Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 18th May 2012, 11:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hey Navpreet, congratulations on a very well thought out decision to go in for the BMW . Is the Kawasaki still in doon or is the owner out of the city? Strange question but yours was the only proper hooligan in doon so feels kinda sad to see it go.

The bullet looks like a kids bike next to the BMW . Its incredible how much thought they have put into the bike to make it a really practical buy. Do keep updating this thread, it's nice to read your posts. Hope to see you in doon sometime, whenever I go home next.
sammyboy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 18:34   #47
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS

Its good to see the two wheeled Indian arm of BMW keeping up with their four wheeler division in terms of customer, and even prospective customer treatment. They are crisp and relatively pretense free unlike most sales executives representing other luxury automobile brands in India.
However, thank you for starting a long overdue thread Nav! Hearty, hearty congratulations to you and your clan for your lastest acquisition. You are a well known mechanical fanatic and this BMW completes you in the most perfect way.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 11:44   #48
~~h
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@navpreet318 : congrats on the bike ; and beautiful narration.

1200GS is awesome; I mean this is the bike those guys use for intercontinental rides in 'Long way down'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
.... A bike is just a small part of that equation which will make me happy.
This I loved , happy riding !!
~~h is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 14:15   #49
BHPian

Congrats on your buy.
Its a great bike and you look good on it.
The bullet sure does look small in front of the BMW.
Here I am buying a bullet for its sheer size compared to the Yamaha RX135 and I am belittled.
Wish I could own this bigger machine someday.
How much did it cost on road?

Enjoy your made for each other rides.
Looking for the modifications you are about to start on this machine .
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 22:41   #50
BHPian

Navpreet!

Heartiest congratulations!

Just yesterday I was at the BMW showroom here and had a chance to look at the R1200GS. It has to be the biggest motorcycle I've seen!!

One very interesting and unique thing I noticed about the R1200 was the way the spokes sit on the rims! I think you can change the spokes without taking the tyre out. Brilliant and very though full design I must say. But strangely they have not used the same design on the F800GS.

BTW, is the F800GS available in India? I personally liked that more than the behemoth R1200GS.

But congratulations again! Suits you perfectly!
Rash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 00:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Sammyboy: The 12 has gone to another city.

Manson: Thank you. Hope to meet up with you for a quick chat when I pass through Mumbai in July.

Rash: Thank you!! Yes its a brilliant design. It also allows the bike to have tubeless tires. The F800GS is sadly not offered in India yet but the F650GS with the same engine in a lower state of tune is available for 10L ex showroom. Its more of a street bike though.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 00:16   #52
BHPian

fantastic bike and a write-up to match.
( OT; loved the snap of the rottweiler guarding the precious new beast.congrats and happy biking.)
one question; could you kindly share
(a) the maintenance costs of the bike after the first few services?
(b) the service interval and experience
am asking you because my city doesn't have a BMW service centre so can relate to the service technicians coming down for a quick fix.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 00:55   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Over these years I have realized that the truth is that I love riding. I want to enjoy new places. Beautiful places. Especially with my better half and my friends. I don't want my life revolving around a bike. A bike is just a small part of that equation which will make me happy. Thats why no more sportbikes which make me more miserable thinking about the parking and other fiddlers.
First off, special thumbs up for the lines above.

Congratulations on your new acquisition, Navpreet. That's a thoroughly done road-test. Very well put together too. I must also add that I got to learn a thing or two about biking through your crisp write-up.

I, too, used to worship Fully-faired bikes and rubbish everything else that came naked or wasn't aesthetically appealing. It was not a long while back when BMW Motorrad meant only the S1000RR to me.

The GS series bikes have always intrigued me with their popularity among seasoned tourers. And now thanks to you and other experienced riders, I am slowly getting to understand the capabilities of these bikes.

Quote:
In a city like dehradun, one can only ride a harley to CCD or McDonalds. Thats it. No other roads would let the rider enjoy the ride.
If I may slightly go off-topic here then I am glad to know that you and all your bikes belong to Dehradoon. It's my hometown as well. Must say, it's one heck of a place for bikers. The place has every kind of terrain on offer for any kind of rider; all that just within a few odd-kilometers of reach.

As of the date, I am in Dehradoon only. It's been just 8 days here and I have already been to Dhanolti and beyond twice. Just love riding my bike over here.

Hope to catch you riding astride your Beemer round a corner some fine day.

Last edited by Shivank : 20th May 2012 at 00:57.
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 01:07   #54
BHPian

Hats off to you sir for going with the legendary tourer. The bike chose the rider perfectly i must say. Thankfully you didnt go with harley and ducati as god only knows how bad the ownership experience wouldve been due to their lacklustre attitude.
Frankly i didnt expect them to have such a bad attitude towards your father. Its good that in your anger you did not end up shoving the cheque in their faces but chose to walk out on them. They deserved it. I still wonder how could these guys not know about you considering the celeb status of your Zx 12r. Their loss is only your gain with this lovely gem of a machine. Its going to last a lifetime.

Good to see the friendly nature of the BMW dealership. Such rapport between the dealer and customer on a one to one level is hard to find.

The bike itself is humongous but somehow you seem to fit perfectly on it rather than.being incongruous. Like i said earlier, the bike has chosen the rider. Loved that water pic. Thanks for the detailed review. Finished reading all in one go. Please post more pictures of this beauty sir. And thats a very cute rottweiler i must say.

Happy mile munching. ATGATT! !

Regards.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 10:46   #55
BHPian

hey congrats on your purchase navpreet! really awesome bike. and i completely agree with your biking philosophy. i have a similar attitude towards bikes. its a gateway to freedom, discovering new places at your own accord.

and what a bike to do that with!! i always had a soft side for those classic BMW boxer twins! its their legacy!

enjoy your ride mate. safe riding. and congrats once again
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 13:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
The On road price varies greatly. There is a huge difference between what I paid and what is applicable now.
Do share what you paid for the bike irrespective of what the current price may be. This will give us a fair idea of what it costs to own such a beast. I have seen market forces work in strange ways and I have seen hard bargaining work even on products which seemingly have had no discounts.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th May 2012 at 13:02.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 16:22   #57
BHPian

Congrats Navpreet for buying what I feel is simply the the most capable bike on the planet ! I have been drooling for this beauty for the last 2 years and I am confident that one day i will get it, until then my 650R is good to go !

A friend of mine recently bought the older R1150GS and when I rode it, it felt like a car on 2 wheels. The suspension is amazing, the shaft drive is SILENT, the ride is super.

I somehow feel that there is a fairly inconsistent cost difference between Indian prices and anywhere else in the world if one compares it to any other SBK pricing.

Hopefully the prices will come down soon.
plimsollmark is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 13:56   #58
BHPian

Congrats on your acquisition Navpreet

Amazing bike. This is the bike used by most of the world tourers, also it is the only competition to the KTM in the Dakar which talks leaps and bounds about its legendary reliability.

I always had been inspired and long for the Gs650. do you have any idea what it costs in India on road?

Note from Support - Please read the posts above. Navpreet has already mentioned the pricing for the 650GS.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st May 2012 at 14:41.
Shashidl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 16:22   #59
BHPian

Thanks for linking to the thread, Navpreet.

I'll get this one out of the way first - Yes, you still got it
Reading this reminded me of your writeup back in 05 where you detailed your journey of booking the 12R.. waiting for it to arrive... the trip to Delhi to pick it up... and details of the return journey. It was awesome to read it then... and.. after spending about an hour reading through this in the morning, it's equally awesome to read this one too!

I'm going to subscribe to this one. Please keep updating the thread with your experiences and pictures.

Regards,
Rajat
ScarySkulls is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 17:06   #60
Senior - BHPian

Yes Rajat, this has of sorts become a tradition for me. This is the third bike which I have had to ride down from Delhi, The other two being the RE and the 12R. And it has also been the first time I have ridden the bike of that particular genre, be it the RE or the 12 or now the GS. It is quite an experience and there is a kind of apprehension and fear of riding it for such a long distance for the first time. This has in turn made me a wiser rider. I don't wring open the throttle or lean it to the max at the first available corner. I learn the bike out and out. It is like a crash course for learning that bike. Intense and of considerable duration. The knowledge of the bike soon embeds into the subconscious and then everything falls in naturally.

Will keep updating this thread with better pics and experiences after mid july when I will get some decent riding time on it.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote