Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 26th February 2013, 09:53   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Harley Davidson SuperLow XL883 L Finally arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Apart from the improving upon the looks and the exhaust note of the motorbike,was there a noticeable difference in performance as well?

Did you replace the Screamin' eagle filter for the stock air filter for the purpose of selling of the bike or does the screamin' eagle filter come with a filter cover?

B O V
1. I changed the Air Cleaner and the Pipes about 4000Km into the bike- the bike becomes freer in its ability to rev- in simpler words, "it 'guns' more easily" and then you find that you start fooling around in lower gears longer than you used to- in short you start thinking of it as a 750 Sports Bike which it is not... you just treat it like that the urge to downshift into 4th at 105kmph, becomes irresistible to boom past something on the highway. The better breathing and 'freer' exhaust make that much of a difference. Harley website will have a Power+Torque comparison- SE versus Stock- where you will see the difference is there, but it doesnt look like much, it just feels 10 times more- I hope I ahve been liberal with adjectives to convey my feeling!

A subsequent uprade to utilise this system would have been to install a 'Super Tuner' to enable a slightly richer fuel supply to then really make the difference stand out- Unfortunately I sold the bike before getting to that part.
The annoying thing is that the company does not re-tune your bike, and its only because the O2 sensor starts to whine about the lean'ness of the bike that the ECU dumps some fuel into the cylinders.
Else the bikes run ridiculously lean. I wish I could have been that lean myself.

2. The parts for selling- ha ha- most Harley owners usually strip the after market parts and sell them seperately- thats how I got my parts- from a guy in Manipur!! The Sceamin' Eagle Air Cleaner is a complete unit with cover and base plate and element... the stock unit sucks air from the front, this one is open from all 360 behind the cover, so its completely different from stock.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 09:57   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Harley Davidson SuperLow XL883 L. Edit - Replaced with the HD Super Glide Custom

Note from Support - Thread title edited accordingly. If you want the title changed to something more suitable, please report this post and it will be attended to. Thanks!
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 10:13   #33
BANNED

Default Re: My Harley Davidson SuperLow XL883 L. Edit - Replaced with the HD Super Glide Cust

I believe 883 was somewhere around 55-57bhp at crank in stock. Harley does not like to put out BHP figures.
With exaust mods and airfilter alone sends it close to 60. correcting charge with help of aftermarket electronics usually put 883 into 65-70bhp bracket.
Exaust mods changes the rider more than they change the bike.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 16:39   #34
BHPian

Ah I understand exactly what you mean.Riding becomes a lot more fun with a sweet exhaust note

I was under the impression that the screamin' eagles are conical air filters faced forward's.I thought that the 360 ones were stock.My bad.
B O V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 17:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Ah I understand exactly what you mean.Riding becomes a lot more fun with a sweet exhaust note

I was under the impression that the screamin' eagles are conical air filters faced forward's.I thought that the 360 ones were stock.My bad.
You arent far off from a regular thought process- the forward pointing air intakes from H-D are from a family of products called- 'Screamin' Eagle® Heavy Breather Performance Air Cleaner Kit.' The 360-Open one is called a Stage 1 Air Cleaner

Similar aggressive looking and sounding air intakes are available from Vance & Hines- the V&H Naked VO2 Air Intake, and something deadlier sounding from Arlen Ness called- 'Arlen Ness Big Sucker Ram Air Intake.'

In Harleys, the world is your supermarket, and I dont think it would be possible to find two Harleys identical in adornments.

Its possibly the only bike maker that sells a 'Forward control set' for people who find stock seat-gear shifter location tight- and then sell a 'reduced reach forward control set' to those who werent as tall as they thought they were...

All in all, its a toy to keep your mind and wallet in action. Work hard, ride safe.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 17:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Harley Davidson SuperLow XL883 L. Edit - Replaced with the HD Super Glide Cust

Hey Congratulations on your new toy, do put in some photos of your latest acquisition. Do you have a list of upgrades/mods already in place?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 16:14   #37
BHPian

Ran the 883 into the ground, maybe due to earlier experience of riding bigger bikes in the US as a student- the 883 was max'ed out and I finally sold it. I purchased a Super Glide and that post is ready, awaiting for a Moderator to post it on the Forum.

Now, though I am very happy with the purchase of the Super Glide, the one funny statistic that I never paid attention to while buying a Super Glide, I realised about 15 days into its ownership.

The Lean Angle- left was 30.9 Deg, while the right was 29.5 Deg. Now guess what happened- the Sportster had footpeg scrapers that would leave behind a string of sparks and let your foot know that you were about at edge and the Glide didnt... and to my surprise in the Amboli Ghat, where my tail flagged me down and told me- "what you doin' man? You are scraping the crap off your exhaust" - and thats when I realised the awesome confidence that the bike instilled in you, and the decimal difference in lean angles, even a normal human like me could find out... and you didnt have to be a Rossi or 2013 version Colin Edwards to find out its limitations on bends.

It remains my favourite memory of the Sportster- and maybe I need to do something in its memory urgent for the pegs on the Glide.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 21:53   #38
BHPian

The Super Glide Custom lasted exactly 4 months and we put on about 6500Km on it- not bad for a weekend warrior. Extensive runs to Kolhapur, Belgaum, Vapi, Nasik- made up the miles. The SGC was sold and the FatBoy entered the storyboard.
My next article will be that of selling Harleys and buying a used Harley-
Attached Thumbnails
Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-babb1.jpg  

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-babb2-.jpg  

Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-babb3.jpg  

Last edited by Hammer & Anvil : 18th August 2013 at 21:54. Reason: images did not attach.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 09:28   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
The SGC was sold and the FatBoy entered the storyboard.
I shall edit the thread title accordingly. Please report this post if you want to edit the title to something more suitable.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 10:15   #40
BHPian

Default Re: Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy

man this is brilliant. I think you should rename this thread more aptly as Harley ownership experiences than specific to a single bike. Third Harley in less than a year. They should give you regular customer discount just for this reason.

Congrats on your new ride.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 10:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

I need to thank you for your very frank and informative posts. After going through them, I have decided to skip the sporsters and go straight for the Softail fatboy. Drove it extensively, liked it and decided I could live with it and have now booked a Blue Fatboy. Thanks again!
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 10:41   #42

KD Sir, a very good morning and wanted to seek your views about the Fatboy Special. I have been meaning to buy a cruiser and narrowed down to three possible options available in India.

HD - Fatboy Special
Triumph - Thunderbird Storm
Suzuki Intruder 1800R B.O.S.S

Would sincerely request your views and advice.

Best Regards,
Vivek Nath
japani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 19:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

A friend spotted this HD Super Glide Custom on a flatbed on Old Madras today, heading towards KR Puram.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy-photo0187.jpg  

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote