Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 17th May 2012, 10:38   #31
BHPian

Default Re: From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS

Navpreet,

Congratulations on your awesome machine

The 1st time I saw a R1200GS in person I was completely in awe. It is really B I G!! I spotted it in Bethlehem, Palestine. The rider & his buddy on a F800GS were riding all the way from Germany

Here are a couple of snaps.
Attached Thumbnails
From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS-gs1.jpg  

From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS-gs2.jpg  

Attached Images

lloydofcochin is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 11:13   #32
BHPian

Congratulations Navpreet for the beautiful aquisition.Your BMW dwarfs the RE in the pics.Any mods in the pipeline for this one as well?

On a personal note how does it feel moving on to a tourer from an absolutely mental SBK?ZX-12Rs im told can be quite a handful to ride when compared to some of the others in the same class.I too am in the market for a "big-engined" bike.Which one, Im really not sure and my shortlisting is akin to yours in some ways.Budget isnt a constraint in my case too.Sometimes I feel like going for an out and out sportsbike like the Ceeber for its rider-friendliness..Other times its the FZ-1 I look at for its somewhat balanced sports+tourer image.Never ever considered a Harley.Maybe when Im 40 and know from within that my body doesnt quite have the same agility and nimble nature to meet thedemands of sporty bikes with and want to keep that a secret capping the ugly truth with all that brawn and macho-image lol(No offence to anyone.We all have our own perspectives).And then you've gone and added to my troubles by getting this absolutely gorgeous machine by BMW which till date I somehow never really thought seriously about.How is the power delivery on this bike I mean you cant compare it to a sportsbike but then has it ever felt "slow" on the open roads(excuse me for the term) compared to your earlier ZX if you know what I mean?And how do you find the suspension coping up on this one on the bad stretches?

Last but not the least can you please post some more closeup front three quarter pics of the beauty showing off the engine too?Congrats once again for living the dream.Not many do

Last edited by octane1002 : 17th May 2012 at 11:20.
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 11:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Navpreet ,i don't know much about bikes but this one looks like it can even survive a nuclear apocalypse.
I hope the guys at Harley read this and rectify their behavior.
Enjoy and ride safe.
faithless_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 11:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

What an awesome bike Navpreet! Truly to lust for. Its understated styling just blew my mind. May I also trouble you to ask what is the deal you got for this brute?

Sorry to hear your experience at the HD dealership. Somehow my experience with Harley dealership (at Vasant Kunj Mall, Capital Harley, I think) was more than awesome. They had a modded Super Low and Iron 883 which just looked awesome. They made me sit atop the bike and even start to hear the screaming eagles inside their showroom. They did not have an immediate test ride bike but I got a call after an hour of my leaving that the bike has been arranged for me. But I had already left for Meerut, so could not test it. Maybe another day.

I keep on coming to Dehradun as my aunt is in Badripur. I may just drop in one of these days to admire your beauty, if you permit. I too had owned a Bullet 500 during my college days which was from one of their first built lots. It had given me some trouble of oil leakages but it still was a dreamer. Sold it many years later for a more easy starting and trouble free bike.

Awesome thread. Keep updating with more great photos and keep revving...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 11:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Faithless.

Octane:
I had already started drifting from the SBK when I bought the RE. The 12R was mental. and required total concentration and commitment from the rider. You just cannot think of anything else if you're going even a bit fast. There are no electronic rider aids. Just a Chassis and a mental engine. Ride on! One small lapse in concentration and you'll be off the road. which has happened to me a few times. Though I got saved by counter measures and never let the bike lay down.

The acceleration of the R1200GS is something amazing. It is right up there with the big bikes. Look at it this way. Official time for a liter sportbike for a 0-100 is about 2.7-3 seconds. For the R1200GS its 3.7 odd seconds. So its pretty fast. Also when you sit upright and accelerate the feel of acceleration is exemplified to a new level. It is fast!. I tried a couple of traffic signal drags when I was test riding with the Black piston group. They had the big bikes. Busas, FZ1, ZX-12R etc. And this bike at full bore was only a bike length behind them. That is something for an air cooled boxer motor.

There is immense torque.

Coming to the top speed etc. Well it can go above 200 as has been stated by BMW. But above 120 the wind blast becomes really too much. I don't ride it fast at all. This is my riding bike and I enjoy riding. The acceleration and high speed part is something I am done with. Don't want that any more.

But to give you a small advice. I'd suggest that you buy a sportbike right now. After a few years sell it off and get this bike. Only then will you truly appreciate what this machine is capable of. I have learnt it and its part of the reason I love it so much.

On the pics part. I will post more pics but at a later stage. Right now I'm in Dharwad in Karnataka. Will be home after a month or so. Then the proper DSLR pics will be added.

Dkaile: Hey I was born in Meerut. Sometimes visit my nani there. A few relatives live in Badripur as well. Also known as ahluwalia village. Me being the one as well. Definitely we can meet up in dehradun. I'll be back there in July, and we'll meet up then.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 17th May 2012 at 11:44.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 12:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post

Octane:
I had already started drifting from the SBK when I bought the RE. The 12R was mental. and required total concentration and commitment from the rider. You just cannot think of anything else if you're going even a bit fast. There are no electronic rider aids. Just a Chassis and a mental engine. Ride on! One small lapse in concentration and you'll be off the road. which has happened to me a few times. Though I got saved by counter measures and never let the bike lay down.

But to give you a small advice. I'd suggest that you buy a sportbike right now. After a few years sell it off and get this bike. Only then will you truly appreciate what this machine is capable of. I have learnt it and its part of the reason I love it so much.

On the pics part. I will post more pics but at a later stage. Right now I'm in Dharwad in Karnataka. Will be home after a month or so. Then the proper DSLR pics will be added.

Thank you for the advice navpreet. Will surely keep it in mind.I can relate to what you say about the ZX-12r my cousin who is elder to me by a good 11 years had a 9r in Delhi years ago when i was just a college kid and i have heard stories on the same lines from him.He sold the bike off within a year of buying it though.I have been toying with the idea to buy a big bike for sometime now.Of the bikes I mentioned I have a soft spot for the FZ to be honest simply for its balanced approach.And then I came across your thread.Lets see how things pan out.

I might come down to Dehradoon sometime in next month hope to pay you a visit if you're in town to see the bike in flesh.

I totally understand on the pics part.Feel free to post them at your own leisure.
octane1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 12:52   #37
BHPian

What a beauty you've bought Navpreet. During my recent trip to Spain I these bike aplenty on the roads. Then i remembered that in a show called "Long Way Round" EWan McGregor rode a BMW bike and his partner Boorman rode a KTM. But BMW withstood all that nature could throw at it.

I would love to own it one day.

Can you please PM me the on road price with break-up of this bike? I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by n_aditya : 17th May 2012 at 13:03. Reason: corrected bot to bought.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 13:11   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
What a beauty you've bought Navpreet. During my recent trip to Spain I these bike aplenty on the roads. Then i remembered that in a show called "Long Way Round" EWan McGregor rode a BMW bike and his partner Boorman rode a KTM. But BMW withstood all that nature could throw at it.

I would love to own it one day.

Can you please PM me the on road price with break-up of this bike? I would really appreciate it.
Even i was interested in knowing the on road price. Could you kindly PM me as well?

Also, having never driven any superbike, could you tell me if sbk's or the beemer for that matter, needs an engine break-in?
bsenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 13:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

The On road price varies greatly. Based on the taxes which are huge in everywhere else in India and Flat 2k in Dehradun. The Ex-showroom prices have also changed by a huge margin now. Closing to 20L. Call up the dealer and he'll be happy to give you the new details. There is a huge difference between what I paid and what is applicable now.

Yes all these bikes need an engine break in. Infact the Beemer needs it more and some have stated that it takes close to 12-15k kms to finally open up properly. These are riders who have owned multiple GS bikes in the past so I believe them fairly. The key is smooth but hard riding. You have to make the engine work and not lug.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 17th May 2012 at 13:31.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 15:37   #40
BHPian

Congrats on the bike Navpreet , very touchy write up there , and i'm glad you have found a perfect match for yourself. The pic of the bike in water looks nice. Please take good care of her, hope to see it in flesh whenever i visit ddun.
sajid33 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 15:49   #41
BHPian

First things first,

Congratulations are in order, ever since I saw one in person I've been in more awe of this machine. And always wanted to ride it to see what its capable of, and experience that legendary tourer on my own.

Also I am glad you brought up the issue of how dealers act with people, this is a experience and a brand they are selling not a product, they should know better. I also felt a bitter taste in my mouth when I once visited the Harley Delhi showroom, but have had good experiences with HD themselves (the bootcamp rides and all) and the Bombay dealer is a very nice chap himself.

I've heard that Ducati is down in the drain as-well because of the dealers, I am hoping the company decides to open their own showrooms (a-la Porsche) and fix this chaos before it does too much damage to the brand.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 16:37   #42
BHPian

Dealers seem to be having difficulty in realizing that the class distinction attitude that is part of the daily lives of every Indian is not safe to play in the showroom of goods for sale. I know mercedes, BMW and audi dealers who have lost sales of 50-60 lac rupee cars because their showroom staff didn't appreciate the fact that nothing guarantees a lost sale as effectively as supercilious or unprofessional attitude on the part of sales staff towards people who can afford the goods they are hawking but don't look like it to the sales staff.

I dress sloppily because I don't give a damn what people think of me. so when I walk into showroom that sells expensive items and they don't treat me right, I make it a point to buy from the one that does, and let the others know.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 16:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

The rear tyre seems to be Metzeler tourance exp . How is the wet and dry grips while cornering ? . Is it 150/70 R17 ? . Do BMW have parts like tyres and such in stock or they order when needed ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 10:12   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Congratulation Sir on your new steed.
Your episode at the Harley showroom only reminds me of the similar episode Ewan McGregor and Charley Brown had during the prep of their epic journey "long way around", when KTM did not corporate to supply the bikes to them and how the turned their backs and went with BMW.

Its really sad that because of some untrained/unprofessional people a bad name is brought to the brand like Harley Davidson.

OT:
@creative420
Both rode the BMW R1150 GS for the trip. KTM had declined supply of bikes after they came to know the motive behind the purchase.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 10:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Black12rr: Yes thats a Metzeler. The grip is very good. Infact its great offroad as well. Grip in wet is also pretty good. I haven't been pushing it now. My riding style has changed. So under normal riding style, it is perfect. Yes it is a 150-17, though I don't remember the profile. Don't know whether it will be available at BMW, it should be available outside. As it is this is a high mileage tire, so I'll think about the changing at a later stage.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote