Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 20th August 2015, 21:44   #121
BANNED

Meanwhile! Got another 1250kit for a friend. This is going to be 7th 1250 in India. Also got Power vision along with the kit for him.
Will install it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-1440087258414.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-1440087283452.jpg  

dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 20:44   #122
BANNED

Beautiful iron! Had to post it!
Attached Images

dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 21:41   #123
BHPian

Default re: Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Meanwhile! Got another 1250kit for a friend. This is going to be 7th 1250 in India. Also got Power vision along with the kit for him.
Will install it soon.
Can you please help me with what is this Power Vision? Seems like a dashboard?

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 21:52   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Can you please help me with what is this Power Vision? Seems like a dashboard?

Rachit
It is a custom dash display. But primarily it is an EFI tuner. Gives you freedom to alter your ECU - OEM tune as well as custom made tunes.
You can alter AFR ratios , spark timing, idle , rev limit , can even change how ECU reacts to various sensors signals.
All this can be monitored and recorded .
It can also act like a data recorder and later you can analyse that data on a PC to make changes.
On display you can have own custom gauges to display things like revs,AFR,engine temp,manifold pressure, lambda voltages , injector duty cycle , incoming air temp , trip economy , instant economy and what not.

It is currently most powerful tool in Harley efi tuning world.
Dynojet has just now released a new attachment called Target tune, couple it with a power vision and you can even tune a rocket ship.

Also Gives you wonderful F1 styled telemetry , this gadget helped me shave of 1.5sec of my 0-100 times.

Last edited by dustom_99 : 21st August 2015 at 22:11.
Old 21st August 2015, 22:12   #125
BANNED

A screenshot of my rides data.
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-1440175304116.jpg  

Old 8th September 2015, 21:17   #126
BANNED

OK guys here is a little update. I visited capital Gurgaon workshop . first workshop visit in over 2 years I suppose.
I was there for service as it was due, oil filter change , rear brake line change , rear brake light bulb change, front brake pads and of course engine oil.
So gave my bike in and was waiting in lounge. After a while got bored and decided to take a stroll . lo and behold there it was- SAE60. Engine oil from HD.
I never knew HD had there own sae 60 as well.
So approached service manager to use it for my bike. He said NO! That is only for display and is actually past its expiry date.
For the display? I asked- there are 10 frikin cans rite there on the shelf. You can display one and give me the rest.
Background- I have been thinking of making an oil cooler for the bike for quite sometime, because when sporty gets Hot ( in traffic or whatever) it makes people ask if it is a diesel bike.
Largely due to hydraulic lifters in valve train. Once the oil gets hot enough , hydraulic lifters start bleeding it more than required and result is all that valve clatter.
So to save myself all that work , what better than a straight weight 60.
But that guy wasn't buZZING.
I even told him I am ready to buy your expired stock ( after all its for a motorcycle ,not for me) at full mrp but he said can't be done.
So then I spoke to dealer principle, used a bit of leverage of my profession and that gentleman said he will see what he can do.
In 15 mins I was informed non expired sae60 is available and will be used in my bike .

Now coming to the review of SAE60HD. They say it was formulated in JV with pennizoil or whatever for race applications. So after the service I left workshop at around 5.50, got caught in worst possible traffic jam ,not for a km or two but for 40frikin kilometres. Rite from Gurgaon to DND flyway to greater noida.
Got challan by police for riding on Footpath , took R frikin hours from Gurgaon to noida but today is not a day to complain.
SAE60 is my engine oil hence forth and end of time. Standing 15mins on a spot and then putting the bike into gear only to move forward by 2 foot and than long eternal wait for that next 3 foot. Damn! Want possessed my motor? It isn't sounding weird, it isn't sounding diesel like ,clattering away to glory , it isn't even a sewing machine anymore. What more can I say.

And it cost me 450/Lt while HDsynth 20w50 is some 900/Lt. What a waste!

Last edited by dustom_99 : 8th September 2015 at 21:31.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 21:27   #127
BANNED

And yes The lady completed sexy 28. Every one knows , they are most curvy at 28 and am I loving it!
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-1441727798741.jpg  

Old 8th September 2015, 21:55   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
It is a custom dash display. But primarily it is an EFI tuner. Gives you freedom to alter your ECU - OEM tune as well as custom made tunes.
You can alter AFR ratios , spark timing, idle , rev limit , can even change how ECU reacts to various sensors signals.
All this can be monitored and recorded .
It can also act like a data recorder and later you can analyse that data on a PC to make changes.
On display you can have own custom gauges to display things like revs,AFR,engine temp,manifold pressure, lambda voltages , injector duty cycle , incoming air temp , trip economy , instant economy and what not.

It is currently most powerful tool in Harley efi tuning world.
Dynojet has just now released a new attachment called Target tune, couple it with a power vision and you can even tune a rocket ship.

Also Gives you wonderful F1 styled telemetry , this gadget helped me shave of 1.5sec of my 0-100 times.
Thank you very much for the explanations.
It does sound pretty cool. Will search it more on the internet.

By the way, your ride is awesome.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 20:17   #129
BANNED

So yesterday , when service guys recommended new air filter , as this one was completely choked , I went for stage 1. And I did change the grips as well.
Rear brake line was changed and I came to know about silent recall for horn side switch , dealer game me new horn and new wiring, and new horn switch (FOC) . brake pads were changed , oil filter and several o rings. Also bought chrome and bare metal polish.
I was looking through the window into the workshop from lounge area all the while my bike was up on the lift. When most of the work was done , the tech wanted to take it for a trial run, he got it off the lift , started it, let it idle for a little while. Gets it into gear and start playung with accelerator while releasing the clutch almost rams it into the tool trolley! I saw his lips moving "BC" . He was frozen for a while,I knocked in glass window, he shut off the bike and came to me in lounge.
I told him to take it easy with throttle, he said even vrod doesn't give that type of initial reaction. I told him its partly because if race clutch and partly because of 1250. His last words were- bechoge to mere ko batana. Bhaut sare log aate hai performance badhwane , unmai Se kissi ko beach dunga.
All was great until I received a bill of 32k. Damn32k. My best friend texted me , you know you could buy a splendour for that and some change!
Old 9th September 2015, 20:21   #130
BANNED

Here is the copy of the bill, for reference of spare parts cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-1441810221430.jpg  

Old 10th September 2015, 00:32   #131
BANNED

I forgot to throw in the initial impression about Stage 1 filter. Before this I was running stock filter and a rune provided by Hammer performance , which I had dialled in near perfect by several sessions of auto tune.
So right after service I get the bike started and get going. Shortly after I hit massive traffic jam and decided to shut off. When I tried to fire it up again I was greeted with abnormally long fire up time. 10-15 seconds of continued cranking will start it. No error codes no leads.
I knew something wasn't right.
So I got going again , but decided to keep an eye on various inputs the power vision display was giving me.
Abnormal o2 voltages at all times, yes that's right , O2 sensors tell AFR , but usually starting enrichment is a separate table and even a stupidly lean bike will start alright as starting AFR is very different than riding afr .
I put power vision in auto tune mode and started riding.
There it is 26% correction on the first cell itself- 0% throttle and 30kpa. I rode about 20km on auto tune mode and almost whole of the fuel.map changed itself.
After I applied the corrected tune , bike behaved itself during starting as well , just 2-3 sec of self engagement and it came to life.
So lesson learned- although starting AFR is separate and has its own values punched in ,but it picks up base VE values from the main fuel map. Now if the base map is wrong , all other tables are affected too.
And that stage 1 filter rocks!
Stronger acceleration and loads of top end power.
Volumetric efficiency went up by 15-20% for most of the map. I guess I just got myself 15% or so more power.
Soon will log some high speed runs and try to compare it with older logs I have for 0-160 times. True indicators of BHP gain.
Old 5th April 2016, 18:17   #132
BANNED

First of all, a ton of thanks to moderators and GTO for lifting the ban .
Its time to update my ownership thread.
Recently I Designed , fabricated and tuned what should be India's First Turbo Harley Davidson.
This Turbo application is completely designed from ground up and is not a copy of how people do it in USA. They usually hang the Turbo onto the intake manifold on sportsters or place it protruding outside on Left or right side of front cylinder on other Harleys.
I thought about it for a while and made a system design that utilized just enough space right below the fuel tank for it to go completely underneath. I had to relocate thing like Ignition coil , Ignition key , lots of electrical but it all turned out pretty good .
Another part that is good is that My EFI design uses Stock ECU to handle all functions . No external ECU is installed and System is still in close loop.
It is still ( Like OEM) MAP sensor based Timing and fuel control Instead of Alpha-N as used by most of the Turbo installs on Cars .
This saves tons of problems faced by Garage installed Turbo cars and bikes as this prevents conflicts between Aftermarket control unit and stock control unit. Also factory reliability (Electrical) is maintained as no additional wiring harness or couplers or cutting and chopping of wires is done. Specially Part Throttle response is better as it still uses MAP pressure to compute load on engine , whereas Alpha -N does not consider different ignition timing for different loads.

Apart from blood and sweat that went into the fabrication , the major headache was calibrating the EFI system to accept boost and act accordingly.
After almost two months of playing with various sensors and voltages and what not, finally I have a tune that behaves like a factory tuned vehicle. Starts like an OEM , Idles like an OEM and does not generate fault codes.
And of course then there is that boost , 7 PSI of it currently , It has woken up a Few monsters and devils in that Old school 1250.
Here are some Initial shots, Excuse the quality of pictures , I am no photographer and have very little interest in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-gher.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-harkipauri.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-mahindra.jpg  

dustom_99 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 15:13   #133
BANNED

So this mild Turbo addition has given me additional 25-30 bhp at a very conservative 7psi and at a lower RPM.
I am still ironing out the tune with data collection ( Largely the Spark timing part as it is not taken care by Auto tune) , I did take her to 10psi but had some knocking issues there because of injectors running out of duty cycle.
I already have 25% larger injectors from Screaming eagle parts but I guess she wants even bigger.
We will see when it happens, for now she is running absolutely like a factory product , no leaks , no unwanted hassles. Even at 7 PSI she has roll on figures to die for.
75kph to 125kph in 3.1 seconds top gear roll on. That is a long shot from what she did when she arrived from factory.
Here is some data from one of a tunening run, at conservative Spark timings.

At 75kph record time is at 144.0xx and at 147.2 we already have 127kph.
I am glad that she is still an everyday rider.
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-gra2.png  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-turbo1.png  

dustom_99 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 10:58   #134
BANNED

Here is a sound clip. Classic American Hotrod.
This clip is from before the road tune phase, it had its AFR all over the place that time.
Old 9th April 2016, 12:49   #135
BANNED

I have now completed first month on Turbo, most of it was spent on data collection and refining the tune.
Total mileage has now gone above 1000km. 90% of it has been in city usage.
Also installed really big sucker from K&N. Had no other choice, Big size really helps with spool up times and minimizing lag.
Major experience that set this boosted ride apart from usual high power motorcycles :- It not only gains speed when you twist your wrist, but rate of acceleration keeps increasing as well. It reaches almost dangerous levels as the boost builds up.
Specially in 3rd gear it is at its scary best when accelerating from 70/80kph to 120 or so.
As G forces pile on your body, your arms feel as if you are hanging vertically.
It is such an awesome feeling, sitting upright, so close to the ground and enjoying that torque wave.

Both the filter and the Exhaust down tube extend out of both sides about 2 inch. Whole turbo system is below fuel tank and is most compact design implemented on a Harley Davidson.
Attached Thumbnails
Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-kn.jpg  

Dustom's Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1250 is now Turbocharged-gher2.jpg