Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread

Old 6th November 2013, 17:33   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Harley Davidson Street 500 & 750 - Made In India - Launching in 2014

Hello Folks,

Finally, a relatively new design from HD.

The front end looks very raked for that bike. It would also mean a step away from the traditional fork and blade connecting rods, roller and ball bearings and a three piece crankshaft.

The radiator out front needs a re-look.

60 degree engine is a departure from the 45 deg now, save for the V Rod.

The engine looks akin to a Honda Ascot VT500 with a few subtle changes.

In other parts of the world, Yamaha had released the Yamaha Bolt another V twin in the cruiser fold. Honda has its VT750DC.

Since HD is the last entrant into this particular segment, hopefully this product has better vital statistics to boot.

On a lighter note, would this be called a 'piglet'?

There is a perception in the HD crowd that the Sportster is a 'girls' bike.

I wonder what the HD riding faithfuls would call this offering.

Hopefully it will not go the way of the XR and/or the XLCR from HD, Or Buell!

It seems to be for a economically minded market that wants the HD aura, but, cannot splurge on the costly offering on hand now.

Or for markets where there are additional taxes/ rebates based on vehicle size/displacement etc.

Or in markets that have power output restrictions in their driver licensing regime.

Should make an interesting beginers bike/ entry level machine, re-entry level machine since the power output is pretty low.

All the very best for the model and hope they sell ship loads of this bike.

Reg,

BB
Britishbangers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 18:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Harley Davidson Street 500 & 750 - Made In India - Launching in 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Thanks for sharing.

A part of me wonders if I should keep my SuperLow booking or cancel it and get this one.

Are you experiencing "buyers remorse" after reading this ?
Harish,

I personally feel you should hold on to your current booking. I personally am not feeling like "Oh damn, I should've waited"

2ndly - this could take a while to hit the Indian roads.

I have been reading around and they say HD folks interviewed 1000's of people for this. Got to know user sentiment etc before coming up with this.

Even in the US forums, many says 883 is a "girly" bike, but I am yet to figure out why. and yet the "men" gloat about their possession. One of the postings in Youtube even mentioned "If Iron is a girly bike, what about Glide? What about Dyna? - with so much plush stuff, so much luxury on board etc. (This is just one person's opinion on YT though)

EDIT: @BritishBangers "Piglet" was funny!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 20:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Harish,

I personally feel you should hold on to your current booking. I personally am not feeling like "Oh damn, I should've waited"

2ndly - this could take a while to hit the Indian roads.
Precisely the reason I have decided to keep my booking.
Old 6th November 2013, 21:55   #19
BHPian

Finally, I think I can now afford to go for a Harley, been my dream since I saw some in the US
Old 6th November 2013, 22:37   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder if this will pass Willie's 'sound test'. Or maybe he does not bother with water cooled Harleys!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th November 2013, 09:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Yes. They are without locks but superbly finished in chrome. An OE lockable gas tank cap costs about 3K while an off market one can be had for about 750 bucks. Most parts on Harleys are metal, sculpted and heavy and that is why the cost.
@dkaile
thanks for clarifying. IMHO seems to be bit of a nickel and diming attempt for profit maximisation.
Old 7th November 2013, 11:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

For the Indian market, the company will launch only the Harley-Davidson Street 750

Source: Economic Times
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 12:07   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazd View Post
@dkaile
thanks for clarifying. IMHO seems to be bit of a nickel and diming attempt for profit maximisation.
It might seem that way, but it could also be that fuel theft was/is not a major design consideration. Even if you get a lockable fuel lid, draining fuel from a Harley tank is as easy as disconnecting the "quick connect" fitting under the tank.

But yes, Harley does put amazingly cheap looking parts on their otherwise shiny bikes so that you indulge in "Customization", and has also helped an aftermarket industry to grow.

Pretty sure there will be a lot of "Customization" parts available for the Street as well.

Cheers

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 12:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

But yes, Harley does put amazingly cheap looking parts on their otherwise shiny bikes so that you indulge in "Customization",
Sir - could you please elaborate on the above line? I (Harley owner in the waiting) - always thought the parts quality on the Harleys were impeccable with no compromise.

Thanks in advance
Shubz
Old 7th November 2013, 19:42   #25
BHPian

This is pretty comprehensive. As always, their tagline revolves around the SOUND, The FEEL and what not.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 7th November 2013, 22:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Santosh,
No doubt HD have done their homework pretty well. But what is the market segment they are trying to target? Would it be young turks who have had their share of fun with RE and then want to move up in the same family?

Was reading an article, HD has around 65% of its customers who belong to the YAH group (Young At Heart but aged above 45). Suppose they want to make this as an aspirational motorcycle for people @ 35-40?

Also buying a HD is a statement these days and people will not want to be associated with an entry level.

Remember even though Super Low is their entry model, it is the Iron which is their top selling. Some Indian Mentality you See. Depends on what & How HD will target the audience with this. Will be an interesting space to watch if their famed marketing department can pull it off again.

Some excellent questions I think. I'm really a novice to the whole biking scene. Have only owned my first ever bike, 1975 bullet for 8 months now.

But having lived in the USA for several years, and having visited a HD factory it does make you wonder who they are trying to target here in India. And would this product range appeal sufficiently. Their "famed marketing department" has got a wrong badly before. It was only a few years ago, this company was on the brink of bankruptcy.

As motorbikes go, great heritage. As companies go, I'm not so sure. They have not been a steady, solid performer. It's always been an extremely bumpy ride, pardon the pun.

Have a look at the history of the company, rather then the legacy of their bikes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson

Would such a company do well in India?

Jeroen
Old 8th November 2013, 16:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Some interesting discussions on the upcoming 500's and 750's.

Nice read US HD Forum

And as @Britishbangers mentioned -- "Piglets" is what they are already calling these 500's & 750's

Last edited by Shubz : 8th November 2013 at 16:32.
Old 9th November 2013, 00:08   #28
BHPian

Piglets? That's ridiculous. I mean it's great to know that Harley and other brands are recognizing the need for smaller, powerful yet the same time machines that doesn't compromise on fun... I personally think the future is going to be smaller yet capable machines

Cheers
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 12:36   #29
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Vijay - majority of offerings from HD can't be written as small and powerful in the same sentence and this is the bitter truth.

The MoCo (HD) has a division that is already churning out customization bits for the 500/750.

Another fact to consider, check out any blurb from HD, there are few oft repeated lines such as heritage, sound, feel etc.. they never mention stuff like power, performance, handling etc.

Right now HD manufactures bikes in the US, Brazil and India. The US crowd will not / hesitatingly accept a made in India machine - the patriotic drum roll will drown out all other logical reasoning.

You buy a HD base model, then realize that you could bling it up, bits and bobs galore, sure enough, you'd realize that the aftermarket offerings look/feel/sound better than stock.

I've friends with HDs would have spent equivalent or more on aftermarket parts vis-a-vis the machines. Buy a HD for what it is, for goodness sake don't be sold due to the marketing juggernaut. I accept my HD friends since they ride motorcycles, not because of the brand on the tank.

The attitude of the larger capacity HD owning crowd towards the smaller displacement HD machines is to be seen and felt - out right reprehensible.

The herd mentality, the similar line of clothing, brain buckets, the need to customize and when in a group you'd realize that it all seems familiar to the next one, albeit with a bit of paint difference seems to indicate that it all finally came together form one cookie cutter!

Sometimes, it makes sense to smell the fresh air and /take a fresh look/think - why does a company dole out outdated machines and trade mark the sound rather than make an offering in line with the times.

If they did that they would not survive, the faithfuls will abhor it and not consider it to be a 'proper' HD eg. XRs, XLCR, VRod etc.

Earlier experiments with smaller capacity machines (Aermacchi/ Hummer) went belly up too.

I just hope this time HD enthusiasts accept 'new' technology and do away with the discrimination towards HD owners with smaller bikes. It may ensure MoCo survival.

Before some individual starts frothing at the mouth and starts to dish what I have stated, it would be worthwhile to do some research and figure for yourself if HD makes money selling bikes or selling accessories through their thick catalog.

Sad but true. Anyway, its your money, if it makes your day, please go ahead - however, look before you leap.

Take care and stay well.

Reg,

BB
Britishbangers is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 19:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

^
Spoken like a true Harley critic.

But I feel Harleys have more to offer than the shortcomings you are focused upon. They are no longer outdated as you point out. Ride a Bullet to feel what outdated feels like. They always start on first push of the ignition contrary to many other modern bikes I have seen. That their ride is slightly choppy for our roads and their ground clearance is low is an understatement. But the overall feel and ride of the bike everyday is an experience best experienced than can be stated in words. Street anyways won't have any market in the US. It's basically for the clogged roads of the developing markets.

I have done nearly zero customisation till date on the bike and it's the best money I have spent in my life and that's saying a lot after spending more than 5 times on other luxury cars. If you are a vintage bike lover, a Harley is all you need for the rest of your life...
Closed Thread