Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread

Old 22nd February 2014, 09:45   #211
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Nice review jkdas. It says in there that the ground clearance is 4.75" i.e. roughly 120mm whereas someone had posted that the ground clearance of the Bonne is 140mm. Actual owners may clarify. Interesting observation in the tester's log though "The only thing missing is the excitement".

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd February 2014 at 09:48.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 14:53   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Can you get us a video of how your Bonnie sounds?
I have seen that video of the Arrow exhausts. But, I normally dont trust the sound from a video. I prefer banking on my ears in real time.

Will record my Bonnie's exhaust note and share it on my ownership thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
Thanks gthang.. my gripe with the suspension is more to do with the fact that i can feel every small stone,pebble,crack on the road... Anything less than perfect road and i have to bring the bike to single digit speeds.. Sometimes it makes me look like a fool when vehicles half the size and ten times cheaper just zip through where as i am gingerly testing waters?
That sounds really heart-breaking. Just to outline a comparison of how the Bonnie rides. It has a slightly stiff suspension which is not noticeable on smooth roads but, felt during bad patches but, nowhere close to what you explained about your Iron 883, vibrations of bad patches dont go through so intensely and dont really disturb your riding but, stiffness can be felt

With regards to slowing down on speed breakers, I have done 400kms on my Bonneville and must have gone over a 100 speedbreakers till now and except for slowing down for a few in lane to my home which are really gigantic, I pretty much go over them as if they dont exist and exhuasts never touch/scrape the ground

Quote:
Congrats Avi... Wonderful to hear that your Bonnie has arrived.. Extremely happy for you and hope the Bonnie serves you well for many many years.. might join the Triumph club soon if the user feedback is positive and based on your review ofcourse?
Rash, this thread is about comparison of Iron 883 and Bonneville and you know which bike I bought..LOL!!

According to me, Bonnie is leagues ahead in terms of Performance, Ride and Handling. Hopefully, you'll resonate the same feeling after a thorough test ride of the Bonnie.

Quote:
Had a chance to visit the Bagalore Triumph showroom last week..They are still not offering test rides here.. But the T100 in Red and Black looks smashing..This is the one i would go for?
My sincere request is to ride both SE and T100 and then decide as both ride quite differently although have same engine and overall characteristics

Quote:
Avi, How does the sound compare to the Bullets thump? How does it sound with the Arrow exhaust? Is it worth the 25odd k?
There is no comparison to legendary Bullet's thump. They have a majestic dug-dug firing and Bonnie has a low-end growl/burrrrr type of sound that is distinctly big capacity engine growl.

I own a Classic 500 which has a Race-dynamics ECU map and custom exhuast. It is really loud, bassy and knocks the senses of people when I pass too close to them ( And, makes one hell of a racket in under-ground parking)

You can listen to its sound on this post of my Classic 500 ownership thread but, as mentioned above. Videos dont do justice to actual sound :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2892243

Quote:
Also when i visited the showroom had a chance to sit and feel the T100 though i could not ride it.. Felt the Bonnie seat was huge and could easily seat 3people.. How does it feel in Daily use and City traffic?
Seats are extremely comfortable ( in comparison to Classic 500 that I ride on highways) and 100kms-150kms rides feel like a trip to neighbourhood park. At the moment, iam very happy with its seating posture, handlebar position and seat comfort

Today morning, me and a close friend on his Yamaha RD 350 HT went on the NH7 (Nagpur Highway) for a 150kms ride. It was small brother meeting the big brother time !!!

Look out for a short comparo of these bikes as I rode the legendary RD350 after many many years...Sigh !!
Attached Images

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd February 2014 at 15:18.
mobike008 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 15:06   #213
Senior - BHPian

The RD still pulls the eyeballs and manages to overshadow your really otherwise gorgeous bike Avi. Or maybe only for sentimental oldies like me.
Old 22nd February 2014, 16:18   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The RD still pulls the eyeballs and manages to overshadow your really otherwise gorgeous bike Avi. Or maybe only for sentimental oldies like me.

Ebonho- I dont blame you! Inspite of my love for the Bonnie, as a past RD owner, I was also automatically sucked towards the RD. This particular one sure looks like a well kept example. And just reminded me again on one of the biggest regrets in my biking life...selling my RD almost 23 years back!
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:03   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Ebonho- I dont blame you! Inspite of my love for the Bonnie, as a past RD owner, I was also automatically sucked towards the RD. This particular one sure looks like a well kept example. And just reminded me again on one of the biggest regrets in my biking life...selling my RD almost 23 years back!

I fully second all the sentiments expressed by Doc and Haroon.

Avinash, RD 350 would not have been totallly out of pace of Bonnie, if the RD 350 has the innards matching the looks. Thr 350 is looking beautiful and congrats to your friends for having such a machine

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:26   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Today morning, me and a close friend on his Yamaha RD 350 HT went on the NH7 (Nagpur Highway) for a 150kms ride. It was small brother meeting the big brother time !!!

Look out for a short comparo of these bikes as I rode the legendary RD350 after many many years...Sigh !!
I really have to say that both the motorcycles look quite brilliant, especially in the stance they have been captured, (more in the second image with you not capturing the limelight ).

I haven't ridden either, but loking at that particular image, the first thought that I had was "Avi ne kaunsa liya tha?" [Which one did Avinash buy?]

I have just penned down the exact words that came to my mind. Offcourse both are classics in their own realm, but hey, the moment captured is just beyond words, its just priceless.

Thank you
Old 24th February 2014, 10:31   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Interesting observation in the tester's log though "The only thing missing is the excitement".
dkaile : You are a true HD fan. You also note the tester mocks the use of cast wheels. What he should have known is that the modern Bonneville model uses alloys to be consistent with what was done in the 70s.

As regards excitement, I was in Kuala Lumpur this weekend, and saw the bonnie and the T100 in person. The bike is beautifully proportioned, and looks so much better in real life than in pics. Didn't even need to fire up the engine to get my heart rate up. So let's stop nitpicking.

It infact reminded me of the RD350, so it is awesome to see pics of the two together today.
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 11:35   #218
Senior - BHPian

Haroon, Ram, I just love the look of a stock well kept RD. No changes, right down to the correct seat rexine/shape, indicators, instruments, mudguards, sealed beam dome, handle, and pipes (even with dents). I can never get bored of looking at the RD.

In fact so nostalgic have I become, that I dug into my folders of scanned college day photos from the early 90s and wanted to share these of two RDs in my close group. These were typical hostel RDs. Not nice and shiny. Used day in and day out as regular rides, touring, etc. Pune was probably RD city in those days, though Bangalore guys from the same era would like to refute that claim.

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-030.jpg

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-099.jpg
ebonho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 12:44   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
dkaile : You are a true HD fan.
But then I am also a fan of Kawasaki, BMW and many other motorcycling brands. What I find interesting on this thread is that anything said contrary to the views of the Triumph 'fans' is immediately taken as nitpicking. Triumph is NOT the holy grail of motorcycling for me. It is just one the good bikes around. I even consider the Speed Triple/Storm/Rocket III great packages. I have seen the Bonneville in the flesh. It didn't 'excite' me by the looks and the first look is very important for my buying decision. The same was said by that Tester and that is all that I repeated. So to each his own.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 13:00   #220
Senior - BHPian

As per the report, the Bonneville has a measured top speed of 120.1 mph (192 kmph).

It does the quarter mile in 13.52 seconds, with an exit speed of 97.83 mph (this is from a standing start in 400 meters).

And it hits 100 kmph in 5.2 secs and 100 mph in 15.6 seconds.

I am probably not as fortunate as the tester with his access to exotic high end bikes, but the above sounds pretty exciting to me.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 13:40   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Ebonho- I dont blame you! Inspite of my love for the Bonnie, as a past RD owner, I was also automatically sucked towards the RD. This particular one sure looks like a well kept example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Avinash, RD 350 would not have been totallly out of pace of Bonnie, if the RD 350 has the innards matching the looks. Thr 350 is looking beautiful and congrats to your friends for having such a machine.
Totally agree with all your thoughts and emotions. During my early days I used to love only 3 bikes (RD 350, RX100, Shogun in sequential manner) and there was not a 4th bike that attracted me like how these trio did.

My friend who owns this bike is an enthusiast like us and loves everything related to automobiles and has varied passion in them. He owns 3 Bullets ( 59,86, 92) and RD 350. He also owns new Laura and Jeep ( MM550) and is a hard core biker ( Moderator for the biggest bullet group in Hyderabad; Wanderers) and is also an equally hardcore offroader.

So the RD 350 has to be well kept. No?

Btw, his collection of riding accessories is to die for. Must have spent a small fortune on them

Agree with Ram, If only the RD 350 matching the innards to Bonnie and it would have been a different story. My quick take on RD 350 viz.a vis Bonnie

1. RD 350 is much lighter and also feels same especially after changing saddle from a Bonnie

2. Slot into 1st gear and, it practically shivers, squirms and feels like woken up from a sleep and ready to do a death dance with that lovely growl of the engine. It takes off super fast and machine feels powerful throughout but, lacks the butter smoothness of the Bonnie

3. It doesnt handle even half as good as Bonnie but, for a machine made in 1983, it feels brilliant and planted to a large extent

4. Brakes doesnt have 1/3rd the bite of a Bonnie, it was actually scary as I was slowing down after 100kmph as wasnt sure if i can stop if required in a hurry ( maybe a bit of practice would do good as my friend was almost at my tail most of the time but, then being in run-in period i didnt cross 110kmph and a few bursts at little higher speeds)

5. Power delivery is very aggressive, whereas Bonnie's power comes in extremely fast, smooth and silent like a "Ghost"

Summary : Bonnie feels so much like an RD350 but, it benefited from new age technology in two important aspects; Power and Handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I haven't ridden either, but loking at that particular image, the first thought that I had was "Avi ne kaunsa liya tha?" [Which one did Avinash buy?]
Thank you for your lovely words. Apologies for the image quality as whatever image you see on this thread until now as been only through my mobile phone camera ( despite owning a lovely DSLR with many lens).

Call me plain lazy for not whipping out my DSLR which hopefully will happen for my ownership thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
As regards excitement, I was in Kuala Lumpur this weekend, and saw the bonnie and the T100 in person. The bike is beautifully proportioned, and looks so much better in real life than in pics. Didn't even need to fire up the engine to get my heart rate up. So let's stop nitpicking.
Your one of the few members who have mentioned they like the look of a Bonnie.

Present day scenario is unless a motorcycle looks like a "Batmobile" from Batman movies, its design is neither asthetic nor appealing.

Quote:
As per the report, the Bonneville has a measured top speed of 120.1 mph (192 kmph).It does the quarter mile in 13.52 seconds, with an exit speed of 97.83 mph (this is from a standing start in 400 meters).And it hits 100 kmph in 5.2 secs and 100 mph in 15.6 seconds.

I am probably not as fortunate as the tester with his access to exotic high end bikes, but the above sounds pretty exciting to me.
Doctor saab, you have let me down.

I was saving these exciting numbers for my ownership thread. But, since you let the cat out of the bag, yes more than these figures what's important is how it goes there is even more exciting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
But then I am also a fan of Kawasaki, BMW and many other motorcycling brands. What I find interesting on this thread is that anything said contrary to the views of the Triumph 'fans' is immediately taken as nitpicking. Triumph is NOT the holy grail of motorcycling for me. It is just one the good bikes around
Agree with you on Triumph not being a holy grail in motorcycling. But, then Harley is also not one.

I urge you to ride a Bonneville and please post your comments OR even better a comparison report with your Harley Davidson Superlow. That would be one interesting read !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th February 2014 at 13:46.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 14:10   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doctor saab, you have let me down.

I was saving these exciting numbers for my ownership thread. But, since you let the cat out of the bag, yes more than these figures what's important is how it goes there is even more exciting
These are more than respectable numbers. Granted its a parallel twin. Granted its an almost 900 cc motor. But it has a similar top speed (if not outright acceleration) to the highly tuned KTM 690 single. That's really impressive and changes my perception from what till now was of a very very good retro classic with good performance, to a serious bike with really good performance on a very sensible ergonomics and (two-up) touring friendly package. Put decent pipes on to her and you never know she could very well touch 200. Good buy bro (how much was it on road again???)!

What are the bhp and torque figures of your bike?
Old 24th February 2014, 17:41   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's really impressive and changes my perception from what till now was of a very very good retro classic with good performance, to a serious bike with really good performance on a very sensible ergonomics and (two-up) touring friendly package.
Now you know why I chose the Bonneville over the Iron 883?

It packs enough performance for pleasure riders like me and satisfy my ever need for power

Quote:
Put decent pipes on to her and you never know she could very well touch 200.
She already does. Just use the search string " Top Speed of Triumph Bonneville" on youtube and view the first video

Quote:
Good buy bro (how much was it on road again???)
It costed me 6.72 Lakhs On Road Hyderabad. Just compare this with Iron 883 which would have costed me 8 lakhs OTR. And, Unlike the Bonnie, HD's can never be taken out of showroom without paying tax, on mandatory accessories, so it just didnt make sense especially when its peformance pales in comparison to Bonnie

That additional 1.25 lakhs saved will be well-spent in sprucing up Bonnie with performance accessories and petrol over next 3 years

Quote:
What are the bhp and torque figures of your bike?
68PS and 69NM of torque from as low as 2500rpm and redlines at 8000rpm

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th February 2014 at 18:10. Reason: typos
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 11:54   #224
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

In fact so nostalgic have I become, that I dug into my folders of scanned college day photos from the early 90s and wanted to share these of two RDs in my close group.
Fantastic!! Avi, Please start an ownership thread now with all these comparos. It's great to see the RD in the same frame as your bonnie.

Doc, Is that you with the mustache? haha! Fabulous images both of them. Can't miss the nepali cap on the blue RD rider.
Old 25th February 2014, 13:17   #225
Team-BHP Support

Dear All,

Iam happy to announce that finally my ownership thread on Triumph Bonneville is LIVE

It can be found here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...omes-home.html

Look forward to all your comments and brickbats

Cheers
Avi
Closed Thread