Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 6th May 2014, 12:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kawasaki Z1000 and Ninja 1000 launched in India at Rs. 12.5 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I am told that Kawasaki requires customers outside Pune to manage all RTO formalities by themselves. Is this true and if so how difficult is this?

I find it really ridiculous that where new international players like HD and Triumph are going all out to give top quality sales related service (including TDs) to their customers, Bajaj is still operating in the stone age. First they limit the sales outlet for these bikes to their COCO in Pune (Bajaj who has the widest dealer network) and on top of it they require customers to manage paperwork themselves outside Pune.

Their sales staff is pretty crude too. I had categorically called them and asked that I would come from Mumbai and want to check out the bike including sitting on it to get a feel (not ride mind you). After specifically agreeing to this and reconfirming, an upstart from the KTM showroom came and very rudely starting arguing about how that is not possible. When I tried to explain I had already spoken with the Kawasaki person (who was not present that day), he was not even willing to even speak and let me explain. Complete dunce. Bajaj is taking some amazing steps on product offerings but they need to get their sales staff to grow beyond the era of Chetaks. This despite having focussed pro biking showrooms for their premium offerings.

Overall, a -5 on the showroom experience.
Yes, You heard right. The Buyers for the high end kawasaki's have to register and pay the Octroi themselves. Its not difficult as long as you have a good agent and also provided Kawasaki gives the papers on time. I had to pay a 2% penalty as Kawasaki sent the papers after 3 weeks and had sent the bike on TC plates instead of TR plates even after i paid the crtm amount on purchase. when i received the papers and the TR no, the documents were expiring in 4 days and to my bad luck next day was election and then a weekend, so the RTO was shut.

I did talk to them about, why the Bombay kawasaki or KTM dealers cannot register the bike, if Suzuki can do it why not them..but no reply. I have asked Autocar and EVO magazine to take this and the CRTM (10k) up, as it is an illegal practice.

I never wasted my time going to the showroom or seeing the bike. when my bike came i asked them to load it on a tempo and send it to my office in Bombay. I kept one point of contact and my office would not speak to anyone else from the showroom..for the papers i called the owner of SNK Bajaj and he was very helpful. Also the booking amount is just a waste, as no bike is allotted to a buyer till the full payment is made..its like a first come first serve thing. A person has to wait for 25 days after making full payment to get his bike..i managed my bike in 10 days as i used influence.
speedy is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 14:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Coming close to making a decision on a high end bike. HD, Triumph, Kawasaki and Suzuki are the ones being considered. Its a new passion I have for bikes after living with a RE DS 500 for 8 months I want to go higher.

For someone like the showroom experience is quite crucial. After reading Axe77's post, I am quite apprehensive about contacting Kawasaki. If they are going to show attitude like they did to Axe 77, I just wont be able to walk out without giving a piece of my mind. To add, the RTO procedures seem a bit tideous as well. Im going to wait for speedy to give us feedback on his ZX. If the bike is that special then it may be worth the trouble.

Made a online enquiry about the Hayabusa and the Intruder M1800R and within five mins I had people calling me from showrooms asking me to come over or even going the extra mile to bring the bike to my office and give me a demo. That was good customer service. Or are they just threatened to sell as many bikes now that the ZX-14R is here?

Off to Triumph and HD to see what they have to offer.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 14:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Coming close to making a decision on a high end bike. HD, Triumph, Kawasaki and Suzuki are the ones being considered. Its a new passion I have for bikes after living with a RE DS 500 for 8 months I want to go higher.

For someone like the showroom experience is quite crucial. After reading Axe77's post, I am quite apprehensive about contacting Kawasaki. If they are going to show attitude like they did to Axe 77, I just wont be able to walk out without giving a piece of my mind. To add, the RTO procedures seem a bit tideous as well. Im going to wait for speedy to give us feedback on his ZX. If the bike is that special then it may be worth the trouble.

Made a online enquiry about the Hayabusa and the Intruder M1800R and within five mins I had people calling me from showrooms asking me to come over or even going the extra mile to bring the bike to my office and give me a demo. That was good customer service. Or are they just threatened to sell as many bikes now that the ZX-14R is here?

Off to Triumph and HD to see what they have to offer.
I have mentioned my experience with the purchase of the zx-14r. Since you are in Bangalore you would have to purchase the bike from Pune (closest to you) or Delhi. They have press bikes..but no demo bike for a customer (strange but true). I can give you the number for the showroom manager..she is a very good and prompt person. The ZX-14 is cheaper than the buss and packed with everything.

The RTO procedure is not at all tedious, a good agent takes care of everything. my bike was registered in a few hours and by evening i received the RTO receipt of the same, the RC card they post within 15 days.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 15:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For someone like the showroom experience is quite crucial. After reading Axe77's post, I am quite apprehensive about contacting Kawasaki. If they are going to show attitude like they did to Axe 77, I just wont be able to walk out without giving a piece of my mind. To add, the RTO procedures seem a bit tideous as well.
Just to clarify and balance any conclusions from my post, there were also some extremely polite and helpful staff from Kawasaki. It was one person from KTM who really behaved rudely (they're adjacent showrooms under one roof).

But my issue is with the policy per se where the company (and there's nothing sales staff can do about this), don't really have a default mechanism where they provide TDs etc. To me, that requires a serious reconsideration at a management level. You're selling superbikes worth between Rs. 8 - 17 lakhs. You need to create the right buying experience for potential customers. This is the most basic aspect of selling luxury products. The next level of maturity and growth in their thought process will be by creating hype through dedicated Kawi owner groups etc like HD has done. To my mind, one of the reasons HD has done well is that once that 35 / 40+ yrs old guy buys a bike, it doesn't just sit in the garage. There's an entire riding group and culture he gets inculcated into - that's when he's a repeat customer for life. He's the guy who upgrades to another HD, buys that new exhaust, the HD jacket and a host of other accessories that should have been on the bike in the first place (.. ok that last bit was part jest part serious).

The risk of buying any Jap is that if you're a borderline enthusiast, you might find the bike ignored over a period of time and no incentive to really keep investing in riding. Its not a coincidence that brands like HD make a big chunk of revenues not just from bike sales but upgrades, accessories and riding gear.

The Kawis are still beautiful machines and if you're really clear that's what you want, I wouldn't let mere sales experience / lack of TDs to hold you back. Happy shopping!
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 16:24   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Coming close to making a decision on a high end bike. HD, Triumph, Kawasaki and Suzuki are the ones being considered.
Fullrevs, As far as I know, Kawasaki is opening a exclusive showroom in Bangalore soon enough. You might want to get in touch with them to confirm.

Good luck with your purchase!

Cheers,
Kapil
wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 11:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to clarify and balance any conclusions from my post, there were also some extremely polite and helpful staff from Kawasaki. It was one person from KTM who really behaved rudely (they're adjacent showrooms under one roof).
Just to clarify. Kawasaki Bombay does not sell the z800,z1000,ninja 1000,zx-10r and the ZX-14r. The bikes are sold only from Kawasaki dealership in Pune and Delhi as of now. So if one expects the Bombay guys to know of the bikes or give td's for the same, its like dreaming. I bought my bike on the phone and email correspondence, did not even see the bike till it landed in my premises. KTM staff is no ways associated with the Kawasaki staff even though they share the same parent in India or premises..its like walking to a Merc showroom and asking the next door BMW sales person to show you the merc.
Old 7th May 2014, 12:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

... First they limit the sales outlet for these bikes to their COCO in Pune (Bajaj who has the widest dealer network) and on top of it they require customers to manage paperwork themselves outside Pune.

Their sales staff is pretty crude too. I had categorically called them and asked that I would come from Mumbai and want to check out the bike including sitting on it to get a feel (not ride mind you).
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Just to clarify. Kawasaki Bombay does not sell the z800,z1000,ninja 1000,zx-10r and the ZX-14r. The bikes are sold only from Kawasaki dealership in Pune and Delhi as of now. So if one expects the Bombay guys to know of the bikes or give td's for the same, its like dreaming. I bought my bike on the phone and email correspondence, did not even see the bike till it landed in my premises. KTM staff is no ways associated with the Kawasaki staff even though they share the same parent in India or premises..its like walking to a Merc showroom and asking the next door BMW sales person to show you the merc.
I know Speedy. But please refer back to my original post - I am aware they sell only from Pune. :-) Just to be clear:

1. All my comments are based on my experience at the Pune Wakdewadi showroom, which is the one you are referring to.

2. The 1st floor of that Pune showroom has high end Kawasaki models (Z800 upwards) on the right and KTM products on the left.

3. The Merc / BMW showroom analogy is completely off the mark. These are unrelated brands. Both KTM and Kawasaki brands are under the Bajaj umbrella and in Pune at least also are within the same premises, on the same floor, within 10 yards of each other.

In any event, its not like I asked KTM @ Phoenix Mills Mumbai or Pro Biking at Vashi to allow me the experience of the Z800. I was at the Pune outlet from where they sell the higher end Kawi brands. I was also standing in the Kawi section not the KTM section. I really can't help it if a KTM person came over on his own volition.

4. Although the dedicated staff are different, they pretty much operate like a combined unit. I had walked in on a Sunday (when limited staff are present), with prior appointment following multiple calls. Also categorically confirming that I am coming from Mumbai on some other work so it is the only day I can actually visit their showroom. I had also categorically confirmed that I will be allowed to sit on the bike, start it to hear the sound but admittedly not be allowed to ride it. This was all specifically agreed to with the relevant Kawasaki sales person. I did not on my visit ask for anything additional that I had not already agreed during my previous calls.

5. Because the Kawasaki person was not there, the KTM person took it upon himself to walk over into the Kawasaki section and advise what I can and cannot do. He categorically mentioned that it is his responsibility to do so in the absence of the relevant Kawasaki person (which I assume may well be the case and is also fine). My grouse is that when I tried to explain my prior discussions and tried to tell him that he can call and confirm this with his colleague, he did not even let me speak and explain and simply kept interrupting with his own spiel. The reception lady who was assisting me was also extremely embarrassed by her colleague's behaviour and in fact apologised later on his behalf. I told her she needn't - she had been most helpful. Despite my communicating my displeasure to the KTM guy, he did not even have the decency to apologise and acknowledge his mistake or his rudeness, once it finally emerged that I had in fact set up my appointment in advance.

6. When I subsequently informed the senior Kawasaki sales person about this in a much later follow up call, he was apologetic too and he was also nice enough to offer me a TD if I wanted. I am not sure if this will be on the road or within their internal compound - if its the latter then it doesn't really add much value. Either way however, my grouse is that it should be more standard protocol to offer TDs and not based on feedback from unhappy first experiences. I have told them that I'll only come for a TD anyway if I'm on the verge of a purchase decision.

Hope this clarifies.
Old 7th May 2014, 12:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know Speedy. But please refer back to my original post - I am aware they sell only from Pune. :-) Just to be clear:

1. All my comments are based on my experience at the Pune Wakdewadi showroom, which is the one you are referring to.

2. The 1st floor of that Pune showroom has high end Kawasaki models (Z800 upwards) on the right and KTM products on the left.
I do realise.. .

I have never been to the showroom, so really don't know.

Quote:
3. The Merc / BMW showroom analogy is completely off the mark. These are unrelated brands. Both KTM and Kawasaki brands are under the Bajaj umbrella and in Pune at least also are within the same premises, on the same floor, within 10 yards of each other.
Let me alter the brands for you. How about Audi and Porsche, both come under the VW banner, thats how KTM and Kawasaki are that fall under the Bajaj banner in India. Two different brands, different sales staff and different procedures of purchase..unrelated to each other even though under the same roof.

Quote:
In any event, its not like I asked KTM @ Phoenix Mills Mumbai or Pro Biking at Vashi to allow me the experience of the Z800. I was at the Pune outlet from where they sell the higher end Kawi brands. I was also standing in the Kawi section not the KTM section. I really can't help it if a KTM person came over on his own volition.

4. Although the dedicated staff are different, they pretty much operate like a combined unit. I had walked in on a Sunday (when limited staff are present), with prior appointment following multiple calls. Also categorically confirming that I am coming from Mumbai on some other work so it is the only day I can actually visit their showroom. I had also categorically confirmed that I will be allowed to sit on the bike, start it to hear the sound but admittedly not be allowed to ride it. This was all specifically agreed to with the relevant Kawasaki sales person. I did not on my visit ask for anything additional that I had not already agreed during my previous calls.

5. Because the Kawasaki person was not there, the KTM person took it upon himself to walk over into the Kawasaki section and advise what I can and cannot do. He categorically mentioned that it is his responsibility to do so in the absence of the relevant Kawasaki person (which I assume may well be the case and is also fine). My grouse is that when I tried to explain my prior discussions and tried to tell him that he can call and confirm this with his colleague, he did not even let me speak and explain and simply kept interrupting with his own spiel. The reception lady who was assisting me was also extremely embarrassed by her colleague's behaviour and in fact apologised later on his behalf. I told her she needn't - she had been most helpful. Despite my communicating my displeasure to the KTM guy, he did not even have the decency to apologise and acknowledge his mistake or his rudeness, once it finally emerged that I had in fact set up my appointment in advance.

6. When I subsequently informed the senior Kawasaki sales person about this in a much later follow up call, he was apologetic too and he was also nice enough to offer me a TD if I wanted. I am not sure if this will be on the road or within their internal compound - if its the latter then it doesn't really add much value. Either way however, my grouse is that it should be more standard protocol to offer TDs and not based on feedback from unhappy first experiences. I have told them that I'll only come for a TD anyway if I'm on the verge of a purchase decision.

Hope this clarifies.
Its a simple thing, if the concerned person for a brand is not available and someone else fills his place, they won't know anything thats informative to you. Since you are in the same place but different section i guess the person would not leave you unattended, its their responsibility. I would not talk to anyone (other sales person) but the manager of SNK for the kawasaki, your talking of a KTM person

I agree, it was wrong on their part, but in my case i was informed, i would not get a TD and would be able to see and feel the bike on display..i refused that offer. In your case a false promise was made and that is not a good sign..if you spoke to Alok at the showroom to fix your appointment..then its really the wrong person..he just gives promises

That is wrong, the person should have confirmed with his colleague and also checked your appointment. Two people from the same brand don't share information, this is another brand person. I shall send a msg to the owner of the showroom and keep him informed of such unacceptable behaviour from the staff.

If they do give a TD, you can request them to let you take it on the road. i suggest you speak to Arzoo (manager Kawasaki) there, she is prompt and helpful. Kawasaki has demo bikes in their basement but for some strange reason do not give them to prospective clients, its given to the press and used for shows. I find it ridiculous as the press guys ruin the bikes and won't be shelling out their hard earned money to purchase them.
Old 7th May 2014, 13:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I do realise.. .

I have never been to the showroom, so really don't know.

Let me alter the brands for you. How about Audi and Porsche, both come under the VW banner, thats how KTM and Kawasaki are that fall under the Bajaj banner in India. Two different brands, different sales staff and different procedures of purchase..unrelated to each other even though under the same roof.

Its a simple thing, if the concerned person for a brand is not available and someone else fills his place, they won't know anything thats informative to you. Since you are in the same place but different section i guess the person would not leave you unattended, its their responsibility. I would not talk to anyone (other sales person) but the manager of SNK for the kawasaki, your talking of a KTM person

I agree, it was wrong on their part, but in my case i was informed, i would not get a TD and would be able to see and feel the bike on display..i refused that offer. In your case a false promise was made and that is not a good sign..if you spoke to Alok at the showroom to fix your appointment..then its really the wrong person..he just gives promises

That is wrong, the person should have confirmed with his colleague and also checked your appointment. Two people from the same brand don't share information, this is another brand person. I shall send a msg to the owner of the showroom and keep him informed of such unacceptable behaviour from the staff.

If they do give a TD, you can request them to let you take it on the road. i suggest you speak to Arzoo (manager Kawasaki) there, she is prompt and helpful. Kawasaki has demo bikes in their basement but for some strange reason do not give them to prospective clients, its given to the press and used for shows. I find it ridiculous as the press guys ruin the bikes and won't be shelling out their hard earned money to purchase them.
Just so we don't lose the wood for the trees, my limited points from all of this are below. The rest is just detail from a specific experience.

(a) I went to Triumph / HD and had a great pre - sales experience.
(b) That was not the case with Kawasaki.
(c) Kawasaki need to widen their sales offering for their higher end bikes. Get the bikes to the customer's city not force the customers to their one / two city across India. (I know you can book on email etc but that's not the point)
(d) Kawasaki needs to offer TDs to potential customers.
(e) These are things that will complement the marvellous steps Kawasaki are taking on the product offering front.
Old 7th May 2014, 15:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just so we don't lose the wood for the trees, my limited points from all of this are below. The rest is just detail from a specific experience.

(a) I went to Triumph / HD and had a great pre - sales experience.
(b) That was not the case with Kawasaki.
(c) Kawasaki need to widen their sales offering for their higher end bikes. Get the bikes to the customer's city not force the customers to their one / two city across India. (I know you can book on email etc but that's not the point)
(d) Kawasaki needs to offer TDs to potential customers.
(e) These are things that will complement the marvellous steps Kawasaki are taking on the product offering front.
(a) they are dedicated showrooms in most cities, the service would be better since there is no monopoly.

(b) they need to open their network to other cities and hire qualified staff, who stick to commitments.

I agree, but on TC plates a vehicle can officially only travel 100 kms from the address provided, thats what i was told for my bike. That is one of the reasons they ask you to come. The other thing is they assume people already know the bikes and there is no need to give test rides.

(d) i would take a step forward and say to anyone who asks for a TD. Someone taking a TD today, could be a buyer after a year too.

(e) Kawasaki first needs to understand the Indian Market and the peoples love for touch and feel. This sorted the next should be to have showrooms in major cities and not to allow monopoly. I guess this would be the best way forward.
Old 17th September 2014, 13:33   #56
BHPian

Just got confirmation from Jai Bajaj in Chennai, Saying an exclusive Kawasaki all super bike store will open in Chennai on 12-Oct-14 opp Kasi theater. Let the good times roll.
SRTH1987 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 13:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTH1987 View Post
Just got confirmation from Jai Bajaj in Chennai, Saying an exclusive Kawasaki all super bike store will open in Chennai on 12-Oct-14 opp Kasi theater. Let the good times roll.
Kawasaki showroom in Chennai That's fourth Kawi showroom in India.
I heard next one will come up in Hyderabad.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 19:35   #58
BHPian

Alright guys, so the new Kawasaki 2015 is here ! The new bike only comes with a New Paint job. Enquired with the Wakdewadi Showroom in Pune about the OTR Price. Here is the break up:

Model : Kawasaki Z1000
Ex-Showroom Price : 12,50,000/-
RTO Registration : 98,054/-
Insurance(0% Dep) : 36,795/-
---------------------------------
Total Price : 13,84,849/-

The delivery time is approx. 20-25 days !!
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Z1000 and Ninja 1000 launched in India at Rs. 12.5 lakh-dyfjhlce.3mc.png  

Artem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 12:40   #59
BHPian

@Artem, there are rumours in the market about a possible 1-1.5 lakh discount / reduction in the price of the Z1000. This may be due to Benelli / Ducati's entry at aggressive prices. I hope these come true.
coolrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 13:10   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Alright guys, so the new Kawasaki 2015 is here ! The new bike only comes with a New Paint job. Enquired with the Wakdewadi Showroom in Pune about the OTR Price. Here is the break up:

Model : Kawasaki Z1000
Ex-Showroom Price : 12,50,000/-
RTO Registration : 98,054/-
Insurance(0% Dep) : 36,795/-
---------------------------------
Total Price : 13,84,849/-

The delivery time is approx. 20-25 days !!
Seen this one at the kawasaki showroom in Bangalore.
Looks stunning. Always thought that the green silver color can't be bettered but this looks better than that in flesh.
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote