Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 01:28   #16
Newbie
 
augustus23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: indore
Posts: 19
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
May be good news for people looking to buy a higher end Harley Davidson!

Harley Davidson Slashes Price of Softail Range in India by 5.5 Lakhs; Eyes Market Expansion

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/43...cles-india.htm
Thanks Viju! You just made my day!
augustus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 15:24   #17
BHPian
 
lambdaplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Great Info JosePeter! I was actually looking for some info on HDs.
I'm really aspiring to buy a HD, but unfortunately, it'll be at least a few years from now :(
Btw, Do you know whats the power rating of the 883 Iron and SuperLow? They have the same engine in the same tune state, right? The website only says about the Torque!

Also, whats the top speed possible and whats a comfortable cruise speed on good roads (like golden quadrilaterals)?
lambdaplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 15:59   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 18
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Good article josepeter, tempts one to consider putting off a car upgrade in favor of a Harley . It would be nice if you and other Harley owners can throw some light on the real-world (read real-India) impact of such low ground clearances. Your Superlow sits just 100mm off the ground, have you faced problems with speedbreakers, etc?
lordrayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 17:31   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,586
Thanked: 1,261 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Awesome one Jose!

Hope this thread will be updated by you and others who own a Harley.

I remember reading somewhere here that water wash/water should be kept to minimum or so. Is this a right statement? If so, I was wondering how people in Kerala etc would manage one.

Also, can you share the cost involved for various addons/modifications?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 17:54   #20
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: haridwar
Posts: 588
Thanked: 447 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdaplus View Post
Great Info JosePeter! I was actually looking for some info on HDs.
I'm really aspiring to buy a HD, but unfortunately, it'll be at least a few years from now :(
Btw, Do you know whats the power rating of the 883 Iron and SuperLow? They have the same engine in the same tune state, right? The website only says about the Torque!

Also, whats the top speed possible and whats a comfortable cruise speed on good roads (like golden quadrilaterals)?
State of tune,electronic is same for both. Both put out about 55-57 bhp on dyno without mods,on crank it would be around 70 . Top speed goes in excess of 170, highway speeds comfortable would be 110-120.
But then, no one would go on and buy a hd for above mentioned numbers. People after numbers generally go for japs.
I do not own hd!
dustom_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 23:06   #21
BHPian
 
josepeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 413
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Love this thread. Thank you josepeter.
As with your Safari & Bolero mods, you have shown really good taste.
I really liked the pictures here.

It would be nice to see more pictures detailing the mods. If they have already been put up on a different thread, please send me the link.
It's been a dream to own & mod a Harley some day..

Cheers & ride safe,
Sam
I have a thread on my Super low here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...-superlow.html (My Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow!)

It needs update...I shall do that soon enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudarshansarma View Post
I love my super glide..one correction to the post though, the Fat Bob has a 103 CI engine and not the 96. I missed buying this by a few weeks!
Thanks for that Sudarshan! Much Appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Good article josepeter, tempts one to consider putting off a car upgrade in favor of a Harley . It would be nice if you and other Harley owners can throw some light on the real-world (read real-India) impact of such low ground clearances. Your Superlow sits just 100mm off the ground, have you faced problems with speedbreakers, etc?
We shall discuss that on the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Awesome one Jose!

Hope this thread will be updated by you and others who own a Harley.

I remember reading somewhere here that water wash/water should be kept to minimum or so. Is this a right statement? If so, I was wondering how people in Kerala etc would manage one.

Also, can you share the cost involved for various addons/modifications?
Caring for a Harley is surprisingly simple! You can use a lot of water..no issues; but be sure you wipe or use an air compressor to get it all off and apply the necessary protectants. Bikes in coastal states need a little more care ( read that as more frequent washes).

There is one observation though : Harleys that are used regularly have no traces of rust/discoloration etc. But the ones in sheds have all that and more.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
State of tune,electronic is same for both. Both put out about 55-57 bhp on dyno without mods,on crank it would be around 70 . Top speed goes in excess of 170, highway speeds comfortable would be 110-120.
But then, no one would go on and buy a hd for above mentioned numbers. People after numbers generally go for japs.
I do not own hd!
Top speed is upwards of 180, you can cruise all day in the legal speed limit
josepeter is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 14:00   #22
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: haridwar
Posts: 588
Thanked: 447 Times
Default

Budget says bike getting expensive, how much impact its gonna make on harley price? Some throw some light please.
dustom_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 19:37   #23
Newbie
 
augustus23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: indore
Posts: 19
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Budget says bike getting expensive, how much impact its gonna make on harley price? Some throw some light please.


The import duty has been raised from 60% to 75%. I am not sure how will it impact the CKD units but my guess is that the New pricing of the Fat Boy will go up from 14.9 ex show room to approx 16.2 lacs.
augustus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:17   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 9
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Hi josepeter this is a very informative article. Since you are already a owner of a Superlow I thought I will take some clarifications from you. Last monthI took a test ride of the Superlow and liked it immediately.In Kolkata the on road price is 6.5 Lacs and another1 lac will be need for the accessories No engine mods though. Just adding pillion seat, pillon back rest, leg guard, pllion footpegs, tank locks, horn. At Rs.7.50 Lacs I will be seriously stretched to buy this one. Now I have few questions on the practicality of this bike.
1. With a ground clearence of only 100MM will this be a practical bike to ride on our roads where I will encounter gigantic sppedbreakers? I will be using it for touring purpose hence this will go to state highways as well where humps are plenty. I will not have the additional money to do the modification for raising the ground clearence.

2. The HD dealer says even if the bikes underbody hits a bump it will not damage the bike. But my question is what if I hit it at speed. It happened to me many times that I saw an unmarked hump late while I was doing 60+kmph and on my CBR I just stood up on the pegs and rode over the bump. What happens in a superlow? If I hit the bump it it likely that I will be thrown over. Hence I am asking you and other superlow owners advise on this.

3. Do you use normal petrol on the bike or go for 'speed', 'power' equivalent or higher octane petrol.

Looking forward for your advise.
sasen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 18:45   #25
BHPian
 
josepeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 413
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasen View Post
Hi josepeter this is a very informative article. Since you are already a owner of a Superlow I thought I will take some clarifications from you. Last monthI took a test ride of the Superlow and liked it immediately.In Kolkata the on road price is 6.5 Lacs and another1 lac will be need for the accessories No engine mods though. Just adding pillion seat, pillon back rest, leg guard, pllion footpegs, tank locks, horn. At Rs.7.50 Lacs I will be seriously stretched to buy this one. Now I have few questions on the practicality of this bike.
1. With a ground clearence of only 100MM will this be a practical bike to ride on our roads where I will encounter gigantic sppedbreakers? I will be using it for touring purpose hence this will go to state highways as well where humps are plenty. I will not have the additional money to do the modification for raising the ground clearence.

2. The HD dealer says even if the bikes underbody hits a bump it will not damage the bike. But my question is what if I hit it at speed. It happened to me many times that I saw an unmarked hump late while I was doing 60+kmph and on my CBR I just stood up on the pegs and rode over the bump. What happens in a superlow? If I hit the bump it it likely that I will be thrown over. Hence I am asking you and other superlow owners advise on this.

3. Do you use normal petrol on the bike or go for 'speed', 'power' equivalent or higher octane petrol.

Looking forward for your advise.

Good to know that you are looking at a cruiser for long distance riding! The superlow is a very capable cruiser and is also blessed with the best fuel economy in the Harley range along with a large 17L fuel tank. You can do 350 kms between fuel stops.

Now the Achilles heel of the Superlow as u rightly pointed out is its low GC. What are the options available?

1. Raise the front shocks by 5mm on the triple trees. Set the rear shock to max pre-load. This can give you marginal increase in GC and lesser grounding on speed humps. Zero Cost.

2. Tyre upgrade : You can change the rear tyre to a 160mm and the front one to a 120mm one with a higher profile. This can be done when you wear out the first set of tyres; rear lasts 13000 kms and the fronts a little more. A set of Pirellis cost some 10K change.

3. If you still need more GC, look for a used set of rear shocks from an Iron, roadster, 48 or Dyna range. Many owners upgrade their suspension when new, look hard enough; you'll surely find a pair. Used ones can be 50% upwards of the stock price. You could also try air shocks from a Roadking, have seen some come for cheap on ebay. May need a little bit of tinkering around though.

4. Go for a suspension upgrade. Harley has a kit costly roughly 30K for a 30mm raise. You can get similar kits from Progressive suspension and others. Looks for good deals on ebay and amazon.

You should be really lucky to get the perfect set-up in the first try. But you will definitely get the perfect set-up after a few long rides and taking it easy : one mod at a time.

Hope to see you soon in one of the upcoming HOG events! Cheers!
josepeter is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 21:40   #26
BHPian
 
SAHIR.KITTUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgaum / Doha
Posts: 290
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Josepeter,
Thanks a Ton mate. I had promised myself a Harley & now see it turn into a reality. I have made a decision to get myself a 883R. I prefer the same as for its GC.
Suggestions welcome if any.
Cheers.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:01   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: Once
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Will the Superlow be comfortable for 6 footers ? I'm planning on booking one, & my bro who's also a fellow T-bhpian will also be riding it.

Regards,
G D
P180V1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:17   #28
BHPian
 
josepeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 413
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Josepeter,
Thanks a Ton mate. I had promised myself a Harley & now see it turn into a reality. I have made a decision to get myself a 883R. I prefer the same as for its GC.
Suggestions welcome if any.
Cheers.
Congrats on your decision! You will have great fun with 883 R! Its perfect for street riding. Bolt on some loud pipes and you are the lord of the streets. Cheers



Quote:
Originally Posted by P180V1 View Post
Will the Superlow be comfortable for 6 footers ? I'm planning on booking one, & my bro who's also a fellow T-bhpian will also be riding it.

Regards,
G D

We have quite a few really tall guys riding superlows. Two mods are compulsory; forward controls and wider bars. For the latter you could go for nightster or apehangers. Cheers!
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:26   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: Once
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Thanks for the prompt reply Jose, but if we mod the bike as you said would I be able to ride it ? I'm only 5' 6".

Regards,
G D
P180V1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:35   #30
BHPian
 
josepeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 413
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by P180V1 View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply Jose, but if we mod the bike as you said would I be able to ride it ? I'm only 5' 6".

Regards,
G D
I'm 5'4"ish and ride bikes with these mods! No problems
josepeter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley Davidson appoints dealers across India Dippy Superbikes & Imports 96 16th January 2015 21:08
Harley Davidson's in India anjan_c2007 Pre-War 37 8th December 2014 09:11
Harley Davidson models & Prices in India jkdas Superbikes & Imports 71 11th October 2013 01:59
Meet the first woman to buy a Harley-Davidson in India! Pri2 Superbikes & Imports 51 2nd September 2011 14:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks