Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 23:00   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Timeshare Super Bike Club : Is it a good business idea?

Riding a Haybusa or R1 on the Buddh International Circuit for say 10k per event would be totally paisa vasool.
If you can arrange a tie up with the race track, and a bunch of liter class superbikes, i guess you will have a waiting line.
Also get a national level race biker on board for the training and mentorship.

As mentioned by many others, this provides a perfect sandbox for you, with very limited risk and also a perfect experience for members.

Anyways, where apart from a racetrack can you hit the redline of a liter class bike safely?
abeerbagul is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 7th March 2013, 02:19   #17

I think it's a brilliant idea, and I believe this exists in other parts of the world.

Suggestions:

To overcome the problem of inexperience with handling liter bikes, why not have a training session beforehand?

Also, perhaps a tie-up with superbike manufacturers / showrooms? Think of it from this point of view: if you allow people the chance to ride a superbike, that sharply increases the desire for full-blown ownership. It's one thing to dream of owning a superbike but never having even tried it; it's a whole other thing when someone gets a taste first hand of riding one, and then becomes obsessed with the idea of taking the plunge. It's like free advertising. I mean there's an incentive for superbike manufacturers / showrooms to work with you in this endeavor, no?

Just my two paisa.

As for people who say you're charging too much, I disagree. People who really want the experience and convenience will go for it, why not. And you can always reduce prices as demand and popularity rise anyway.
marcussantiago is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 06:59   #18
BHPian

In theory this is exactly the same concept as the supercar clubs which exist all over the world, so there is no reason it should not work as well as those.

The concerns of course come with practical riding conditions (god bless our wonderful roads) and riding skills of the members. Generally it is easier moving from a regular car to a supercar than from say a 100 cc bike to superbike. A car is stable and encourages less showing off. Additionally a superbike is best used on a track. It is safer (no risk of what some other moron rider or driver does, though this applies to a car as well) births biggest benefit of a track for a bike as opposed to a car is safety (easily repairable car body damage as opposed to potentially difficult human body damage).

Would I be interested in such a club. One word: YES.

Please consider the availability of practical and good riding conditions when deciding on where to extend this concept to. Ideally places where tracks exist (Delhi, madras, coimbatore) as you can rent tracks for the day. This of course winds up with you just becoming a track club and I would guess thus defeats the purpose of a rental and increases your work in organizing this. Additionally cruisers are not suited to tracks (superbikes only), which removes a chunk of vehicles and hence clients.

Overall the idea is good but execution may be more of a concern.

Last edited by pganapathy : 7th March 2013 at 07:09.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 09:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

On track or on the road, scrutinizing the probable customer would be the most difficult task.

For track riding as well to ride out on the road, I would prefer something smaller, but due to the Government's laws and the 600cc rule is ridiculous.

On the road, I would prefer riding something like the Ninja 650 or the Bandit (of what is available) and the 796. While SF would be prohibitively expensive.

On track, pick used 1000's or 600's (for now) and rent them out.

Tie up with CSS & Indi Moto & others.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 14:02   #20
BHPian

Most of the stuff has been sorted out (except for a legal angle) and the bikes are getting booked this Wednesday. The one remaining & major challenge is convincing the Transport Department to offer a Yello plate which may work out though it may take some time (till the bike's waiting period gets over) and the summers gets milder. Goa is the only state where rental bikes can be registered on yellow plated.
To start with, the club initially will be invite only.
Will keep updating with developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
The concerns of course come with....
Would I be interested in such a club. One word: YES.
This of course winds up with you just becoming a track club ....
Overall the idea is good but execution may be more of a concern.
Yes, the execution is a challenge but then where do we not have challenges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
On track or on the road, scrutinizing the probable customer would be the most difficult task.
Spot on, Sheel. Profiling is very important to keep the chafe out. However, it has been thought through. One cant have a fool-proof plan but at least a plan where contingencies are factored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
I think it's a brilliant idea, and I believe this exists in other parts of the world.....
Very much, Sir. In fact, there are dedicated clubs as well.
Training will be essential part of riding. Lots of things to be put in the riders head. On a litre class, I would be worried of torque steer the most besides others.
The pricing has to be 1 Re rental per 100 investment to break even in 2 yrs and start making profits in the 3rd year. This covers interest, maintenance, tyres, acidental cover, medical cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
Anyways, where apart from a racetrack can you hit the redline of a liter class bike safely?
That would be the next step as there can be touring, drag, weekend fun groups etc but that would require a start-up some time to reach that financial muscle. At the moment am taking baby steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtorque View Post
Also, you may just want to check whether you are required to pay the entire plethora of duties (import, registration, etc) if you were to use the bikes strictly on the track. I think you may get lucky here. Not sure though.
Appreciate the valuable suggestion and it is being checked.
The rider club also results in converts (trust me quite a few) and if you can show 'tangible' benefits to the manufacturers, they will listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
a good background check is very very essential... ......
Thank smuch Haroon for the time and detailed thought; yes, quite a few already have been thought through and specifics being worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
15K is way too much, buddy. It will be a tough call getting any customers.
1. The cost of renting a 10 lakh sedan is 2K a day.
2. At Club Torque, the effective rental cost per day works out to 20 - 25K per day for a BMW Z4 (that costs 3 - 5 times a Superbike).
3. For 15K EMI a month, I could buy a Kawasaki Ninja 650R or an entry-level Harley.
Rush - Anything below 1 Re return per 100 invested will not work as a business plan. Multiple business plans worked out and all say the same. The car does not get restricted to weekends and the bikes that this club will offer will never be more than 3 yrs old (touche).
Yes you could get a Ninja for 15k EMI but you need to keep paying it every month.
Your predictions generally hold good and I hope for this one time you are proven wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
However, letting someone ride a really powerful machine (however hard they vouch on their riding experience) ........
Appreciate the thought Vinair & yes profiling & initial training will be key. There will also be passive control measures. There still may be an incident, for which there will be insurance. For any others, we will have to leave it to the super power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Best of luck. More bikes = More joy.
Ride Safe.
Thanks! I may trouble you over PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
+1 I am in. Let me know where can I get to ride a Hayabusa for day or week. Sure the membership should he highly selective . Like atleast 50K kms riding experience, more than 25+ years ,etc etc.
More than anything, grey matter where it should be.
OT: I also know, early 20s who are very responsible as students, citizens & riders/drivers. The new generation is actually quite aware and responsible while the other end getting more brash by the day. Point taken and we will focus on profiling & entry.
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 14:09   #21
BHPian

I had rented a CBR 600RR in Pattaya. Excellent bike. Perfect for city riding.
There were lot of superbikes for rent there.
The process was -
1. They take your passport as deposit.
2. Sign insurance documents and other formalities like if the bike is broken etc. the rider needs to pay (I dont remember the exact clauses)
3. Rent amount was 1000 THB per day
4. Fuel was there till the next petrol pump.
5. Once you return the bike, they do a thorough check and return your passport.

Hope it helps.
mikon is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 15:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good Stuff, so this launch would be only for Delhi or would you be planning for other cities as well? I knew of a person in Bangalore who was toying with this idea but gave up because of the sheer scale of economics it takes for one to realize his profits.

Also would you have a club where membership fee is expected or would it be for a ride only charge for it?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 17:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Good Stuff, so this launch would be only for Delhi or would you be planning for other cities as well? I knew of a person in Bangalore who was toying with this idea but gave up because of the sheer scale of economics it takes for one to realize his profits.

Also would you have a club where membership fee is expected or would it be for a ride only charge for it?
Sar you already have a subar bike .

One more idea is existing superbike owners can exchange their bikes to any other similar bike for free . But the superbike owner has the right to decide or alt-east scan the other guy who is renting out his bike . So he has peace of mind .

The SBK owner gets new bike to ride for change .
The renter gets a good bike ,
The person managing the whole thing will get rent .

Last edited by black12rr : 11th March 2013 at 17:35.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 01:05   #24
BHPian

Check out the business model of NYC based Jupiter Motorcycle Rental: http://www.jupitersmc.com/

Yearly membership, point system for credits/refunds and what not. Might give you some creative ideas. Good luck!!
DexterMorgan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 10:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Sar you already have a subar bike .
What to do mate, Life is short and yeh dil maange more With so many candies around I feel like a confused in a topless bar
But therein there are a whole lot of bikes which I can only experience through these means
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 14:41   #26
BANNED

Very interesting concept if it works out. Regarding fractional ownership of aeroplanes (turboprop/jet/piston), the qualifications needed to fly, the licence and medical requirements, the legal implications of the licence of a pilot are of very high standards. Hence there is a well formed framework to base your business upon. Also airplanes are very hard to lose/steal and insurance is on airworthiness and crew qualifications and not on which person flies them.

Regarding fractional superbike/supercar ownership the entry requirement is only money. Licencing in India is a joke as we all know, alcohol checks non existant, road rules are immaterial and lets face it superbikes are easy to ride away, lose or worse steal. People can get all kinds of documents made right from Adhar/Pan/Passport/Credit cards etc etc, so to trust a valuable bike to a fractional owner is very difficult. Its very easy for a person to disappear here if he/she wants to.

Its far easier if the business model was to provide superbikes/cars on rent to run within closed circuits like Budd or Kari. If this model involves the fractional owner buying a timeshare on the bike/s and using it as his/her own for a period of usage, then monitoring, recovery, mantainance etc becomes complicated.

I am not trying to deter this very good concept (after all it brings performance riding to more people), hence tried to put in some pitfalls that I could think of.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 16:16   #27
BHPian

Hi,
Its a sweet topic to discuss but tough to execute in India without getting the business owners BP shooting off the roof in few days of opening the club or the shop.
Well there was such a system 10yrs back in Bangalore. There were these SBK rented out at the cost of Rs3000 to 5000/- per day(depends on how close you knew the owner).
It was usually rented by the Arab chaps for you know what.
The importer made good money out of illegally imported bikes.
So it was a win win situation for both.
In case you have to have a fleet of legal bikes and take care of its abuse and stuff by the riders it sure will not be a profitable business without taxing the customer heavily. IMHO.

I sure will be a member if it works out and you open branches all over the country. Who would not want to if there is a personal gain? Its all about giving the customer a sweet deal and make a profit of it.

Last edited by Visaster : 23rd March 2013 at 16:19.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:38   #28
BHPian

Without getting into the specifics; let's just say that red tape is taking time.
There needs to be a notification allowing self drive rental option for a 2 wheeler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
I had rented a CBR 600RR in Pattaya. Excellent bike. Perfect for city riding.
Hope it helps.
That's how it ideally should work but tracking people or bikes in India would be like a needle in a hay stack so something else has been thought through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Agree. It would be membership & pay per ride after becoming a member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Very interesting concept if it works out. .....I am not trying to deter this very good concept (after all it brings performance riding to more people), hence tried to put in some pitfalls that I could think of.
Couldn't agree more. However; trying to find a way. Lets see if it works.
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 12:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Whats the latest updates ?

Something interesting - http://boltsuperbikes.com/
"Bike on Rent We offer you the cheapest way to live your dream and experience the adventure to ride the best by renting our super bikes on per day basis. We ensure that all the bicycles we rent out are in top-notch condition so that the rider experiences the pure please of riding an imported bike. All the required accessories are provided by us."
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 12:51   #30
BHPian

Great Idea. The two wheeler rental model in Goa comes in mind. Though they do not give superbikes but studying the model would be better for you. You could learn from there mistakes instead making one yourself.

The pricing plays an important part. A 50K scooter in Goa will cost you 100-150 bucks a day. Going by just pure maths, a 10 Lac bike's rental should be approx 2k a day.

Last edited by PapaBravo : 29th May 2013 at 12:52. Reason: Spelling
PapaBravo is online now   Reply With Quote