Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 11th June 2013, 00:39   #1
BHPian

Default Where can I buy a full Harley Evo Engine

The chopper bug has bitten me and my friend. We have already zeroed in on the frame (an old lightning 535 lying in our garage without an Engine). I guess the frame can be modified to look like a chopper. Now the next part is to get an Engine, we don't want a small 500cc engine, we need the real deal -- a Harley Evolution engine.

The question is how much is a new complete Harley evolution Engine going to cost and where can we get it? Will the HoG dealers in India have one? Or do we have to import it from US&A? Please help me out guys!

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2013 at 15:37. Reason: PM coming up
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:16   #2
BANNED

Default Re: Where can I buy a full Harley Evo Engine

Hi there.

Engines are available off ebay, and some Harley dealers in the US. Harley has an engine purchase program, usually for existing customers, but doubt if implemented in India. So, your best bet will be importing from the US.

If you decide to import, be prepared to shell out anywhere from $3k to $6k for the engine, $1k to $2k for the transmission, at least a $1k for transportation and then 30% tax.

You might fight cheaper used parts from wrecked bikes on ebay, but you will have to spend a lot of time searching.

If money is not an object, then you have several options including S&S engines, which is what most custom builders use.

But even if you do manage to get the engine and transmission, be aware that it weighs a lot more than what the RE frame was designed for. You will have to strengthen the frame, or make a custom frame, which is not the easiest thing to do. Then you will have to upgrade the suspension to handle the extra weight as well.

Good Luck.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Goodluck Leepower, really interesting project. Reminds me of the American Chopper and Biker Build Off programmes.

However isn't it better to source engine first and build a custom frame to fit it considering the fact that frame is not the most expensive thing in your project?

Also the street legality of these custom mades could be a real problem too. There should be a way out for sure .
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just in case if you have not seen this already - Here is the mother of all custom Harley build threads I have seen in India - I am sure you can take some cues and inspirations from this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...hd-fatboy.html (Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy)

@Jacs: If you haven't done it already, go through this thread
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 18:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
If money is not an object, then you have several options including S&S engines, which is what most custom builders use.
But even if you do manage to get the engine and transmission, be aware that it weighs a lot more than what the RE frame was designed for. You will have to strengthen the frame, or make a custom frame, which is not the easiest thing to do
S&S engines is an Australian co, right? What other options do I have? Money is never a problem. And yes I am aware that the frame has to be strengthened...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Reminds me of the American Chopper and Biker Build Off programmes. Also the street legality of these custom mades could be a real problem too
Guess where I the inspiration came from? Who said the gaadi is going to be steet legal? Even if we make a minor modification on a normal bike it become illegal. And here I am planning to make a whole motorcycle. I can live with that, I guess!
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 23:48   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
S&S engines is an Australian co, right? What other options do I have? Money is never a problem. And yes I am aware that the frame has to be strengthened...
S&S is an American V Twin engine supplier. Surely you must have seen/heard about them on the numerous bike building shows on TV.

http://www.sscycle.com/product/X-Wed...s/Engines-c47/

Suggest you start browsing some HD/ V Twin forums to get pointers on the universe that custom bike building is.

Cheers.

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote