Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 24th August 2014, 19:58   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
Have you raised the GC by any means? Can you elaborate on on the mods done to your bike and the bob also in detail
Superlow is complete stock mechanically. I have just set the rear suspension to the stiffest setting to counter the bad roads and my weight...lolz. The stock rubber is pretty decent and I would not like to change and neither do I feel it is needed to be changed. The Bob has undergone about a lac worth of mods in total which I have already detailed earlier. Half of the parts changed are second hand (like the rear tyre, sissy bar, headlight) which were being disposed off by some other biker on which he got very good deals (around 50% of the OE price). Front tyre/rim costed him around 30-35k. And some he had fabricated in his own factory like the crash guard e.g. No other major mod in his bike either i.e. to the engine etc. except the baffles which cost around 20k.

But I advice you not to think about all this so soon. Just get your bike first, ride it for a few months and gradually think of changing things. Remember, that you will definitely need to change your mindset initially, if you have ridden only lighter Indian bikes.The ride is stiffer than my Karizma but that aids handling and cornering tremendously. You will need to slow down on probably some nasty speed bumps. You will need to give respect to the 260kg of iron you are lugging. Once you come to terms with these facts over a few months, you will gradually love to appreciate and love this pocket rocket, as I have.

Last edited by dkaile : 24th August 2014 at 20:10.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 22:35   #392
BHPian

Dhiraj and other HOGs - have you ridden the Street bob as well? How do you compare with the super low. and what is your opinions.
Witing is getting into my head. So thought about Street Bob though I don't like the spoked wheels. (and also the fact that I have to shell out extra money - about 5L more + more again for the xtras). May be i can get it quicker compared to the Superlow.
Shubz ji what is your take on this?
SDRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 03:13   #393
BHPian

I have ridden the Street Bob. When compared with the Sportster family, I say it has a better ride. And coupled with the ape handle bars it would make a very comfortable long distance cruiser. It comes with Mid controls from the factory, so if you convert them to forward controls, it will be even more comfortable.

However there is a flip side. The spoked wheels may become an issue on our roads. They are more prone for punctures and as far as I know it is very difficult to get the puncture fixed from your local tyre shop.

I found the handling to be a bit inferior when compared to the Sportsters and Softails. Or maybe its a matter of perspective. I think the ape handlebar, Mid controls and low seating position may have been the culprit.
TheStig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 07:54   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
have you ridden the Street bob as well? How do you compare with the super low.
Having owned a sportster- low & driven Street Bob for fair distances , there will be appreciable differences in both & It will all depend on budget you have kept for this purchase. Dyna family bikes feel & are much bigger , have more power & far better ride quality . Remember Basic minimum accessories on Street Bob - Forward Controls + Rear Seat + Pegs + Screaming eagles - about 1,5 Lac . If you add Alloys it will be much more . Almost a Lac of similar accessories goes into sportster as well .

If you are OK with 11 Lac + Accessories budget then do look at Indiana - Scout & Triumph Storm but if you have lower budget & must need a cruiser then at the moment Super Low is the very best you can get at the price range .

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th August 2014 at 07:56.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 10:14   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have you ridden the Street bob as well? How do you compare with the super low. and what is your opinions.
The biggest advantage with the Bob is the 1600cc engine at the lowest price point in Harley. Other than that I am not a fan of either its wheels which get bent on our Indian roads constantly or its mini ape hangers which will definitely give you a arm ache on longer runs. The Superlow is the most comfortable once you set the rear suspension properly or upgrade it, better maneuverable and easiest to live with. But if you have a 11 lac budget I would go the Indian Scout with my eyes closed. I am not a big fan of the Triumph as parallel twins are not my cup of tea. I do not like how they look or sound. The V-twins add so much character that sure makes them the real classics.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 10:23   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The biggest advantage with the Bob is the 1600cc engine at the lowest price point in Harley. Other than that I am not a fan of either its wheels which get bent on our Indian roads constantly or its mini ape hangers which will definitely give you a arm ache on longer runs. The Superlow is the most comfortable once you set the rear suspension properly or upgrade it, better maneuverable and easiest to live with. But if you have a 11 lac budget I would go the Indian Scout with my eyes closed. I am not a big fan of the Triumph as parallel twins are not my cup of tea. I do not like how they look or sound. The V-twins add so much character that sure makes them the real classics.
Plus with Polaris involved in engine design , the scout is a no-brainer at that price point. You are assured of engineering excellence.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 10:34   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Dhiraj and other HOGs - have you ridden the Street bob as well? How do you compare with the super low. and what is your opinions.
Witing is getting into my head. So thought about Street Bob though I don't like the spoked wheels. (and also the fact that I have to shell out extra money - about 5L more + more again for the xtras). May be i can get it quicker compared to the Superlow.
SDram, if you have the budget go for the Bob, You can do the upgrades slowly. I find the ride of dyna better than the sportsters. My gut feel if you go for the alloys and other basic accessories you will need to spend about 2.5 lakhs.

I would not recommend the Scout to you, as the showroom is only in Delhi and as you are based in Bangalore the service can be an issue. And if you don't bother about the community you could look at Storm.
sreejith.j is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 11:42   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
as the showroom is only in Delhi and as you are based in Bangalore the service can be an issue
I recollect having seen one in Ahmedabad Polaris as they sell Indiana as well about 2 Year back but those were all very expensive - with the new model I am sure its matter of time before Banglore dealer starts selling or check they might be actually selling

http://www.polarisind.in/atv-dealers...lore-karnataka
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 12:04   #399
BHPian

Thanks brothers - @thestig, @turbanator, @dkaile, @absynthguzzler and @sreejith.j for all your valuable inputs.

Since I have booked the superlow already, going in for the Scout is difficult though not impossible(will lose 30 grand - flat). The Scout has an impressive GC of 135mm, more compared to superlow or the Bob though. Not heard its exhausts also.

As Sreejith has pointed out rightly it may be very difficult for us from south to get a bike from Delhi - thinking of maintainance and service. Storm from triumph also crossed my thoughts but at that point of price, I would rather go with the Fat Boy - a dream to be owned at a later point in time - after getting used to the Superlow, growing out of it and then more importantly - also getting the required rokka (i.e., money - in kannada esp the northern parts).Almost same budget as my Hyundai neo elantra!!

@turbanotor, I used to see a dealership of Polaris in Bangalore(on the Kanakapura Road close to Yediyur) - your link shows the same one - but now a days I am not finding it there - maybe it has been removed from there. Maybe they shifted. Will verify later.
SDRam is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 12:55   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
going in for the Scout is difficult though not impossible(will lose 30 grand - flat).
I think you can pick merchandise from Harley in lieu of this advance

PS ::
Quote:
then more importantly - also getting the required rokka (i.e., money - in kannada esp the northern parts)
rokka - in Punjabi / north is like - commitment mostly used in context of marriage
Old 29th August 2014, 14:23   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I have booked the superlow already, going in for the Scout is difficult though not impossible(will lose 30 grand - flat). The Scout has an impressive GC of 135mm, more compared to superlow or the Bob though. Not heard its exhausts also.

As Sreejith has pointed out rightly it may be very difficult for us from south to get a bike from Delhi - thinking of maintainance and service. Storm from triumph also crossed my thoughts but at that point of price, I would rather go with the Fat Boy - a dream to be owned at a later point in time - after getting used to the Superlow,
Those were my plans exactly. Upgrade to the Fat Boy couple of years down the line. As of now Indian has only one dealership in the country at Gurgaon. So for people based in South its gonna be tricky getting service. But remember like a Harley, Indian too is a true blooded bike, with lots of history behind it. The 2015 Indian Scout is supposedly state of the art with even the throttle being fly by wire, all that encompassed in a true V-Twin based cruiser shell. This has changed the game for me. I don't care for the community much and have been on only one company based ride. Its the machine and the character it reflects that's more important to me. It feels so stupid to me when some people associate Harley with just the community and the group rides. Unless the hardware is right no amount of community can really survive. I will wait for at least 6 months for its worldwide and Indian feedback because as you must be aware its just been launched at Sturgis this year. Maybe by then the Fat Boy upgrade may be changed to the Scout. As at the end of the day the Superlow and Scout are still more practical bikes for our crowded road conditions.

Last edited by dkaile : 29th August 2014 at 14:30.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 15:57   #402
BHPian

Quote:
My friend if this is your first Super Bike and in case you are not very tall (6 ft) then I suggest you start with Super low and look at other upgrades like Fat Boy, Indian or even Triumph depending on your individual choice as you may end of upgrading after few years.

From my perspective Street bob is very good on straight lines and may be little tricky on curves. For me superlow T1200 in case if it gets launched here next year is an amazing option with loads of upgrade options.

Suggest that you always look at an option lower than going all out on your investment unless you have that spare cash to spare as accessories @ Harley are damn expensive. You would need to keep at least 2.5 L for basic things like pillion seat + Petrol Cap with lock + pillion foot pegs, Back Rest + your riding gear + cleaning kit + SE exhaust + SE intake kit and what not...

Our market is opening up now with lot many options like Scount and other options and it is matter of time that these dealers setup shop in the south. Also the resell of an Harley would mean at least 30%+ depreciation depending on the LOW in case you want to sell and upgrade to a better one.

In my opinion Superlow with loads of accessories or "Fat BOB / BOY" is a better option than either 48 or Street bob and eventual upgrade.

Again this is my personal opinion and not necessarily backed with any data

Looking forward to meet you in one of the HOG rides soon
Dust_Harl is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 13:46   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion Superlow with loads of accessories or "Fat BOB / BOY" is a better option than either 48 or Street bob and eventual upgrade.
I will like to differ from my experience , instead of picking up something lower & adding accessories , better pick a higher model with less extras . If you sell highly accessorized model resale takes a big hit as people always tend to compare prices with Ex Showroom prices . Besides you can always add extra on bike at later stage which will be better then selling something & upgrading ..
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:14   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If you sell highly accessorized model resale takes a big hit as people always tend to compare prices with Ex Showroom prices.
I agree, that happens with almost every car/mo-bike, if at all the accessories get the value down if they are done outside the showroom, speaking from my car experience.

However I still think that there are lot of cool options to go for with the superlow in case one is planning to have it for a long time (myself included).

To name a few:
- 1200cc flash kit (1L + Labor)
- Ape handlebars, seating, sissy bars, chrome, SE Ex etc (1.2~1.5L)

bringing it to a total of 6.5 + 2.5/3 = 9~9.5 OTR, still a cheaper and better (for me) choice than the 48. Streetbob is a different ball game altogether though.
abhimanyu_singh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 19:09   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
To name a few:
- 1200cc flash kit (1L + Labor)
-

The Big bore kit is not legal in India as you cannot change the engine specifications after its entered in the RC. HD India and HD dealers do not support it. That is the only issue with this upgrade. Else as you pointed out its a VFM opportunity.
sreejith.j is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote