Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 22nd November 2012, 16:12   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Rocket, HD Rod or Ducati Diavel?

I have been following this thread for a while now and my 2 cents.

Firstly, the more research you do with a variety of bikes in the mixture, it takes you in various directions getting you more confused. Secondly, if you zero in on one and then start searching international forums etc on how the bike does, there is a good chance you will run away from that bike!! Why? Well in most cases its the small percentage of users that have problems due to either ignorant use, abuse or simply bad luck getting a lemon, whereas the vast majority would be happy riding the particular bike rather than sitting behind a comp keyboard & ranting their frustrations. I will not even go into magazine shoot outs..each one has a different verdict although the difference in their set testing parameter results may be very marginal. Thirdly, one mans food is another mans poison. This just does not apply to the whole bike, but also parts of the bike, like seat, windshield, suspension, looks etc etc...For example, I was never comfortable doing long rides on my HD Sportster, but there are plenty of riders who do long rides on the Sporty & swear by them. Also the BMW GS I presently ride is an absolutely fine touring machine, but I never liked the stock seat from day one. Whereas on GS forums there are plenty of riders who are 'very happy' with the stock seat. Similarly with the K1600GTL that I rode, I found the stock seat very comfortable, but plenty of riders on the net say the seat is rubbish. So it boils down to individual liking.

Coming to your 3 bikes, they all look wonderful in their own right, but to me the Diavel looks the most gorgeous and its packed with a whole lot of goodies. As for the ride I am not qualified to comment on the Diavel & Rocket, but having ridden the Nightrod for more than 200kms, it was probably the most uncomfortable bike I have ridden. So its worthwhile that you try & sit on them or if possible get a TD esp since these bikes will set your purse back by 20-30 large and would be a costly blunder to realize later that particular bike doesn't do it for you.

Lastly, I always feel its difficult & probably not correct to recommend a bike to another person coz each person has a different set of requirements, likes & dislikes, but from what you have described so far taking into consideration- stand out factor, limited usage, not too high speed runs etc...the Harley Fatboy(somebody already mentioned above) would be a nice choice. Its a HD, so 20 years later it still carries its special place in the biking world, its a simple bike so you dont need to spend time & money on complicated maintenance. No need to go searching for 97 Octane petrol. While Sportsters may be flying off the shelf in India, the Fatboy sales are very few so its still a 'relatively rare' bike and if you like to customize it....you have a million options to make it an individual statement of your personality. Its suitable for your weekend starbucks ride. Add an easy detachable windshield & saddlebags and its ready for a long ride. Besides, with Harley sales & service spreading across the country, you have your back covered.

So whatever bike you decide, enjoy the bike and ride safe

Last edited by Haroon : 22nd November 2012 at 16:19.
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Firstly, the more research you do with a variety of bikes in the mixture, it takes you in various directions getting you more confused.
True Haroon, and that's the reason of shortlist and looking no further

Quote:
Secondly, if you zero in on one and then start searching international forums etc on how the bike does, there is a good chance you will run away from that bike!!
Have been following http://www.r3owners.net/ and what you mentioned is just soooooo true

Quote:
Coming to your 3 bikes, they all look wonderful in their own right, but to me the Diavel looks the most gorgeous and its packed with a whole lot of goodies. As for the ride I am not qualified to comment on the Diavel & Rocket, but having ridden the Nightrod for more than 200kms, it was probably the most uncomfortable bike I have ridden. So its worthwhile that you try & sit on them or if possible get a TD esp since these bikes will set your purse back by 20-30 large and would be a costly blunder to realize later that particular bike doesn't do it for you.
Had been to the HD showroom but they didn't have a test ride Night Rod. However, I sat on one display bike to get a feel of the riding position (while the bike was held upright by the sales guy with front wheel between his legs) and could feel the uncofomfortable seating posture!

Quote:
So whatever bike you decide, enjoy the bike and ride safe
Thank you sir!
AlokSriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:53   #33
BHPian

Been reading this thread for sometime now. Have had little experience with these bikes, but the one my heart always loved was the Night Rod, there were times I would just stand and admire it or get the MF and relentlessly wipe a small spot which had a stain. I know it did not have the best posture compared to the ducati or bmw, but it had something that had me mesmerized, my vote is for night rod given u need of heart and considering Harley's investment in India.

NR ticks heart quotient and mind quotient with its service centers
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote