Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 6th November 2012, 23:54   #46
rbp
BHPian

Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

An update from my side too.

First service done, the following was carried out

1) Motul 300v 15W50 FS. 1.8 Ltrs :- 15xx.00 Rs

2) Saree Guard and the front number plate are gone, fitted the left side grab rail :- 750 Rs

3) The usual bike service :- Washing, brake pads cleaning, chain cleaning etc.

4) Got the Zero gravity wind screen and R & G frame sliders fitted.

I must say with the tinted wind screen, she looks sexy. I just cannot take my eyes off her.

I need to go on a ride sometime later this week, I just dont get time for it.

The total servicing cost was around 4.8K.

I have to thank Auto Service for their wonderful service. I was asked to come at 9:30 AM on Sunday. They took the bike in at 9:30 and delivered her back to me by 1:00 PM. Two dedicated people worked on my bike and took care of her, the entire servicing was done right in front of my eyes. All in all I am a happy Auto Service customer..

Will try capturing a few pics over the weekend, till then keep waiting.

My bike still has vibes between 4k and 5.5k rpm, beyond that she is butter smooth.

Last edited by rbp : 7th November 2012 at 00:08.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 11:19   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Hi
Rbp am a bit perplexed how the PBK bglore guys put 15W 50!!! In my opinion its a better grade for our traffic & weather for the Ninja but here in bbay only 10 W 40 is advised & hence thats what I bought. I intend to switch once the bike is a bit older, maybe at about 5000 / 7000 kms.
In fact I have gone back to the stock screen & will probably sell of the Zero gravity screen
Rgds
dinyaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 12:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinyaar View Post
Hi
Rbp am a bit perplexed how the PBK bglore guys put 15W 50!!! In my opinion its a better grade for our traffic & weather for the Ninja but here in bbay only 10 W 40 is advised & hence thats what I bought. I intend to switch once the bike is a bit older, maybe at about 5000 / 7000 kms.
In fact I have gone back to the stock screen & will probably sell of the Zero gravity screen
Rgds
dinyaar, I've also planned to shift to 100%synth at the mileage you've mentioned. It just fits in with my limited understanding of the whole engine-breaking in theory. But if Venkat Shyam of AS recommends 15W50 100% synth, he would have a couple of good reasons to do so, he's not one to be careless, especially since he owns and rides the 2011 650 himself(pretty darned decently too).

And about the zero G screen, what made you switch back to stock? Any particular issues you faced?

I'm seriously considering riding down to Bangalore to get the 3M ppf, slider install, headlamp upgrade and a bunch of other stuff in december. We Mumbai/Pune guys badly need a setup like Auto Service here :( And a track near Malshej or Satara. And cooler weather. And less traffic. And secure parking everywhere. Now I'm depressed.
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 12:57   #49
rbp
BHPian

@dinyaar:- I too am happy that 15W50 was used, keeping in mind the heat factor. Looks like the wind screen buzzing got to you? I will get a clear picture once I do a long ride, since the service I have ridden her only in the traffic and with the way she builds up speeds the rider has to be super attentive on riding only .

@Sriku:- You have a huge list of accessories to get fitted, I too would advice you to get it fitted from a well known place, the Auto Service guys dont hurry up things, I would definitely recommend it.

Last edited by rbp : 7th November 2012 at 12:58.
rbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 13:28   #50
BHPian

Hi Sriku & Rbp

Sriku I switched to synthetic at 600 kms. Am talking of the grade 15 w 50 as against 10 w 40 that I have filled. In bombay traffic & heat I feel a 15W 50 is better engine protection & will still flow on start up. Would have done it anyway but then felt I should run it on a thinner oil (suggested grade by PBK & kawa) i.e 10w 40 till about 5K kms and then take a call.
I too have a longish wishlist for Bombay roads & traffic but will hold back for now as nothing is going to happen & things will only get worse with the Marine drive resurfacing & the proposed peddar road flyover. One thing that amazes me is the hooliganism if I can call it that displayed by tons of young riders at night. Total lack or concern for safety of others & themselves. Was riding a busa on sunday night & I was shocked out of my mind to see a bloke on a pulsar coming straight at me at high speed!!!!! The idiot was zipping on the wrong side of Marine drive!!! What can u do??? Its a guessing game really and if I guess wrong I go head on into the fool!!!
Well the Zero gravity screen did not match my expectations really!!!! It just looks cool with the smoke tint, thats all. Yes there is a buzz with the wind blast which is lesser with the stock screen & that was a factor too. Anyway its a popular accessory & I will Flog it to someone.
I feel PBK would be good as the guy Alam is skilled & the big plus in my book is that he is careful. Neat & clean worker. Cant comment on Auto Service bglore as I have no clue.

Rgds
dinyaar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 15:02   #51
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinyaar View Post
Was riding a busa on sunday night & I was shocked out of my mind to see a bloke on a pulsar coming straight at me at high speed!!!!! The idiot was zipping on the wrong side of Marine drive!!! What can u do??? Its a guessing game really and if I guess wrong I go head on into the fool!!!
Now, that is scary. The other day, a guy riding a fazer was belting his bike just to overtake me, I was just cruising. At a speed breaker I had to slow down and this guy flew over the speed breaker and satisfied his ego.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:06   #52
BHPian

Hey Dinyaar, RBP and Shriku,
Was just reading all your posts. The FB owners group is a blessing in disguise. And as for auto service, i am getting more and more inclined to ride to bangalore and get the next service done there, alternately, i think we need to kidnap Venkat and get him to Mum-Pune.
I have picked up the R&G frame sliders, install will be only at the next service. Will shifft to Motul Synth as well at the next service. I am seriously thinking about the Morimoto projectors. Will pick it up in US when i am there next year.
By the way, had a ride to bombay the other day and it was an amazing feeling, stability and confidence inspiring bike this.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th November 2012 at 15:33. Reason: please do not post high speed figures which are over the legal limit, thanks.
zimbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 15:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

How are the brakes guys?
Did you have even a single scary moment on the highway?

The 2013 version offers optional ABS. Would it be compatible with the 2012 version and can the ABS be installed as a brake upgrade?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 20:06   #54
rbp
BHPian

anandpadhye, after my first service, I feel the brakes have slightly improved, they seem to provide a little more bite, but nowhere close to Ninja 250's brakes. The N250 brakes are something to be experienced.
I spoke to Venkat [Auto Service owner] and according to him just changing to EBC pads will make a huge difference in the braking.
I am not sure if the ABS can be installed on the 2012 model, should be possible but at what cost? Kawasaki you listening.

Zimbly has hit some crazy speeds, so he should be able to comment on the stability and feel at those speeds.

Last edited by rbp : 7th November 2012 at 20:07.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 20:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

I feel ABS should be the norm for such super bikes.

Even on my humble Fiero that I have been riding for past 12 years, I know how scary it can get within milliseconds when someone/something just jumps into my path and I have no option but to S-K-I-D... A good machine is the one that stops more impressively than it accelerates. I know it from my Laura TSi

I will wait to see if they launch an ABS version (or ABS as an option at least) soon.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 7th November 2012 at 20:14.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 23:17   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
anandpadhye, after my first service, I feel the brakes have slightly improved, they seem to provide a little more bite, but nowhere close to Ninja 250's brakes. The N250 brakes are something to be experienced.
I spoke to Venkat [Auto Service owner] and according to him just changing to EBC pads will make a huge difference in the braking.
I am not sure if the ABS can be installed on the 2012 model, should be possible but at what cost? Kawasaki you listening.

Zimbly has hit some crazy speeds, so he should be able to comment on the stability and feel at those speeds.
The thing with the brakes is that the feel is not as progressive as one would want. I mean stomp the brakes and the bikes will stop no matter what.
I have had 2 near miss experiences in the city with the brakes. Both were emergency braking. I tend to stomp more on the rear brakes to bring the beast to a stop. Always had a thing in my head about the front slipping under you and you will definitely be on the ground. So in both instances had the wheel locking up. The rear tends to fishtail. I guess the traction provided by the rear 160 section tyre during emergency braking in my opinion is not something to write home about. Probably in both instances ABS would have helped. Infact if kawasaki bring ABS as an option for the 2012 model,i am getting in line to get it installed. The other downside is the weight of the bike translates to comparatively more momentum, so stopping has to cater for the added weight. In both instances, i stopped well short of impact. But the first time you experience the fishtailing, it would be experimentally useful to check your pulse once u have come to a stop.

As for stability at speed, she is rock solid, very planted. Once the speeds build up, duck under the visor and you can comfortably cruise to near top speed. and dont even think about getting up from under the visor at those speeds, otherwise the term"taking flight" will have a new meaning.
zimbly is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 08:21   #57
rbp
BHPian

Yesterday night I had been on a 100 kms ride. Since the first service is over I have started opening her up a little more and keep giving her bursts of acceleration every now and then and then slow down. She is effortless.

She loves cornering, I thought she wont be good at that, she feels supremely planted in corners and I have got used to the brakes now, it feels a lot better after the first service.

Note from Support - Post edited as it can be misinterpreted as street racing/careless riding behavior. Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th November 2012 at 10:50. Reason: post edited.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 23:34   #58
rbp
BHPian

I did a ride to Dubaare forest near Kushal Nagar, it was around 250+ kms one side, I left to Mysore at 6:30 AM on Sunday, the bike odo read 11xx, I had to do another 500 to finish the runnin, reached Macdonalds before Maddur around at 8:00 AM, a photographer at MacDonalds caught hold of me and he started asking me questions and at one point he bluntly asked "Why did you buy the bike?", I was stunned for a moment, I dunno this guy and what question is he asking me, the conversation went on and then he mentioned that he is a photographer and would like to shoot a panning shot of me, I agreed, the snap that he took looked neat, now waiting for him to send it across, by the time I saw the watch it was already 8:25, Mysore was another 70 kms from there, decided to hurry up and did some good speeds, since it was early morning, there was less traffic, reached Mysore by 9:10. Picked my friend from Mysore and we left for Dubaare, this time I was pillion and I decided to hold the grab rails instead of falling on my friends back under braking, that was the biggest mistake I did, by the time we reached the destination I had a severe thigh muscle cramp. We had done some 80+ kms in 60 odd minutes, 650 is born for the highways.
While returning, left at 2:30PM, on the way back I rode and friend was pillion, we rode slowly as it was getting tiring, accelerating and braking was taking a toll on the pillion. We reached Mysore by 4:30. I left to BLR by 5:00 PM and kept on over taking everything that came in my way, I was just cruising and enjoying the ride, overtaking four wheelers is biggest smile that this bike gives the rider, effortless is the word I would love to use again, one small burst of acceleration and the cars just vanish from the rear view mirrors, due to the horrible traffic in Chennapatna and Ramnagar, I reached Nice road by around 7:30 PM took a break for 10 minutes, by this time the bike had already crossed the 1650 kms mark and I felt a huge improvement in the smoothness of the engine, the harshness that is felt between 4 to 5k rpm had subsided by a huge margin and she felt unbelievably smooth, I once again opened the throttle on the Nice stretch and boy even after 500kms of ride she was putting a smile on my face, once you cross 5k rpm she is electric motor smooth, reached home in another 30 mins. I had covered a total distance of 530 kms and the bikes odo is close to 1700 kms now. The ride had taken a toll on my neck and I had severe neck pain yesterday, feeling better now.

She has been consistently delivering 25+kmpl, so on tankful I manage to do more than 250+ kms, when the fuel indicator starts blinking, which indicates that the bike has around 4 litres in the tank, I have done around 40 kms in this mode riding slowly in 6th gear on one occasion. If ridden consistently at around 120 to 130, I am sure you can stretch her close to 300 kms.

All in all, if you are into touring, the 650 is the bike to have.

After yesterdays ride I have decided no pillions if riding in sport mode . Also the braking is a worry with a pillion and fast riding.

@Dinyaar:- I feel the Motul 15W50 has had a huge role to play in getting rid of the vibes, she is butter smooth now.

@Sriku :- I dont see any updates on your ride, did you revert back to the RX ?
Old 20th November 2012, 17:45   #59
BHPian

Hi Rbp
Am really glad to see another bloke fully enjoying / exploiting the machine.

I feel the switch from Mineral to synthetic Motul made a BIG difference. It may be better with 15W 50 but am happy with 300V 10W 40 for now. Will swap to the former when my engine is a bit older (say 5/6K kms).

Am hardly riding the 650 as I have a cousins Busa which I take out at night and my daily commute are my other 'puny' machines. Actually after the Busa my 650 feels like a toy and averagely powered!!!!

I feel the front forks could be better and definately feel the brakes should have more bite. Apart from that I like the entire package. I cant quite buy the logic that a beginners bike (thats what the 650 is internationally) should not have bite in the brakes. Infact I feel that a beginner should definately feel that he has the stopping power. I rode a friends Ninja 250 with Galfer lines and the brakes are stunning!!!! Surely the 650 deserved better so am looking for options on Brake lines & pads. Am not too sure am going to go the aftermarket can anytime soon.

Safe & happy riding
Rgds
dinyaar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 18:42   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
@Sriku :- I dont see any updates on your ride, did you revert back to the RX ?
Sorry, was not riding for this past month, as I was out of town. However, the riding season has truly started now. Last weekend saw rides to Karnala via JNPT (saturday), and Igatpuri (sunday). Had awesome fun meeting a truck load of mumbai bikers including busa's harleys and ninjas. This weekend I go in for my first service, after which Malshej(Sunday) and Mahabaleshwar (next weekend)
will happen.

I am also going with 300V 10W40, got my frame sliders/ tankpad installed last weekend. Getting the Philips Extreme Vision H7 12V 55W lamps this weekend. All I need now is time on the saddle. The holidays at the end of this month will be fully utilized
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote