Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 25th July 2012, 03:25   #1
BHPian

Default STABIL Fuel Stabilizer?

I am putting this query here as its more relevant to superbikes (or big bikes or whatever you call them) as many times its these big bikes that are stowed away for long periods for a variety of reasons.

For a bike that will be seeing use once in 3-4 months, I have been advised by a few motorcycle experts that during non-usage period its better to fill up your tank with petrol and add the fuel stabilizer such as STABIL, which will keep the fuel from deteriorating and messing up injectors, carbs, corrosion etc over long periods of non usage. I guess in US, Canada & Europe its more commonly used for winter storage when bikes just cant be ridden for 3-4 months with snow.

My question is- Since we dont have winter storage in India, is this item available in India? I know it has application in marine engines also where boats may not be used for long periods, but does anybody have any knowledge on this item, its uses & most importantly availability in india.

Thanks
Haroon

Last edited by Haroon : 25th July 2012 at 03:30.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 10:28   #2
BANNED

Default Re: STABIL Fuel Stabilizer?

India has all year riding season ( atleast most parts of it ) and we really dont need fuel stabilizers to protect the fuel.I live up north where it reaches 45 degrees in summers and as low as 2 in winters. But getting the bike out and riding is feasible once a week atleast. Pump gas is good for approx 60 days before it starts to degrade. A full tank is more essential since it avoids rusting. However , if for some reason the bike is lying unused adding STABIL to a full tank is a good practise. Is is a good product and does help in keeping the fuel from degrading. However , Availability of the product in India seems difficult since sometime back i was looking for a product called sea-foam that is used when the bike is used for the first time after extended periods of hibernation or general injector cleaning and i had major trouble sourcing it.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 12:09   #3
BHPian

Thanks bigron. Being abroad, this bike would see use only once in 3-4 months when I am in India so thats why I am looking for it. Besides, its always a pain to ship fluids internationally. I had checked about seafoam also, but apparently most people say Stabil has better qualities than seafoam making it the first choice. The search is on....
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 21:08   #4
BANNED

Sea foam is more of an after product when you want to get the bike out of hibernation. STABIL , you ll normally put before you put the bike into hibernation. Even if availability is a issue , make the sure the gas is topped out to the max to avoid rusting. What you can do is , ask someone to start in every once in a while to keep the bike running . Are you using battery tenders too ?
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 22:50   #5
BHPian

I was told you have to first put Stabil, then top up the tank and ride for about 4-5 kms and then park the bike for hibernation. After 3 months when I return, I just start & ride the bike without any other post break treatement. Rusting wont be an issue as its a plastic tank. I would pull out the battery and keep it continuously on a trickle charger during my absence.
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote