Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 2nd February 2012, 16:56   #16
BHPian

Default Re: How a SBK handles

@Gto - A litre bike would definitely not be so chuckable simply because you ll need much more throttle modulation and excess effort to balance weight. This is a specifically designed close circuit to show the handling characteristics of a 600cc. Put the 600cc and a 1000 cc on a normal race track and the litre class would beat the 600 cc due to higher exit corner speed and straights. Then again , it comes down to the rider. I have seen a r6 dude defeat a gsxr1000 guy on a circuit because he had better understanding of what line to take to enter and exit corners.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:57   #17
BHPian

I think it all depends upon the skill and balance of the rider, than the motorcycle.
See this video of a guy doing a similar thing in a harley

jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 18:17   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would it be safe to presume that the 600 is far more agile than a 1 liter? Would it be possible to chuck a liter bike in this manner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
@Gto - A litre bike would definitely not be so chuckable simply because you ll need much more throttle modulation and excess effort to balance weight. This is a specifically designed close circuit to show the handling characteristics of a 600cc. Put the 600cc and a 1000 cc on a normal race track and the litre class would beat the 600 cc due to higher exit corner speed and straights. Then again , it comes down to the rider. I have seen a r6 dude defeat a gsxr1000 guy on a circuit because he had better understanding of what line to take to enter and exit corners.
The likes of K Rajni & Dilip Roger have posted faster lap times on a 600 and when there was an open round in the National Championship, they used to run rings around the 1000's. I would say the nature of MMST's is to be held responsible. Kari is more free flowing, right? Can't wait to see how bikes fair on the Buddha Circuit.

1000's are not for street either, but throttle control/modulation is of extreme importance on these.

I personally feel that the likes of GSX-R-750, Ducati 848, Triumph 675 Daytona would make for awesome street Motorcycles (faired version) Agile with enough torque for street, though bikes like the '12 CBR-1000RR & S-1000RR have bridged the gap, though the price gap widens. Depends what you need.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

As promised earlier, here is the video link.

I would love to get a hang of this. Awesome control even at low speeds, superb throttle control and body balance.

Edit - some more similar video's here. Pay special attention to the knee down ones.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd February 2012 at 21:49.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
I am not sure why no one has noticed that the standard CLIP-ON handlebars have been replaced with wider ones. This enhances flickable control of the bike.
All the stunt bikes never have the standard clip-on handlebars.
Although, the rider has amazing control over the bike nevertheless.
You're absolutely right and +1 on that. Its the handle bar that's making all the difference. And yes the rider for sure has skills, But its impossible for anyone to do that kind of precision work on factory clip ons.
jalex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

The mantra for this kind of control is slightly less air pressure on rear trye and watch the video carefully he is drifting the bike while taking turns to make it sharp and easy, not everyones cake but practice makes it possible.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:18   #22
BHPian

I guess, in India, another reason of not pushing a superbike and exploring it's cornering/handling limits could be the THE FEAR OF DAMAGING THE BIKE.

To give you an example, a friend of mine had a Yamaha R6 a couple of years ago. He imported it from Australia after he finished his studies there and returned to India (To our hometown Ooty.)

He was no short of a brilliant rider, whenever he rode my RD 350 up to Dodebetta (Highest peak in the Nilgiris) he would scrape the footpegs around almost all corners.

But the story was different when he was on his R6, I would literally trash him on a drag up to the peak on my RD 350

When I asked him why he rode so slow around corners he said "Dai Macha, what if, by chance I lose it over a corner. Forget me getting hurt, but if the bike gets hurt am screwed man. Atleast your RD can be done up without much of an expence."

So, i guess "FEAR" could be one reason no?
aadithsince1980 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:01   #23
BHPian

@aadith - What you looking at is a closed circuit course specifically designed for the purpose at hand. Secondly if you have fear of bending the bike you would not do such a course in the first place. Lastly , you cannot take such extreme lean angles on the streets. You are inviting trouble.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
@aadith - What you looking at is a closed circuit course specifically designed for the purpose at hand. Secondly if you have fear of bending the bike you would not do such a course in the first place. Lastly , you cannot take such extreme lean angles on the streets. You are inviting trouble.
That's exactly what I meant, which is why I mentioned "In India" in my post. Because here, we don't have many closed circuits to hone our skills.

And being over enthusiastic on our roads can have disastrous consiquences. I was mentioning that fear of damaging the bike could be one of the aspects on not honing your skills.

For example lets take this senario: God forbid, had my friend (On his R6) been a little over enthu and crashed his bike! Bikes damaged and he's ok. Here's what he has to go through:

1) The trauma of crashing a bike worth xxx lacs
2) No service station/workshop skilled enough in Ooty to repair the bike
3) Got to load the bike on a truck to get it to the closest skilled workshop e.g. Joes Garage in bangalore which is 280 km away (Transport expence again)
4) Joe does'nt have spares in store, got to order it from abroad.
5) A neverending wait for spares and god knows how much money spent for it.

In the case of the above senario, I'd better be safe than sorry right

That's what i meant by saying that the 'fear factor' could be one of, again am stressing on ONE OF the reasons that people dont dare to hone their stills, here in India

Last edited by aadithsince1980 : 3rd February 2012 at 11:51.
aadithsince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:55   #25
BHPian

These Gymkhana videos are really good . The CBR is completely souped up . Check out the sprocket too.
degenr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 12:26   #26
BHPian

Does part of the technique also involve striking a fine balance between keeping the motor revved high while keeping the rear brake part-depressed? Happy to hear from someone who is knowledgeable of this space. If anyone's tried slow-cycling in their younger days, you'd know what i'm referring to.
ravi_xx is offline   Reply With Quote