please do not take me wrong here as mentioned earlier and my apologies as well if i have rubbed you the wrong way. Probably your thoughts are different from mine, and yes have been stranded many a times on my Rajyam during my travel days. Have faced quite a few mechanical problems as well which did spawn new thoughts (who would think of using a condom for a kick spring failure?) Yes punctures are a pain to handle especially on a 2 wheeler(Imagine a lanky lad requesting strange truckers for hitch to next town to get a mechanic when i was stranded in the sathyamangala forest range on my return from Coimbatore) But yes have mellowed down a bit and would like to be best prepared to handle such situations myself rather than being too or adventurous.
Could be that my age (32) is failing to understand your reasoning/line of thought.
Hopefully will bump into you one of these days if things go well as mentioned by Ram

Take care till then and safe riding
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 22:31   #126
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Please do not take me wrong here
I haven't Usually in a group we all become collectively responsible for each other and so even if someone doesn't believe in planning for contingencies a breakdown or running out of fuel will affect everyone and its just not fair when we can avoid something but fail to plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
DKG - lets meet up. I'm in Bangalore...you decide when/where. I'm planning to ride Tirupati - let me know if you are interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Will hit you up from Chennai to Hyd once the dust settles down
It would be a total riot to meet up like that. This year my leave gets over with the Ladakh trip this month end but January onwards I am game

Last edited by DKG : 16th July 2011 at 22:36.
Old 17th July 2011, 14:30   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

DKG,

Thanks for the heads up on the Triumph. I am very much aware of it and have posted on the relavent threads as well.

(On a fuuny note: - The other day I was having a chat with a like minded friend about Triumphs being available in India soon. His 19 year old son and wife who were listening in started vehemently stating that Triumphs are already in India - suddenly it hit me. We were talking about the bikes and the good lady and the sone were talking about the lady's clothing/ug brand Triumph. No doubt all of us had a good laugh and was pulling the boy's leg for rest of the evening)

As of now my plan is to bring my Bonnie with me to Blore. I am planning to pack her up now with the 15 K on the odo (no more long rides). I have my eyes set on a Honda Night Hawak 750 - 1998 model in faurly good condition. Want to get that and use it as my use in Dubai, untli I return.

I am now in India and will talk to the Night Hawk owner once I get back

Wish me all the best

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 17th July 2011 at 14:33.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 21:04   #128
BHPian

Congratulations DKG on your Harley and welcome to HOG. Loved the detailed pics.

Quote:
I think its possible and I will be doing a few long trips. I would be running out of leave post my Ladakh trip otherwise the plan was to ride the bike to Coonoor this September. That will be a 2000 km round trip. Will do a Hyd-Goa trip too and one to Hampi
Let me know if you are going for Ladakh trip next year on your Harley. I would like to join

I am ready to join for Hampi too

Quote:
When on a 240 km run to a place like Srisailam where there are very few pumps and many a time out of petrol with only diesel what new avenues do you suggest we explore? Once while returning from Srisailam my VFR almost ran out of fuel as most pumps were out of petrol. Trust me its no fun riding worrying about the bike stopping in the middle of nowhere ! And the VFR is a tourer with a large 22 litre tank. Can you imagine what would happen to bikes with small tanks?

The Forty Eight has just a 8 litre tank. The entire ride will go for a toss if one rider gets stranded. Adventure to me is not about worrying about whether I will find fuel. Its about exploring the Indian countryside and enjoying it. Being organised in terms of carrying fuel doesn't lessen the adventure in any way in my opinion. Besides I prefer riding a bike without a load on my back, would anyday prefer the clothes and essentials are in the truck on a long journey. As for trying out new cuisine along the rode in the superbike group we ate food off roadside dhabas. If we have a truck following with fuel, some nice refreshments can come along and it only makes the ride so much more enjoyable
Well said. Much worse is riding during nights.
sridhar_setty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 11:10   #129
BHPian

Congrats DKG, I hope you are not having a tough time choosing between the VFR and the Harley . 5* is too less for your ownership thread, I am following it keenly.

How are you going to manage long rides with such a small gas tank? This was a concern I had, when I was contemplating buying the superlow.
downsouth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 13:22   #130
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
How are you going to manage long rides with such a small gas tank?
17 litres is a decent tank size on the Super Low. At a conservative mileage it should give me a minimum of 200+ kms cruising range. Invariably in India in most parts one should come up to a petrol bunk within 100 kms.

The problem is more with the 1200s which have a 12 litre tank and the real scary one is the Forty Eight with 8 litres. These really need to worry.

On main highways I think you have a petrol station at every 50 kms minimum, so on national highways even the Forty Eight should be able to manage. One of our HOGS just went to Cuddapah and back from Hyd recently on his Forty Eight

Last edited by DKG : 21st July 2011 at 13:24.
Old 4th August 2011, 13:09   #131
Senior - BHPian

Hi DKG,

It's been a long time.
How is the riding comfort, FE, engine vibrations?

I took a test ride of the Hyosung ST-7 and the seating comfort was amazing, so were the brakes, but the engine was noisy and vibrations were not pleasant. My 2001 Suzuki Fiero is an amazing engine.

Please post detailed review, I am waiting.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 11:43   #132
BHPian

nice pics...I can imagine the happiness you must've got when you saw the crate arrive for the first time in front of your eyes.
I know how that feels!
mustangcollectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 18:53   #133
BHPian

This is super news! Congrats to you. I was in USA year 2008 and had rented a new Sportster (883) for a week. Loved riding the bike every day for miles n miles.

I really envy you... a Harley and a Thar back to back in your garage!

Ride hard, Ride safe!

Rgds
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 19:10   #134
BHPian

[quote=VW2010;2413694

All said and done, when you ride a fat boy (which i rented once for an insane amount for a day trip) you know what you want. .[/quote]

I paid rentals of $ 415/- per day for 6 days ! Yes it was INSANE but worth every dollar and every mile of riding on the beautiful country roads in Washington State. After all I was riding a HARLEY !
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 18:39   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
I paid rentals of $ 415/- per day for 6 days ! Yes it was INSANE but worth every dollar and every mile of riding on the beautiful country roads in Washington State. After all I was riding a HARLEY !
Not sure why you had to pay that kind of money for a Sportster.

Sportsters are usually $90 - $110 a day, and big twins are $125 - $170. Plus, you get discounted rates if you rent for longer than a day.
axp817 is offline   Reply With Quote