Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2013, 18:34   #76
BHPian
 
Hells_Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Wind noise is still there, but the helmet is nice and gives the rider excellent view. Irrespective of any helmet you use, I would say ear-plugs are a must.
Thanks for the info. I cannot use ear plugs since I use a helmet bluetooth intercom system and with ear plugs I will not be able to hear it well. My current helmet (LS2) gives a lot of wind noise at 80+ so was looking at other options.
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 23:24   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Thats a excellent ride you got there rbhp . This is best to tour all around .Pulls like a tractor without any fuss and more over is comfortable . Wish it came in black .
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 12:48   #78
BHPian
 
sriku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 323
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Thanks for the info. I cannot use ear plugs since I use a helmet bluetooth intercom system and with ear plugs I will not be able to hear it well. My current helmet (LS2) gives a lot of wind noise at 80+ so was looking at other options.
I'm using the SOL 68 sII along with a Scala Rider G9. Even with earplugs, I am able to make and receive phone calls, intercom, aux in with no issues.
The SOL is airier than the LS2 for sure, but earplugs do not cause any problems for me. I cannot ride without earplugs now, am very used to them. Hope it helps.
sriku is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 09:42   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
How is the wind noise at higher speeds with the SOL? Have you tried without ear-plugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Wind noise is still there, but the helmet is nice and gives the rider excellent view. Irrespective of any helmet you use, I would say ear-plugs are a must.
Wind noise is proportional to the no. of vents present on the helmet. If one rides with these vents closed, the helmet will be less noisy.

That said, this SOL variant has the most no. of vents and hence is pretty noisy but keeps the rider's head cool and less sweaty.

Ear plug's are highly recommended for highway rides as they reduce damage to hearing caused by wind noise.
n_aditya is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 09:44   #80
BHPian
 
narula123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai / D.dun
Posts: 368
Thanked: 453 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
I'm using the SOL 68 sII along with a Scala Rider G9. Even with earplugs, I am able to make and receive phone calls, intercom, aux in with no issues.
The SOL is airier than the LS2 for sure, but earplugs do not cause any problems for me. I cannot ride without earplugs now, am very used to them. Hope it helps.
I had taken inspiration from Shriku and started wearing ear plugs. Honestly can't imagine riding without them now. They make life more peaceful and thus I can focus better on the road.
narula123 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 12:38   #81
BHPian
 
sriku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 323
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Yeah, I used to think earplugs would cut off all sound entirely, which is not the case at all. Ear plugs simply reduce the wind noise and other noise to an extent where it is clearly heard, but does not jar.

My personal experience of riding with earplugs for a few years now, please try a good pair of either pre moulded triple flange plugs like these

or simple foam plugs like these

I prefer the triple flange pre moulded plugs, but have used foam plugs as well.
If you are buying, I'd suggest you get 3-5 pairs, leave one in your backpack, one in your jacket pocket, and a few spares at home. Use zip lock bags to store them and water to wash them. Takes a little getting used to, but I've noticed it reduces fatigue and headaches on long rides for me.

Regards,
Sriku
sriku is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 16:20   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
The ride had taken a toll on my neck and I had severe neck pain yesterday, feeling better now.

After yesterdays ride I have decided no pillions if riding in sport mode . Also the braking is a worry with a pillion and fast riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Ear plug's are highly recommended for highway rides as they reduce damage to hearing caused by wind noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Takes a little getting used to, but I've noticed it reduces fatigue and headaches on long rides for me.
Here is a question to all of you.
Don (my Royal Enfield Electra 5s DB) has done some 1.27 lac kms, and most of it on the highways across the country.
When Don came into my life, the situation was different. The roads were slower, speeds lesser and of course, my pocket was not as big as it is today.

Me and my wife love to ride long distances and are happy with Don in terms of his comfort for both rider and pillion alongwith ample luggage space offered not to mention pan India repairability.

Do you owners of the Ninja 650 think it can be an alternative to the legendary rider and pillion comfort that a Bullet offers, in the city and on very long rides?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 16:42   #83
BHPian
 
sriku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 323
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Do you owners of the Ninja 650 think it can be an alternative to the legendary rider and pillion comfort that a Bullet offers, in the city and on very long rides?
I have been riding my Std 350 for about 12 years now. Toured, commuted and rebuilt it twice in this duration. So I feel qualified to offer an opinion.

The Ninja 650 excels in the below:
1. Rider comfort is exceptional. Truly exceptional. I have no experience of touring with a pillion on any bike, so I'll leave pillion comfort opinions to others. The suspension is definitely better than any bullet.
2. Luggage carrying ability using saddle/tank bags.
3. Reliability. Built for sports touring. Excellent ergonomics.
4. Pan India service offered by Bajaj's excellent service network.

There have been many of the 650 owners who have done the ladakh route, some brave enough to attempt and succeed at the K2K too. There are many who regularly tour inter-state. There are even more who commute with the 650 on a daily basis. Incidentally, one of the K2K riders did take his wife along on his 650.

In all respects, except one, the N650 is a better tourer than our bullets. As much as I love the bullet, I will never tour on mine again. I have upgraded, and I am entirely satisfied. There are other touring friendly motorcycles out there as well, like the CBR 250 and the Karizma. However, I rate the 650 higher.

The only place where the bullet holds its own against the 650 is its fuel tank range. My 650 has a maximum range of 240-270 kms on a single tank of fuel. The bullet has a larger tank (capacity can be upped as well) and consequently a longer range per tank. However, as I do not live in Kargil or Sonmarg, this limited range does not affect me. It probably will not affect you either.

Last edited by sriku : 7th March 2013 at 16:50.
sriku is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 16:43   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Me and my wife love to ride long distances and are happy with Don in terms of his comfort for both rider and pillion alongwith ample luggage space offered not to mention pan India repairability.

Do you owners of the Ninja 650 think it can be an alternative to the legendary rider and pillion comfort that a Bullet offers, in the city and on very long rides?
To be honest, sometime back i was seriously considering selling my 250R and upgrading to the 650... the previous gen 650, which did not have the split seats as this aided better space for the pillion rider.

The new 650 is a lot more than just aesthetic or cosmetic changes. The geometry of the bike has been improved as well with suspension upgrades resulting in better handling, performance and FE than the earlier sibling. But the split seat killed it for me.

In short, I wouldn't be able to comment if the current 650 is better than the older one in terms of pillion comfort but overall this bike is a fantastic tourer. With a reliable and bullet proof engine, excellent ergonomics, high speed touring capabilities, decent FE of around 22 kmpl, you can ride all day and not break a sweat.

Adding a Givi box to the rear will give you luggage carrying capabilities and a back rest for the pillion. You could also use soft luggage such as panniers or saddle bag's if the trips are longer than a couple of days.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 16:46   #85
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 433
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Here is a question to all of you.
Don (my Royal Enfield Electra 5s DB) has done some 1.27 lac kms, and most of it on the highways across the country.
When Don came into my life, the situation was different. The roads were slower, speeds lesser and of course, my pocket was not as big as it is today.

Me and my wife love to ride long distances and are happy with Don in terms of his comfort for both rider and pillion alongwith ample luggage space offered not to mention pan India repairability.

Do you owners of the Ninja 650 think it can be an alternative to the legendary rider and pillion comfort that a Bullet offers, in the city and on very long rides?
I have my reservations riding with a pillion for long distances, but if you and your wife have done long distances in the past, it should feel OK, but let me tell you the acceleration and braking is going to push the pillion back and forth, which will make it a little uncomfortable for the pillion, and also with a pillion the ground clearance also becomes an issue when you ride on bad roads and speed breakers.

By the way, there is a rider on the N650 FB group, who did long rides with his better half and he seemed to be happy.

Last edited by rbp : 7th March 2013 at 16:49.
rbp is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 16:52   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
In short, I wouldn't be able to comment if the current 650 is better than the older one in terms of pillion comfort but overall this bike is a fantastic tourer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I have my reservations riding with a pillion for long distances, but if you and your wife have done long distances in the past, it should feel OK, but let me tell you the acceleration and braking is going to push the pillion back and forth, which will make it a little uncomfortable for the pillion, and also with a pillion the ground clearance also becomes an issue when you ride on bad roads and speed breakers.
So a detailed test ride is what will put my questions to rest, correct?
Do the dealers give detailed test rides in Bangalore?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 17:01   #87
BHPian
 
sriku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 323
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The new 650 is a lot more than just aesthetic or cosmetic changes. The geometry of the bike has been improved as well with suspension upgrades resulting in better handling, performance and FE than the earlier sibling. But the split seat killed it for me.
aditya, I have a feeling the split seats offer greater comfort for both rider and pillion. I base this on the feedback from 2011 owners who seem to dislike the banana seat on their bikes. From a rider perspective, I am sure the 2012 seat is more comfortable, at least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So a detailed test ride is what will put my questions to rest, correct?
Do the dealers give detailed test rides in Bangalore?
There is the biggest problem the 650 faces. In most dealerships across India, it is difficult to find a display bike, almost impossible to find a test ride bike. If a customer delivery is imminent, you may find one to see. At least this was the situation until december 2012. I am not sure of the situation now, perhaps it is better. Let us know when you manage to get a test ride.
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 17:24   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
There is the biggest problem the 650 faces. In most dealerships across India, it is difficult to find a display bike, almost impossible to find a test ride bike. If a customer delivery is imminent, you may find one to see. At least this was the situation until december 2012. I am not sure of the situation now, perhaps it is better. Let us know when you manage to get a test ride.
You were right. I called the only Probiking outlet at Bangalore and they told me that they do not have a test ride vehicle with them.

They also told me that there is a waiting period of around 4 months for anyone who books it.

The question is, do people book it without even taking a test drive??
I wont.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 09:20   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
They also told me that there is a waiting period of around 4 months for anyone who books it. The question is, do people book it without even taking a test drive??
When the Ninja 250R was launched there was a four months waiting period on it which then reduced to 3 months.

When i bought my bike in 2010, i was told 3 months waiting but i got delivery in 45 days. Not sure if the 650 will be available any sooner than the wait time committed by them though.

Test rides were available for the 250R a year or so after its launch. There were no test bikes when i booked my bike. I took a short spin on a friend's bike to get a feel of the dynamics and ergonomics. Post that, followed up with extensive research on reliability and other factors and only then i put my money down.

You might want to ride a friend's bike for some distance and then take a call. It's a fantastic tourer with a bullet proof engine. Japanese reliability at it's best.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 09:34   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You were right. I called the only Probiking outlet at Bangalore and they told me that they do not have a test ride vehicle with them.

They also told me that there is a waiting period of around 4 months for anyone who books it.

The question is, do people book it without even taking a test drive??
I wont.
Most of the People purchase without test rides.
Best option will be to find a friend
I know of a Clean Pre Worshipped 650R that is going to be on sale very soon
Just a heads up in case you are interested.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 narula123 Superbikes & Imports 324 28th November 2017 13:00
Green is the new Black: My 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650 shubhamAT Superbikes & Imports 23 13th December 2014 12:43
2012 Ninja 650 : The Green Goblin kingofmyworld Superbikes & Imports 48 5th August 2013 13:34
2012 Ninja 650 Launched at Rs 4.99 Lacs (Ex-Showroom Delhi) djay99 Superbikes & Imports 102 24th September 2012 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks