Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 11:32   #766
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,229
Thanked: 6,471 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Try with recommended Psi and see if there is a difference during your longer trips.
Iam using the company recommended PSI which is 32 (F) and 36(R).

I was shared that pic by someone who owns a Triumph. I never checked the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I am using company recommended Psi and more than 5-6 pounds from that makes a huge difference in handling.
Didnt understand your comment Jaggu, your saying you use company recommended pressure and extra 5-6 psi in same breath?

About 7-8 guys from our group are riding to TATR (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadoba_..._Tiger_Project) on Oct 24th

Will try higher air pressure and see if it makes sense
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 11:38   #767
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,067
Thanked: 5,870 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Iam using the company recommended PSI which is 32 (F) and 36(R).
The image shows higher esp for rear? So i assumed you are running low.

Quote:
I was shared that pic by someone who owns a Triumph. I never checked the source.
Triple the pressure mentioned in image is correct 34/42, says the manual.

Quote:
Didn't understand your comment Jaggu, your saying you use company recommended pressure and extra 5-6 psi in same breath?
I meant deviating from OE recommended pressure makes a big difference, towards handling. Lower pressure esp will give bad handling, higher typically will give you better high speed handling, but then how high is quite dicey thing to figure out coz ride can become very choppy and unpredictable on less than perfect surface. So stick to company specified psi for a particular tyre.

In short i recommend OE pressure, NOT higher pressure for less than ideal indian roads If its only city pottering lower pressure is ok since you are not very bothered with handling, more worried about your behinds.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th October 2014 at 11:40.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 12:20   #768
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,173 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Asking with respect to roll-on acceleration and not absolute top speeds.
If anything, I believe the 390 would actually as quick, if not quicker. For a fair distance into its powerband. In real life riding conditions in fact, unles you got a Kolhapur Belgaum type of stretch, the 390 could and would probably be on their tails if not ahead.

I don't know if you have heard of the Bhatena family in Pune. Lots of racing pedigree there. Aspi was I think the first Indian to race at the IOMTT. And is a tester and consultant for a number of manufacturers and auto journals. Sheri is Pune's top SBK tuner and has been building and tuning race bikes for decades now (from their PARA days). Their sister too is/was into rallying. The other 2 brothers are also motor and gearheads.

I was at their workshop the other day and Sheri was waxing eloquent about this tiddly bike and what a sting it had in its tail. They actually dragged a 390 against a race prepped TZR as well as a I4 CBR 600R. And the 390 was actually ahead till a reasonably high speed (cannot write the speeds here because yes, this was on public roads) .....

These guys know all there is to know about bikes. And yes, each of them can ride. And have ridden and have been riding a lot of really big and fast bikes all their lives. Not just regular road bikes, but full blown race prepped ones at that. So not only do they tend not to be impresed too easily, they speak their minds quite clearly (in private) and when they tell me something, I tend to listen.

Last edited by ebonho : 16th October 2014 at 12:32.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 12:49   #769
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,229
Thanked: 6,471 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I meant deviating from OE recommended pressure makes a big difference, towards handling. Lower pressure esp will give bad handling, higher typically will give you better high speed handling, but then how high is quite dicey thing to figure out coz ride can become very choppy and unpredictable on less than perfect surface. So stick to company specified psi for a particular tyre.
Let me try these figures for my city run and then see if its comfortable to use the same for our long ride next weekend

Btw, I check tyre pressure for all my vehicles weekly (except for Cruze which runs on Nitrogen so it gets checked once a month)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 12:58   #770
BHPian
 
dreamseller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mohali/SGP
Posts: 366
Thanked: 314 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Looks much better in person. I personally didnt like the back-rest as it spoils the overall look of the Bonnie SE. I think it would look good on a T100
To be honest, I was actually thinking that something was missing in this equation, and now you pointed it out: the spoked wheels.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
If anything, I believe the 390 would actually as quick, if not quicker. ............ So not only do they tend not to be impresed too easily, they speak their minds quite clearly (in private) and when they tell me something, I tend to listen.
Doc, who doesn't know about the Bhathenas!
I have been following Mr. Aspi Bhathena on print media since I was a kid. Anyway, what you said does seal my belief in that machine.

On a not too unrelated note, and I haven't ridden the 390 well enough to comment on it, but somehow I wasn't grinning ear to ear as I was after riding the 200 for the first time. Maybe because the 390 doesn't do as much drama as the 200 does while accelerating.


P.S. Apologies Avinash for going OT on your ownership thread.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 22:35   #771
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,229
Thanked: 6,471 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

A big salute to this polish woman

She rode her Triumph Bonneville SE across USA covering a distance of 19,728 kms in 80 days

Here is a lovely video related to this phenomenal achievement

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 12:06   #772
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,592
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Let me try these figures for my city run and then see if its comfortable to use the same for our long ride next weekend

Btw, I check tyre pressure for all my vehicles weekly (except for Cruze which runs on Nitrogen so it gets checked once a month)
Avi; looks like that Triumph jacket is a hit too? Are those leathers? Can you also do a para about it?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 12:19   #773
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,229
Thanked: 6,471 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Avi; looks like that Triumph jacket is a hit too? Are those leathers? Can you also do a para about it?
Well, I cannot comment about the Triumph Jacket being a hit but, I dont like it at all

As its common, many people buying a brand like this will splurge on getting all related branding stuff. But, I was sure that I wont buy the Triumph branded clothing as quality wasnt good and pricing is through the roof

For e.g:- The black and red jacket that you see some of the folks wearing in the group is for about 10.5K and its a light weight and doesnt look good quality compared to the one that I wear (AGV Sport with Titanium bits on shoulders that I paid 6K in USA)

Another example is their gloves are 3K-5K and nothing great shakes. I think Spartan makes equal or better quality
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:29   #774
Newbie
 
chatto63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 20
Thanked: 22 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Finally the license has come with an endorsement for motorcycles, I must say I was impressed with the RTO office at Vasant Vihar. Clean , efficient and I got the endorsement after applying for learners & giving a road test with a minimum of fuss. Have booked a test ride with Triumph for the T100 for Sunday , will keep you'll posted as life meanders on. Will also take a test on the Bonneville SE but hear seems to be veering around to the T100
chatto63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 09:35   #775
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,229
Thanked: 6,471 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Wish all members a happy and prosperous Diwali. Ride Safe !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatto63 View Post
Finally the license has come with an endorsement for motorcycles, I must say I was impressed with the RTO office at Vasant Vihar. Clean , efficient and I got the endorsement after applying for learners & giving a road test with a minimum of fuss. Have booked a test ride with Triumph for the T100 for Sunday , will keep you'll posted as life meanders on. Will also take a test on the Bonneville SE but hear seems to be veering around to the T100
Wonderful. Nice to know that you finally got your license and can take the test rides officially

Request you to ride both Bonnie T100 and Bonnie SE and share your detailed feedback with us here

If heart is set on T100, then you should not look at anything else
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 23:38   #776
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,592
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Being the default Bonnie thread, posting this here.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images
 
jkdas is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:59   #777
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 27
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Last Sunday before Diwali on one of the breakfast rides to Lepakshi, I ended up having to call the RSA (Road Side Assistance) to tow the T100 into the workshop. Basically after assembling from starting point, after riding for about 4kms I noticed a sudden drop in acceleration followed by a marked fuel smell which got me to halt immediately. After a couple of minutes tried to start it again and noticed left silencer smoking. After about 45 mins of waiting post the call to the RSA, the vehicle got towed back.
The bike was due for first service and the workshop guys mentioned that it was some relay problem.
Fingers crossed and hope this is a one off event for my bike.
live&ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 14:15   #778
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,229
Thanked: 6,471 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by live&ride View Post
after riding for about 4kms I noticed a sudden drop in acceleration followed by a marked fuel smell which got me to halt immediately. After a couple of minutes tried to start it again and noticed left silencer smoking. After about 45 mins of waiting post the call to the RSA, the vehicle got towed back.
The bike was due for first service and the workshop guys mentioned that it was some relay problem.
Fingers crossed and hope this is a one off event for my bike.
Sorry to know that. This could possibly be the first instance of a Bonnie failing mechanically that I came across

Were you not able to start the bike or you just decided to wait for RSA to turn up after the power drop and fuel smell?

Hope the bike is back with problem solved. Do update us
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 08:48   #779
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 27
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Were you not able to start the bike or you just decided to wait for RSA to turn up after the power drop and fuel smell?

Hope the bike is back with problem solved. Do update us
I was able to start the bike and then noticed the left silencer smoking. So shut it down and waited for the RSA.

I am told that the bike will be ready today after the relay fix and first service done. A good 10 days after the incident.
live&ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 15:26   #780
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,665
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sorry to know that. This could possibly be the first instance of a Bonnie failing mechanically that I came across

Were you not able to start the bike or you just decided to wait for RSA to turn up after the power drop and fuel smell?

Hope the bike is back with problem solved. Do update us
Quote:
Originally Posted by live&ride View Post
I was able to start the bike and then noticed the left silencer smoking. So shut it down and waited for the RSA.

I am told that the bike will be ready today after the relay fix and first service done. A good 10 days after the incident.
I enquired about this when I was at Keerti last weekend. The part that failed is the relay that controls the EFI to the left cylinder. This is an electronics part and as all would agree the failure of these things are not really expected or predictable.

But the dealeship could have been better prepared by keeping atleast one set of relays in stock. But it appears that even Triumph India may not have had this in stock as evident from the 10 day delay.

Its rather bad "karma" that it happende to your ride l&r, whilst I have not come accross this in any of the related forums.

This was a frequent issue with good old RD 350s with one cylinder stopping to fire

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai. EDIT - Now in Bangalore, India. r_nairtvm Superbikes & Imports 202 28th October 2014 11:27
Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true sanketdesai82 Superbikes & Imports 28 16th April 2014 01:20
Difference between a Bonneville and Bonneville T100 BEEM3R Superbikes & Imports 4 19th September 2006 09:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks