Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 3rd May 2015, 14:45   #556
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
how did you wash your Superlow?
I washed it infrequently and only when it was really muddy. A pressure wash once a month should do the job. Use 2 micro fiber cloths. 1st to wipe off all excess water and 2nd dry one to shine out the bike. I used Formula 1 polish every 10 days to give a nice sheen to the paint and chrome parts and Waxpol vinyl and leather liquid polish to shine the black parts. The aluminum parts and headers require a little more stubborn effort to keep up the shine. But if you employ a regular cleaning regime it should work. It worked pretty well for me.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2015, 15:01   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I washed it infrequently and only when it was really muddy. A pressure wash once a month should do the job. Use 2 micro fiber cloths. 1st to wipe off all excess water and 2nd dry one to shine out the bike. I used Formula 1 polish every 10 days to give a nice sheen.
Sir I read online that pressure wash was bad for the paint job, with a risk of swirls? How was your experience?
KhalDrogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2015, 15:21   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
pressure wash was bad for the paint job, with a risk of swirls? How was your experience?
Like I said I did that very infrequently and only on parts that had dirt and grime stuck in like the lower portions of the bike or the engine fins, not on the paint job. A damp cloth was the most frequent way to clean the bike and then a shine with soft micro fiber cloth.
Old 4th May 2015, 00:22   #559
BANNED

Quote:
Dhiraj sir, (or anyone who can answer is most welcome), how did you wash your Superlow? I usually wipe it almost daily, but after a few long rides, a wipe isn't enough to get the grime out of my bike, in hard to reach places. So how do you wash it without damaging the paint or electricals in any way
I will let you in on a not so secret "secret".

WD-40.

Spray liberally in hard to reach and grimy places BEFORE washing with soap. Let it sit for a few minutes. It will bring the black back.

Avoid spraying on brake rotors and main painted areas like tank, fender, etc. No harm to the finish, but unwanted.

DO NOT panic when you see smoke coming when you start the bike after the WD40 wash. It's just the excess evaporating.

I like to start the bike and fan the smoke after I am done, which makes my dog think I've gone crazier than usual.

I don't use my pressure washer so much, not because I am against it, because I'm too lazy to hook it up. A hose with an adjustable nozzle seems to do just fine for me.

What I would recommend all Harley owners to get is a blower/drier like this:

http://www.flipkart.com/bosch-skil-f...6-f2e0ae9ea862

Will save you tons of time drying the bike, especially the fin areas. You know what I mean.
Cheers

Ride Safe.

Last edited by gthang : 4th May 2015 at 00:29. Reason: Add more.
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 09:04   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
I will let you in on a not so secret "secret".

WD-40.

Spray liberally in hard to reach and grimy places BEFORE washing with soap. Let it sit for a few minutes. It will bring the black back.

Avoid spraying on brake rotors and main painted areas like tank, fender, etc. No harm to the finish, but unwanted.
Thank you Gthang. Much appreciated advice and information. Never even thought of a blower to dry it. No chance of scratches at all, then.
Old 12th May 2015, 19:39   #561
BHPian

Hi Dheeraj,

How are you doing? Congratulations on your Heritage Classic, I am was very much fascinated with your in-depth review on Superlow. Believe it or not, I am now convinced on going for a Harley that too Superlow only after reading your posts. Till then I was only researching on RE Continental GT.

I had a question on the Ground Clearance. In several posts you have mentioned about not facing any issues in particular while you owned the bike. When I contacted the dealers they insisted on raising the height as lot of Superlow customers come back after the first service to get the suspension height raised. Is this really needed? Will it really help? Can you please shed dome light on this?
kk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 19:52   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk28 View Post
had a question on the Ground Clearance. In several posts you have mentioned about not facing any issues in particular while you owned the bike. When I contacted the dealers they insisted on raising the height as lot of Superlow customers come back after the first service to get the suspension height raised. Is this really needed? Will it really help? Can you please shed dome light on this?
The ground clearance of the Superlow is indeed low and you do need to change your riding style while going over speed bumps. That is in fact true for most Harleys. But once you do start slowing down on the speed breakers and get used to the suspension, it become an absolute pleasure to ride especially on the highways. What you can do is set the stock rear shockers to their stiffest settings. That did make a difference slightly in my case. Also remember that the stock suspension setup is more on a harsher side when compared to the normal Indian bikes. But then this isn't a Hero Honda, is it...lolz.

Also remember that once you buy a Harley then the Harley TAX follows i.e. you will find the urge as well as the need to upgrade many stock things on the bike, first and foremost being the exhausts, which is usually followed by the grips, the seat, the suspension etc. etc. But then there are options galore to suit each persons individual needs and requirements.

Happy Biking...
Old 19th February 2016, 22:36   #563
BHPian

I'm a recent owner of a pre-worshipped superlow that I got last month from a fellow Bhpian @Dust_Harl. I'm using it as a daily driver in my small town (Chitradurga) and have already logged 800+kms on it.

The bike is in great condition but the other day while riding the rear wheel just lost air rapidly while driving luckily I managed to stop it. Got the puncture guy (i thought it was flat) but on inspection he found that the tyre had weathered completely at one place and simply given way! on his advice i drove the bike back to my home at about 10kmph (he said since its a radial it was perfectly safe unless i hit the potholes which could damage the alloys and the bearings).

Back home (was really a nightmare trying to control the bike-it was just swaying this way and that- about 2kms) I called up Arvind (@Dust_Harl) and told him about the incident. He was surprised that the rear tyre gave way this soon but immediately shared his RSA no. so that the bike could be towed to Bangalore and briefed me about the possible costs involved.

I called up the service manager Hemant and he said that tyre burst/damage is not covered under RSA and unless the vehicle has mechanical/electric faults causing its immobility the RSA would charge me the towing charges! so the final tally i was looking at according to him was-

Rs 18000/- for the scorcher 11 tyre

Rs 2000/- Tyre changing charges

and Rs 10000/-odd as the towing charges!

Needless to say i was shocked and miffed at the total amount and having to spend more than a day to get 200kms to Bangalore and back.

Researched a bit on YouTube and Google and found that there were more tyre options and that thought the procedure was complicated to change the tyre it was not impossible. Downloaded the tyre replacement and wheel alignment videos and went to my trusted car mechanic and showed him those and asked if he could do it. (he's pretty skilled in cars) He agreed.

Then started hunting for tyres both on-line and offline. Found that though there a few options on-line (cheaper by Rs600- Rs1000) it would take about 15 days to deliver the tyre to my place. (Now i wasn't willing to wait that long). So decided that i would put the MRF RevZ 150/60/R17 use it in the city and drive down to Bangalore when time permits and switch to options from Michelin or Pirelli.

The MRF dealer which i first visited was closed so moved to another place where i found that the dealer dealt in multiple brands and he has a catalogue which listed the Michelin Street pilot 150/60/R17 at an MRP of Rs 6600/-. This spiked my interest as the Michelin speed rating was a H(210kmph) against the W(270kmph) of the scorcher 11 and the risky T(150kmph) of the MRF. Also the load rating on it was the same 300kgs for the scorcher 11 as against the 200kgs of the MRF. So decided there to go for the Michelin and asked for the final price and whether it would be available the next morning. The dealer didn't confirm the price but assured delivery the next day.

The next day (a Sunday) went to collect the tyre but it had not arrived from the transport office. So I drove down to the office and got the tyre (also got the original bill for it there!) The dealer price for the tyre was Rs 4055/-! he wanted to charge me the full mrp but I argued and settled the bill for Rs5600/- which was also the CSP on the list (customer selling price) the MRF was for Rs3700/- (online Rs3100/-)

On the way picked up my car mechanic Mr Praveen, his assistant, the hydraulic jack , tools and the torque wrench. We did a quick rewind of the videos and set up.

-jacked up the bike on a hydraulic jack using a plywood piece in between as a spacer . (ideally two jacks are needed and one in them should be for bikes- we didn't have these)

-stabilized it on jiffy stand

-removed the first slip-on (needed to nut on support bracket and on the slip-on. also needed to loosen the bracket on the upper pipes and in the process needed to remove the upper and lower heat shields of the first slip-on)

-removed the upper metal and lower plastic belt cover( realized later the lower cover could be removed by only loosening the bolts and sliding no need to remove all the bolts)

-removed the brake caliper (supported it on the rear foot-peg-not to be kept hanging)

-loosen the safety pin and loosened axle and removed the drive belt.

-removed the the axle and slowly lowered the tyre.

-Had to remove the brake disc and the belt sprocket.

-took the tyre to a wheel alignment centre and had it replaced and air refilled

-unfortunately nowhere in Chitradurga bike wheel balancing is available so had to skip it.

-redid all the steps in reverse to refit the tyre.

-greased the axle and using the torque wrench tightened it to 60 pounds per inch.

-using a steel tape did the wheel alignment

-checked the belt stiffness using the 45 degree technique (i think the belt is a bit loose though)

and Viola! it was done!

The entire process took two hours +1 hour for tyre replacement! but the bike was on its feet! My mechanic charged me just Rs.500! Though I offered him more he just refused. I know two skilled people 3 hours in no place equate to 500 bucks but that's the beauty of living in small towns.

So for 6k my bike was up and running. The grip feels amazing and have already finished the customary 100 kms break in period.

Another amazing thing was, Arvind called up and stated that he had arranged a Metz tyre and could drop it on the way IBW goa in the next two days! Now who is this thoughtful! I thank him profusely!

Realized a few things in the process-

-Buying and maintaining a harley (or any other high end bike) are two entirely different things.(like in a luxury car)

-A Harley can be fixed outside (provided you have the parts). though it looks complicated there are tons of reference on the net.

-Getting the external people to be careful while working the chrome can be tedious. We need to be on our toes or they could easily scratch the bike.

-Tyre dealers have huge margins! (1.6k on 4.05k! even more if i had paid the MRP)

-I made a great friend in buying this bike.A big shout out to feloow Bhpian @Dust_Harl he's been amazing taking time, ahving patience and going out of his way to have things sorted even though hes part of the deal was over. Thanks a ton mate!

And its a long long post hope you guys don't mind. Posted here in Dhiraj sirs excellent thread as didn't want to create a new thread. Any inputs from the seniors are most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-01.jpg  

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-02.jpg  

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-05.jpg  

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-06.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 25th February 2016 at 14:04. Reason: Extra spaces removed
mh09ad5578 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 10:44   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
and Viola! it was done!
What a fantastic job mh09ad5578. Hats off to you mate., This is the beauty of forums like TeamBhp that we 'share' and let more people come into the fold. There is nothing like our great Indian 'jugaad' to fix these imported vehicles rather than pay exorbitant sums to the dealerships for a job that may be done worse than what you did.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 24th February 2016 at 10:45.
Old 13th March 2016, 22:43   #565
BHPian

Dhiraj Ji

I have gone through the entire thread, really admire your enthusiasm and knowledge about your rides. The thread has helped in increasing my confidence in the quality & reliability of HD bikes, about which I was quite ill informed.

I was intending to buy the Street, but have somehow stretched to get myself the Iron. Booked the same last month, and though the desired color in the 2016 model is in stock, I have decided to wait and get the 2016 production model. I require very limited accessories - Crash Gaurd, rear seat, rear footpegs and backrest.
Being on a already stretched budget, I am trying to get aftermarket accessories instead of going for original HD stuff, which no doubt is of very good quality. Hence I seek yours & fellow BHPians' help in understanding available options for after market accessories for my machine from Karol Bagh or elsewhere in Delhi.

Thanks & Regards
Bhatt
Bhatt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 23:03   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
I am trying to get aftermarket accessories instead of going for original HD stuff, which no doubt is of very good quality. Hence I seek yours & fellow BHPians' help in understanding available options for after market accessories for my machine from Karol Bagh or elsewhere in Delhi.

Thanks & Regards
Bhatt
Hi sir. Since you say you're on a stretched budget, my opinion would be to only get the crash guard and use the bike stock for 1000km or so. What this does is it allows you to decide what exactly you need and what your usage is. You may realise you use it only for weekend rides and 50k odd spent on a rear seat, pegs and sissy bar was a waste. The suspension for 2016 has been improved, it used to be a prime target for upgrades, but you may still find the need to upgrade. Same with the seat. Improved, but you may feel you need something else. At which point the rear seat and sissy bar may be incompatible and require changing all over again. The Stage 1 upgrade is also something that is advisable. The bikes from the factory are extremely lean, and our Indian fuel makes the issue worse. Free flowing pipes, high flow air cleaner and a fuel management system make a HUGE difference to the bike. Apart from this the daymaker headlight is also a worthwhile investment if you ride a lot at night. As you can see, there are lots of directions your mods could go, so it makes sense to wait until you know what you need. Apart from the headlight, I'd suggest you look at the aftermarket. You'll get similar or better quality, better performance from the part, at a cheaper rate outside. Feel free to PM me for a shop that served me well. Good luck

Last edited by KhalDrogo : 13th March 2016 at 23:05.
KhalDrogo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 23:18   #567
BHPian

Quote:
The Stage 1 upgrade is also something that is advisable. The bikes from the factory are extremely lean, and our Indian fuel makes the issue worse. Free flowing pipes, high flow air cleaner and a fuel management system make a HUGE difference to the bike. Apart from this the daymaker headlight is also a worthwhile investment if you ride a lot at night. As you can see, there are lots of directions your mods could go, so it makes sense to wait until you know what you need. Apart from the headlight, I'd suggest you look at the aftermarket. You'll get similar or better quality, better performance from the part, at a cheaper rate outside. Feel free to PM me for a shop that served me well. Good luck
Thanks KhalDrogo for your inputs. Completely agree on the suggestion of just going for a crash guard now, and to look for other accessories later, as per my requirements. Actually I am not too fond of the bike's look with the pillion seat, and would rather give it a skip, until the time I no longer can

Also, as suggested, I would rather spend on performance enhancement upgrades than the aesthetic ones. But those will also have to wait until I have a clear understanding of the bike's strengths & requirements. What I am not able to fathom is the delay the 2016 production model is taking to reach their dealer network. Just can't wait to get my hands on the machine. Have PMed you for the shop's contact. Thanks again.
Bhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 23:23   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks KhalDrogo for your inputs. Completely agree on the suggestion of just going for a crash guard now, and to look for other accessories later, as per my requirements. Actually I am not too fond of the bike's look with the pillion seat, and would rather give it a skip, until the time I no longer can

Also, as suggested, I would rather spend on performance enhancement upgrades than the aesthetic ones. But those will also have to wait until I have a clear understanding of the bike's strengths & requirements. What I am not able to fathom is the delay the 2016 production model is taking to reach their dealer network. Just can't wait to get my hands on the machine. Have PMed you for the shop's contact. Thanks again.
2016 deliveries have begun already. Almost everyone I know who books a harley is quoted outrageous wait ing periods, but a favour here, a stern word there and a few trips to the dealership usually result in a quicker delivery period.
If you do decide on performance upgrades down the line, please update your own ownership thread. I have a feel suggestions I'd love to share. Good luck.
Old 13th March 2016, 23:27   #569
BHPian

Quote:
2016 deliveries have begun already. Almost everyone I know who books a harley is quoted outrageous wait ing periods, but a favour here, a stern word there and a few trips to the dealership usually result in a quicker delivery period.
If you do decide on performance upgrades down the line, please update your own ownership thread. I have a feel suggestions I'd love to share. Good luck.
Are you sure about 2016 deliveries already starting? My Dealer has been very upfront about 2016 Model stock being available, and in the color I need. Just that it is the 2015 December production models they have in stock.
Bhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 23:30   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about 2016 deliveries already starting? My Dealer has been very upfront about 2016 Model stock being available, and in the color I need. Just that it is the 2015 December production models they have in stock.
Yes, I have seen 2016 models on the road in Goa, as well as pictures online on this forum itself from owners. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors from Harley showrooms sadly.