Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 24th March 2014, 04:46   #16
BHPian

30 miles one way commute? Wow. If you must ride that much everyday, I suggest go for something with a very comfortable seat. Maybe a Harley or one of the touring/ sport touring bikes from BMW. And something with not too many miles on it.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 05:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Maybe a Harley or one of the touring/ sport touring bikes from BMW.
I am ruling out Harley since I need maintenance free motorcycle.

I have heard that FJR 1300 and ST 1300 are quite reliable.

What are the other possible options?

Your thoughts please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Hey, are you a 365 day rider or a warm weather biker?
I like to ride pretty much in all weather except when it is below zero temperatures and icy conditions.

I find a lot of opposition to my idea of making the motorcycle as my primary means of commute.

I have been doing so back in India on my TBTS.

Beyond those severe winter months of December to February, do you see any other reason?

Also, what motorcycles do you suggest?

I am inclined towards FJR 1300 and ST 1300 between 2006-2010 models having about 20000 to 40000 miles.

One of the reasons to look forward to these two is the carrying ability in their locked luggage cases.

BTW I am beginning my first assignment in US and still do not have any car or Motorcycle. I am thinking of picking a used car after few months just to meet the requirements, the motorcycle would fall short of absolutely.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Himanshu

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th March 2014 at 09:06. Reason: Please use multi-quote/edit feature rather than creating back to back posts
bhardwhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 13:11   #18
BHPian

If you're concerned about reliability of Harleys, there are plenty of Japanese cruisers. Particularly Yamaha roadstar, Kawasaki Vulcan and Suzuki boulevard. One of my friends commutes 30 miles each way in his Honda Shadow, he says it's comfortable but wishes it had more power.

Are you going new or used, and what's your budget? There are some sweet deals on slightly used Japanese cruisers on Craigslist.

The bmws are a good option if going for new.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 13:32   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?

Thanks Raju for the update.

I am limited by a budget of about 8000.

I like sports cruisers and looking at possible options in that segment.
Old 24th March 2014, 14:33   #20

Hello All,

I will be coming to Detroit for about months to a year. I would love to do some motorcycle touring while I am there. Anybody have any ideas about bike rentals in MI ?
I would love to do a 4-5 day 2000 km ride in the summer.
tracerspiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 15:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerspiff View Post
Hello All,

I will be coming to Detroit for about months to a year. I would love to do some motorcycle touring while I am there. Anybody have any ideas about bike rentals in MI ?
I am not sure if one can pick up a bike like one would pick up a car from a car rental place.

I would love to be proved wrong on this.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 15:54   #22

Exactly my thoughts! there is very scant info on this forum regarding renting a motorcycle in the US. There seem to be few sites like eaglerider, etc but I dont seem to find anything other than Harleys and they are pretty expensive too (~$150 a day).

Would love to hear the bike rental experiences of our overseas TBHPians .. If any.
tracerspiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 16:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

check out EagleRider. I think they have couple of rental locations in MI.

http://www.eaglerider.com/
hsub is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 17:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

More than just the cost, there is some legality as well. I guess one needs to undergo training at a local M/c riding school, take some qualifying test before you are granted a permit kinda thing to ride. Unlike renting/driving cars, where a DL from your native country is good enough for them to hand over the keys to a car.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 02:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
Thanks Raju for the update.

I am limited by a budget of about 8000.

I like sports cruisers and looking at possible options in that segment.
Hi Bhardwhu,

Aside from the cost of the bike, you also have to look at the cost of ownership.

After you finalize your choice, check with different insurance companies about how much your insurance will cost.
Your insurance premium will depend your age, where you live & the type of bike. If you are below 25, then be prepared to shell out lot of money per year, add to that a lot more if you are buying a sports bike(like R1, R6, cbr, etc) and add some more if you do not have a secure parking like underground parking or garage at home. Insurance can cost you anything from $300 - $2500 per year.
Invest in good riding gear which will save your skin someday.

Also, the prices of used bikes will start going up very soon as the riding season is almost here.

You must have visited the Ohio DMV website. If not, here are a couple of links with all the infomation.

Ohio DMV site: I strongly suggest you take the MSF course. You'll actually kill it. I mean you will score very well in it. it will also reduce the insurance premium a little bit.

Another site that has a lot of information:
http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/motorcycle-license.php

As for bike suggestions, if you are looking for a big sport-touring bike then I would suggest Kawi Concours 1400. it is basically a detuned zx1400 with sidebags.

Having said that, if it is going to be your first bike in the US, I would advise you to go for a bit smaller bike like vfr800, etc.

In my opinion, riding and handling of these bigger bikes is a totally different ballgame than what we have been used to in India. Of course, the learning curve is very short due to our experience.

Speaking of myself, when I was planning to buy my first bike 12 years ago, I got a chance to test-ride a Buell xb12r (1200cc) for an hour at a motorcycle show. The ride included a combo of highways & twisties. Full of confidence with my 10+ years of Indian riding experiece, I thought it would be a breeze. For the most part, it was a breeze. But there were a couple of moments when I almost sh** in my pants as the bike handled in totally different way than I was used to and almost dumped the bike. Thankfully, luck was on my side that day.
After this I decided to start small and my first bike was a used Ninja EX500, which I owned for 2 years before upgrading to my current Aprilia Futura.

Good luck with your search and hope you will make a wise & prudent decision in buying your bike. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
ApriliaNut is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 03:07   #26
BHPian

Hi, as far as I know a foreign bike license isn't good enough unlike cars. You need to have an M1 endorsement on your drivers license, which means you need to complete the MSF and written test.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 03:26   #27
BHPian

Please advise on this bike.

Looks decent to me - owned by a 63 year old - he has done all the modification himself.

When I spoke to him, he sounded knowledgable about each of the change bike has gone through.

I am not sure what else to look at.

Looking forward to support here in deciding or rejecting this machine:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/4356587102.html

In case one is unable to open -here are the details:

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 $6500
Non-ABS
41,540 miles

Modifications and accessories

Secondary butterflies removed
Power Commander III (Dyno tuned to bike, have receipt)
KN air filter
ZX-14 front forks (resprung for C-14 weight, Traxxion Dynamics 1.15kg springs)
(Spring preload, rebound and compression damping)
EBC Prolite Contour front rotors
EBC Extreme Pro HH Pads
Stainless front brake lines
Michelin Pilot Road 3 (Approx. 3000 mi on them)
PCA Radiator guard
PCA tail rack (trunk mount)
CRG brake and clutch levers
Baker hand wings
Laminar lip on stock wind screen
Cee Bailey larger wind screen.
Cee Bailey headlight guards
Mag Knight tank bra
Throttlemeister lock and bar end
Passenger pegs from C-10
Stock seat upgraded by Spencers (greatdaytoride.com)
All recalls done (documentation)

Please advise.
Old 25th March 2014, 04:09   #28
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?

Quote:
Would love to hear the bike rental experiences of our overseas TBHPians .. If any.
Yes, bike rental isn't as common as car rental.
You might find some local places on Yelp or the White Pages & try to contact them.
Without a US license, I'm not sure whether they will let you rent one but do let us know if I'm wrong.
Most of them will probably not let you ride out without proper basic riding gear including helmet, gloves, jacket & boots.

Riding on local & scenic roads is fine but its a different thing coming straight from India & getting on the interstate.
There's a big difference in riding in Indian conditions & US conditions.

Quote:
Please advise on this bike.
bhardwhu, have you checked insurance rates first?

I'd suggest you first work on getting your motorcycle license before you even think of buying a motorcycle.

The insurance for a liter bike, as a first bike in the US, will in all probability be expensive than the motorcycle itself.

You can get by just selecting the basic liability limits to meet insurance legal requirements but this only protects you from lawsuits (within coverage limits) in case of an accident.
This DOES NOT protect the motorcycle & all repairs necessary in case of an accident will be out of pocket.

Once you select comprehensive and/or collision, then the rates will rise. Also, unless you going in for a really really cheap motorcycle you will need to purchase some sort of comprehensive and/or collision coverage to protect your motorcycle just in case you meet with an accident.

Progressive lets you get free quotes on the Internet.
I strongly suggest you check their on-line simulator to get an idea of what you'll be paying.

You don't have to do the MSF course if you don't want to. There are people (check craigslist), who'll let you use their motorcycle for the DMV test for a fee. But yes, doing a safety course will give you some discount on insurance rates.

In addition, if you're financing, rather than purchasing outright with cash, then the financing company requires you to purchase comprehensive and/or collision coverage.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th March 2014 at 04:13. Reason: Adding info.
aah78 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 04:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Y

bharwhu, have you checked insurance rates first?
Yes.

Thats what I did immediately and got a quote of about 500 an year comprehensive.

What do you say about the bike though?

I am going to get my TIPIC tomorrow.

Regards

Himanshu
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 04:22   #30
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Advice on buying a motorcycle in USA?

Quote:
Thats what I did immediately and got a quote of about 500 an year comprehensive.

What do you say about the bike though?
Himanshu, just confirm rates with an agent again. Comprehensive & collision are different. So selecting collision, in addition, will raise prices.

Also, don't just select the minimum liability. The minimum rates will let you ride legally but if you're sued, the coverage won't be enough to cover lawyer fees.

I'm not trying to be a pain but I have an idea about how the Insurance system works here.

I'm not even close to being a 1% expert but the motorcycle looks decent in the pictures. You'll know better when you go to check it out.

You can check up used motorcycle prices on CycleTrader, KBB & NADA Guides. They won't be exact but you'll get an idea of whether the asking price is within the ballpark.

If you do decide to buy just make sure the paperwork is in order. Clean Title, Bill of Sale, etc. You'll see what documents are required to register on your DMV website.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote