Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 18:02   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,785
Thanked: 960 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Not to antagonize anyone or add fuel to any fire - Am trying to look for US Motor vehicles act and what is their definition on this. Anyone can point me to the link
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 18:23   #122
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

In US number plates are issued by the DMV. You can transfer your number plate to another car as well. There the number plates are linked to vehicle VIN.

From what I was told, they mandate the number plate on the rear. The one in front is not mandatory. I could be wrong.

Here is a link from California on number plate placement
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm


Google for dmv license plate position.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 21:37   #123
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 179
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
In US number plates are issued by the DMV. You can transfer your number plate to another car as well. There the number plates are linked to vehicle VIN.

From what I was told, they mandate the number plate on the rear. The one in front is not mandatory. I could be wrong.

Here is a link from California on number plate placement
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm


Google for dmv license plate position.
I recall that front license plate is mandatory in Northern California, particularly San Francisco. The reason told was that the traffic light cameras require this to capture identifiable and legally admissible images for red light violation evidence
BackInTheFold is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 08:38   #124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore / MENA
Posts: 643
Thanked: 902 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
'

The Irons have two at the rear. Illegal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Not to antagonize anyone or add fuel to any fire - Am trying to look for US Motor vehicles act and what is their definition on this. Anyone can point me to the link
Interesting debate(?!).

Maybe I can add some. The Side mounted number plate came around in Harley production bikes first with the Nightster. The reason and/or ability to do this was with the LED combination Turn/Stop/Park pod lights that were introduced on the Nightster and continues on the Iron.

Harley had to get US DOT exemption to get them side mounted as OE. BUT, EU spec and therefore India spec bikes have them rear mounted, since they did not bother with exemptions globally.

So, Technically, they are illegal. But Technically, they are legal as well because of the lights doing the job of the tail lamp. If you can convince someone to detach from the conventional Stop/Tail light plus numberplate concept, that is.


Everything clear as mud, I hope.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 08:42   #125
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,586
Thanked: 1,261 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Guys! back to what the thread is here for !

Congrats Shubz!
jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 12:10   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 1,190 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Interesting debate(?!).
So, Technically, they are illegal. But Technically, they are legal as well because of the lights doing the job of the tail lamp.
Mate,
That is exactly what I wanted to convey and I would not been bothered if Shubhankar actually uses a Side Mount or rear Mount. But I think it went beyond control and sounded more like Yes and No.

On the contrary Side Mount actually looks good on the vehicle and looks a lot more meaner at the rear with those huge tires.
ku69rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 12:14   #127
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,785
Thanked: 960 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
That is exactly what I wanted to convey and I would not been bothered if Shubhankar actually uses a Side Mount or rear Mount. But I think it went beyond control and sounded more like Yes and No.

On the contrary Side Mount actually looks good on the vehicle and looks a lot more meaner at the rear with those huge tires.
Thanks Mahesh! Y'day I spoke to Ram sir about something and he had an interesting suggestion.

On the same side mount - he said - why don't you try Vertical fit instead of horizontal fit (considering how intimate Bangalore traffic is)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 12:15   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 1,190 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
On the same side mount - he said - why don't you try Vertical fit instead of horizontal fit (considering how intimate Bangalore traffic is)
Yes why not as long as you are happy and can carry it off then nothing else matters
ku69rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 12:18   #129
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,785
Thanked: 960 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Yes why not as long as you are happy and can carry it off then nothing else matters
Happiness apart - I'd be in more trouble with the cops as they have to bend to read the number in case I am stopped for something
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 12:36   #130
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 1,190 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Happiness apart - I'd be in more trouble with the cops as they have to bend to read the number in case I am stopped for something
think we discussed that quite sufficiently yesterday. To be honest it depends on the mood of the cops. If he sees a shiny new motorcycle and if he is hungry we all know what they can do.

So be careful with it lest you don't end up riding the bike with a Gandhi in between your lips.
ku69rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 12:44   #131
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,785
Thanked: 960 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
think we discussed that quite sufficiently yesterday. To be honest it depends on the mood of the cops. If he sees a shiny new motorcycle and if he is hungry we all know what they can do.

So be careful with it lest you don't end up riding the bike with a Gandhi in between your lips.
Yep I agree. While I was at the store sometime back (may be a few weeks ago) I had seen a bike with the registeration number pasted in the front and I had asked him, won't he be booked? for which the store guy answers "Sir, when its bikes like this, they are more gawking at the bike than check whats wrong with the number plate" - But yeah - if its not your day, then no matter how right your bike is - you got to have a Gandhi between your lips!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 13:24   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,703
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Wow , I miss out for a couple of days and look what's happened brilliant news Shubz, the dream is no longer just that. You will soon be drunk on whiskey ( mods don't kick me here pls , we aren't talking alcohol, this addiction is worse and awesome ). Can't wait for an ownership review.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 17:04   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,785
Thanked: 960 Times
Default Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Soft delivery tomorrow where they'd cover - Bike features, Do's and Don'ts

Actual handing over of the keys on Thursday!

Could they not do both tomorrow!!!!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 20:30   #134
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,721
Thanked: 3,257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Soft delivery tomorrow
Congrats. Though never heard that term 'soft' delivery! It's all basically upto you I guess, how much laxity you give them. Do post some good quality pictures.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 21:48   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,785
Thanked: 960 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congrats. Though never heard that term 'soft' delivery! It's all basically upto you I guess, how much laxity you give them. Do post some good quality pictures.
To make the birthday of my Iron as 11.12.13 :-) That's quite thoughtful of them though!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2014 Harley Iron 883 - Life has just begun Abhishekjp Superbikes & Imports 16 15th April 2014 21:18
Dreaming about the HD Iron 883: Should I take the plunge? di1in Superbikes & Imports 16 27th September 2013 15:08
RE Classic Desert Storm 500 or Used Harley Iron 883? MonsterPatrol Motorbikes 31 15th May 2013 22:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks