Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 7th August 2011, 16:15   #46
BANNED

Default Re: Questions after booking the 2011 HD XL1200X Forty Eight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avneeshj View Post
The gear I have bought so far consists of 1 set of jacket and helmet each for my wife and I and a pair of gloves for me. I have decided to get a good leather riding jacket whenever I travel abroad next.

Wife's Helmet
My Helmet
My Jacket in black
My gloves in black

I already have one half helmet from HD and am also getting myself a pair of Oakley wind jackets.
Hi there.

Good selection of gear. The Oakleys really got my eye.

Can I suggest an often overlooked, but essential part of riding gear:

Cortech :: Textile Pants :: DSX Denim Pants

Riding pants. Check these out from Cortech. Look like regular jeans, but with hidden protection.

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 16:57   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
just might go with the dealer's mode of transport since he is most confident with that, even though it's a little bit more than GATI's quote
if i recollect dealership will charge you to & fro rates from Delhi to Nagpur - whereas you can easily get a TATA 407 at much lower rates from Delhi - they ask for fixed rate mostly based on one way distance as they will either be returning back to Nagpur after dropping cargo at Delhi or vice-versa . If you need any reference of Transporter in Delhi do let me know . I will suggest you to come to Delhi and get the bike packed & loaded in front of you and if you can have some staff from your factory ask him to come in Truck with bike . I recently transported my bike from Gurgaon to Chandigarh - could have driven but the road conditions are not very good . I got the bike loaded in Gurgaon using a ramp at service station and tied it with ropes firmly .. absolutely safe but if they are giving you in crate then you will have to use a forklift but i think they will give you crate only if you use there truck!

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th August 2011 at 17:01.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 20:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The gear
Avneesh,
The gear looks pretty good, and wanted to check on the pant which Gthang has already put up for your kind reference. You are importing the stuff using USPS.com? All the best hope its a smooth reaching consignment.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 20:53   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Hi there.

Good selection of gear. The Oakleys really got my eye.

Can I suggest an often overlooked, but essential part of riding gear:

Cortech :: Textile Pants :: DSX Denim Pants

Riding pants. Check these out from Cortech. Look like regular jeans, but with hidden protection.

Ride Safe.
The jeans are a pretty good idea. I might order a pair soon. Thanks for the tip. I'll try and find more pants of similar kinds to see different designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
if i recollect dealership will charge you to & fro rates from Delhi to Nagpur - whereas you can easily get a TATA 407 at much lower rates from Delhi - they ask for fixed rate mostly based on one way distance as they will either be returning back to Nagpur after dropping cargo at Delhi or vice-versa . If you need any reference of Transporter in Delhi do let me know . I will suggest you to come to Delhi and get the bike packed & loaded in front of you and if you can have some staff from your factory ask him to come in Truck with bike . I recently transported my bike from Gurgaon to Chandigarh - could have driven but the road conditions are not very good . I got the bike loaded in Gurgaon using a ramp at service station and tied it with ropes firmly .. absolutely safe but if they are giving you in crate then you will have to use a forklift but i think they will give you crate only if you use there truck!
Thanks for the tip Turbanator. Let me talk to the guys in my office tomorrow. I had asked them to find details from transporters regarding the 407. I'll PM you if I need help with that. Thanks for the offer.

As far as the crate goes, the dealer is charging me for the metal base plus the covering crate with it. That crate I'll keep in my factory just in case I need to transport the bike again ever. So I can get that regardless of whether I arrange for transport or he does. They have also given me a separate price for arranging a forklift at their workshop to load the bike. GATI's quote includes the forklift at both ends in the price. Forklift is not an issue as I am taking delivery in my factory where I have forklifts. I'll also check the possibility of sending a man in the truck. As far as getting the bike loaded and packed, my office guys will be there to get that done as I am not sure if I'll get the time to go to Delhi around then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Avneesh,
The gear looks pretty good, and wanted to check on the pant which Gthang has already put up for your kind reference. You are importing the stuff using USPS.com? All the best hope its a smooth reaching consignment.
I have ordered all the stuff using RIDERS DISCOUNT: Motorcycle Accessories, Motorcycle Helmets & Gear as they charge the $25 flat rate to India. Yes they use USPS so it's not as fast as FedEx or UPS but it's cheap for sure. I was going to order from MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More! but their shipping was coming to be more expensive plus they didn't have a couple things that I wanted. I have gotten used to ordering stuff online so I'm prepared for most things they can throw my way.
avneeshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 13:47   #50
BHPian

I got a surprise call from the dealer this morning. My motorcycle has made it to Delhi from the factory and is ready for delivery once accessory fitment and PDI is done. So I think I should be able to get it shipped from there within next couple of days once temporary registration is done.

My gear isn't even here yet. Starting to get mega excited now. The next 3-4 days will be tough.
Old 8th August 2011, 23:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Wow good stuff mate, hopefully getting it by this friday is possible considering the long weekend which might make your wait even longer. Were you able to decide on the mode of transport from Delhi to Nagpur?
Old 9th August 2011, 09:07   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd
Wow good stuff mate, hopefully getting it by this friday is possible considering the long weekend which might make your wait even longer. Were you able to decide on the mode of transport from Delhi to Nagpur?
Yeah the idea is to get it to Nagpur before this weekend. I'm using GATI for the transport bit. Hoping to get the bike despatched by tomorrow latest. So close yet so far!

The Screaming Eagle exhaust, heat shield and side mount license plate are still in transit so they'll be installed at first service.
Old 11th August 2011, 23:19   #53
BHPian

The HOG is on it's way to Nagpur. I ended up going with a private truck as advised by my dealer as the GATI guys were gonna load unload my bike at least 3 times on it's way here at different warehouses and that didn't inspire confidence in me. This truck has left this afternoon and will be coming straight to my factory. They have said 5 days maximum so this weekend looks like a bleak possibility.

I'll keep this thread updated and will post pics soon.
Old 16th August 2011, 15:02   #54
BHPian

It's here! Time to go riding! More pics and impressions to come soon.
Attached Images

Old 16th August 2011, 15:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Great! Congratz on your beauty. Do treat us with lot more pictures and a review soon.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 15:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's here! Time to go riding! More pics and impressions to come soon.
Congrats Avneesh, do i read your photo well that you have got Michelin tires on the 48? Happy logging miles which will stretch that smile across : ear to ear
Do post in regular updates and yes some photos.
Old 16th August 2011, 18:18   #57
BHPian

congrats on the buy wish you have a hassle free ride.
awaiting for lot more pics of your HOG and some ride reports soon
BulZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 20:27   #58
BHPian

Congratulations. Take care of the beauty and ride safe. Hope to meet you during a ride :-)
sridhar_setty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 12:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Great! Congratz on your beauty. Do treat us with lot more pictures and a review soon.
Thanks theexperthand! I plan on doing a long photo session with my DSLR this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congrats Avneesh, do i read your photo well that you have got Michelin tires on the 48? Happy logging miles which will stretch that smile across : ear to ear
Do post in regular updates and yes some photos.
Thanks ku69rd. Your inputs have been great so far and very helpful. Yes the 48 comes with Michelin tires. All the newer model year Sportsters come with Michelins except for the XR1200X which still has Dunlops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
congrats on the buy wish you have a hassle free ride.
awaiting for lot more pics of your HOG and some ride reports soon
Thanks Bulzire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_setty View Post
Congratulations. Take care of the beauty and ride safe. Hope to meet you during a ride :-)
Thanks sri!

I finally got around to unwrapping the bike at around 8:15 PM due to a very heavy workload at the office and nonstop meetings till then. Just knowing that it stood outside and I could walk out any moment and ride was too much. It was difficult but slogged it out in the office and then stepped out and got it unwrapped right in front of me. I rode it back from the factory all the way home and it was quite an experience. I had to adjust to the nuances of riding a motorcycle in India and even more so of the super dusty pot holed streets of the industrial area where my factory is.

So far the odo reads 48 kms and its been an absolute blast. I have been careful about the run in procedure and doing it just as the owner's manual suggests. I was out riding last night with the wife and then the low fuel light turned on and it was time to head back home. I am at the office and can't wait to get home and get out on the bike again.

Few impressions in the initial couple rides:
  • The seat is mighty uncomfortable. I have the stock seat and I can safely say that the 8 liter tank on this bike is not the limiting factor while riding. I hope it breaks in and becomes a bit more comfortable or else I have to look at a replacement.
  • The high beam light reaches out very far but leaves the immediate road in front of me dimly lit. The low beam lights this up perfect but the throw is very short. I don't know what to do about this.
I am still getting used to the engine and transmission and would be able to comment on it once I ride it a bit more. The bike is loud enough with the stock exhausts but I can't wait to get my screaming eagles. Thankfully I only had to stop at one traffic light on my rides yesterday and in the <30 seconds 3 people asked me 3 different questions.

Am loving every second of my bike and can't wait to go and ride it some more. I am attaching a pic that I took in the morning while leaving for work. As mentioned earlier, many many more to come on the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions after booking the 2011 HD XL1200X Forty Eight!-fr_8042.jpg  

Old 17th August 2011, 14:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ku69rd.
She looks amazing in black and looks like you have already put on accessories!!! Good Stuff Avneesh, do post us regular updates and be careful with the ride.
How does she behave with doubles on? how do you find the suspension?