Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 2nd April 2014, 19:20   #316
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by see India View Post
Hi Shubz, I've already seen certain points where you have mentioned as things to get done while taking the delivery.
I also would need your help in figuring out the accessories I should be looking at.
I am 5.11" with heavy built (about 94 kgs). Do you think the seat of the Iron is good enough or I will have to change it as per my size. I was looking at the various available models and felt Sundowner Deep Bucket Seat to be a good option.
Windshield - How important is that?
Leather throw away saddle bags - Any idea how useful these are or if there is a better yet more economical option available for the same.
Pillion seat, Engine guard I will be going for sure.
There are few other accessories like Oil Level & Temperature Dipstick and Sportster Fuel Gauge Kit which I am interested in but not sure if they are really needed.
If there is anything else which you feel is important please let me know.
Please help me decide and close the accessories I should be looking at buying.
Thanks in advance.
The Sundowner seat is an awesome thing. Just that on the Iron - it kinda sticks out. I am not heavy built and I am quite happy with the stock seat. You may think of getting gel seat padding.

Windshield - No great impact on riding I am sure. Unless its a large windshield - this again kills the looks of naked sportster.

saddle bags: there are tonnes of stuff to choose from. If you are going to be touring often, then it makes great sense to get the bags that stick out from the back, which can fastened on to the sissy bar (with a luggage rack of course).

Oil Level & Temperature Dipstick and Sportster Fuel Gauge Kit, Side mounted license plate - IMHO - are just bling extras that don't add any performance value to the bike.

The most important accessories in my opinion would be

1) Rear seat
2) Back rest - removable ones
3) Engine guard - most important
4) Foot pegs - for two up riding.

I did go for one bling thing too - Like the side mounted license plate. and Custom Derby cover is on its way.

Non bling things --> Waiting up for the Vance n Hines. Will be going for Performance spark plugs and 10 mm phat spark plug wires.

Last edited by Shubz : 2nd April 2014 at 19:26.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:31   #317

Thanks for your input Shubz. How about oil tank lock and HD smart security system? Do you think they add any value?
see India is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:48   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your input Shubz. How about oil tank lock and HD smart security system? Do you think they add any value?
Are you talking about the Fuel tank lock? If yes, let me ask you - Are you going to use this bike for regular commute? Park it at public parking lots and move away from the bike? Park in Office basement, unattended?

Then Fuel lock makes sense. I for one would never park in any of the above mentioned places. So I may go for some designer fuel tank caps (Roland Sands or Arlen Ness) - again - just for bling.

Same thing with the smart security system - costing about 30+ grands. If you are parking in your apartment complex, chances are kids or random people fiddling with it.

I would say - these are "Good to have" but not "must have's"
Old 2nd April 2014, 20:02   #319

I will be interested in getting the bike to office when ever the weather is favourable as thats the only sure way of me riding it more often. Yes it will be parked in the open just below the office but on the road side. And for the rest of the times it will be parked in my apartment complex basement unattended. This again calls for random people fiddling with it. This actually works for and against getting the Smart security system. As I don't know how it works or how sensitive it is.
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:34   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be interested in getting the bike to office when ever the weather is favourable as thats the only sure way of me riding it more often. Yes it will be parked in the open just below the office but on the road side. And for the rest of the times it will be parked in my apartment complex basement unattended. This again calls for random people fiddling with it. This actually works for and against getting the Smart security system. As I don't know how it works or how sensitive it is.
Just my 2 cents. Doesn't seem like a great idea to be parking a Harley by the roadside. Unless you have it covered with an innocuous looking cover.
Old 8th April 2014, 12:13   #321
Senior - BHPian

First and probably the only bling to come on (for now) -- Custom made Derby cover.

Name:  derby.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  48.2 KB
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 12:24   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
First and probably the only bling to come on (for now) -- Custom made Derby cover.

Attachment 1227966
What does this cover?

Also, can you clue me into what exactly this two finger sign means. I've seen lots of new age kids doing it. Never got what it means.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 12:30   #323
Senior - BHPian

Haha Doc. This is the clutch side cover. New age old age doesn't matter. Just the ghost of Elvis making a sign. Not obscene for sure. Should that matter? As to what the two fingers mean?
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 12:34   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha Doc. This is the clutch side cover. New age old age doesn't matter. Just the ghost of Elvis making a sign. Not obscene for sure. Should that matter? As to what the two fingers mean?
Aaah the clutch cover. Would look cool with the metallic orange color of your bike.

Does this sign have a name which I can Google for? Like the one finger one is commonly called the Bird.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 12:49   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Aaah the clutch cover. Would look cool with the metallic orange color of your bike.

Does this sign have a name which I can Google for? Like the one finger one is commonly called the Bird.
Hope the Mods will allow this - for educationg Doc

In American sign language it means 'I love you'

It has different meanings to different people - this sign is usually seen at the heavy metal concerts - made both by the band and by the crowd.

American rock singer Ronnie James Dio, who popularised this hand gesture

Have a look at the following link please, and I think you will be enlightened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8687002.stm

Thanks to Google Baba and two Devils at home our learning process has become a continuous affair

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 21:23   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore chapter had organized an overnighter to Ooty. Started from Bangalore on Saturday, spent the night at Ooty, returned on Sunday. Close to 35 bikes joined this parade.
Pics please! 35 HDs on those awesome roads would be a sight !

BTW,
Which route was taken to ooty?
Did the innumerable and annoying humps of bangalore- Mysore highway pose any problems?
Akhilash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 11:47   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
Pics please! 35 HDs on those awesome roads would be a sight !

BTW,
Which route was taken to ooty?
Did the innumerable and annoying humps of bangalore- Mysore highway pose any problems?
The route taken to Ooty was - Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Masinagudi - 36 Hair pin bend route - Ooty.

The humps were only annoying to say the least. but more annoying were the zillion speed breakers of atrocious design inside Bandipur forest. The Hair pins were amazing - More so I loved coming down hill. I was the lead for the pack - and many riders have done just the straights but hadn't done the curves, and these curves were really overwhelming to them. Most were using rear brakes - when I stopped after almost 15 bends to regroup - i could see a few rear discs almost red hot.

I will post the pics from home.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 20:34   #328
BHPian

Default I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
The route taken to Ooty was - Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Masinagudi - 36 Hair pin bend route -
The 36 hair pin bend route is a must do for any biker down south. It's quite challenging while going up but I guess it would not affect the HDs much because of their freight train like low down torque.
I echo your words on the amazing roads.
The humps in bandipur are more of necessary evil and it's better to maintain slower speeds and enjoy the nature. The reason I say this is because a speeding XUV500 almost drove into a herd? of deer that were crossing the road two weeks ago. Of course they could have been more scientific.

It was a good decision on not taking the Gudulur route as it's not only 35kms more but also requires some good GC and patience to clear the initial 10kms of potholed road.
(But you miss out on some breath taking views and 30 odd we'll banked curves)

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 9th April 2014 at 20:35.
Akhilash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 17:03   #329
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile I just crossed into 6000's over the last Sunday ride. I am still happy with the response of the bike. The only thing I am missing is - louder sound ;-)

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-6000.jpg

VnH Twin Slash 3" are still crawling to Bangalore from god knows where.
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 19:10   #330

Shubz what are your reasons for not going with screamin eagles?