Was it during today's IBW ride?
preetam_KORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 20:41   #182
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetam_KORG View Post
Was it during today's IBW ride?
Sorry Preetam I wasn't aware of any IBW ride in Bangalore. If there was an IBW ride - were there any Harleys in that? Would've joined if I knew of it.

This was all of yesterdays ride to Nandi and today's ride to catch up with friends.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 21:03   #183
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shub,

When you get a chance just compare the "sound" of your bike and an older model 883, just to see what we had observed about 2014's sound being less HD like in comparison with the older models

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 21:23   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

Sorry Preetam I wasn't aware of any IBW ride in Bangalore. If there was an IBW ride - were there any Harleys in that? Would've joined if I knew of it.
There was a chai pakoda ride to Devrayandurga (DD Hills)
Lot of harleys were there...

Name:  image3650508708.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  595.5 KB

Name:  image820772845.jpg
Views: 4172
Size:  391.8 KB

^^Just a couple if pics for reference.^^

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 15th December 2013 at 21:25.
preetam_KORG is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 22:52   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
As far as the current discussion goes, I see it going nowhere. As you yourself have quoted -

"the registration mark ~ shall be displayed both at the front and at the rear of all motor vehicles"

Now, where on the front is somehow more clearly specified separately. But to say that the rear side mounted plate on the aforementioned Harley photograph published by Shubz, is anywhere else on the vehicle except the rear side is beyond my comprehension and I think any sane person would surely agree with me that that indeed is the rear of the vehicle. I would like to end this discussion from my side on this.

Cheers...

Note from Support - Post edited. Please avoid getting personal.
Guys, Bear with me for the intrusion please. An interesting thread and went though the same right from the first post. and this Regn Plate discussion set me thinking..We all know the purpose of the Regn Plate at front and rear is to be viewed in those direction. A normal rear mounted Regn Plate - angle of vision could be say max 140-150 deg ( just guessing). So a person on the other side of the road at an obtuse angle could still read a normal rear mounted bike Regn number. But with a Regn Plate mounted on the left side at the rear axle could severely obstruct / limit vision for say a police man on the opposite side of the road trying to book the biker for some violation say stepping on a zebra line at signal or what ever.

I think this is one of the reason, bikers are being booked for having number plates on the mud guard here at Goa. Even though it appears legal as I read it in some paragraph of MV act mentioned in this thread, the Police version is " We are unable to see / read the number plate on front and as we get hardly a second or two to note the number of a speeding bike, painting the number on Mud guard at front is not acceptable to us and deemed to be fined" They have fined my friends a number of times for this offense.

I believe the position of the Regn Plates on the vehicle, the size of the letters etc have more reasons to be there and that way than we think it to be.

I do not intend to re-ignite a discussion in this regard, but just putting forth a view in a different perspective.

and Forgive me Shubz for the actual reason I am on this thread. To drool over the Harleys, read the joy, the waiting pangs, the dilemma betweenn Triumph and HD, and then over the color and rants and off Topic discussions. Now just want to say HEARTIEST CONGRATULATIONS on your 'Potato Potato'. Ride Safe

Last edited by ashkamath : 15th December 2013 at 23:02.
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 23:27   #186
BHPian

A fine image of what growing up is all about - From left to right that is..

Mods. Sorry for the repeat post by me. Was well past the edit time period of my previous post
Attached Thumbnails
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-dsc01901-.jpg  

Last edited by ashkamath : 15th December 2013 at 23:33.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 12:32   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Shub,

When you get a chance just compare the "sound" of your bike and an older model 883, just to see what we had observed about 2014's sound being less HD like in comparison with the older models

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Ram sir. I did not find an older model with stock pipes at the showroom when I was there on Saturday. Will keep an eye on the same on my next visit. The test ride vehicle has Screaming eagles on it. So not good for comparison.

There is a workshop on Saturday, I will keep an eye on older models with stock pipes and record videos if the other owners agree to let me record.

May be Dhiraj (dkaile) could record his exhaust note and I will record mine and we could do a comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
A fine image of what growing up is all about - From left to right that is..
Thats how I grew up I guess. Started with the Duke, Wasn't too keen (confident) on riding a Bull, Triumph, I was in love with, till the Iron swept me off my feet!
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 13:21   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be Dhiraj (dkaile) could record his exhaust note and I will record mine and we could do a comparison?
My bike's exhaust note and walk-around is already online here -

You can compare the same with your bike.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 12:20   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shub,

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Ram sir - I am yet to record the video of the "sound". But one thing I have noticed so far - there is a lane in front of my house which I have to pass through to reach the main road, cars with motion sensor alarms are parked all along (at least 4 of them have that) - and its a narrow lane, i cannot be speeding either - normal ride through is setting their alarms off and i get angry looks from their owners :-P
Old 18th December 2013, 14:31   #190
Senior - BHPian

heh heh, there is a Harley which visits my apartment quite often and its exhaust sound is awesome, burbling , deep and LOUD. Has to be one of the addons, could be a V&H but not sure which one. You looking at changing Shubz?
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 14:42   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
heh heh, there is a Harley which visits my apartment quite often and its exhaust sound is awesome, burbling , deep and LOUD. Has to be one of the addons, could be a V&H but not sure which one. You looking at changing Shubz?

50:50! I have half a mind to change to FFE - V&H short shots with either a ECU remap or FuelPak - blowing a lakh plus on it.

OR

Just screaming eagles slip ons - which is a waste other than just the sound. (55-75K)

But nothing yet
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 15:40   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
f and i get angry looks from their owners :-P
Quote:
50:50! I have half a mind to change to FFE - V&H short shots with either a ECU remap or FuelPak - blowing a lakh plus on it.
Shub,

The looks will turn dirty as well once you have SE or V&H on as well. With a HD you can't sneak in anywhere as its is so why not announce the presence loudly as well.

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 15:44   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The looks will turn dirty as well once you have SE or V&H on as well. With a HD you can't sneak in anywhere as its is so why not announce the presence loudly as well.
Completely agreed. Whether you/I upgrade the sound now or 1 year down the line, you/I will do it eventually. Because the sound of the Harley is it's 'potato' signature...

Also JFYI Shubz, Sportsters sound best with Screaming Eagle rather than Vance & Hines, which work better with the bigger 1600cc engines. It is only the Akrapovics which blow you apart in either case.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 15:54   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate your choice sir. But I decided to choose the Amber one over the Black. Had lined up both next to each other, the unanimous choice was Amber Whiskey!
Shubz, when I saw the Amber Whiskey color initially, I wondered how could this color be ever better over the Matt Black. Black is an all time great color as Ford once famously said "you can have any color as long as it is black" with regard to his Model T's . I felt the color is gaudy / garish and a bit out of character.

And then I just happened to see the Bike with much clarity and out in open in your Nandi Ride in Ram's Triumph thread and Boy !! I sooo much love this color now. The bike looks fabulous. She is a head turner for sure. Good choice of color Shubz.

@Ram Sir: Is it possible to post a couple of Pic that includes Shubz HD in this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by ashkamath : 18th December 2013 at 15:56.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 16:19   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Completely agreed. Whether you/I upgrade the sound now or 1 year down the line, you/I will do it eventually. Because the sound of the Harley is it's 'potato' signature...

Also JFYI Shubz, Sportsters sound best with Screaming Eagle rather than Vance & Hines, which work better with the bigger 1600cc engines. It is only the Akrapovics which blow you apart in either case.
The test ride Iron had screaming eagles on it and it sounded fab! however i did hear another one with V&H, they were plain LOUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Shubz, when I saw the Amber Whiskey color initially, I wondered how could this color be ever better over the Matt Black. Black is an all time great color as Ford once famously said "you can have any color as long as it is black" with regard to his Model T's . I felt the color is gaudy / garish and a bit out of character.

And then I just happened to see the Bike with much clarity and out in open in your Nandi Ride in Ram's Triumph thread and Boy !! I sooo much love this color now. The bike looks fabulous. She is a head turner for sure. Good choice of color Shubz.

@Ram Sir: Is it possible to post a couple of Pic that includes Shubz HD in this thread. Thanks.
Kamath maam, Exactly - The pictures were not doing any justice at all when taken in the low lighting at the showroom! The color is to be noticed in sunlight/natural light - thats when it exudes the brilliance. with the pictures, one friend of mine branded it a girly color and even gave up on me for choosing such a color, now he is eating his words!