Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 22nd June 2012, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Is this a Car or a Bike? The BMW C1

The C1 a car-cum-bike that combines features of both. But at Rs 9 lakh, will YOU buy it?

We surely are breathing in an era surrounded by the most advanced technologies and there is something for all of us. The industry of automobiles is one of the fastest growing industries in the world and now is the time when we have electric and hybrid fuel-efficient cars using futuristic technology. C1 is one of the latest to enter the market and the features of this car-cum-bike are something that will surely strike a chord with the critics as well as the enthusiasts.

More details here -

C1: Ultimate Ultramodern Two-wheeler

PHOTOS: Is this a CAR or a BIKE? - Rediff Getahead
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:41   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Is this a CAR or a BIKE? C1 is set enter the Indian market

Call me a pessimist, but I highly doubt this will ever see the light of day on Indian shores. Its just too radical to find success!
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:45   #3
BANNED

Default Re: Is this a CAR or a BIKE? C1 is set enter the Indian market

If Nano can sell, why can't this sell in India? We have Nano and Auto rickshaws here so I definitely sense potential. The price is the deal breaker though.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:48   #4
BHPian

Question Re: Is this a CAR or a BIKE? C1 is set enter the Indian market

No, I don't find this car to come soon to India anytime. It's simply too strange and radical to meet success in Indian Market! And a price of 9 lakhs!
is simply too much. Unless this is launched at or under 1 lakh point, I doubt whether it will be successful. Just think, Who would spend 9 Lakh to buy a 2 door car-cum-bike when at 9 lakh, you can buy Mid-Variant Sedans or even top variant sedans (Logan, Accent etc.). I believe it would create a new segment and has the mobility of a bike with safety of car but at this point of time, if it is launched in India(A big IF in itself), will be nothing more than a dud or be a rich man's toy!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Last edited by S@ndy : 22nd June 2012 at 12:55.
S@ndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:45   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Is this a Car or a Bike? The BMW C1

I am not supporting this machine, but I see people buying cars like Volkswagen Beetle at a whooping 25 Lacs in India when you can get a luxury sedan or a decent SUV at that price or maybe even lower. So you cant say that there will be absolute no takers for this one.

Besides this maybe not the core business for a manufacturer like BMW. IMO these kind of radical designs show the ability of the manufacturers and set them apart from the rest.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 22nd June 2012 at 14:51.
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite a radical concept!

How do you maintain balance in such a vehicle?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 16:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

On funnier note, Another & probably the main losing factor will be to unable to CUSS on the next two wheeler driver because of those LARGE size doors. The 40% fun of driving two wheeler is to able to CUSS openly on the next biker OR the auto-rickshaw OR car guy who may have accidently cut you a corner.
FREEDOM man FREEDOM....

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 21:07   #8
PPS
Senior - BHPian

A Bhpian owns a C1 here in Mumbai. Refer to the link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post2568801 (Superbikes spotted in India)

PPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 21:23   #9
BHPian

This isn't selling in Europe either. It's a bit pointless really.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:20   #10
BHPian

Found this on FB.

Another Self Balancing Motorcycle
Attached Images

500ContyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 13:02   #11

I believe that Lit-C1 has the potential to be a hit. In the west sports bikes are generally expensive and the cost of ownership is higher due to high insuarance rates. In addition motocrcycles could not be used in winter due to extreme weather conditions.

Lit C1 can become an all weather bike. The economies of using an electric bike, lower ownership costs and higher security can be an added advantage.

Balance- The bike balances itself with the use of gyroscopes beneath the floor of the bike. It was earlier used in other bikes like Gyro-X which used to fail during sharp turns. This is supposed to be a new patented technology and only time will tell if it really works.

I agree that the bike still has a long way to India and the price would have to be cut in less than half for it to be a success; but we have one of the most competetive automobile industry and which is good in replicating sucessful concepts to add value. I am excited by this futuristic step and lets see where it takes us
lethalhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 14:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
This is the Lit C1 and not the BMW C1. The BMW C1 was launched in 2001 and discontinued in 2003. The Lit C1 is supposed to be launched next year.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:40   #13

Exclamation Re: Is this a Car or a Bike? The BMW C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
A Bhpian owns a C1 here in Mumbai. Refer to the link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post2568801 (Superbikes spotted in India)
=======
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
The C1 a car-cum-bike that combines features of both. But at Rs 9 lakh, will YOU buy it?
============PHOTOS: Is this a CAR or a BIKE? - Rediff Getahead[/url]
The bike currently in news is the 'Lit C1' and not the BMW C1. The BMW C1 was discontinued in early 2000s. The confusion has come up due to both bikes sharing the same name.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:51   #14
BHPian

Well a radical design. But am confused here. How different is it than the present autorickshaws running around on the indian roads ? They are balanced to, if not gyroscopically , by the cheapest option ! A 3 rd wheel . They too offer the best of both worlds , better mileage and finally fit a fan and hey your good to go ! 9 lacs for this ???
John Jacob13128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 15:56   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jacob13128 View Post
Well a radical design. But am confused here. How different is it than the present autorickshaws running around on the indian roads ?
While I agree half the essence of motorcycling in one of these machines, there would be as much difference as there is between a Maruti Alto and a BMW 5 series

Last edited by manson : 16th October 2012 at 15:57.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote